• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

opinion please spring mattress vs memory foam

pampam

DIS Veteran
Has anyone regretted buying a quality spring mattress or a quality memory foam? Is one brand better than another?

I am interested in hearing about this too. I have only had one experience with a memory foam mattress at an Air BNB and it wasn't good. The mattress had such a deep well in the middle of the bed that my husband and I kept rolling into each other. The floor was more comfortable. But that was in the earlier days of memory foam so I am not sure if they have improved dramatically?

We are very happy with our Tempurpedic mattress, purchased last year. We bought the Pro-adapt model in firm. A local furniture In business for decades sold out and the bedding line business was purchased by an out of state company. Really good discounts on both mattresses and adjustable beds, so we got a great deal. It took a while to get used to the firmness but it was the right choice for us. And the adjustable bed is amazing.

We just bought a new mattress and went with a regular good quality firm spring one. Husband is on the heavy side, and we were afraid that 'memory foam' would eventually leave a well in the middle of the bed. Salesperson told us that it is an issue with a lot of memory foam ones. We are very happy with the one we bought, which replaced a really really really old one!

We have the best of both - a hybrid mattress, spring base with a memory foam top (and we have an additional memory foam topper over that). We loooove it.

Hate everything about memory foam. We bought a very expensive set of Serta-Perfect mattress and box spring with a memory foam pillow top. I'm sure we'd have gotten 20 years out of the springs but in less than 2 years the memory foam was so depressed it's like sleeping in two separate valleys with a mountain in between. This type of mattress can't be flipped either so there's really nothing to be done but buy a new one. :( And in case you're wondering, we're both relatively normal weights. DH outweighs me by 45 lbs and my side is actually worse than his.

I was recently actually looking at mattresses and I tested a tempura. I hated it. The sales person was actually pretty honest and said either people love it or hate it. And that for people that hate it they sometimes “ feel like t a bug stuck on its back and can’t turn back over”

. LOL and that’s exactly how I felt. With a memory from I kind of felt “stuck” like I can’t roll back-and-forth from back to side. In the end we are leaning for a high-quality spring mattress. We did see some good latex mattresses. But I think in the end a good spring mattress with a pillow top plush is our thing- we are still looking.
Like I said with memory foam people either really love it or hate it. We hated it and I have friends that love it.

I just added a memory foam topper to my older mattress (which is spring with a pillow top) - my physiotherapist recommended memory foam pillows with the concave shape for neck/shoulder issues I have been having. The topper was on sale when I went looking the pillows - so thought I would try it. I must say I have slept better since I put them all on the bed. But even with the topper at first I also felt like I was stuck when rolling over through the night - I have gotten used to it and don't notice it at all now.

Any idea around what time they are supposed to dock?
We were looking at the cool gel hybrids, but I think you can only turn and not flip them.

That was another one of the main reasons why we went with a spring mattress. I wanted something I could turn and rotate, and they told me it can't be done with memory foam ones. I usually flip and rotate every month, just to keep even wear on them.

Personal preference obviously. My husband is not a fan of memory foam. I love them. See the problem? LOL. It's impossible to for any person on a message board to give YOU a definitive answer. To to a store and try them out.

I just want something COOL - I constantly perspire at nights, even with AC and fans. I'm told memory foam is hot, so staying away from that.

I installed a memory foam mattress in my RV and it's been wonderful for almost 3 years. I'll never buy anything but memory foam at this point.

Personal preference obviously. My husband is not a fan of memory foam. I love them. See the problem? LOL. It's impossible to for any person on a message board to give YOU a definitive answer. To to a store and try them out.
Go the European route and look into split mattresses.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter