Opinions For Party of 5 Please

I wouldn't want to share a room with my family plus a person who isn't family. I would get two rooms at a moderate or value.

I would do the rooms like this:

DH and yourself in one queen and then DD in the other queen - same room

DS and BF each in a queen in the other room

I believe that if you are inviting your almost 20 year olds boyfriend on vacation you need to be ok with them having alone time because they will find a way.

I personally would probably say no because I wouldn't want to change my entire vacation for an extra person. DS turns 20 tomorrow and if he asked me today if he could bring his girlfriend on our next vacation it would be a NO immediately. If it was his wife or fiancé that would be a different story.
We are leaning toward two rooms at Port Orleans Or Hilton Bonnet Creek(request for connecting, but know it’s not guaranteed) with the room arrangement as you stated. There really will be little opportunity for alone time as its been discussed and agreed upon that it’s a family vacation and we will stick together, not separate off from each other. However, they go to college together and live In the same dorm building, so I’m not naive, but at the same time do not want to invite or encourage anything.
Part of me is regretting the offer to bring him now that I see the difficulty in the arrangements but the other part is excited to see him experience Disney for the first time. Too late to retract the offer now, so I will just look at the positives!

Last edited:
I would still opt for two rooms for sleeping surfaces, two bathrooms, and JMO - I think that your son and daughter should have their own beds.
I agree...I was originally desperately trying to make some of my favorite resorts work, just because they’re my favorites, and getting two rooms at those were out of budget. Now that I’ve spent time thinking about it and have come to terms with not being able stay at any of them this trip, I can start being more practical. I just so love Wilderness Lodge! (And have always wanted to stay at Grand Floridian or Boardwalk.... another time I guess)

If anyone is still reading.... we think we have narrowed it down:
1. 2 rooms at Port Orleans Riverside (me, dh, dd one room, ds, bf other room) request for connecting rooms but know it’s not guaranteed. Most expensive but In Budget
2. 2 rooms at Hilton Bonnet Creek (same as arrangements above). Less expensive
3. 1 suite at Doubletree Disney Springs (1 king, 2 queens, 1 queen pull out, 2 baths guaranteed, but a boring basic hotel/pool)) Least expensive

We have never stayed at a non-Disney hotel and are afraid of losing some of the magic. So I guess that’s all we need to try and decide on now...

1. 2 rooms at Port Orleans Riverside (me, dh, dd one room, ds, bf other room) request for connecting rooms but know it’s not guaranteed. Most expensive but In Budget
3. 1 suite at Doubletree Disney Springs (1 king, 2 queens, 1 queen pull out, 2 baths guaranteed, but a boring basic hotel/pool)) Least expensive

We have never stayed at a non-Disney hotel and are afraid of losing some of the magic. So I guess that’s all we need to try and decide on now...
Have you checked out pricing for Coronado Springs for your dates? Whenever I am booking, it is the least expensive of the moderates (and actually my favorite moderate, and I have stayed at all of them!)

No adjoining rooms at Pop or All Stars? You could probably match the Hilton Bonnet Creek in terms of price, or even less.

How about Cabins @ Fort Wilderness? I've never stayed there but it looks ideal for your situation.
I presented that to everyone and got mediocre feedback. I think the issue is we have gone cabin camping up where we live a couple times every summer for over a decade. The cabins look identical to those and just doesn’t give off the Disney feel or the Florida feel, it just reminds us of home. I know that sounds a bit dumb, but it is what it is.

Have you checked out pricing for Coronado Springs for your dates? Whenever I am booking, it is the least expensive of the moderates (and actually my favorite moderate, and I have stayed at all of them!)
I have looked at so many things now, I can’t remember. I will go back and check. I think I gravitated to Port Orleans because I’m familiar with it, but will look into CS.

No adjoining rooms at Pop or All Stars? You could probably match the Hilton Bonnet Creek in terms of price, or even less.
The prices did match but my husband wasn’t thrilled with those resorts, he’d rather do a moderate if we stay on property. I’m not sure his rationale. The two rooms at a moderate do work for our budget so it’s ok. Honestly, I kind of like the looks of Hilton Bonnet Creek, I’m just nervous to go out of the Disney bubble.

We had a pretty similar situation this past fall. Family of 5 with a boyfriend in tow. We stayed at Pop- 2 adjoining rooms. All the boys in one room, and DD, DH and myself in the other room. Worked perfectly and we really loved the skyliner. We all stuck together on the trip and all had a great time! We did pay for tickets, meals and snacks for DD's boyfriend - which we budgeted for. He was super appreciative as he is still in college.
You will have a great time! It's always fun to experience Disney again through a new comer's perspective!

I’ll just throw out a treehouse villa at SSR for your consideration. Three bedrooms (one has bunk beds), plus a sleeper sofa. Two full bathrooms and a full kitchen. If you rent thru a DVC owner it could be within your price range.

With that group make up I would definitely stay onsite. I think it would just make it easier. I would go with two rooms at POR. Enjoy your trip!!!!

I was considering booking two rooms and requesting them to be connecting rooms, but I know that’s not guaranteed. I am not sure how I feel about my daughter and boyfriend being alone (well, my son would be there but still) in a non-connected room on a family vacation even though they’re 19.5... I’m starting to feel like okaying him coming was a mistake, but he’s never been to Disney so I was kind of excited for him!

I would stay on-site. I know it’s a family vacation but you’d have to expect that daughter and boyfriend may want to do PM EMH and take the bus back on their own. I believe your son was younger and may not manage as well, or you may find that you’re too tired to stay late. I think they should still have that option available.

Sounds like your planning is coming along. It’ll be a great trip. Have fun!

The prices did match but my husband wasn’t thrilled with those resorts, he’d rather do a moderate if we stay on property. I’m not sure his rationale. The two rooms at a moderate do work for our budget so it’s ok. Honestly, I kind of like the looks of Hilton Bonnet Creek, I’m just nervous to go out of the Disney bubble.

That's entirely fair. I for one don't like the noise associated in the value resorts, especially at certain times of the year. I'd do it in a pinch.

A moderate is a safer bet towards a more relaxing experience. But if I were going to go for a moderate, I'd first look into renting DVC points. Your overall cost will be the same for a much nicer resort.

So many of you have mentioned renting dvc points. Could you point me in a reliable direction for getting accurate information about this? I’ve never looked into it before and doing a google search was a bit overwhelming.

So many of you have mentioned renting dvc points. Could you point me in a reliable direction for getting accurate information about this? I’ve never looked into it before and doing a google search was a bit overwhelming.

David’s DVC is a popular choice on the boards. If you go to his site, you’ll be able to see the cost in terms if points and dollars on his site for your dates. Keep in mind, that doesn’t mean there is availability. It’s just meant to give you an idea of what his rates are.

ETA: Pay attention to the room configuration when looking at DVC. For example, AKL Jambo’s 1 bedroom standard accommodates 5, but is made up of 1 king bed, 1 double sofa bed and a sleeper chair. I don’t think it would not suit your needs. Not to mention, only 1 bathroom.

Last edited:
Have you thought of Saratoga Springs two bedroom? I stayed there with my family a few years ago. We had 7 people in our party. What was nice about the 2 bedroom is that it was set up as like a condo/apartment setting. It has a master bedroom with a king bed and bathroom, another bedroom with 2 queen beds and a full bathroom, a living room with a pull out couch and sliding glass doors going out to a balcony, full eat in kitchen, washer/dryer. What I also liked was that you had one door going in and out of the room. It is in walking distance to DS too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter