• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

One week stay at POR with 5 people, too small?

birmantaz

Mouseketeer
Trying to plan a trip next month and there will be 5 of us (includes 2 kids 5 and 6 and my dad who is 83). Has anyone stayed at POR (with trundle) with 5 and is it ok? Has anyone done it for a week? Last year I was lucky to stay with friends on points in a 2 bedroom at OKW! So, this trip will be the other extreme as far as space. I hope it will be ok, but would love to hear the truth from others who've done it.

Trying to plan a trip next month and there will be 5 of us (includes 2 kids 5 and 6 and my dad who is 83). Has anyone stayed at POR (with trundle) with 5 and is it ok? Has anyone done it for a week? Last year I was lucky to stay with friends on points in a 2 bedroom at OKW! So, this trip will be the other extreme as far as space. I hope it will be ok, but would love to hear the truth from others who've done it.

Truthfully I think you will get cabin fever after a week- too close for comfort. Have you looked into the AS Music Suites- they more offer you way more room to stay in.

They are 2 double beds and 1 small trundle in the room. Depending on how large your family is, it will be tight. You may want to look at the Value Suites for a bit more room (and privacy). I am a travel agent and I booked one of my clients families here (because they wanted to keep the cost down) but they agreed after that it was a little too tight and they should have gone for either the deluxe or one of the Value suites. HTH. Lisa

It really depends on how much time you spend in the room. We've stayed several times with 5 and don't find it too tight. There is also a separate little area off the bathroom that has 2 sinks with counter space for junk and a curtain that closes it off from the rest of the room for privacy. That really helps us with my older girls with privacy since their daddy is in the room too. HTH!! :thumbsup2

We stayed at POR in 05,06,07,08 and staying there in Aug with Free Dining. 2 adults and three kids. We don't spend alot of time in the room other than sleeping. We love it. It would be nice if POR had a suite. We don't think we would enjoy ASM faimly suites.

We stayed there last February with 3 adults and 1 child, and it was fine.

DH and I slept in the bed with the trundle, where DS (the 1 child) slept, and my brother slept in the other bed.

The suites don't appeal to me personally because of the single queen bed. It's great for whoever winds up in the bed, but I pity those who'd get stuck in the sofa bed or pull-out chairs.

Thanks for the responses. I am also thinking of checking out the FW Cabins, do you think they would be a lot better? The only thing is the package comes with the dp, so we don't really need a kitchen etc... I'll have to see what the cabin prices will be.

We stayed at POR in December, there was 5 of us 3 adults and 2 teenage girls. We used a air bed instead of the trundle, as the trundle is for someone under 5 feet tall. We had no problem with space (but we are use to camping 5 in one trailer). We are going in May and we got a better deal by booking 2 rooms at POP. The 2 rooms are great as you get 4 beds and 2 bathrooms, so that maybe another option or you.

You'll have to pay the extra adult fee as well at POR. But you won't have to pay for it at the Cabins.

Personally, I would go for the Cabins or the AS Family Suite.

POR rooms with 5 (3 adults) seems a bit crowded to me.

We had our family of 4(before our latest addition) in a room at POR without a trundle, and it was just perfect.:grouphug: I couldn't even imagine having another adult in the room. Not only would the bed situation be tight, I don't know where you would put clothes/luggage?:crowded:

I would try for the cabin or maybe even try renting DVC points for a two bedroom villa (would give you two bathrooms). We always stay in a two bedroom at the BW and love having the kitchen. We use the CS/TS dining plan an enjoy having a quick breakfast in the room each morning. Its also nice to have cold drinks/snacks on hand to grab and take when we head off to the parks.

We spent 5 nights there last year with the five of us in a room. My DD who was 8 then, had a roll away and then it was one boy and one parent in a bed. I think if your going to be at the parks a lot, then it's doable. There is the screen that you can pull for privacy to get dressed and such.

It may depend on the relationship you have with your dad to be honest. If I was going with my dad, he'd be at the ASM and we'd be at POR :laughing:

I would try for the cabin or maybe even try renting DVC points for a two bedroom villa (would give you two bathrooms). We always stay in a two bedroom at the BW and love having the kitchen. We use the CS/TS dining plan an enjoy having a quick breakfast in the room each morning. Its also nice to have cold drinks/snacks on hand to grab and take when we head off to the parks.

Trying to get a DVC rental for next month would be very hard this late. Especially for the end of May. That's pretty much sold out.

I think for 2 adults and 3 younger children, it would be OK as long as you don't plan to spend much time in the room. For 3 adults and 2 children, that is tight. I would get two rooms at POR
or at a value if money is a big issue. Yes, it would be difficult to rent points at this late date, but you can always try. OKW and SSR are easier to get last minute rentals or you may find someone holding a ressie they can't use.

We stayed at POR last Nov. for 6 nights. There were 6 of us in the room. Me, DH, DD15, DS13, DS6, DS2. Since the youngest was only 2 at the time we could stay there.

It was a little tight but since we were only in the room to sleep, it wasn't that bad. DD is the only girl so she ended up sleeping on the trundle. She is about 5'1" and it was a bit small for her but she didn't mind and said she slept fine. The baby slept with DH and I but I wouldn't recommend that. The beds are way to small.

Now that DS is 3, we are staying in 2 rooms at POP.

I would do POR again if we had to (& if we could) but I'm sure we will be more comfortable in 2 rooms. The only reason we stayed there last year is because it was our 1st trip and I REALLY wanted to stay at Riverside (love the theme). I wanted to try it before DS turned 3 so we wouldn't have to spring for 2 rooms (I know I'm a cheapskate).

I am heading down in June with my Dad (60) and my two daughters (13 & 11). I originally booked one room at ASMu. After some research and reading on the DIS boards, I went back and added another room. I knew we could manage with one room but a week is a long time to be crowded. Also, it allows some of us to nap or go to bed early if desired while the others hang out in the other room. We all have our own beds and two bathrooms. With the 4/3 deal I got, I ended up getting two rooms for the price of one! :)
P.S. The family suite didn't appeal to me much either since it only has one "real" bed. The rest would be on pullouts.

I was booked at POR for 3 adults and either 1 or 2 kids but rebooked two rooms at Pop instead for just about the same price. Then you get 4 beds and 2 bathrooms! Adjoining is fine for us though connecting would be even better.

I also didn't book the allstar family suites because of only 1 real bed.

A 2 bedroom DVC rented with points would be over $2,000 and wouldn't include the free dining that we are counting on to make the trip affordable for us.

We won't be doing the parks but rather the waterparks with leftover pluses to make the best of the August weather.

We are doing POR next month for our first family vacation - 2 adults, 3 children. We decided that we were really only going to use the room for sleeping, so it was worth trying it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter