On Property vs. Renting a house

Stay offsite if you like, except for Christmas/New Years. Traffic getting to the parks is horrible.

If you decide to stay onsite, I would recommend two rooms at Pop century, with the dining plan on only one room. Our magical travel agent can usually get us a great deal for about $1k per week, per room. All rooms have 2 queen beds, there is a single, dedicated bus, and the gondola will now be an option for travel to EP and HS! This also allows you yo add the dining plan to only one room, which for us is the perfect amount. We have found that adding the deluxe dining plan for half our party is plenty of credits for everyone to enjoy character and signature dining 1-2 meals per day, without feeling like we do nothing but eat. Connecting rooms is not guaranteed, but we have always been able to get them.

You can also do two connecting rooms at the Disney Springs hotels, which currently offer 60 day FP and emh privileges, but that may change in the future.

I would stay at Wyndham Bonnet Creek resort. Onsite but not technically cause it’s not Disney owned. It is next door to the Caribbean Beach Resort. Beautiful resort with lazy rivers, pool bars, fully equipped villas. And a quarter of the price of a .Disney resort.

I've stayed on site, and I've stayed off site. They're both great, but I see them as different vacations

If you stay on site:
- You're Disney-Disney-Disney all the time, and doesn't that make sense for a Disney vacation? I don't really relate to the term "within the Disney Bubble", but I get what people are saying when they use it.
- On site transportation is so convenient. No getting into a hot car, no trekking across a long parking lot searching for your car, no taking a wrong turn. When you include getting to your car and parking, the Disney bus is faster than your own car every time.
- When you're on site, you have the option to easily go back to your room mid-day /get away from the crowds /rest up for the evening. Or, with Disney transportation, some family members can go back while others stay in the parks and go-go-go.
- You spend more time in the parks when you're on site because it's so easy to pop back over for a couple hours in the evenings.
- On the other hand, when you're on site, you're paying a premium price -- even if you're not at a Deluxe. And you're not getting nearly as much space for that price.
- Even if you're bringing quick-fixes and snacks for the room, you tend to spend more money on food when you're on site. No one has ever said, "Wow, Disney's food is such a bargain!"

On the other hand, if you stay off site:
- You have room for the family to spread out, and as kids grow older and larger, this is awfully nice.
- A private pool, while not fancy like those at Disney resorts, is a whole different experience. Pool time becomes family time ... and you can easily have movie nights or game nights in a home of your own ... more easily than in a small hotel room.
- You can enjoy big family meals, or you can eat out (or bring in), and you have a huge variety of choices. If you're frugal, you can prep crock pot meals at home, or you can bring restaurant coupons. In short, you can feed your family well for much less.
- Driving to the parks sucks. Traffic is heavy, and you probably don't know Orlando roads well. Parking costs way too much. Then you have to search for a parking spot and walk across a hot parking lot ... and then return to a hot car. It doesn't bother me personally, but if you're driving to the parks, someone's not having a drink with dinner.
- Homes that claim they're "only five minutes from Disney" mean that they're five minutes from Disney's front door ... you may still drive 20 minutes on the Disney property.
- It's easy to say, "We'll go back to the condo for lunch", and then decide it's just too much trouble to go back for those evening hours you had planned.

Summary: They're different experiences. Which one do you want to enjoy?

Thanks everybody, I sure appreciate all the feedback and suggestions. We've got a lot to think about.

I do think transportation will be easier this time no matter where we stay, and if we stay on site we'll probably skip the buses since we'll have our vehicle anyways. With the age range being almost 6-42 instead of almost 3-75, there's a lot less to getting around!

I'm looking into the Bonnet Creek and Vistana options too, I didn't realize they were more condo like than hotel like, but remember where Bonnet Creek is and it's pretty convenient! I'll look at All Star and Music resorts too, I hadn't realized the family suites had actual bedrooms, though I still think we'll miss the full kitchen and laundry.

My husband mentioned being willing to consider a studio on site (which is what we'd have to do at Wilderness Lodge since there were 5 of us, or pay for a 2 bed!). We're also considering a trip to Universal too, so we may do a split stay in which case it would make more sense to stay off site.... So many options to consider- I love planning vacations!!!

I've stayed on site, and I've stayed off site. They're both great, but I see them as different vacations

If you stay on site:
- You're Disney-Disney-Disney all the time, and doesn't that make sense for a Disney vacation? I don't really relate to the term "within the Disney Bubble", but I get what people are saying when they use it.
- On site transportation is so convenient. No getting into a hot car, no trekking across a long parking lot searching for your car, no taking a wrong turn. When you include getting to your car and parking, the Disney bus is faster than your own car every time.
- When you're on site, you have the option to easily go back to your room mid-day /get away from the crowds /rest up for the evening. Or, with Disney transportation, some family members can go back while others stay in the parks and go-go-go.
- You spend more time in the parks when you're on site because it's so easy to pop back over for a couple hours in the evenings.
- On the other hand, when you're on site, you're paying a premium price -- even if you're not at a Deluxe. And you're not getting nearly as much space for that price.
- Even if you're bringing quick-fixes and snacks for the room, you tend to spend more money on food when you're on site. No one has ever said, "Wow, Disney's food is such a bargain!"

- You have room for the family to spread out, and as kids grow older and larger, this is awfully nice.
- A private pool, while not fancy like those at Disney resorts, is a whole different experience. Pool time becomes family time ... and you can easily have movie nights or game nights in a home of your own ... more easily than in a small hotel room.
- You can enjoy big family meals, or you can eat out (or bring in), and you have a huge variety of choices. If you're frugal, you can prep crock pot meals at home, or you can bring restaurant coupons. In short, you can feed your family well for much less.
- Driving to the parks sucks. Traffic is heavy, and you probably don't know Orlando roads well. Parking costs way too much. Then you have to search for a parking spot and walk across a hot parking lot ... and then return to a hot car. It doesn't bother me personally, but if you're driving to the parks, someone's not having a drink with dinner.
- Homes that claim they're "only five minutes from Disney" mean that they're five minutes from Disney's front door ... you may still drive 20 minutes on the Disney property.
- It's easy to say, "We'll go back to the condo for lunch", and then decide it's just too much trouble to go back for those evening hours you had planned.

That's a very good write up. At the same time, I'd also suggest that a lot of that is a matter of personal taste.

For example, saying that on site transportation is convenient is purely subjective. Not saying you're wrong, because for you it may be. For us, it would be a complete deal breaker. I'd never rely on WDW transportation. Having a car is so liberating, we can come and go where we want, when we want. Driving to the parks is no big deal at all. Traffic is minimal, you never search for a parking spot (WDW cast members tell you where to park) and getting in from the parking lot is no big deal. Going too/from offsite is often quite a bit quicker than the amount of time people say it takes them to get back to their value or moderate resort. I posted this before, one time we measured how long it took us to get from our rental condo front door to the train station inside MK. It was exactly 52 minutes, which is the farthest possible path due to needing to use the monorail/ferry. We get to the other parks in 25-40 minutes, depending. It takes at least that long using WDW buses, from what everyone has said. Leaving after fireworks would take even longer, as you have to wait for bus after bus.

I disagree that Disney transportation is faster than your own car every time. There are times we wait for a bus. And wait for a bus. And wait for a bus. And then cram onto a full bus. And stand for the ride to the resort, and hope a kid doesn't fall over when the driver has to brake.

We have stayed off site as well as on, and driving was not difficult. I suppose if you're there at an extremely peak time like Christmas, traffic is horrible. But most of the time, traffic around WDW is quite manageable. Especially if you're staying someplace like WBC or SVR, you can often be back in your room faster than if you had to take a bus.

I also like the ability to plan how long it will take me to get to the parks. I can factor in the walk or the monorail/ferry from my car, and leave accordingly. If I'm at a resort, I have no control over when a bus will come. Might e 5 minutes, might be 30 minutes. But if there's something I need to be on time for, it's going to take me longer from a resort, because I'm going to get to the bus stop EXTRA early, so I don't risk missing the bus that would have gotten me there on time, get stuck waiting half an hour for next bus, and end up late.

I was at a reunion this weekend and my cousin owns points that include bonnet creek. They stay there often to go to Disney. She told me if I want to use some of her points to let her know. I may not be able to pass that up!

We only stay offsite due to having three kids. We love Windsor Hills. We have stayed in a three bedroom condo for $89 a night and a three bedroom house with a private pool for $169 a night. There is a Walmart close by to stock up on breakfast items and snacks. Animal Kingdom is less than 15 minutes away and the others (except MK) are under 30 minutes.

We've done both. The house rental in Windsor Hills with pool when the kids were mid-years, 8,12,15 and then 2 connecting rooms at POP when they were 19, 16, and 12. The kids loved both vacations but they were very different. Offsite, we went to the parks 4 days and enjoyed the house, pool and offsite things and when onsite we did parks daily and rested in between the heat and meals.

Now that it's just me and hubby and kids are grown, we are back to onsite. Offsite is perfect for families and spreading out.

Sorry to hijack the thread but where do you all get these rates for Wyndham Bonnet Creek? The dates I was just possibly thinking of taking a trip is substantially more than any Value Disney Hotel and a little more expensive than the Moderates as well. We still qualify for a 4 person room since my youngest is just 2.

Sorry to hijack the thread but where do you all get these rates for Wyndham Bonnet Creek? The dates I was just possibly thinking of taking a trip is substantially more than any Value Disney Hotel and a little more expensive than the Moderates as well. We still qualify for a 4 person room since my youngest is just 2.
I think they are comparing to the price of a villa at Disney since a regular value or moderate room would not have comparable amenities.

I think they are comparing to the price of a villa at Disney since a regular value or moderate room would not have comparable amenities.

Ahhh got it. Thanks for clarifying! I was going to say - yikes, those rooms are expensive! We've never stayed at Disney for more than $200 and that includes AKL a few years ago. We're either at the parks or in the pool so space and kitchen are not necessary unless it's substantially cheaper.

For Bonnet Creek I would look at Vacation Upgrades and myresortnetwork. We have never paid more than 150 a night for a three bedroom villa there...including all taxes. Cannot get a three bedroom Disney owned villa for anywhere near that price.

Also check the Bonnet Creek thread...will name other places you can rent through.

Hope this helps!

If you stay on site:

great post!totally agree.

For example, saying that on site transportation is convenient is purely subjective.
Eh, my argument isn't just about convenience ... it's that Disney transportation is faster IF you compare it apples-to-apples. By that, I mean, don't just count your drive time; rather, include your time walking to the parking lot, making a wrong turn, then walking across another parking lot.

Yes, if you leave after fireworks, you're probably going to wait through a couple buses, but -- again, to compare apples to apples -- if you're driving your own car after those same fireworks, you're going to find yourself in a heap of traffic. One way or another, if you're leaving at a "popular time", you're waiting.
Something I didn't say in my other post -- and this is purely subjective: I don't see -- don't see at all -- the point of staying in a deluxe property at Disney.

Why? Because the point of going to Disney is to visit the parks. So if you're going to spend your time in the parks (which is quite expensive), why ALSO pay for a deluxe property? You can't be in both places at once. On the other hand, if you do a beach trip or a mountain trip where the point is being with family, making great meals, having movie and game nights -- then I totally see the point in paying for a great place to stay.
That is subjective. I just remote start the car via my mobile app and boom, cool car for the ride home. Lol
Okay, I can see that argument, but I suspect the majority of us don't have that technology. I don't.

I'm looking into the Bonnet Creek and Vistana options too, I didn't realize they were more condo like than hotel like, but remember where Bonnet Creek is and it's pretty convenient! I'll look at All Star and Music resorts too, I hadn't realized the family suites had actual bedrooms, though I still think we'll miss the full kitchen and laundry.

Here's a good thread discussing the Vistana Resort:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/the-sheraton-vistana-resort-thread.3148502/page-100

Eh, my argument isn't just about convenience ... it's that Disney transportation is faster IF you compare it apples-to-apples. By that, I mean, don't just count your drive time; rather, include your time walking to the parking lot, making a wrong turn, then walking across another parking lot.

But apples to apples means including the time you walk to the bus stop and wait. And wait. Yes, there's the end-of-night crush where you wait for several buses, but there's also the regular part of the day when you're waiting for a bus to come, and have no idea when it's going to come. And you might wait half an hour for that bus, especially at non-peak times like if you're going back to the resort for a swim or nap. Sometimes, the wait-for-bus time exceeds both the walk-to-car and drive-to-resort time.

I think your description of walking back to a car overestimates the complexity of Disney parking lots, and underestimates people's ability to navigate. The WDW parking lots are clearly marked with characters. Leave your car, snap a picture of the Ursula or Woody at the end of the row for reference if you think you'll forget, and find your way back easily when you're ready to go. It's really not that complicated.

Yes, if you leave after fireworks, you're probably going to wait through a couple buses, but -- again, to compare apples to apples -- if you're driving your own car after those same fireworks, you're going to find yourself in a heap of traffic. One way or another, if you're leaving at a "popular time", you're waiting.
Something I didn't say in my other post -- and this is purely subjective: I don't see -- don't see at all -- the point of staying in a deluxe property at Disney.

I agree you should compare apples to apples. When I posted above that it took 52 minutes for us to get from our condo to the train station in MK, that wasn't just drive time. That was literally from the time we closed the front door of the condo until we stepped foot under the train station bridge inside MK. So that included walking to our car, driving to the MK parking lot, tram to the monorail, monorail to MK, security line, tap point. Other parks take far less time. So from a value or moderate resort, it's just as quick if not quicker (with some limited exceptions such as Swolphin to Epcot).

Actually, after fireworks there is no traffic jam leaving the parks, you'd be surprised. The only wait you have is if you're in MK and need the ferry or monorail. Then yeah, you may wait for one of those (or the better thing to do is take the small ferry to the Poly and walk). Once you're in the parking lot and in your car, it's easy and smooth sailing out of the park. No parking lot traffic jams, or traffic jams on the roads.

Ironically, the only time we ever got stuck in a traffic jam leaving the parking lot was in HS. We had parked near the front and got stuck behind the merge point for the WDW buses. :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter