OKW - need some clarification please!

Boopuff

DIS Veteran
Lots of research, not all the answers I'd like so I've come to the experts!
1- is it true that rooms 1-20 (plus the accessible 60's are specifically for DVC owners? (not an owner -Yet!)
2 - Is it true that 2 bedroom villas are "lockoff" in buldings 1-30 and they're dedicated 30-50's?
3- Busses - if I want to go to MK, do I go to my close-by stop, wait there and a bus for MK will pick up? or are all busses internal and the bus that picks me up will drop me at HH and from there I board a MK bus?
4- Realistically, how far would the walk be from the Turtle Pond area to HH?

Thanks for the help!

3- Busses - if I want to go to MK, do I go to my close-by stop, wait there and a bus for MK will pick up? or are all busses internal and the bus that picks me up will drop me at HH and from there I board a MK bus?
You can catch a bus to the MK (and all other parks) from any bus stop within the resort.

1- The near hospitality house categorisation is generally reserved for DVC owners. Cash guests may rarely be put there- usually to placate on complaints if one is free.
4- Depends entirely on speed. I’m a fast walker and can do it in around 10 mins I’d say from the pool at TP.

Dedicated and lock-off units are in every building. Building 30 and above have a 2nd door, thru the laundry room, to the master bathroom. All other you must enter thru the master bedroom. That may be what you heard, not lock-offs...

Dedicated and lock-off units are in every building. Building 30 and above have a 2nd door, thru the laundry room, to the master bathroom. All other you must enter thru the master bedroom. That may be what you heard, not lock-offs...

Yes! That's where the confusion comes from! We do need a unit with the extra bathroom door so I'll be sure to ask for 30 and above.

I appreciate all the help.

Is there a way to reserve a room on the ground floor? No elevators, and Grandpa isn’t stair able yet. I tend to avoid OKW because I don’t know if it is accessible.

Is there a way to reserve a room on the ground floor? No elevators, and Grandpa isn’t stair able yet. I tend to avoid OKW because I don’t know if it is accessible.
There is no guarantee, but if you request ground floor for medical reasons they will do their very best to accommodate your request. I always make ground floor my only request and have always received it. One time they missed the request, but when I checked in and caught it, they fixed it right away.

I’ve always gotten ground floor with the mention of my aunt’s inability to climb stairs. Actually I’ve simply always gotten it, even when my aunt isn’t with us and I don’t make the request.

When I book OKW, I request first floor or elevator building and so far, my request has been honored. If I am not going to be there, I don’t make the request, and our guests have usually gotten the second floor.

Every time that I've requested ground floor, I've gotten it. My usual requests, since I tend to travel with people my age and older are Ground floor, near transportation, and buildings 30 to 35 (Turtle Pond area). I haven't always gotten the Turtle Pond area, or near transportation...but I've always gotten the ground floor when requested. Make sure member services know that ground floor is the primary request.

The farthest walk to Hospitality House area is from bldg 50, and is about 2/3 of a mile, or roughly 1/2 around World Showcase at Epcot. You can also hop on any park bus, the last stop is Hospitality before it leaves for the park. To return, you can either wait for the internal bus, which can take a while, as it is also a Disney Springs and Typhoon Lagoon bus, or you can walk across the bridge to the Peninsular Road stop and again hop on any park bus to get back to the other bus stops, as Peninsular is the first stop in the park bus route.

Last edited:
For a 2 bedroom lock off with ground floor requested - would booking near Hospitality House lessen our chances of getting ground floor? Debating whether I should I just book non-HH to make sure we get ground floor for my parents who’d like to come with us on a special trip! Stairs would be nearly impossible for both of them.

For a 2 bedroom lock off with ground floor requested - would booking near Hospitality House lessen our chances of getting ground floor? Debating whether I should I just book non-HH to make sure we get ground floor for my parents who’d like to come with us on a special trip! Stairs would be nearly impossible for both of them.
Odds for first floor are likely the same, but remember that the one bedroom portion of the lockoff in buildings 30 and under will have only one bathroom entrance...through the master bedroom. In buildings 30 and higher you can enter the restroom both through the master bedroom AND through the laundry room. OKW was built in phases and this was a design change between building phases. If you want to absolutely guarantee a first floor, book a handicap accessible unit. They are all on the first floor, except for the buildings with elevators (62, 63, and 64).

Fully handicap units will have raised commodes, less under sink storage (to allow a wheelchair to get close to the sink) no bathtub in the studio portion (roll in shower). There will still be the jacuzzi tub in the one bedroom portion.

But I've never had a problem getting first floor.

Last edited:
Yes, if steps are impossible, I would book HA for sure. Requesting does not guarantee what you need.

The farthest walk to Hospitality House area is from bldg 50, and is about 2/3 of a mile, or roughly 1/2 around World Showcase at Epcot.
Is that all it is? I've never really been to OKW other than a quick drive through once, but I always hear about how far everything is. I get it if you have limited mobility, but for most that seems like it really shouldn't be an issue at all. The way people described it was like Fort Wilderness where you really need some sort of vehicle to cross the resort.

Is SSR that much bigger than OKW?

but remember that the one bedroom portion of the lockoff in buildings 30 and under will have only one bathroom entrance...through the master bedroom. In buildings 30 and higher you can enter the restroom both through the master bedroom AND through the laundry room.

Yes, thank you, I have read that and panicked until I understood it fully in another thread. However, that's ok since the 1 bedroom would only be us (husband, myself and 5 yr old son) and then the deluxe studio section would be for my 2 parents. As long as they have their own bathroom behind a door (in this case, several lol!), they will be happy. I think they'd enjoy the extra solitude and privacy the lock-offs provide as well vs. a dedicated 2 bedroom.

I also enjoy the fact that if they decide they don't want to vacation the whole time, it may be easier for booking to then "drop" the 1 bedroom when we only may need the studio for ourselves and may not need to move to a new room in the end. Another great tip!

Thanks!

:)

Is that all it is? I've never really been to OKW other than a quick drive through once, but I always hear about how far everything is. I get it if you have limited mobility, but for most that seems like it really shouldn't be an issue at all. The way people described it was like Fort Wilderness where you really need some sort of vehicle to cross the resort.

Is SSR that much bigger than OKW?
Yes, that is how far it is, but it does seem much longer when you are walking it.

Yes, thank you, I have read that and panicked until I understood it fully in another thread. However, that's ok since the 1 bedroom would only be us (husband, myself and 5 yr old son) and then the deluxe studio section would be for my 2 parents. As long as they have their own bathroom behind a door (in this case, several lol!), they will be happy. I think they'd enjoy the extra solitude and privacy the lock-offs provide as well vs. a dedicated 2 bedroom.

I also enjoy the fact that if they decide they don't want to vacation the whole time, it may be easier for booking to then "drop" the 1 bedroom when we only may need the studio for ourselves and may not need to move to a new room in the end. Another great tip!

Thanks!

:)
You may or may not be able to drop the one bedroom and keep the studio. That depends upon what is available when you go to make the change, and how the app responds if you try to modify it.

Yes, that is how far it is, but it does seem much longer when you are walking it.
We haven't tried OKW yet (arrive Dec 10), but I could see how that hike becomes a hurdle lol. We're not concerned because we have a car, though people say the inner resort transport work well. Not sure how dependable that is?

The walk length isn't a big deal... until making multiple trips to grab breakfast for your family while everyone's getting ready, or grab a bite after already clocking 10+ miles at the parks, or wanting to refill your mug several times, etc.

For intra resort transport, hop on ANY park bound bus. The last stop before leaving the resort is the Hospitality stop. To return, just walk across the bridge to the Peninsular Road stop and again hop on any park bus. You can wait for the "internal" bus to pick you up at hospitality and return, but that can take a while, since it is also the Disney Springs and (seasonally) the typhoon lagoon bus.

For intra resort transport, hop on ANY park bound bus. The last stop before leaving the resort is the Hospitality stop. To return, just walk across the bridge to the Peninsular Road stop and again hop on any park bus. You can wait for the "internal" bus to pick you up at hospitality and return, but that can take a while, since it is also the Disney Springs and (seasonally) the typhoon lagoon bus.
That is very good to know beforehand. Our party may split at times and not have the car.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter