• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

OKW Lovers Thread. Part 2

Hi all!

Me, my DH and 6 yo DS will be staying at OKW June 27th - July 4th. We are transferring in through RCI. I was so excited when I acquired this booking, as the DVC resorts are the most difficult to book into through RCI.

I was just wondering if you are able to see the Illuminations firework show from any of the units? Another thing I was wondering, since I transferred in through RCI, if I would be able to put in a request for a room preference? I would really like to be near one of the pools and have a room where we could maybe see some fireworks at night.

Also, are there any must do activities that you would suggest? I really appreciate any and all help that you can give. Thanks for all the help and for sharing your "home" with my family. Can't wait to start making those new Disney memories.

Thanks,

Michelle :cool1:
Hi Michelle,

Welcome to the DISBoards.

A few buildings may have a view of only the tops of the highest fireworks from Illuminations. Nothing really worth the effort. Remember that most of Illuminations takes place right on the lake, very few aerial shots. You will hear them going off, though, through most of OKW right at 9pm.
RCI should provide you with a phone number to call DVC Member Services so you can pay the incoming $95 fee. I'd make a request at that time. With 4 pools and 5 bus stops, few rooms are very far from either.

Remember that most of the resort does not have elevators, as it was built prior to changes in the Americans with Disabilities act. The 3 elevator buildings are often held for people with mobility issues. The stairs, though, are well designed and easy walk up. :)

Hi all! Me, my DH and 6 yo DS will be staying at OKW June 27th - July 4th. We are transferring in through RCI. I was so excited when I acquired this booking, as the DVC resorts are the most difficult to book into through RCI. I was just wondering if you are able to see the Illuminations firework show from any of the units? Another thing I was wondering, since I transferred in through RCI, if I would be able to put in a request for a room preference? I would really like to be near one of the pools and have a room where we could maybe see some fireworks at night. Also, are there any must do activities that you would suggest? I really appreciate any and all help that you can give. Thanks for all the help and for sharing your "home" with my family. Can't wait to start making those new Disney memories. Thanks, Michelle :cool1:

We have transferred into DVC with RCI twice, one time being to OKW. It is our favorite over SSR!! I just called the member services number and made my request. You can call the general DVC number during the day, and they can get you to the right person:) Enjoy your stay!!!

Can anyone tell me which kind of toiletries they are providing right now at the OKW? Do they still offer H2O Aquatics? Does anyone have a picture? :)

When I was there in November there were grapefruit scented hair products. If you're talking about the little blue bottles of H2O Aquatics, they haven't had those for about a year or so.

Hi everyone we are new DVC owners at OKW and will be planning our first trip for March 2015. We are going to book with OKW 11 months out and might want to try BWV at the 7 month mark. We have two small children, who will be 6 and 4 at the time of travel so I thought the location of boardwalk would be great. We also have the inlaws coming so I need two rooms and with our points I can only do BWV or OKW? Thoughts on either for using our DVC for the first time?

Hi everyone we are new DVC owners at OKW and will be planning our first trip for March 2015. We are going to book with OKW 11 months out and might want to try BWV at the 7 month mark. We have two small children, who will be 6 and 4 at the time of travel so I thought the location of boardwalk would be great. We also have the inlaws coming so I need two rooms and with our points I can only do BWV or OKW? Thoughts on either for using our DVC for the first time?

Although OKW is beautiful, BWV is SO convenient! It is centrally located with a lot to do. Also, if your kids wanted to, the could try Club Dolphin for a day to have fun with other kids (that is easily walkable from BWV, and a lot of kids get excited about that club). You can walk or boat to HS and Epcot from there too, so that's awesome!

My husband and I don't have kids, but we prefer BWV for its location. When we just want to relax though, we go to OKW which feels more laid back and has a boat to Downtown Disney. Really, whatever you choose, I'm sure you will love it!

At 11 months out up until seven months out, you can only book your home resort. When you hit seven months out, you can cancel that reservation and book at any resort that has availability.

Easter is April 5, 2015, so you might run into Spring Break and Easter if you go the end of March. So it might be hard to get two villas. Early March might not be so difficult.

But with 4 adults and two children, you could get a two bedroom villa at OKW and have plenty of space. But someone will need to sleep in the living room on the sleeper sofa and sleeper chair if your in laws get the second bedroom.

At BWV, you'll only have lockoff two bedroom villas, so the second bedroom would have one queen bed and a double sleeper sofa.

While the location of BWV is great for the adults, I think OKW has better child play facilities. The Kiddie area and main pool are being renovated a bit this winter, but I think it still has great kid friendly spaces at all the pool areas.

At 11 months out up until seven months out, you can only book your home resort. When you hit seven months out, you can cancel that reservation and book at any resort that has availability.

Easter is April 5, 2015, so you might run into Spring Break and Easter if you go the end of March. So it might be hard to get two villas. Early March might not be so difficult.

But with 4 adults and two children, you could get a two bedroom villa at OKW and have plenty of space. But someone will need to sleep in the living room on the sleeper sofa and sleeper chair if your in laws get the second bedroom.

At BWV, you'll only have lockoff two bedroom villas, so the second bedroom would have one queen bed and a double sleeper sofa.
Thanks! My mistake, we will be booking a 2 bedroom villa (not 2 seperate rooms) We will have a total of 7, 4 adults and 3 children (15 yr old step daughter too that I didn't mention). We plan on going the 2nd week of March, so we miss the Spring break. So I'm assuming we will be ok. We are def going to book OKW since that is our home. I just wanted to see your thoughts on BWV when 7 months comes up to switch. Thanks again for your input!

I thought you could book your home resort at 11 months and all others at 7 months if they have availability.
You are right, the reason why I said that I can only book with OKW or BWV is because we get 150 pts a year and plan on going every 2 years which brings us to 300 pts, for a 2 bedroom villa during the beginning of March leaves us to book OKW or BWV without having to borrow and buy more points. Sorry for the confusion. :-)

You are right, the reason why I said that I can only book with OKW or BWV is because we get 150 pts a year and plan on going every 2 years which brings us to 300 pts, for a 2 bedroom villa during the beginning of March leaves us to book OKW or BWV without having to borrow and buy more points. Sorry for the confusion. :-)

I have been tempted to buy in myself. I was afraid that they may have changed the rules for resale. I have been renting points from a friend. He bought into OKW when it first opened.

My husband and I love our DVC membership and often say it is the best purchase we have made so far. We've been married 8 1/2 years and bought in 2009.

We bought in gradually and bought 1/3 of the points we needed to take the vacation we needed. We bought in January, when they have an offer where they give you points to use for the previous year in addition to the points you are buying. Doing this, we were able to bank and borrow, using 3X as many points as we owned to take the vacation we wanted.

We have added on several times and done the same offer, always in January. We never financed (used my husband's Christmas bonus) and therefore paid no interest which will make us break even sooner.

My husband and I love our DVC membership and often say it is the best purchase we have made so far. We've been married 8 1/2 years and bought in 2009.

We bought in gradually and bought 1/3 of the points we needed to take the vacation we needed. We bought in January, when they have an offer where they give you points to use for the previous year in addition to the points you are buying. Doing this, we were able to bank and borrow, using 3X as many points as we owned to take the vacation we wanted.

We have added on several times and done the same offer, always in January. We never financed (used my husband's Christmas bonus) and therefore paid no interest which will make us break even sooner.

we are also toying with the idea of buying in...we have been going to Disney regularly since 2002, but just stayed at a DVC (OKW, rented points) for the first time last month. DH loved it and is really interested in buying in now. Did you buy in directly through Disney? If so, were you able to buy in to OKW?

we are also toying with the idea of buying in...we have been going to Disney regularly since 2002, but just stayed at a DVC (OKW, rented points) for the first time last month. DH loved it and is really interested in buying in now. Did you buy in directly through Disney? If so, were you able to buy in to OKW?

You can buy any resort directly, if they have the points available. Disney re-acquires points through ROFR (that is a resale purchase that has to be approved by DVC, Disney can repurchase the contract under the same terms that the buyer offered) or through default for non-payment of dues or loans.

Not every resort or every use year may be available when you are ready to buy.

While purchasing directly is generally quicker and easier, unless you plan to use your points for cruising, Adventures by Disney or to stay at a cash Disney resort...and the ability to do so is dwindling even for those of us that bought direct, as when a DVC component is added, we can no longer use points at that resort for a regular room. For OKW, I would buy resale today. Just be sure you are getting an extended contract to 2057, and not 2042, as the pricing isn't much different. With direct, all contracts are extended.

The exception would be small add-on contracts. I'd probably buy up to 50 points for an add on directly, simply for the convenience and time. Time is money ;)

Checked in a few hours ago. Loving OKW!! My only request was near bus stop and we are right across from one. Just discovered we have an Illuminations "view". We can definitely hear them. :rotfl2: Ate dinner at Olivia's. Yum!!!

You can buy any resort directly, if they have the points available. Disney re-acquires points through ROFR (that is a resale purchase that has to be approved by DVC, Disney can repurchase the contract under the same terms that the buyer offered) or through default for non-payment of dues or loans.

Not every resort or every use year may be available when you are ready to buy.

While purchasing directly is generally quicker and easier, unless you plan to use your points for cruising, Adventures by Disney or to stay at a cash Disney resort (and the ability to do so is dwindling even for those of us that bought direct, as when a DVC component is added, we can no longer use points at that resort for a regular room) for OKW, I would buy resale today. Just be sure you are getting an extended contract to 2057, and not 2042, as the pricing isn't much different. With direct, all contracts are extended.

The exception would be small add-on contracts. I'd probably buy up to 50 points for an add on directly, simply for the convenience and time. Time is money ;)

thank you! Great info, we are definitely considering buying, I will have to spend some time reading up!

Did you buy in directly through Disney? If so, were you able to buy in to OKW?

We have always bought directly through Disney even though it is a little more expensive to do so. We have toyed with the idea of buying resale, but our vacation adviser is always so helpful, and we love the peace of mind, the quick ability to book with the points, and the incentive of points to use from the previous year (offered in January).

Our adviser has never pressured us to buy a minimum number of points; in fact, we bought 60 AKV points the first time and have consistently added on in smaller increments at OKW after that. For the OKW points, we were put on a waiting list, and Bill estimated how long he thought they would take to come through. The points always came through in about half the time he estimated.

These are the only two resorts we own at, but and we love to stay at OKW, but we have also had good luck getting in at Beach Club and Board Walk in the summer at the 7 month window. (I call when they open.)

We have always bought directly through Disney even though it is a little more expensive to do so. We have toyed with the idea of buying resale, but our vacation adviser is always so helpful, and we love the peace of mind, the quick ability to book with the points, and the incentive of points to use from the previous year (offered in January).

Our adviser has never pressured us to buy a minimum number of points; in fact, we bought 60 AKV points the first time and have consistently added on in smaller increments at OKW after that. For the OKW points, we were put on a waiting list, and Bill estimated how long he thought they would take to come through. The points always came through in about half the time he estimated.

These are the only two resorts we own at, but and we love to stay at OKW, but we have also had good luck getting in at Beach Club and Board Walk in the summer at the 7 month window. (I call when they open.)

thank you!

Hey all! We will be staying at OKW Feb 20-23rd and I have a question.
I know the water in park leaves a lot to be desired. How is the water from the faucet at OKW? Just wondering if we want to order water or not.

I have never stayed at a DVC resort and really looking forward to it.

Any suggestions on anything else at OKW?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter