Online Check-In Change

kes601

DIS Veteran
I just noticed that for online check they changed the arrival time options -- it is now "Before 4:00p" and then 30 minute increments until you get to "After Midnight". I guess that will stop the complaints about not getting a room when you indicated you would be there, but I imagine it will increase traffic at the front desk for early arrivals.

So was just there at saratoga springs. I checked in on app early in the morning, ~8am. I said i would be there around 9 PM, which was easily true as i was going to be in a park that day till closing. I got an email/ text around 3:30 saying my room is ready and it is #xxxx. Never had to go to front desk as i just went straight to room and opened with my magicband. I found it quite easy, and the fact that it was ready sooner than i needed was fine and i just kept going. Admittedly the one thing i learned this time, is day of check in you can start using your magic band to start charging to room as long as you have a credit card attached.

Probably their way of dealing with grumpy people that felt entitiled to have the rooms ready when they indicated an earlier arrival. Just like the ones that expect their requests to be honored no matter what. I know travel can be stressful, but they can't make rooms that are ready appear out of thin air. People used to be more understanding that they are doing their best.

Probably their way of dealing with grumpy people that felt entitiled to have the rooms ready when they indicated an earlier arrival. Just like the ones that expect their requests to be honored no matter what. I know travel can be stressful, but they can't make rooms that are ready appear out of thin air. People used to be more understanding that they are doing their best.
I completely get why they did it, but for those who can occasionally get a 5:30a flight out and arrive on property by 8:30a it just means stopping by the front desk to tell them you are there vs. the system already knowing that's your anticipated arrival time.

I completely get why they did it, but for those who can occasionally get a 5:30a flight out and arrive on property by 8:30a it just means stopping by the front desk to tell them you are there vs. the system already knowing that's your anticipated arrival time.
It's a shame that Mears or Sunshine Flyer doesn't still use magic bands for the MCO busses, that would let the resort know that you'll be at the resort soon, like it did with Magical Express.

Last edited:

I always do that when we arrive, no matter what, unless I have gotten a room number.

Just to let them know we are on property and will take a first available room.

I always do that when we arrive, no matter what, unless I have gotten a room number.

Just to let them know we are on property and will take a first available room.
If our room isn't ready when we arrive we let them know we are there, but on occasion we've gotten the noon or 1:00 text welcoming us to our room. Now if people who are arriving at 9a, noon, or 3p all put before 4p they won't know who is arriving when.

Again, I 100% get why they did this but it will lead to more visits to the front desk.

I always go to the resort before heading out for the day, no matter what I am doing that day. I get my room:
80% of the time before 10AM
90% of the time before 1PM
98% of the time before 4PM
only twice has my room been ready after 4PM.
Even using online check-in and MBs, I find that going to the front desk still works best for me and getting the personal service that is provided helps with getting the room earlier.

Even using online check-in and MBs, I find that going to the front desk still works best for me and getting the personal service that is provided helps with getting the room earlier.
Agreed. If you are there quite early and they can juggle rooms around they will. Happened to us at Poly 2 Christmas' ago. We were coming from BWV and got over there around 9a in the morning. Our room wasn't going to be ready for a while but they swapped us and somebody else since they had a much later arrival and away we went....

If our room isn't ready when we arrive we let them know we are there, but on occasion we've gotten the noon or 1:00 text welcoming us to our room. Now if people who are arriving at 9a, noon, or 3p all put before 4p they won't know who is arriving when.

Again, I 100% get why they did this but it will lead to more visits to the front desk.

My guess is they will be doing more shuffling for room ready..I actually prefer.

I wish they’d get rid of room requests.

It's a shame that Mearsor Sunshile Flyer doesn't still use magic bands for the MCO busses, that would let the resort know that you'll be at the resort soon, like it did with Magical Express.
I did not think Sunshine Flyer is operated by Mears. They jumped in to fill the gap left by Disney cancelling the Mears contract for transportation.
Mears does still offer services too but no connectivity with Disney AFAIK.

I just noticed that for online check they changed the arrival time options -- it is now "Before 4:00p" and then 30 minute increments until you get to "After Midnight". I guess that will stop the complaints about not getting a room when you indicated you would be there, but I imagine it will increase traffic at the front desk for early arrivals.
Frankly that's a cop out. lol

Using what they have loved to quote for a few years - Not industry standard with other large corporate hotels.

I suspect that if it leads to a lot more front desk traffic, they will add some sort of "let us know when you've arrived" button. It wouldn't be hard for them to build into the Disney app the location services that only allows that to light up when you are on or near property (or perhaps at the airport) so people aren't saying they are there while they are still sitting in the Chicago airport.

You can't do both room ready and requests without compounding disappointment, and they've gone to more and more categories - used to be just Boardwalk that had the categories, but they are now at a lot of the resorts, so room category should be sufficient. Pick one - either room ready or requests. AND then don't let people switch around unless the room has a problem. (A tree blocks my view is not a problem).

4:00 PM checkin is pretty standard for most timeshares we've stayed in - we've even had later (Massanutten was 6 PM for inbound exchangers!).
My supposition is that Disney hotel side is seeing this as well. Hyatts, Marriotts etc. all allow you to select your arrival time in my experience. Certain levels are even guaranteed an earlier room. Disney charges more and is providing "less than the industry standard" in that regard.
I could be wrong, but I think @KAT4DISNEY's point was that DVC tried to sell itself as not industry standard but they are moving more and more to the industry standard (again could be wrong, just my interpretation).
Sarcasam does get lost that's for certain. ;)
It's that plus DVC really is all in tandem with the hotels. They sell DVC cash rooms at a non-differentiated level from the hotels. I would believe this new check in is for all, not just DVC. At the pricing levels Disney has risen to they are back to a lower quality of service vs their peers or at least those they like to tout as peers when it benefits them.

That's the first step to no one gets a room until 4 PM. :)

That's the first step to no one gets a room until 4 PM. :)
My April trip:

"You previously selected 8:00 AM. You may return here before arrival day to modify your selection. Resort check-in begins at 4:00 PM. Selecting a time prior to our official Resort check-in does not guarantee room access before 4:00 PM."

I always go to the resort before heading out for the day, no matter what I am doing that day. I get my room:
80% of the time before 10AM
90% of the time before 1PM
98% of the time before 4PM
only twice has my room been ready after 4PM.
Before 10am?!??!?!?!? Wowza! We have been on a good 30-40 DVC stays and I'd say one time it was before 10am. However, by 1pm is probably a pretty high percentage for me (75% maybe and maybe 85% by 2pm and 90% by 3pm...had quite a few around 4pm and a few after 4pm) and I am happy with that. Well, happy with the by 2pm ish. When it's close to 4pm or after, I am irritated. But don't really expect 10am. Even the couple times we arrived to resort early in the morning. Funny thing is those were the 4-5pm range times, always! This was pre covid times. Seems way better now. Guess they have enough staff now to turn over the rooms by 4pm. Or better management. Prob also helps that we can push check out button on MDE app to let them know we are out. They can get to the rooms as soon as we go and don't have to play the wait and see and knock and wait game.

ALso just noticed doing online check in for SSR preferred view room and selecting room request, they had congress park as a choice but also grandstand as well as near pool and near carriage house. But isn't grandstand standard view? I wonder if they've changed that. That's more points they get if they moved grandstand from standard to preferred, no?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter