On the fence about DDP...

VickiVM

DIS Veteran
So our family is used to a tight meal budget on past Disney vacations...staying in rental with kitchen and preparing many of our meals, packing sandwiches and snacks to take to the parks, sharing meals when the kids were younger. But in 2 weeks it will just be me and my husband (yay for the youngest starting college!), and I want it to be memorable!

I know we'll enjoy the F&W, but want to splurge on those restaurants that we would never have considered in the past. If I add DDP and choose California Grill Sunday Brunch, Via Napoli, Liberty Tree lunch (my husband's only request), plus the typical QS meals, are these wise value choices for our 4 night stay? I believe the plan will cost a little under $500 to add to our package.

Thanks!

Yes for Via Napoli & Liberty and there is an 11:15 open for the Brunch as of about 2 hrs ago.

Before you add the plan, book the restaurants you want. Then go to Allears and check the cost of the food and meals you think your famiy will eat. Depending on what you order at Vial Napoli and LLT lunch, those meals can be inexpensive.

Look at the CS restaurants you are interested in and add the food you likely will order, and then compare the cost of the DDP to your OOP costs. This is a rough way to compare, but it does not take that long.

I can break it down for you a little.

Your TS credit is roughly worth $38, so the brunch is a break even. You'll have a hard time spending that amount at Liberty Tree. At VN, if you get pizza, you'll break even. If you get one of the higher priced entrees, you'll save a little.

This math assumes you will get snacks at $5 value and your QS meal will be around $20. If either of those falls below that mark, you're losing money. As long as you stay close to it, you're breaking even.

If the high priced check coming to the table will send your or your DH's blood pressure rising, then the DDP may be a good idea even if you don't save money or lose a little bit. If you can pay the bill knowing you're not spending as much as the DDP would cost and be happy about that, then go and pay OOP.

I can break it down for you a little.

Your TS credit is roughly worth $38, so the brunch is a break even. You'll have a hard time spending that amount at Liberty Tree. At VN, if you get pizza, you'll break even. If you get one of the higher priced entrees, you'll save a little.

This math assumes you will get snacks at $5 value and your QS meal will be around $20. If either of those falls below that mark, you're losing money. As long as you stay close to it, you're breaking even.

If the high priced check coming to the table will send your or your DH's blood pressure rising, then the DDP may be a good idea even if you don't save money or lose a little bit. If you can pay the bill knowing you're not spending as much as the DDP would cost and be happy about that, then go and pay OOP.
I had a dislocated finger and an ER doctor tried popping it back in place without anesthesia. Didn't last long before I needed a shot to numb the pain. I even needed a second shot before it could be done. At that point someone could have taken a hammer to my hand and I wouldn't have felt any pain.

Thanks, I feel better about this now! I'll probably just go for it !

I would, but I hate to tell others that they should. My DH likes it all paid for and I know that we will at least beak even based on what we nomally like to eat. DH dies when he sees the check, so knowing that it's covered is a bonus.

I would, but I hate to tell others that they should. My DH likes it all paid for and I know that we will at least beak even based on what we nomally like to eat. DH dies when he sees the check, so knowing that it's covered is a bonus.

I think you misplaced some quotes in your reply. They didn't come from this thread. Just wanted you to know in case you were trying to reply to something somewhere else.

We calculated everything out, and figure we are pretty much at a break even point with the DDP, and I bought it. We had a free DDP last time we went, and loved the convenience of not having to worry about the cost of the items we were ordering, and I like the fact that the food can be paid for ahead of time. Not that you can't do that by buying gift cards, which I did for the tips and other spending money anyways.

For us, the other big factor is the "fight" over the bill. We are taking my inlaws with us (each paying our own portions of the hotel and food bills) and they are very generous. If we go out to eat with them, we typically switch off who picks up the tab, which was fine before kids but now there are 5 of us to two of them, so it bothers me to let them pick up the tab half the time. This way, all that's left is the tip, which I will try to get charged back to the room so we can divide it accordingly and pay for with gift cards :) I have a feeling if we were charging the meals each time, my FIL would be whipping out his CC rather than letting the charges go back to the room so we could divide it up later, but if it is just the tip I think he'll keep his card in his wallet.

Another factor is that we're all ones that would usually choose the cheaper items on a menu when we do go out, and if paying OOP would likely do more QS than TS. Since we're on vacation, it's nice to just order what we want, take our time with one TS meal per day, and not be tempted to skip that break for a cheaper QS meal.

We calculated everything out, and figure we are pretty much at a break even point with the DDP, and I bought it. We had a free DDP last time we went, and loved the convenience of not having to worry about the cost of the items we were ordering, and I like the fact that the food can be paid for ahead of time. Not that you can't do that by buying gift cards, which I did for the tips and other spending money anyways.

For us, the other big factor is the "fight" over the bill. We are taking my inlaws with us (each paying our own portions of the hotel and food bills) and they are very generous. If we go out to eat with them, we typically switch off who picks up the tab, which was fine before kids but now there are 5 of us to two of them, so it bothers me to let them pick up the tab half the time. This way, all that's left is the tip, which I will try to get charged back to the room so we can divide it accordingly and pay for with gift cards :) I have a feeling if we were charging the meals each time, my FIL would be whipping out his CC rather than letting the charges go back to the room so we could divide it up later, but if it is just the tip I think he'll keep his card in his wallet.

Another factor is that we're all ones that would usually choose the cheaper items on a menu when we do go out, and if paying OOP would likely do more QS than TS. Since we're on vacation, it's nice to just order what we want, take our time with one TS meal per day, and not be tempted to skip that break for a cheaper QS meal.

From a nanas pov: let them pay. We tend to split the bill if my DH does not pick the whole thing up. We would pay for the kids anyway given a choice so for us, this works well. Grands like to go little things, and on a Disney vacation paying your grandchilds dinner is really our treat.

DH and I were just talking about how with the exception of my cousin and his family, we are the only parents who are constantly asked to join our adult children on vacation. If your traveling with your ils or your parents, they are happy and are not looking at an even Steven bill pay.

No need to look at each menu and calculate to the last penny. Someone will do the work for you, distripplanner.com is a dining calculator. You tell it where you want to eat and it tells you which method of payment is best for you. Out of pocket vs. Dining Plan

while I am not a fan of the DP and have not used it in many years (as in when the tips were still included) I can say after this trip a few weeks ago.... it may start to make sense for a shorter trip especially simply for the reason as it is hard to part with almost 20.00 for a burger and soda... this year a cheese burger should you be able to find one was 12.50 most more as they had other stiff on them so in the 14-15.50 range and a coke for 3.69 add the tax and you are at near 20.00.. more expensive things were easy to come by... HOWEVER there were also good lower priced options as well and especially if you are not in the park all the time....TS has gone up considerably as well.. while I can not put a true dollar amount I can say it was way up as compared to 2015... so not as hard to break even at least....
On the other side I can truly say this trip was very noticeable that prices were way up, service was noticeable down on the amount of CM and a few that were not very happy to be working, food quality, selection at buffets and regular menus and portion size. We have been going since the very early 90's and before as children... I can truly say like the early 2000's Park attendance is NOT down due to all of the excuses all of the Florida theme parks are putting out there... simply put Disney is and always was expensive but a lot of years worth what they charged it has again come to the point where the value is very questionable and easy to skip Disney for something different until they make some changes.
So my thought now if you are going and are thinking about the DP go for it...and use it as best you can as you will think twice about shelling out 40.00 for two for a CS meal much less and easy 75 with tax and no tip for a TS for average items on the menus...

while I am not a fan of the DP and have not used it in many years (as in when the tips were still included) I can say after this trip a few weeks ago.... it may start to make sense for a shorter trip especially simply for the reason as it is hard to part with almost 20.00 for a burger and soda... this year a cheese burger should you be able to find one was 12.50 most more as they had other stiff on them so in the 14-15.50 range and a coke for 3.69 add the tax and you are at near 20.00.. more expensive things were easy to come by... HOWEVER there were also good lower priced options as well and especially if you are not in the park all the time....TS has gone up considerably as well.. while I can not put a true dollar amount I can say it was way up as compared to 2015... so not as hard to break even at least....
On the other side I can truly say this trip was very noticeable that prices were way up, service was noticeable down on the amount of CM and a few that were not very happy to be working, food quality, selection at buffets and regular menus and portion size. We have been going since the very early 90's and before as children... I can truly say like the early 2000's Park attendance is NOT down due to all of the excuses all of the Florida theme parks are putting out there... simply put Disney is and always was expensive but a lot of years worth what they charged it has again come to the point where the value is very questionable and easy to skip Disney for something different until they make some changes.
So my thought now if you are going and are thinking about the DP go for it...and use it as best you can as you will think twice about shelling out 40.00 for two for a CS meal much less and easy 75 with tax and no tip for a TS for average items on the menus...
I tend to agree with you. We aren't soda drinkers - prefer water. And I'm not really into sweets, so doubt I would eat too many desserts. I love the convenience of the plan, but I don't think enough to potentially waste money. My husband also expressed a desire to not be tied to a reservation in case we make a last minute change of plans.

Although the data is a little dated, I used this site to calculate and compare costs... http://www.distripplanner.com
Thanks...that was eye opening! OOP was about $125 more than DDP, however, I'm sure this includes desserts and soda for each meal and as I mentioned, we rarely drink soda (tea every once in a while), and I can only handle so much sweets - certainly not more than a couple during our trip. Additionally I overestimated the meals we would eat during the whole trip, so I think in the end, we'll come out ahead and I won't feel that I must make a Happy Plate.

When my sis and I ran numbers against menus last trip, we figured OOP won by just a little. We went OOP. It gave us control.

I think we underestimated some hollow leg syndrome that my boys had developed. And, we probably were closer to even with the cost of a DDP.

I think it's probably pretty close between OOP and DDP, unless people skip meals or are light eaters.

We are going with free dining this year. I'm convinced it's not free, but just another way to package the same amount of beans.

It saves my husband from staring down a week of $100+ checks. So, I'm trying it out for stress relief.

OOP gives the option to control that meal spending. DDP lets you pretend you didn't pay that much to eat.

When we went to Disney a few years ago we used the DDP for the first time and we loved it gave us ease knowing our food is paid for and we don't have to worry about ordering . This trip we are using the DxDP for the first time and we will see how it goes from the planners I have done and where we will be eating with a few 2 credit meals we will come out about $400 give or take and for me that's a win but we will be there in October and I will post everything.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter