on the plane: sneakers or sandals?

suzimar57

Miss my Happy Place.
i'd prefer to wear sandals on the plane, but would sneakers be the safer choice (in the event of an evacuation?) plus the idea of walking barefoot through security (while the sandals are being x-rayed) sounds disgusting.... any thoughts?

How about slip- on sneakers...whats what I wear- you can wear socks with them, & they are easy to get on & off... kind of a halfway point...:)

In the event of an evacuation, I think they make you take your shoes off...in any case, that is not going to happen so don't worry about it! Also, unless your sneakers have a thick sole or a steel shank, you don't have to take them off at Security unless you are asked.

I vote for sneakers bc I cannot tell you how many times I have had my feet hit, run over, stepped on, etc...in airports & on planes. People really do not watch where they are going and I would hate to see you arrive at WDW with a bruised or broken toe!

Have fun.

I don't travel much, but in the last year and a half if traveling in warm weather I always try to wear open toed mules. I fugure the more of my foot security see the less likely it will be that they require me to remove my shoes!

I usually wear my sneakers that way I don't have to fit them in my suitcase. Sneakers are more bulky than slip ons.

You have to take your sandles off while walking through security? That's kinda crazy. How about little girls and sandles?

thanks for all the responses - i'll just wear sneakers on the plane & carry the sandals instead!

If the sandels have metal shanks, off they come regardless of your age! If they have big metal buckels same deal (sometimes little buckels can slide thru!)

yes, the last time i went thru the airport, my underwire got caught 2 or 3 times..which is quite embaressing..but me and my fam being the lucky people we are, got the pleasure of being thoroughly checked getting on to every plane..because we bought one way tickets to save money..which apperently means that we're suicide bombers, i understand the caution though and it was no real problem..we just had to get our carry-on checked like 4 time..they had to use the metal detector stick on us..and they had to check our shoes(for bombs, lol)..which brings me to the greatness of sandals..instead of sitting down and untying..just lift your foot out of the sandal and go..im the genius in the family.

I would wear sandals that do not have buckles or any other metal. they will have to come off to be screened...one other thing that you shouldn't wear is overalls...lots of buckles and buttons made of metal :rolleyes: last may, I had on overalls, and underwire bra, and birks with big buckles....I was a screening nightmare! LOLOL

I know I am in for it on my next trip.

Three flights all one way (the joys of SW online ticketing)! That is three fun filled exams by the security people.

Here we go!

I wore skechers sneaks last trip (thick soled) and surprisingly MCO did not make me take off my shoes...although many people with sandals, boots, leather shoes, did.

I did get stopped going thru the metal detector and had to be wanded. Yes, I had an underwire on...always do, if you saw me you would understand why!! But, I also had a metal hairband on which I did not even think of until I was just about to walk thru. Just something else to remember.

FOIL wrapped gum, or medicine packets will also had it set off! My mom had a screener with a wand guessing until they both figured out my mom had one tiny little packet of Immodium tucked in her pants pocket

Also, another tip. At TF Green, after 9/11, because of shoes, belt whatever, my husband had to be wanded. Now, he put his money clip and tickets in a basket. I walked thru before him and then turned around and noticed...they had moved him very far away from the belt....and his stuff was not coming out. Then, it did come out and I was waiting there for it. His military ID was on top and you could see his picture. Now, my husband is 6'1" Blonde, very fair with Blue Eyes....The Security screener didnt even look at the items...he turned to the man behind me--an African American man with very dark features and started to hand him my husband's money clip. The man obviously knew it wasnt his and told the screener that. I quickly made the screener aware I was waiting for it and took it.

Two things....if the screener had looked at the ID he would have known that it wasnt the man's (behind me) money clip. Second, how the heck did he know I wasnt lying??? I could have made off with some strangers money, military ID, etc.!!! Hallo!!

Morale of the story, be very mindful of your stuff as it comes thru the screeners. They are busy and may not always pay attention to the little details.

NOW, DH puts his money clip, foil wrapped gum and any other loose items in my purse where I can zip it away for safe keepings!!! No more using those silly little baskets! They get trapped between larger items in the X-ray and are hard to keep track of!!!!

I'll give you my "technical" and personal thoughts here.

My 'technical' answer is based on my background in aerospace engineering and a number of years as an operations safety engineer in the space program, which included several 'crash and mishap' safety courses. From this perspective, you should always wear sneakers or tennis shoes, preferably leather ones. The reasons are many, but they include heat/fire protection, traction etc. You are also "safer" wearing long pants and sleeves made from cotton. Synthetic fabrics tend to melt and burn should the unthinkable ever happen. The long sleeves and pants also protect your arms and legs if you ever have to go down the slide. Those things can generate lots of friction on bare skin. Along the same lines....ladies please don't wear hose if you can avoid it. They have been known to melt on legs JUST from the friction of sliding down the bouncy slide.

OK, now that you've heard the "doom & gloom", please note that the events mentioned above are extremely rare, and your comfort is also important. I would still wear sneakers on the plane from my personal perspective, especially getting cold feet, LITERALLY :rolleyes: LOL. But, I wear shorts if I'm getting off the plane at noon in Florida in the summer!!! As for security, I don't think there's much advantage in either shoe choice. When we flew a couple of weeks before the war started, they were pretty much making everyone take off their shoes, regardless of type. It actually goes faster to have everyone take them off, than to have a few stubborn folks who end up setting off the alarm and holding up everything.

thanks, keiththomas, for the response - i'll be wearing sneakers, shorts & a long-sleeved sweatshirt for the flight to wdw!

My feet always get cold on a plane if I have on sandals, so now I only wear tennies or a shoe that completely covers my feet.

I always buy a pair of slip-on Keds for my Disney trips! You don't have to worry about shoelaces getting untied! As far as the plane, I am a Flight Attendant, and I would wear the sneakers just incase of an evacuation! And the only type of shoes you would have to remove are high heeled shoes which would puncture the slides at the doors!! Don't be surprised if little ones beep when they go through too!

in my husbands pocket. He sometimes works in clean room at high tech plant. Maybe it was eye glass cleaner. Any way it set off detector. I send my teenagers a head of me to catch bags and cameras. Keep a eye on your stuff and make sure you take the time to get it all back. I almost left my watch after going through bag check and personnal screaning. We had taken a bump so had one way ticket.

I wore my Nike sneakers with metal ends on the laces. Took an additional few minutes to be screened. Also wore the denim pants with the metal rivets on the pockets. Bad idea...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter