OJ Simpson Died

I had an identical experience. Must have been lots of people gathered around lots of conference rooms that day.

We must not have had a tv in our office. We all went to a co-worker's house to watch the verdict.

Some poster did. Apologies if you didn't.

Sad when someone loses a parent but they are grownups. Sadder when you lose a parent as a child.
I understand what you're saying. IMO this is probably quite complex for his children, no matter how you look at it. His children from wife number one may have a certain perspective, his children with Nicole, incredibly complex. Bottom line, it's got to be rough to lose a parent and have the media and a wide swath of the public essentially doing an end zone celebration, no matter your age.

I'm sorry for their loss and wish them peace with it.

I understand what you're saying. IMO this is probably quite complex for his children, no matter how you look at it. His children from wife number one may have a certain perspective, his children with Nicole, incredibly complex. Bottom line, it's got to be rough to lose a parent and have the media and a wide swath of the public essentially doing an end zone celebration, no matter your age.

I'm sorry for their loss and wish them peace with it.
Yes I'm sure it was hard to be his child.

Oh. Don't recall any of those discussions. Just quick googling it seems just one person they call "an obsessed private detective" not involved with case, pursued this story. Jason was never a suspect by authorities.

No, police never investigated him. But I knew a lot of people IRL that speculated about it, as well as some commentators on TV.

I was in 7th grade. I went to a school in a “rough” neighborhood. The school was 99.9% black and Hispanic. They stopped class and turned on the TVs to watch the verdict live. Everyone cheered. Our teacher was white and a domestic violence survivor and I thought she was going to pass out. She was visibly upset and I think may have been in tears. It was so racially divided.

My father watched my grandfather shoot his mother when he was about 11 years old. She almost died in front of them. He did 5 years for attempted manslaughter. I didn’t find out about this until I was about 13 because my father, aunt and uncle still had a relationship with him. He was my grandfather all of my life. He bought me Christmas presents, we went with him to get ice cream, etc. It was one big cluster. He has since passed and the whole thing is/was so traumatic.

I can’t imagine what OJs kids have gone through. They obviously feel he didn’t do it. It’s hard to imagine your father killed your mother especially when he’s found not guilty and you were a child. I see how hard it was on my father, aunt and uncle and they KNOW he did it. And now that OJ is dead it’s all back in the news and his kids have to relive it alllll over again.

No, police never investigated him. But I knew a lot of people IRL that speculated about it, as well as some commentators on TV.
I wonder how much of the information in that book would hold up to sworn testimony in cross examination on the witness stand? My first challenge to that idea is -- if this son was in such a condition to spiral and lash out and kill two people so horrifically, has he had serious psychological treatment in the meantime, or has he continued to commit heinous acts completely under the radar? People with mental illness go on and off their meds. Someone at the level of psychosis described in those book excerpts who also committed these murders would not simply be able to function normally going forward by taking a medication. This would be a level of psychosis requiring inpatient treatment and ongoing outpatient therapies.

It's so easy to skim through a list of information and begin to form an opinion about something like this and think -- OMG, how obvious, how did this get missed? How allegations and "evidence" hold up under solid cross examination and legal challenges often tells a much different story.

Not to mention, if OJ knew his son did this and was trying to protect him, why on earth would he have claimed he was going to find the murderer? Granted, he may have felt it took some heat off him, but it also offered incentive for others to believe and possibly dig around and stumble into something pointing at his son.

Not to mention, if OJ knew his son did this and was trying to protect him, why on earth would he have claimed he was going to find the murderer?

Why would he say that if he knew he did it himself? And seriously, he never launched any type of investigation so that was an empty comment anyway. Also, I didn’t say the son did it. I was just clarifying the comment made by another poster was not regarding the 6 year old son, but his grown son. There definitely was plenty of speculation about the whole thing. All these years later, there’s still a whole lot of speculation.

Edit to add: it can be argued that whoever committed those murders was at a certain level of psychosis. If it was OJ… he was never institutionalized or on meds for psych issues that we know of either. So that point doesn’t exonerate anyone IMO.

Why would he say that if he knew he did it himself? And seriously, he never launched any type of investigation so that was an empty comment anyway. Also, I didn’t say the son did it. I was just clarifying the comment made by another poster was not regarding the 6 year old son, but his grown son. There definitely was plenty of speculation about the whole thing. All these years later, there’s still a whole lot of speculation.
I agree it was an empty comment and that he was doing absolutely zero investigation. Double jeopardy gave him legal protection and he was well aware he was largely viewed as guilty, irrespective of the verdict. IMO he was banking on the comment swaying some opinion his way.

If however he thought his son did it and he was trying to protect his son, the comment would have been not so empty and too much of a risk.

Edit to add: it can be argued that whoever committed those murders was at a certain level of psychosis. If it was OJ… he was never institutionalized or on meds for psych issues that we know of either. So that point doesn’t exonerate anyone IMO.

OJ as the murderer is simply the culmination of ongoing DV in my mind. IDK if I'd peg that as an act of psychosis under those circumstances. I'll leave that to the professionals. (Note: NOT minimizing the acts in any way. What happened was horrific. Full stop.)

My comments about psychosis surrounding the son were in regards to the statements from the book cited in the article linked above. There's never been any public information suggesting the son had conflict with Nicole or violent incidents between them. If there wasn't prior history between them and he simply spiraled into rage and murdered her based on choosing a different restaurant that night, that points to a psychotic break. IMO this is much different than the scenario with OJ, even if the results are the same. It's simply not credible to me that an individual in this set of circumstances simply resumes taking a med and goes back to living his life without ever having another major episode in 30 years. That's why I used the psychosis label here.

He was 18 at the time.
Yes it was clarified above they were not talking about Nicole's son.

From reading it appears he was never under investigation, that a singular obsessed private detective had made it his life's work, and I guess some media ran with it.

Yes it was clarified above they were not talking about Nicole's son.

From reading it appears he was never under investigation, that a singular obsessed private detective had made it his life's work, and I guess some media ran with it.
I guess I didn't read past your quote to keep seeing if someone else already answered and clarified the son's age.

From what I've read, there was a bit more to that theory than an obsessed detective.

OJ Simpson has been convicted of armed robbery and kidnapping. I believe he was only acquitted in the 1990s just because he is a celebrity and he had a lot of fans. Good riddance when he passed away. My condolences go to his victims.

OJ Simpson has been convicted of armed robbery and kidnapping. I believe he was only acquitted in the 1990s just because he is a celebrity and he had a lot of fans. Good riddance when he passed away. My condolences go to his victims.
He was acquitted by Jury Nullification because of the abhorrent treatment of Rodney King IMO.

Sad but true.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter