OMG

Just watched the latest one...

This woman was extremely overweight and COULD walk with a frame, but she just made excuses! She insisted on medical transports to and from her doctor's offices, was convinced that the scales were lying to her and basically shut the world out. She was steadily gaining weight and refused to walk more than a few yards, saying the world was out to get her and that her doctor was "unfair".

Her doctor gave her 6 months until her heart gave out.

That's all we saw :(

Just watched the latest one...

This woman was extremely overweight and COULD walk with a frame, but she just made excuses! She insisted on medical transports to and from her doctor's offices, was convinced that the scales were lying to her and basically shut the world out. She was steadily gaining weight and refused to walk more than a few yards, saying the world was out to get her and that her doctor was "unfair".

Her doctor gave her 6 months until her heart gave out.

That's all we saw :(
I wish I had a dollar for every time I heard someone on that show say that Dr. Now was "unfair". :rolleyes: You need to go look up the episode on James King. There is a regular episode, and a "where are they now" episode. Talk about wanting to jerk your own hair out! In the end, this guy died, but not on the show. Dr. Now ends up calling adult protective services on his wife because she won't stop feeding him.

It's pretty obvious this individual has severe mental health issues. Their perception of what is going on is likely nothing akin to what you perceive as going on. It's a lot like hoarders. It's easy to just say "just clean the house". Or Intervention where you want to scream at the TV just go to rehab when you know nothing of addiction and how it works on the mind.

Would you say to someone with severe depression to just cheer up? Or a schizophrenic to just stop acting so weird? It may seem simple to you or me, but we are not in their position.

We have no idea what is going on with this person, and honestly this isn't something that needs to be exploited for entertainment. These kind of shows make me sick.

most of them have been sexually abused, and thats why they ear

most of them have been sexually abused, and thats why they ear
Good excuse, but I'm not buying it. Gives them the sympathy they are seeking and takes away their part in the weight gain situation. Notice the people you might know that eat like it was their last meal and never gain a pound and others that slowly just gain weight and in most cases don't really eat as much as those lucky enough to not gain weight. It's the old question of "Do people jog to get thin or do thin people jog." If you have tried everything reasonable to not get heavy and it still happens, one quickly just gives up and if they have a bad self image already they just eat because they have nothing else. They don't call certain things "comfort food" for nothing.

How in merry old hell do you get so heavy? I mean, the effort of shoving food down your throat ALONE must burn off some of that weight!
What I've found in every single episode is that behind every single morbidly obese person, is an enabler. Every. Single. One. Same with the show Intervention. They start off showing you how messed up this person is, from the opening fully nude shower scene (which always blows my mind that every person on that show does with seemingly no issue) then, there's the close up of them shoveling food in their mouths followed by a lot of footage filmed from down below to make sure they look as much like Pizza the Hut as possible, and then, cut to the life story to gain sympathy, and then...introduction to the enabler. It's like a formula.
Exact same formula for Intervention except no nude scenes. All I know is that Dr. Now is a saint! I can not begin to imagine how frustrating it must be to try and help some of these people that sit there and lie and yell at you, day in, day out. You can tell he really is trying to save people's lives with the amount of effort he puts into people that I would have long long ago cut loose. My favorite line from him was when a woman was trying to explain her recent weight gain by saying she lives in an area where she has to order food to be delivered and there is no healthy food around her, and Dr. Now said, (insert funny accent) "So you're telling me, that you live in a salad free zone, that I don't know about?" :rotfl2:

What I've found in every single episode is that behind every single morbidly obese person, is an enabler. Every. Single. One. Same with the show Intervention. They start off showing you how messed up this person is, from the opening fully nude shower scene (which always blows my mind that every person on that show does with seemingly no issue) then, there's the close up of them shoveling food in their mouths followed by a lot of footage filmed from down below to make sure they look as much like Pizza the Hut as possible, and then, cut to the life story to gain sympathy, and then...introduction to the enabler. It's like a formula.
Exact same formula for Intervention except no nude scenes. All I know is that Dr. Now is a saint! I can not begin to imagine how frustrating it must be to try and help some of these people that sit there and lie and yell at you, day in, day out. You can tell he really is trying to save people's lives with the amount of effort he puts into people that I would have long long ago cut loose. My favorite line from him was when a woman was trying to explain her recent weight gain by saying she lives in an area where she has to order food to be delivered and there is no healthy food around her, and Dr. Now said, (insert funny accent) "So you're telling me, that you live in a salad free zone, that I don't know about?" :rotfl2:

This is so true, yet sadly, so awful. These people can't get out of bed, let alone walk more than a few feet, so how do they get their food? By the grace of those around them.

Not an expert here but I think that her obesity and lack of mobility is just a symptom of a bigger problem

This is so true, yet sadly, so awful. These people can't get out of bed, let alone walk more than a few feet, so how do they get their food? By the grace of those around them.
Yes, and some of them are the most manipulative, hateful jerks! It always amazes me to hear how they speak to these care-takers who love them. I can't imagine having the guts to be in that position and yet treat people like dogs. I'd be the one person that raised my voice once, and my care-taker would leave and never come back!

I just watched one yesterday where the girl said that her family had to MAKE her take a bath. She didn't like to do it because it hurt....so she only washed herself ONCE A MONTH! She had the nerve to wonder why her wife wasn't affectionate anymore. The entire family was obese. Her mother would tell her how she deserved better when the she called her wife and told her to pick up some food from a restaurant and the wife said, "We have food at the house, I can cook" and then she gave in and told her to call in the food order and she'd pick it up and the obese spouse said, "NO YOU'RE GOING TO CALL IT IN!" The wife on the other line just said, "okaaay". That's when the mother who was listening went on and on about how her lazy daughter deserved better. Meanwhile this woman is just trying to get home from work but she's stopping to call in an order and go pick it up for the whole family who are at the house doing NOTHING. Sometimes I'm so mad that I'm standing on my couch! LOL not really but you get it.

Yes, and some of them are the most manipulative, hateful jerks! It always amazes me to hear how they speak to these care-takers who love them. I can't imagine having the guts to be in that position and yet treat people like dogs. I'd be the one person that raised my voice once, and my care-taker would leave and never come back!

I just watched one yesterday where the girl said that her family had to MAKE her take a bath. She didn't like to do it because it hurt....so she only washed herself ONCE A MONTH! She had the nerve to wonder why her wife wasn't affectionate anymore. The entire family was obese. Her mother would tell her how she deserved better when the she called her wife and told her to pick up some food from a restaurant and the wife said, "We have food at the house, I can cook" and then she gave in and told her to call in the food order and she'd pick it up and the obese spouse said, "NO YOU'RE GOING TO CALL IT IN!" The wife on the other line just said, "okaaay". That's when the mother who was listening went on and on about how her lazy daughter deserved better. Meanwhile this woman is just trying to get home from work but she's stopping to call in an order and go pick it up for the whole family who are at the house doing NOTHING. Sometimes I'm so mad that I'm standing on my couch! LOL not really but you get it.

I totally see where you're coming from!

The one that totally irked me off was this woman who kept on GAINING weight, was ramming her mouth full of food, 8 meals a day all brought to her my her carer. She insisted that the scales at the hospital must be out to get her. Every time the doctor told her, look, you're gonna die if you go on like this, she would say "I can't" and "it's unfair". She insisted on hospital transport to and from her house. She wouldn't even bother to try and SIT UP! She had to be hoisted. That's an ambulance that could have been put to better use :( Eventually she and her enabler - her HUSBAND! - caught Covid. The husband died. She ended up in a hammock as there were no beds in hospital big enough for her! She survived but ate more and ended up with another enabler. Every time the doctor sent over physiotherapy help or dieticians she would shout at them, bully them or even throw things at them.

Does she even warrant hospital time and resources? I hate asking that question as I'm conscientious at heart :(

So, how do they go to the bathroom if they don't sit up or move? (I don't watch the shows.)

I just looked at this and had to respond.

Before I retired, I was a physical therapist and did home care for the last 20 years of my career. During that time I had two morbidly obese patients that their doctors ordered PT to get them moving more. These people were over 500 pounds, one couldn't sit up in bed and the other could barely walk. I am a mere 125 pounds and, in home care, there are never 2 PTs going in together. The best I could do was teach an exercise program to try to get them to move some and increase muscle strength. If I stood them up and they fell, all I could do was get out of the way and then call 911. It was sad but not really all that much I could do to help.

And also regarding these quotes:
You have to use a heart rate monitor to make sure you're getting close to 75% of your max and adjust your speed accordingly.
Yeah, you're not doing anything if you're not raising your heart rate up.
While that is true, I personally take a beta blocker for BP which keeps my heart rate down. I did a stress test once and never got my heart rate up to the desired number. The doctor said the drug was doing its job. Also why I rarely close the exercise band on my Apple watch because its based on heart rate.

It sounds almost horrifying…. But I still think I’ll take a pass. Maybe catch up on some YouTube vlogs on retirement strategies instead.

I totally see where you're coming from!

The one that totally irked me off was this woman who kept on GAINING weight, was ramming her mouth full of food, 8 meals a day all brought to her my her carer. She insisted that the scales at the hospital must be out to get her. Every time the doctor told her, look, you're gonna die if you go on like this, she would say "I can't" and "it's unfair". She insisted on hospital transport to and from her house. She wouldn't even bother to try and SIT UP! She had to be hoisted. That's an ambulance that could have been put to better use :( Eventually she and her enabler - her HUSBAND! - caught Covid. The husband died. She ended up in a hammock as there were no beds in hospital big enough for her! She survived but ate more and ended up with another enabler. Every time the doctor sent over physiotherapy help or dieticians she would shout at them, bully them or even throw things at them.

Does she even warrant hospital time and resources? I hate asking that question as I'm conscientious at heart :(
OMG which one was this? I did see one where the husband died of covid, but I don't remember her finding someone new? I think the same thing about the hospital wasting their time. That's the way the Asanti brothers were. That one guy just wanted to stay in the hospital to get pain killers and it blew me away how long Dr. Now was willing to put up with him and his antics. It must take a complete bleeding heart to do what he does because he's like a bad parent making threats to kick them off the program over and over again with no follow through. I suppose he's like any other doctor and knows that at least when they show up, he gets that payment from their insurance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter