Ooohh, excited but nervous

British Snow White

Earning My Ears
:wave2: Hello, I think that I might need some words of encouragement from you lovely people...

I love these forums and whilst I haven't posted before, I turn to these boards before, during and after every Disney holiday.

I now find myself single again after 13 years and because I love Disney so much, I'm contemplating booking a solo trip. I'm worried though that I wouldn't know what to do with myself, and I suppose I wonder if I might find it a bit sad to visit somewhere that holds so many happy family (husband, step son & I) memories for me.

I'm thinking of visiting for 10 days in early December this year. Christmas at Disney is my favourite time of year. I've looked up which Disney hotel I'd stay at, which type of room, which ticket, which DDP...I almost went ahead and paid a deposit a few minutes ago, but then I chickened out.

What do you think, should I just go for it? :confused3

:wave2: Hello, I think that I might need some words of encouragement from you lovely people... I love these forums and whilst I haven't posted before, I turn to these boards before, during and after every Disney holiday. I now find myself single again after 13 years and because I love Disney so much, I'm contemplating booking a solo trip. I'm worried though that I wouldn't know what to do with myself, and I suppose I wonder if I might find it a bit sad to visit somewhere that holds so many happy family (husband, step son & I) memories for me. I'm thinking of visiting for 10 days in early December this year. Christmas at Disney is my favourite time of year. I've looked up which Disney hotel I'd stay at, which type of room, which ticket, which DDP...I almost went ahead and paid a deposit a few minutes ago, but then I chickened out. What do you think, should I just go for it? :confused3

I would do it in a heart beat! I haven't been in your specific situation, but Disney is magical! I had a friend go to Europe solo, on a group trip. He met friends. If you get active on the boards, you could easily meet up with people here, for dinners etc.

After a break up, I found keeping myself active, exploring new things, to help a lot. While Disney may not be new to you, you know you love it, so why not?!

I say, if you have the money and time, book!

I hope things get better for you over time. While it's not easy, take time to learn more about yourself. Relationships can tend to become about the other person, you now have the time, to take care of yourself, and learn. Find ways to laugh, and forge ahead!

Please let us know if you do book! And have questions, a lot of people on this board do solos, and love it, and can help suggest tips!

Thanks Neal, that all seems like very sensible advice.

I did have this idea of maybe even arranging to meet up with different people for dinner each night if I do go, not necessarily in a romantic way, but just as a way to meet other Disney fans. I think that it would be really cool to get to know a bunch of new people, possibly on these boards first.

Thanks Neal, that all seems like very sensible advice. I did have this idea of maybe even arranging to meet up with different people for dinner each night if I do go, not necessarily in a romantic way, but just as a way to meet other Disney fans. I think that it would be really cool to get to know a bunch of new people, possibly on these boards first.

That's the angle I would play! Yeah my theory, when I was single, was...I can sit at home, or I can be out doing things. And what better things to be doing than at Walt Disney World?!

I've never done a solo trip to Disney - but I think it would be fun going to do the things YOU like to do. Not having to worry about anyone else's needs but your own.

When I've travelled for work, sometimes I've been by myself. And there's a lot I like about that. I've explored and walked all over new cities by myself, enjoyed museums by myself and enjoyed my meals by myself. Love being with my family, but there was definitely a lot of fun just catering to myself.

I say go for it! I would love to do a solo trip once day. Early December is a wonderful time to visit!

I have a solo trip coming up in under three weeks that was originally supposed to be a couple's trip but we ended up parting ways not to long ago. I planned on canceling like who goes to Disney by themselves but I found this site and read everyone's experiences and opinions and said screw it. I love Disney always have a great time even with dictator styled group leaders haha. I plan on having the time of my life and you can too!!

I've never done a solo trip to Disney - but I think it would be fun going to do the things YOU like to do. Not having to worry about anyone else's needs but your own.

When I've travelled for work, sometimes I've been by myself. And there's a lot I like about that. I've explored and walked all over new cities by myself, enjoyed museums by myself and enjoyed my meals by myself. Love being with my family, but there was definitely a lot of fun just catering to myself.

My wife would slug me, but I can honestly say the 2 years I was single between the ex, and my wife, were 2 of the greatest years I've lived. I found new interests, as well as hobbies from my youth (hiking/camping etc). If I found myself in a similar situation, I'd like to think I'd pull the trigger. I genuinely enjoy doing things alone. Plus...you can get in the single line, and hit rides faster...bonus!

I love the attitude, don't let your ex's dictate your future guys! Make new memories.

Thank you all for your replies, I'm really enjoying reading them.

I have to say that being single in itself doesn't bother me at all, in fact I'm quite excited about life as a singleton.

I almost certainly will end up booking this holiday, I'm already getting that Disney fever :cheer2:

I think that my plan might be to make a reservation for 2 at a different restaurant every night for each night of my trip. Then, I can ask who else might be around at the time and if anyone would like to join me for dinner on any of those evenings. I'm assuming that I will be able to find people who want to meet, but hey, I'm nothing if not optimistic :rotfl:

I have to say that being single in itself doesn't bother me at all, in fact I'm quite excited about life as a singleton.

I almost certainly will end up booking this holiday, I'm already getting that Disney fever :cheer2:

I think that my plan might be to make a reservation for 2 at a different restaurant every night for each night of my trip. Then, I can ask who else might be around at the time and if anyone would like to join me for dinner on any of those evenings. I'm assuming that I will be able to find people who want to meet, but hey, I'm nothing if not optimistic :rotfl:

I will be there the 7th through the 14th. The first half the week will likely be a solo trip. I am always up for good food.

Yey! Hope you stick around to interact here on the boards. I just got active a couple of weeks ago, and am loving it!

Maybe I should point out early on that on any of these potential 'Disney Dinner Dates' I will pay for myself, but I'm afraid whomever I meet for dinner will have to pay for themselves. Don't want people only wanting to meet me for a free meal :lmao: want them to want to meet because of my sparkling personality pixiedust:

kbonner - I'm thinking about being there between 9th & 19th Dec so our paths may well cross :wave2: josh, you too, if you're in the area

neal - I certainly will stick around

I hope that you have a great time Almostexact, I'm sure that you will. I'd love to hear how you get on.

Thanks and You as well! You will hear about it. I'm going to keep a log of what I do and how doing different things feel solo compared to with others, people I meet and stuff like that, I figure it will give me something to do during slow periods throughout the day, and I can share it here hopefully helping people in the future in situations similar to time.

British Snow White said:
Maybe I should point out early on that on any of these potential 'Disney Dinner Dates' I will pay for myself, but I'm afraid whomever I meet for dinner will have to pay for themselves. Don't want people only wanting to meet me for a free meal :lmao: want them to want to meet because of my sparkling personality pixiedust:

kbonner - I'm thinking about being there between 9th & 19th Dec so our paths may well cross :wave2: josh, you too, if you're in the area

neal - I certainly will stick around

I think anyone would expect to pay for their own meal. It is just fun to meet new people and share the experience.

I have 2 solo trips down, a third in planning stages and it is my favorite way to go to Disney. I travel with family and friends on different trips but you will be amazed at how relaxing and fun it is to travel solo! Make sure to book then Christmas Party too. the special parties are so much fun solo because you do not have people pulling different ways. Have fun!

I did have this idea of maybe even arranging to meet up with different people for dinner each night if I do go, not necessarily in a romantic way, but just as a way to meet other Disney fans. I think that it would be really cool to get to know a bunch of new people, possibly on these boards first.

That's what I do, for lunch and dinner, and of course, everyone pays for her/his own meal. If you were going to be there when I'm there, I'd ask you if you'd like to meet for a meal or a few meals, but I'll be there Oct. 22 - Nov. 2. Already meeting up with people for many of the meals and still have a few openings to meet with others.

:woohoo:I've booked my trip!! I'll be there from 3rd - 12th Dec.

Thank you everyone for your words of encouragement.

(Also, I've recently seen the big and long established thread for solo travellers arranging to meet to eat...how did I miss that?? Silly me )

SueDonym3 (love the name!), I was wondering about going to the Christmas party, but I discounted it as I didn't think that it would be much fun for someone on their own. However, since you've recommended it I think that I will reconsider. I've never done any of the ticketed events, and they do sound like a laugh.

:yay: Disney!

You might also think about doing a tour or two. I would love to do this on a solo trip, but DH will never let me go without him. I think you will have a great time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter