One more TS - Which would you pick?

Which Non-resort TS restaurant for dinner?

• Captains Grille

• Grand Floridian Cafe

• Boatwrights

Results are only viewable after voting.

jen42002

DIS Veteran
We are staying at POR for 7 nights. I have figured out all my ADRs but need one more. As we will have base tickets and I am not sure which park we will be on that day, I would like to have the ADR at a resort restaurant. I am not concerned about travel time but rather which has the best food/experience. Which one of the three would you pick?

Thanks!

Oops! I meant which RESORT TS, not non-resort. Guess the 24 inches of snow here has affected my brain a bit :)

We had a great experience at the GF Cafe! The service was wonderful, too. Walking around the GF is always pretty cool...believe it or not, our kids love the resort. They have some great gift shops for "window shopping". We always make it a point to visit the GF at least once on our WDW trips.

Happy Planning!

Did not vote yet because you've listed some really different food choices that may come down to personal preference. DH would love Boatwrights because he likes Cajun-type food. I DON'T. But since you are staying at POR it would certainly be the most convenient.

Another consideration - your siggie lists several kids. If you are taking 8-year-olds to a TS restaurant, they have to order off the kids' menu. But it you go to a buffet, they can have anything and everything they want. Solely because of that, how about a non-park buffet dinner like Cape May, 1900 Park Fare, or Boma?

Out of the 3 you listed, I'd go with either GF Cafe or Captains' Grille. We've had great meals at both places.

If you are basing everything purely on menu and quality of food, I would go with GFC. However, based on everything else that I would personally take into consideration, I voted for Boatwright's. The food is ok there, it's not awful but I wouldn't go out of my way to eat there if I wasn't staying at POR. We've done this before when we wanted to do a relaxing night. After dinner, we asked for our desert to go (we were on the DDP), I ran the deserts back to our room and put them in the fridge while my girlfriend waited by the Mill, we took the relaxing boatride to DTD and treated ourselves to Ghirardelli's and walked around DTD for a while. It really made for a nice relaxing evening (and gave us an excuse to get Ghirardelli's ice cream).

If you are planning on returning to the parks after dinner, I would go with GFC. Also, if your choices changed my opinion might change with it.

I eat at the GFC almost every trip and have never been disappointed in the food. The service can be slow though so if park time is a premium this might not be the place for you.

I voted for Boatwright's so you could have a relaxing night at your resort. This way you could maybe go for a swim(if it's warm enough), go for a carriage ride, catch some time at the piano bar, take the boat to DTD, or maybe get to bed a little early that night. You'll need all the rest you can get with 4 8y.o.'s.:scared1:

Have fun.:goodvibes

It sounds like the 50's prime time cafe is for you. The menu is all comfort food (meatloaf, pot roast, fried chicken, ice cream sundaes, milkshakes, etc.) the prices aren't too much (generally $15 dollar range), and it has some great theming. Check it out at the Hollywood Studios.

Also, while a little pricier, the Liberty Tree Tavern at Magic Kingdom basically serves a family style thanksgiving feast, which could also be right up the alley for picky eaters.

Boma at Animal Kingdom Lodge .... we wound up eating there twice when we stayed at AKL ... it is that good. First it is a buffet. Second the range of unique flavors is incredible. From a very pick DSiL to a mostly vegetarian DD and a DGS who was 8 at teh time .... we all loved the food!!!!

Grand Floridan Cafe, without question. It might be the best value for your money on Disney premises. Great food at good prices (for Disney, of course). It's a nice location, too, especially for breakfast or lunch when you can see the courtyard from the windows.

It sounds like the 50's prime time cafe is for you. The menu is all comfort food (meatloaf, pot roast, fried chicken, ice cream sundaes, milkshakes, etc.) the prices aren't too much (generally $15 dollar range), and it has some great theming. Check it out at the Hollywood Studios.

Also, while a little pricier, the Liberty Tree Tavern at Magic Kingdom basically serves a family style thanksgiving feast, which could also be right up the alley for picky eaters.

The OP specifically asked for a RESORT restaurant, as they will not be in a park this day.
I would go with Grand Floridian Cafe.
Enjoy!

I think Boatwright's would be a good idea. I haven't eaten there in many years, so I can't say anything about the food. But because you are staying at POR, Boatwright's seems like a good choice. It might give you and your family a chance to relax a bit and check out the resort, etc.

I have been at Boatrights and GF cafe and GF was much nicer. The food was delicious.

I may be in the minority, but I would actually say that Boatwright's was pretty darn good! I had some Abita beer and a fish with stewed green tomatoes over top. Had a nice sharp, tangy taste to it.

I know that most think GFC is a better restaurant (and they are likely correct), but if you are in the POFQR neck of the woods, and want to go to DTD afterwards, it's a great stop. I was pleasantly surprised by how good it was, to be honest.

Plus, not sure how much of a hidden gem GFC is, b/c everyone seems to love it and talk about going there. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter