• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Opinions on fanny packs.....

I'm pear shaped, and therefore resist anything that may accentuate my nice small waist, and my disproportionate hips!:rolleyes:

I broke down and bought a small waist pack last year at Disney Springs because my Baggalini cross body bag was hurting my neck. I love it. I do only wear it at Disney, though. I wear it to the side on my hip and my shirt covers the strap.

I have a decent looking fanny pack by Lesportsac that I attempted to carry last trip. I normally carry a crossbody purse. One thing I didn't like is that I was constantly sliding it around whenever I sat down on a ride. When I sat down at a restaurant or for a break, it was uncomfortable and found myself taking it off. Whenever I wore my crossbody purse, I found it more comfortable and easier to forget I had it on me. I felt like I was always fidgeting with the fanny pack to make it comfortable, make lap bars fit more easily, etc. YMMV.

I use a fanny pack all the time for hiking, outings, concerts, etc.

I go to a college where hiking and outdoor activities are all the rage and a fair amount of student use fanny packs-in a conveniently ironic way. They're a popular seller at a campus bookstore.

I think you just have to own it and embrace it if you're going to use one.

I have a smaller fanny pack and a larger one, both in plain black leather, that I bought cheap at a local flea market. I only wear them when traveling, and I wear the pouch part towards the front with my t-shirt over it. The smaller only holds an iPhone and some ID and cash and not much more, but the larger can fit sunglasses and a second phone plus some other odds and ends as well. They're comfortable, convenient, can't be lost or left behind on a bus or ride vehicle, and deter thieves and pickpockets. And if the fashion is coming back, all the better. But not being in style didn't keep me from using them for the last 25 years... :-)

I was one of those that didn't want to look silly wearing a fanny pack at Disney last October. Thought they were outdated. I don't like straps on my shoulders for long and being a little heavier I don't like cross body bags on me. So I opted for the fit belt. 1st day at the park I realized I couldn't put everything in it I wanted. Sunscreen, sunglasses, phone, money and stuff, park maps. That's about all I carried. It just wouldn't fit. So I said screw it and bought a Disney fanny pack. Best decision I made. So many other people had them, if anyone thought I looked weird... well, I didn't really care. I was going for comfort and convenience!

I bought a "waist" pack a few years ago and I think it's great. I bought it at ebags and it has space for 2 waterbottles. It can get heavy if loaded with 2 water bottles, but it's perfect for rides - just swing around to the front and off you go. Crossbody's are annoying across my neck and crossing over my chest. I found backpacks are always being put on or taken off and then look for somewhere safe to store it. It's all about function and comfort for me when trudging around Disney.
I have one like this too and it is great. Mine can even be used as a purse instead of around the waist. I use it at the parks and I could give two hoots what anyone thinks.

My only opinion is that we need to call them waist packs so we don't make the British and Australians faint. (That f word refers to the part of the body that midwives deal with)

Yes, thank you! I refer to that part of the body as the "front bottom".

As for the bag, I can't completely get away with being hands-free. I have this bag which has some nifty security features to avoid people from reaching their hands into your bag and RFID blocking chips, and is easy to stow by your feet when riding rides and isn't as bulky as carrying a backpack.

Believe it or not, fanny packs are becoming a thing again! Top designers had them on the runway last year.

I don't have a recommendation on one brand over another. Good luck!
Yes. According to my DD18 they are back in fashion. She took my Mickey one I had saved from years ago & used it in our last Disney trip.

I'm from the U.K., so the term 'fanny pack' makes me giggle... but I would call a waist bag 'a bum bag' which would probably makes lots of you guys laugh too!

Ooh... I like "bum bag"! lol! :rotfl:

I was originally planning to go light, and just carry whatever I need in my cargo pockets, but then I kept thinking of extra things I want to bring. I heard that if security sees your cargo pockets bulging they'll make you go through security anyway. I don't like having to mess around with swinging bags and the straps end up bothering my should and neck, so I opted for a "bum bag". I don't care what others think, I want comfort and hands free convenience!

This is the one I bought.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GWYTFPY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It looks like it should hold what I want perfectly, and I like having the D ring to attach things with carabiners if needed.

NEVER! I seem to remember a previous season of project runway and one of the designers did packs for their line. While the judges were critical that there were too many of them, all I could think of is if a 9 foot size zero looks goofy what does a 5 foot 4 full figured woman look like! I solved my problem of what to carry I have my husband carry the back pack! LOL!

NEVER! I seem to remember a previous season of project runway and one of the designers did packs for their line. While the judges were critical that there were too many of them, all I could think of is if a 9 foot size zero looks goofy what does a 5 foot 4 full figured woman look like! I solved my problem of what to carry I have my husband carry the back pack! LOL!

She'll look like a 5 foot 4 full figured woman enjoying being hands free, without her neck bothering her, enjoying her time at Disney. Honestly!

If I'm wearing sports shorts I hate having stuff in my pockets so I use a fanny pack every time. I think they're convenient. Once you get your straps adjusted just right they sit pretty comfortably on your hip or backside. You never have to worry about losing your stuff on rides.

My name is Rich and I...I like fanny packs :o

Last edited:
Yes I have the hipster in 2 Disney prints.
I also have the little hipster.
I've used both at the parks.
AS I said the one is bigger than I need and the other is a tad small for my liking.
I wish the double zip hipster was made slightly differntly and that would probably be much perfect bag.
And YES I totally agree VB should get in the fanny pack market!

I always use my mini hipster but used to feel that it wasn't quite big enough because there was no good place to put my sunglasses when I wasn't wearing them where they would be safe and not fall out, or cause the bag to bulge out uncomfortably, a couple years ago I decided to clip a small drawstring sunglasses bag to the strap and I was finally able to fit everything in/on my mini hipster comfortably!

I would never be able to use a fanny pack because I don't like things around my waist, and I don't think that most of the ones I have seen have as much capacity as my mini hipster, and if they do it looks like it is just one cavernous pocket, and I like the different dividers and pockets of my mini hipster.

Fanny packs are simply put the most useful and practical bag in existence,especially at theme parks!!Maybe not at Disney but at other parks like Sea World and Universal there's tons of rides that would require sticking a bag in lockers,with a fanny pack you're good to go.My old one broke and I bought one that I don't particularly care for as its not the nicest looking one out there but it gets the job done.I have to go look to buy a nicer one.We have an REI opening soon in Winter Park and when I saw it in construction the first thing I thought is that they must have a nice one and as soon as it opens I plan to check it out for a fanny pack.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter