• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

'Ohana Emergency!

Kanga&TwoRoos

Mouseketeer
I'm traveling to the World with my in laws. We leave in 2 days. Our first ADR is for the whole family (9 people) at 'Ohana Sunday night. My MIL and BIL are very picky eaters. We all agreed on 'Ohana six months ago and at that time they were really excited about "the meat on sticks" place.
Now, three days before the reservation (178 days since I made the ADR) my MIL looks at the menu online and is worried it's too exotic. She thinks maybe we should do Boma instead.

Sooooo...is the food at 'Ohana too spicy/flavorful? Will someone who is pretty picky but likes meat be happy?

She thinks 'Ohana is too exotic, but Boma is ok? hmm

Do you know you can order other food there like chicken nuggets and grilled cheese (no reduction in price)? It's usually for kids, but if the rest of the family will be disappointed to skip 'Ohana because one or two doesn't like the food...you'll make yourself nuts trying to please every single person at every meal.

She thinks 'Ohana is too exotic, but Boma is ok? hmm.

I know, right?

It's my in-laws' 40th wedding anniversary though so as much as I'm annoyed that this is coming out at the last minute, I want them to be happy with the dinner. I honestly think she just looked at the menu and got scared. "Szechuan" steak, "spicy" shrimp, "sweet and sour" chicken? Is the food actually spicy or are they just trying to make it sound fancier on the menu?

It's not hot-spicy but yes there are spices used. Probably a marinade. And the shrimp are in-shell, and you have to peel them yourself. Lots of picky people don't like that.

If it is a special dinner for her and you feel she won't like it, then by all means switch to someplace she'd like...don't know how easy it will be to get a reservation for 9 at the last minute though, so hang on to 'Ohana until you find something else.

I know, right?

It's my in-laws' 40th wedding anniversary though so as much as I'm annoyed that this is coming out at the last minute, I want them to be happy with the dinner. I honestly think she just looked at the menu and got scared. "Szechuan" steak, "spicy" shrimp, "sweet and sour" chicken? Is the food actually spicy or are they just trying to make it sound fancier on the menu?
I've not found the shrimp to be spicy at all. They are have the shell on them, so any spices are peeled off when you peel them.

I'm traveling to the World with my in laws. We leave in 2 days. Our first ADR is for the whole family (9 people) at 'Ohana Sunday night. My MIL and BIL are very picky eaters. We all agreed on 'Ohana six months ago and at that time they were really excited about "the meat on sticks" place.
Now, three days before the reservation (178 days since I made the ADR) my MIL looks at the menu online and is worried it's too exotic. She thinks maybe we should do Boma instead.

Sooooo...is the food at 'Ohana too spicy/flavorful? Will someone who is pretty picky but likes meat be happy?

I'm sorry, don't mean to laugh, but I was :rotfl2: when I read the bolded above! Seriously though, the food at Boma is way way more exotic than anything at 'Ohana, unless they are going to eat off the kids' section at Boma. I don't think there is anything spicy or exotic to be had at 'Ohana, in my opinion, and we've eaten at both places many times. I'd stick to the original plan.

I'm sorry, don't mean to laugh, but I was :rotfl2: when I read the bolded above! Seriously though, the food at Boma is way way more exotic than anything at 'Ohana, unless they are going to eat off the kids' section at Boma. I don't think there is anything spicy or exotic to be had at 'Ohana, in my opinion, and we've eaten at both places many times. I'd stick to the original plan.
Thanks! I probably would have laughed too if I wasn't gritting my teeth so hard. Gotta love being the planner for a group of indecisive people. Haha

Last edited:
Nothing spicy hot but shrimp is flavorful. The beef is similar to a good steak. The chicken is excellent with the sauces on the side that can be used with any of the meats. The bread pudding dessert is worth going just for that!

Boma is VERY exotic on many of its items That said, for the less adventurous Boma has plenty of more traditional items that will please anyone.

Has she even looked at the menu for Boma?
How can anyone who can read could look at a menu for Boma and a menu for Ohana and think Ohana is exotic and Boma isn't?
Ohana may well be too exotic for them but Boma isn't the answer, that is for sure.
Though really, how can shrimp, steak and chicken grilled on a stick be too exotic? Sides may well be but not the meats.
God knew what he was doing when he didn't put any picky eaters in my life. I'm afraid they'd be starving as I don't put up with that at all.

I remember my last trip we went with a group, and everyone was a little apprehensive of my choice for Ohana. But everyone LOVED it.
The menu makes it sound a lot more exotic then it is....basically just grilled meats, salad, and noodles(if you like Chinese food, you'll like them). Of course the yummy bread pudding too

I and my daughter typically eat pretty bland food and we enjoyed Ohana. It was flavorful but not spicy. They will like it I'm sure.

My MIL and FIL are meat and potatoes folks who do not like anything 'ethnic' (and they include Italian in that). They like and always do Ohana with us.

My picky teen boy who likes plain meat far preferred 'Ohana to Boma last time. He LOVED 'Ohana and ate steak as if it was his last meal! :rotfl:

'Ohana is DH's fave and he is far from adventurous! I don't feel anything is spicy, or has exotic spices. I have avoided Boma because the spice profiles don't appeal to DH, or myself if I am being honest. The experience and atmosphere at 'Ohana is fun, also. I would definitely try to convince them to leave things as they are. Good luck!

We love Ohana and eat there nearly every trip. They've always described the food on the menu to make it sound far more fancy than it is.

Look at the name of the salad dressing--Lilikoi-- what is that? It used to be a honey lime vinaigrette. Maybe Lilikoi is Hawaiian or another Polynesian language for honey lime. IDK.

Ohana reminds me of the Polynesian restaurants I went to when I was growing up. We had a bunch of "Dragon" Inns where I lived as a child. Chan's Dragon Inn, John's Dragon Inn, etc.

Ohana totally reminds me of those places--the decor, food and drinks--so I have happy nostalgia when I go to Ohana. Alas, there are no more Dragon Inns left in my area. :(

Anyhow, ask your in-laws if they went to any Dragon Inns back in the day. If they liked them, they will love Ohana. :)

Happy 40th to them! party:

My son is very very picky. First time he went, he was also a "I'm not going to like the food" person. He ordered the chicken nuggets and mac and cheese. He ended eating a lot of "our" food too. He was around 23 at the time.

Thanks, everybody. I'm pretty sure they'll like it once they try it. I did a lot of research to find restaurants the pickier people would like. Besides 'Ohana we have a breakfast at Crystal Palace, lunch at Garden Grill and dinner at 50s Prime Time.
Sometimes my MIL will get it in her head that she doesn't like something and not really give it a chance.
Wish me luck for our trip. It should be interesting!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter