Ok...Child potty question...

Originally posted by vhoffman
We recently went to Seaworld. We asked him repeatedly if he had to go, but he said no. Then I smelled that all-too-familiar smell. When I asked him why he didn't tell someone he had to go, he said he didn't want to "stop playing".

Oh man! I can relate. My almost 4 year old's "accidents" are all because she is too busy to use the bathroom. She actually did better at WDW during her potty training phase than at home.

cali2gagirl, I would suggest that you use the potty before getting into a long time. Better yet, I would suggest getting to the parks as soon as they open and avoiding the long lines altogether :). The bathrooms are not really all that far away from anything and there is always one on the way. I think your DH will just have deal with frequent potty breaks ... it's part of beiing a parent :).

The Baby Care Centers have bathrooms too. If you are concerned about long lines in the regular restrooms and a Baby Care Center is nearby, you might want to go there instead. We never experienced any waits to use the restrooms there.

We also made our newly trained 3yo dd go to the restroom and "try" before getting into a long line and before any shows, parades, etc. I also brought her with me whenever I had to go and had her "try" even if she said she didn't have to go. She did great - no accidents at all (but I always brought a pair of underpants and/or a Pull-up and an extra pair of shorts, just in case)!

For the plane rides, we did use Pull-ups because I knew she'd fall asleep. I told her that I accidentally packed all of her underpants in the suitcase and that she could just wear a Pull-up as underpants until we got to the hotel. She used the restroom before we boarded the plane and, even though she slept on the plane, her Pull-up was dry when we landed.

Good luck with everything and have a wonderful trip!

Originally posted by Jordan's MOM
She could understand that these were just for WDW time and you still expect her to tell you when she needs to go and contine to take her very often throughout the day.
good luck and have a great trip.

Hi cali2gagirl ~
I agree with the above. My 2.5 yo DD is also still having an accident or two, every other day or so, esp. if she's destracted (forgets to tell me). I KNOW she will be distracted in WDW. Here's what I plan to do: I have to take the pull-ups for bed time anyway. I'll play it by ear by putting her in panties at first and taking a change of clothes. If accidents become a problem I'll switch to the pull-ups. I know my DD won't regress bc. she is used to wearing the pull-ups when we go to church or over to someone's house, etc. At first she didn't want to wear them bc. they looked like diapers but I explained to her that they are her "going out panties" and showed her how they go up and down like underwear. Come to think of it, she has never "gone" in a pull-up, she always tells me she has to go just as if she has underwear on.
This sounds like mere common sense but I really try to watch (not limit, just take notice) how much she is drinking during the day. If she chugs down a whole sippy cup, I don't wait for her to tell me that she has to go, but just take her a couple of times starting about 20 mins. after she drank. Recently she started "doing the dance" and "holding herself" so these are dead give-aways to head for the nearest potty, pronto!

BTW-Public restrooms are SO MUCH harder with a girl! When I took my boys they literally didn't have to touch anything. I cringe when DD accidentally puts her hand on the toilet seat. Ugh!

LOL Crazymom - My daughter has finally learned...everytime she tries to hold herself up by putting her hands on the seat , I yell "Dont touch the potty!!"...She now catches herself and rests her hands on her thighs!
I'm pretty confident this trip is gonna work out fine. Of course I'll take the pullups...but I"m not telling her I have them unless they are needed!
Thanks to everyone :)

My daughter was going on four and still not convinced she needed to be potty trained. Some days were good, some weren't, and it was especially bad when it wasn't convienent for her to stop what she was doing.

The peditrician had us move her back to diapers after every accident, and then she had to earn her way back into underwear by going in the potty. It was about two weeks of back and forth, but she finally got potty trained.

So crazymom may have the best idea. Start each day in underwear, move to pullups if necessary. I don't think your daughter will see this as a regression as much as a having to be responsible for her own potty training in order to be a big girl.

(I still have the opinion that your child is either physically ready or not, and psychologically ready or not. If you child is physically ready, they can hold for a car trip - at least until you can stop - or in line or for the length of time it takes to get through a ride. If they can't do this, you are probably rushing potty training and asking for accidents - but I had two late trainers with this philosophy - but two who can both hold for half an hour if they need to - and no accidents once they decided they were psychologically ready - a WHOLE different issue.)

We went when my son was 2 1/2 and had been potty trained for three weeks. The only time we ever had to get out of a line was at the MK, just before it opened. We were waiting at the rope to the right of the castle in a long line, and the park didn't open for another 10 minutes. I asked the cast member if we could please use the bathroom nearby (in Fantasyland) so we wouldn't have to go all the way back to Main Street. Thankfully, he said "yes" (it probably didn't hurt that I was 7 months pregnant at the time!).

Beware... When my oldest was newly potty trained we went to WDw. The autoflushes scared her and I guess the whole trip was a littel overwhelming in the first place. We had luckily packed pull ups and it took MONTHS to recover after that trip. I woudl suggest taking them to the mall or soemthing several times and getting them used to going in a large public bathroom with lots of noise and people. The auotflushes at WDw seemed particualrily loud and powerful. The thing that really threw her was she was so tiny that the autosenser would go off before she was done. This scarred her for months! Didn't soemoen mention putting stickers over the autosenser? Good idea, I heard about this after we got back that trip. :rolleyes:
Regardless, I've been waiting to potty train my youngest until after thsi trip. Call me a wimp. :p
Oh, and I believ ToysRus sells thsoe foladble potty seats for travel. Just be careful cause they can pinch the hinny! This was great cause she couldn't put her hnads on the toilet seat.

I've added "stickers" to my packing list! Thanks! Never would have thought of this. I know DD would be petrified of the auto-flush.

Thanks for all the advice!! I have the stickers and we are leaving in an hour!! :)
See ya'll when we get back!!

An hour before they leave and she has the time and presence of mind to get a post off! :smooth:

An hour before we leave for a trip my brain is fried 3 different ways trying to make sure I've thought of everything! :eek:

If you go to the baby care centers or ask a cast member there are bathrooms for children where they are closer to the ground and are not automatic.

Ok...we are back and it all went great :) We did have 2 accidents...but they weren't even at the parks! One was while we were driving around for dinner and got lost and didn't stop in time, and she did wet the bed 1 night...but I figure, hey! That was a great trip!!
A funny thing...my daughter thought the automatic flushes were COOL! She couldn't wait for them to do it themselves!!

Thanks for the follow-up! I've been watching this thread, since we are in the potty-training stage. More like we let our 22mo dd wear Pull-Ups, but we aren't consistent with taking her potty. So, I'm so stressed out, and looking for the "perfect answer"! :rolleyes: She needs to be potty trained before our cruise in Dec. & I'm getting a little worried about it...

Originally posted by cali2gagirl
A funny thing...my daughter thought the automatic flushes were COOL! She couldn't wait for them to do it themselves!!

Kids...so unpredictable! Glad to hear you had a good time. Only 2 accidents, that's great! My DD has been doing a lot better this past week, only one accident and it was while deeply engrossed in playing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter