• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

'Ohana breakfast or stick to Kona Cafe?

sallytigger

Mouseketeer
We were happy with breakfast at Kona Cafe on our last trip. We are debating whether to try 'Ohana for breakfast instead on our June trip. Would love to hear any opinions. Our sons are older, 14 and 10, so it wouldn't necessarily be for the characters, although we all do love a character meal :)

Honestly, if you're after food, go to Kona. 'Ohana breakfast is all about the characters, and the actual spread for breakfast is very simple: Fruit, bread, potatoes, sausage, bacon, scrambled eggs, Mickey waffles. You are paying for the characters, and even the heartiest eaters are unlikely to see the "value" of the adult rate at 'Ohana on food alone (if for no other reason than that it can be hard to get platter refills).

Another vote for Kona if characters aren't important. The tonga toast and Kona coffee were delicious!! I loved our breakfast at Kona and would definitely go back!! 'Ohana was our least favourite character meal. The berries were very good but the rest of our food was dried out like it had been under the warmer for way too long and the characters rushed through the tables without much interaction. Now that my daughter has had her breakfast with Stitch, we probably won't go back.

On our last trip the older boys in or group, 10, 12, and 14 loved Ohana. I think they ate their weight in bacon and sausage. While the food is basic, we think it is very good. Both the older and younger boys also like Stitch so they enjoyed that as well.

We just went to 'Ohana breakfast a couple of weeks ago and it was very good. Yes it is basic, but everything was very good, very hot, very fresh and we had absolutely no issues getting refills of anything. The fruit was good for out of season melon... not the best I've ever had but not yucky either... sweet but a bit firm (which I don't mind) and the berries were very good, as was the pineapple... there was free flowing POG juice (I am not sure you get refills at Kona for your $5 a glass), my son got a whole big pile of bacon as a refill and ate about 4 waffles himself and the potatoes were super crispy and yummy, he ate so many of those it surprised me as he would not touch those kind of potatoes last year. The disney breakfast sausage was a new favorite of mine too. Even though it is a "basic" breakfast, I love being able to have fruit with breakfast and more than just a couple of slices of bacon or a link of sausage (oink oink) so for me, the value is there. By the time you order a basic egg/meat/potatoes breakfast for $12, a fruit plate for $5.50, juice for $5 and coffee for $3 you are pretty much within $5 of 'Ohana's breakfast, plus you get the mickey and stitch waffles and the characters.... so I do think the value is there IF you want that kind of breakfast. If you want a different kind of breakfast or would only eat a few of the items then it's not worth it. It would cost me a fortune to feed my son what he ate at that buffet too, I think with hungry boys you can get your money's worth too.

I book 'Ohana every trip for breakfast. We are a breakfast family when on holiday even though not so much when at home. The food is plentiful & always hot & freshly made.
We've never had poor service & the character interaction has always been great.

I like Kona but not for breakfast, I don't enjoy their specialty - Tonga toast. So for what I would order there, 'Ohana is my preferred choice :)

It just goes to show how different a restaurant can be day to day. We were there just days before Lisa F and we had a horrible experience. This was not our first time. My DD7 has her 5th birthday here (22 people) and everything was wonderful. We ate here last year again and has an excellent experience. On Dec. 12th of this year it was terrible. EVERYTHING was cold. The food was exactly what you can get at captain cooks. The eggs tastes like powder, instead of big potatoes with the peppers and onions, it was those little frozen squares, that were cold. The syrup was sitting on the table ice cold. The fruit tasted like those fruit cups you can buy at the quick service places and everything tastes the same. The characters which are always stellar were super rushed. I would have complained to our waitress but we never saw her. We had to ask 4 different people to get ketchup.

So to answer your question, unless you just really, really MUST meet Lilo and Stitch....run far away. We will not be back.

Thank you all for the detailed responses! One further question I have is how the interaction with Lilo and Stitch is? I have two big eaters who might like that family style. Of course, now,that someone mentioned Tonga toast, I'm thinking we can't miss Kona. Might have to do both. We are breakfast people on our Disney trips.

Thanks again.

Thank you all for the detailed responses! One further question I have is how the interaction with Lilo and Stitch is? I have two big eaters who might like that family style. Of course, now,that someone mentioned Tonga toast, I'm thinking we can't miss Kona. Might have to do both. We are breakfast people on our Disney trips.

Thanks again.
Lilo wasn't that great, but Stitch was fantastic. Our Pluto was also great when we were there.

We usually go to both for breakfast every trip. But if I'm picking just based on the menu, I'd pick Kona. I really like the menu. Both the Tonga Toast and the macadamia nut pancakes are winners in my book!

Thanks again.
they are played by different actors so it's hard to say... one person's experience might be different than another's.

Yet another vote for Kona. The food is very good there and there is no "character premium" in the pricing.

Kona is our favorite departure day breakfast. We have done O'hana in the past, but it is not on our list of must do's.

Kona is a must do on all our trips. We love their breakfast! If you are going for the food then I would go with Kona. On another note we also love Ohana, and thats also a must do on our trips, lol. Thats a tough decision! Although since your kids are older I think they would probably enjoy Kona much more

As others have said stick with Kona. You've already discovered the best breakfast on property, stick with it.

As an aside, if you haven't tried it we're also big fans of The Wave breakfast. I'm not typically a buffet fan, but The Wave's is pretty small so everything is fresh and its really just like ordering off a menu, just in unlimited quantity ; )

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter