• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

On the aircraft... Car seat or not?

disneydreamerinny

Elliot’s MiMi
Hi all!
We will be traveling with my 2 year old grandson for the first time to WDW. When my girls were little on our first plane ride they were 7 and 4 and I didn't even think about or consider a car seat for them.
Is this something that is highly recommended now? I just want to make sure I am doing the right thing. He is a little over 40 pounds and tall for his age. I have been thinking about just going to buy a cheapish seat just for flying for him, but it seems like it would be a hassle to carry it around if I don't necessarily need it.
However I am more than willing to do it if it is standard practice.
Any thoughts? What does everyone else do?

I am on the side of yes, it's safer. But, besides safety, think about how your grandson is. I know my son at 2 did fabulous in his car seat. No issues whatsoever. But, couldn't sit still on a regular seat. He would have been all over the place. For my sanity, the seat was worth it on the plane.

It is definitely safer. And, We totally needed a seat upon arrival to our last Disney vacation as we had to take a taxi to a different resort. Even now I make sure we have a booster on hand for my 6.5 year old because you just don't know when you'll need it.

I am a yes person, but given his size and weight maybe also consider buying or renting a Cares harness.

https://rentcares.com/

I never used this site, but have used the harness for my 3 year olds and they worked great and were easy to set up and carry

If you have the means to get an extra cheap car seat then yes definitely. However if he is terrible in his car seat at home then consider a CARES since I believe he is big enough for that. The plus will be if you have a need to use a taxi or car service you will have a car seat ready to go. I don't think they let you use them on Magical Express so you don't have to worry about that.

If you are renting a car or using taxis, I would say yes get an inexpensive carseat. (I think the Cosco Scenera fits. it's only $40 at Walmart and highly reviewed by Consumer Reports.) If you are planning on using Magical Express and Disney transportation exclusively I would say to leave the carseat at home. We are going to be using a CARES harness for my 2.5 yr old when we go in May mainly to remind him that is has to stay in his seat and not stand on it to peer at the people behind him.

when my son was two we had him sit in his car set on the airplane. We booked first class tickets so we could get the first row of the plane so when the the fasten seet belt lights went out he could play on the floor infront of are seets.

Up to this point, we have dragged the car seat on the plane for DS, but he is 2 now and pretty big. We purchased a cares harness and will use that on our trip in August.

Mine were in a car seat at that age on the plane. My youngest was the oldest of my 3 at 2 1/2 for her first flight. As much of a pain it is to lug around, they are comfortable in their seat during take off/landing and aren't squirming around under the lap belt.

I used a car seat in the plane for ages 2 and 3.

One time we boarded a plane at 10pm to take a red eye flight from California to Ohio. I fastened her in and she promptly fell asleep. Our flight was delayed at the California gate for 2 hours and then was a 4+ hour flight to Ohio. She woke up as we were taxiing to the gate in Ohio and asked when we were going to start flying? LOL - That time in particular the seat was worth it's weight in gold!!

I will say the one challenge to using a car seat at that age was the length of her legs. I did need to be cautious that she didn't kick the seat in front of her.

I'm going to be different than other responses. My daughter will be 9 months when we go in May and she will be sitting on my lap. I don't have to bring a car seat since my dad is picking us up and will have one for her already. Plus, it's cheaper this way and she HATES being in her car seat.

I'm going to be different than other responses. My daughter will be 9 months when we go in May and she will be sitting on my lap. I don't have to bring a car seat since my dad is picking us up and will have one for her already. Plus, it's cheaper this way and she HATES being in her car seat.

I know this is a very popular option and airlines allow it, but I'd encourage you to read this article about why it's not recommended to fly with a child in your lap:

http://csftl.org/leaving-on-a-jet-plane-the-csftl-guide-to-safe-air-travel-with-children/

Hi all!
We will be traveling with my 2 year old grandson for the first time to WDW. When my girls were little on our first plane ride they were 7 and 4 and I didn't even think about or consider a car seat for them.
Is this something that is highly recommended now? I just want to make sure I am doing the right thing. He is a little over 40 pounds and tall for his age. I have been thinking about just going to buy a cheapish seat just for flying for him, but it seems like it would be a hassle to carry it around if I don't necessarily need it.
However I am more than willing to do it if it is standard practice.
Any thoughts? What does everyone else do?
even though I would use the car seat be prepared for him to not be able to use the tray table as the car seat will make it unable to put drinks or eler

Our DD was just under 3 on her first flight and it never even crossed my mind to bring a car seat or a special harness. We just brought lots of snacks and things to play with and she had no issue at all flying. I guess every kid is different.

Our DD was just under 3 on her first flight and it never even crossed my mind to bring a car seat or a special harness. We just brought lots of snacks and things to play with and she had no issue at all flying. I guess every kid is different.

Using a car seat or cares harness is recommended by the FAA for safety for a small child. I did not use it because I was worried my DD would not sit. I had snacks, her tablet, and coloring books so she sat great. The cares harness hooks onto the seatbelt to create a 5 point harness. For a small child, it protects them during turbulence.

No judgement from me (I did use car seats/buy a seat for my kids). It is definitely cheaper but can be tiresome for you. My oldest hated the stroller but I made her sit and she eventually calmed down.

Last April we were flying home from my sisters in Ft.Myers to Hartford. There was a mom and Day and twin 1 year olds. They each had an end seat. The mom was next to my DH who was on the end in our aisle and the dad behind the mom.

The dad was lucky, that kid slept on him. The mom not so much. The baby was squirmy for at least 1/2 the flight. Kept dropping things (my DH picked up). Mom tried to get the baby to watch the tablet with no such luck, picture books, snacks.

I wasn't looking continuously but I am sure there was some kicking going on to the seat in front.

I felt so bad. That baby finally fell asleep and which ever of my ids had to go to the bathroom I looked at them and threatened them...in a mom way...to not graze next to the fnally sleeping baby.

Good Luck! I hope you have the extra space seats.

The FAA "strongly urges you to secure your child in a CRS or device for the duration of your flight": https://www.faa.gov/passengers/fly_children/

Transport Canada states "the standard aircraft lap strap is generally not well suited for the safe restraint of small children (those less than seven years of age or with a body length less than 125 cm (49 in.))": https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviat...vices-referencecentre-acs-600-605-003-493.htm (Section 3.0(2)).

For a two year old, I would prefer a car seat over a CARES harness, as a CARES harness is only a four point restraint. There is no crotch strap and the child can slide down. It also doesn't adjust the lap belt fit, which may not fit correctly. I'm in Canada, so I'm not familiar with the options for lightweight travel car seats in the US. Hopefully someone else has some good suggestions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter