Okay, This is Gonna be an Awkward Question...

DantePD

Mouseketeer
So, my husband and I are going to WDW the first week in December and we're obviously excited...but now, it's kind of colored by the events of the last week.

My husband is needless to say, freaked out and a little scared because of the attack at Pulse. (I'm law enforcement, I understand that the odds of this happening in a Disney are extremely small.) So, I'm trying to find something to assuage his fears some.

Has anyone here in the LGBT community (or allies) had a bad experience being gay at Disney? Things like PDAs (I'm talking holding hands, a kiss, etc. Not a makeout session) and the like. Has anyone had other guests or staff react poorly to us being Out at Disney?

God, I hate that I even have to ask this.

I am not part of the LGBT community, but I really don't think your husband need worry at Disney. I would think that most people wouldn't care and those that are weird about it would, at the most, stare. Holding hands, having a good time, enjoying a wonderful place with those we love is what Disney is about.
Obviously any over the top display of affection, despite ones sexual orientation, would be out of place at a Disney park...being loving and caring with someone is not.
I hope you have a magical vacation and that you both feel safe and accepeted!

My wife and I both have family members and friends who are a part of the LGBT community. My wife and I are going to Disney this Sunday. We are staying at the Poly, it is really going to be awkward there since what happened at the GF. In my many trips to Disney, I have seen gays at Disney and it was never an issue for anyone. The cast members are very professional and I have never seen anything that had got out of hand or was over the top.

As Marlyn stated above, you should nothing to worry about at Disney.

Welcome to the DIS!

Perfectly appropriate question.

There is a whole message board here on the DIS devoted to the LGBT community. That might be a place to get more answers than you might find on this board. Go here: http://disboards.com/forums/gay-and-lesbian-at-disney.112/

Are you familiar with the founders of the DIS? They were a gay couple, now in other relationships, but still co-owners of Dreams Unlimited Travel. They and their friends, husbands, and coworkers do a podcast called the DIS Unplugged. They have spoken at length on the show, both this week and for years past, about how safe and welcome they feel being "out" at Disney. That welcoming spirit is part of why they moved to Orlando and focus on WDW as their career.

Here is some video -
The DISUnplugged reaction to the Pulse Shooting

The DISUnplugged discusses Inclusiveness at Disney

Have a magical vacation!

Yeah, I didn't notice the LGBT board till after I'd posted this. Whoops :P

The Pulse discussion episode is what led me here in the first place (A friend linked me to it on Facebook.)

I'm honestly not all that concerned. I'm originally from Alabama, so I'm used to people being kind of hostile, but my husband is from DC, so he's not used to that kind of open hostility.

After everything that went down in Orlando, I'm mainly just looking for SOMETHING to tell him that might assuage his nervousness some

We were there during Gay Days just a few weeks ago.

I noticed absolutely nothing that was rude or scary involving members of the LGBT community. People were out enjoying themselves and I did not once hear anything disparaging towards anyone.

Also, Disney has increased security getting into the parks.

Nothing is 100% safe anywhere on the planet.

I wouldn't hesitate to go back.

My partner and I have walked throughout Disney World hand in hand over the years-- never so much as a dirty look in our special place. Cast members are friendly and polite-- we've even shared an (appropriate) kiss or two together after a special moment. I see very safe there.

Our favorite story, though is when we met Elsa. "Are you sisters?" She asked-- which was met with an impassioned "No!" A bit flustered, she asked "the very best of friends?" My partner said "Something like that." The message was clearly communicated-- and she remained perfectly friendly and polite!

I'm not part of the LGBT community but have been to WDW many times. I have never noticed other customers or staff being rude or mean at Disney because of someone's sexual orientation. This fall my DH and I will travel to Disney with my sister and her wife. I'm so excited to share my love of Disney with them. This is a place where everyone is welcome. Relax, enjoy, and have a wonderful time!

You should watch this now a little older podcast that the disunplugged team (this is their forum) did.. It really answers this question very well...

Yeah, I actually came across that last night and played it for him. It...seems to have helped. (And got me a little misty eyed for most of it.)

Yeah, I actually came across that last night and played it for him. It...seems to have helped. (And got me a little misty eyed for most of it.)

The 2 of you will have a wonderful, safe time at WDW. Enjoy the trip.

Thanks! (I'm already prepping to spawn camp the FastPass+ spots for Frozen Ever After when we hit 60 days out)

I have to share a story with you just to keep things light. My last trip to Magic Kingdom, I kept getting behind this very attractive couple of men. At first, I didn't know if they were in a relationship or friends and I really didn't care. As the day went on, I noticed slight hugs or hand touches mixed with soft conversation. At one point they kissed quickly and I couldn't help but giggle. They both shot me a rude/surprised look so of course I had to explain. I told them they were the sweetest couple I had ever seen and I really wished that everyone could find that level of happiness. They blushed and thanked me for the kind words.

Tell him that you guys will be going to the most Magical Place on earth and to live life in fear would be a disservice to all of the amazing memories you two can make! I hope he feels better and that you both have so much fun and create the best memories!

Tell him that you guys will be going to the most Magical Place on earth and to live life in fear would be a disservice to all of the amazing memories you two can make! I hope he feels better and that you both have so much fun and create the best memories!

Ashley just summed up what everyone else knows and the two of you will discover: We're all going for the Magic, the Fantasy and the Happiness. Enjoy.

Two of my dear friends, who are both trans women, spent last Christmas at WDW and were thrilled and relieved that they felt so safe and were treated so well. The only unusual attention either of them got was a fuss over being a birthday princess.

There's really only one "orientation" at WDW: We all want a picture with Mickey, and we'd all give our worldly possessions to spend the night in the castle. Any other preferences are irrelevant. ;) :earboy2:

Best. Post. Ever!

So sweet and true :)

There's really only one "orientation" at WDW: We all want a picture with Mickey, and we'd all give our worldly possessions to spend the night in the castle. Any other preferences are irrelevant. ;) :earboy2:
Lol my first thought is that the only oritentation question is if you would rather be a princess, a knight, or a pirate. Gender and age of course have no bearing on this choice.

Me I'm a girl that would go pirate every time :)

I'm not a member of the LGBT community, but I am a friend.

I'd say that your chances of having a drama free experience are extremely high. It's not uncommon for straight people to hold hands at Disney!

I'd say that people might react in some way to PDAs of any sort, but a violent or abusive reaction I've never seen. In fact, most people are focusing on their own holiday.

With the wide ranges of cultures and people that love the mouse - I wouldn't sweat it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter