One night stay then switching

Sweetly

Mouseketeer
Started planning our July 2013 trip :cheer2: for my dd High School Graduation. We don't have a set week yet for July, but we are thinking of staying at the POR. I am so confused and have no idea what to do. I am thinking of flying in the night before our week long trip at the World:cool1: and not sure of where to stay for one night.
My question is: if we stay off property how much of hassle is it to get to our hotel? OR is it just better to stay at one of the values for the night? I want to keep this budget friendly as possible. Thanks!

We prefer staying at a Value for one night. The themeing there really gets you into the Disney spirit, and you can take their bus to go anywhere on Disney property that evening as well.

Personally I would stay on property your first night if you can. The values and possibly even some moderates could be cheaper than off site hotels, and certainly less of a hassle.

If you stay on property your first night, you can take advantage of Disney's Magical express transportation and luggage services. That way you don't have to worry about getting a shuttle/taxi or renting a car for your first night. Also, when you leave the value resort, Disney will move your luggage to POR for you. You can take a bus to one of the parks and transfer onto the POR bus to get to the resort. If you're looking to stay at the values, check out the new Art of Animation. HTH!

We are starting this year and will see how we like it. For us, I am driving down with the three kids and my husband is meeting us the next day. So we figure since there's only 4 of us, why not try a resort that we normally can't stay at with 5. This way we can see them all.

Plus, we drive 18 hours and love the day to just relax. We don't unpack the whole car, instead I pack a seperate bag for the night. We don't do parks, but instead enjoy the resort fully that day/night. Then we will wake up the next morning and check into POR. Can't wait :)

Very much of a hassle i recommend staying at Port orleans riverside your entire trip it is on the grounds and a great hotel

Thanks! I didn't think about the hassle of getting a taxi with our luggage if we stay off site. Plus it gives us the opportunity to check out a different resort.
THANKS AGAIN!!!

Agree with staying at a value on arrival night! We have done so twice and it's been great. We've had a fairly late arrival and just needed a bed to sleep in. Keep your next morning's stuff in a separate bag, and you're ready to get up early the next day and GO! :)

The luggage transfer between resorts is soooo easy. Leave it with the bellman at the Value, tell him you're switching to POR, go to the parks and enjoy! Then you just check in at POR whenever you're ready and pick up your luggage!

If you're looking to stay at the values, check out the new Art of Animation. HTH!

Except that if there are any discount offers, AoA is likelyto be excluded (or only have minimal discounts offered).

I have done the 'discount arrival night' many times. Usually in our case though the 2 resorts offer a bigger contrast- value and deluxe. In our case the difference is usually $200 or more. The difference between a mod and a value is only about $65. If you are doing it purely to save money, it's not worth the hassle and lost time. If you are doing it because you want to see two different resorts, or because you can't get a reservation at your preferred resort, then by all means...

Even with best packing strategies, you are going to lose well over an hour to pack up your room, do the extra check in, take care of the bag transfer. Also, since your second stay is your week long visit- you can't get any of your package perks (park tickets, dining plan) until you check-in to the the second resort. If you don't have a car- you'll either lose over an hour of time doing the transfer by bus (requires two buses) or you'll have to pay for a taxi (likely runs at least $25) So that puts you in the range of losign two hours of vacation to save $40. REALLY not worthwhile, IMO.

When we do resort hopping, we nearly always do it to save upwards of $200. When we do transfers, we nearly always have a car. The only time I did it without ac ar was going to the Contemporary. The CR is unique because you can walk from the MK bus stop.

Still one more thing...and this is a bit delicate - but Disney does give you something for your money. the mods offer more service than the values, and the deluxes offer more service than the mods. (though often for a fee) I like the values for what they offer at the price they offer, but there is a service differnee betwen the different resort categories.

If you are strapped for $$, then there are better ways to save. Watch for discounts, watch for the best airfare deal (taking a late night flight on a Thursday is a GOOD idea- over flying on Friday, Sat or Sun. Tuesday is also agood day to fly.) Many times, I've extended our stays by half a day, because the airfare was SO much cheaper- we effectively got our extra 12hourrs for 'free'- and thus we ended up in our split stay situation, especially when extending the stay at our primary resort wasn not an option.

That said, you have LOTS of time. There are LOTS of ways to squeeze out $65 of savings between now and then. For us, that's skipping eating out a few times. Heck, at WDW, just eating one less TS meal will give us close to that $65! (You could come close to saving that $ by bringing a couple boxes of granola bars).

There are lots of old DIS threads with ways to shave few $ off your visit. If you don have DDP, one little trick is to eat alate breakfast one morning. then you only need two meals that day - a late buffet breakfast and light dinner. Another easy way to save (even with DDP) is to SHARE food. The near-grad is probably a bottomless pit, but the rest of your family can likely share snacks and meals. Also, bringing few food items - like granola bars can help save a little. Drink water with meals.

WE've also done the offsite route. To do that, you basically need a car. Again, the difference between offsite and a moderate is not likelyto save a bundle. One exception might be if your offsite place is points stay (as in you have apoints membership) The Hyatt at MCO is about the only place that I know of that's easy to do without a car, but it's no less $ than POR. the Hyatt won't save you , but if you are flying on a late arrival flight (or very early departure) already to save $, then staying at the Hyatt is easy. the only other factor would be picking an offsite place that includes free breakfast. When we drive, it sometimes makes sense for us to stop at a place that is about an hour short of the drive to WDW - so long as it also includes free breakfast.
If you chose an inexpensive offsite place- many are located in spots that are a healthy drive from WDW. That's another reason why we don't do it UNLESS there is another compelling reason. (like we plan to go to Universal Studios) Again, you just lose too much time to make it worth doing.

Still, if you are really thinking about the one night discount stay- and you will be doing a package- then you may well be better off doing the one night value stay at the END of your trip. That way you will already have park tickets (and you can pick 8day tickets for a seven night stay) you also can continue to use DDP until MIDNIGHT of the day you check out. Over a week long visit, it's easy to have a few leftover DDP credits. You won't have to check into your new resort until the end of the day.

Why not settle in at POR when you arrive this way you are ready to go the next morning? You won't have to worry about getting your bags moved, checking into two resorts, etc.

Thanks so much for everyone's input. I have a few things to think about. Thankfully our trip won't be for at least another 11 months so it give me some time to play around with my options. In the end, we will be at Disney and that is all what matters.

I would either stay at a value for one night--they will transfer your luggage to POR for you the next day--or just add the additional night at POR so you are checked in/settled and ready to hit the parks the next morning. Off site seems like a hassle--checking in and out/moving your luggage/ then checking in again.

We got into Orlando late (8:00) and stayed at the MCO Hyatt. MCO rolled up the carpet at 9:00 and we had a hard time finding a place to eat. Ended up at a FOX sports bar (not the best). Also, DME will not deliver luggage to a resort if you are not going to be there the same day. Should have went to Pop for the night. I learn something new each trip. (Actually, I learned two things this trip but I'm not allowed to talk about the other one - I've been ordered to let it go by DW :mad: )

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter