• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Oh, The Places We’ll Go! From the “stars” to the “sea”: Universal, SeaWorld & beyond - Spring 2016

No giant doughnut? ;)

We can't go on the Simpsons ride anymore either. I think Eric was nauseous for the rest if the day after riding it,

You got so lucky with the low crowds!

Nice 20 minute wait! I feel like May is a good month for Orlando, and I admit I never thought of going that month before. Not sure why! I guess school. Pfft!

I haven't done Gringotts yet, but I'm impressed you did it last time! I forget, have you done Spiderman? How does it compare to that?

Wish I had a butterbeer right now, it's 90+ here today! :crazy2:

I agree Diagon Alley is just amazing....I am not a Harry Potter guy (although the wife and son like it) but I could walk around the alley all day looking at all the details. I really hope Disney reaches this level of detail and immersiveness (not a real world, I know!) with their new lands.

I am the exact same way.....not a Potterhead by any stretch (seen a movie or two, but never read any of the books), but Universal has done such an incredible job on Diagon Alley and Hogsmeade that I can't help but be impressed. I love that feeling of being "transported" to somewhere new....and Universal has been able to accomplish that perfectly.

No giant doughnut? ;)

We can't go on the Simpsons ride anymore either. I think Eric was nauseous for the rest if the day after riding it,

You got so lucky with the low crowds!

No giant doughnut!! I can hardly believe I'm tying that!! We didn't get a chance to try the Butterbeer fudge like we'd planned, either :sad:. That will teach us for eating a big meal at IHOP before we get to the park.

We were extremely lucky with both crowds and weather....two of the biggest (and most unpredictable) factors in vacation success. There were definitely prayers of thanks being sent heavenward for those blessings!

Nice 20 minute wait! I feel like May is a good month for Orlando, and I admit I never thought of going that month before. Not sure why! I guess school. Pfft!

I haven't done Gringotts yet, but I'm impressed you did it last time! I forget, have you done Spiderman? How does it compare to that?

Wish I had a butterbeer right now, it's 90+ here today! :crazy2:

Early May is really good, since the southern schools haven't yet broken for the summer. I think later in the month has the potential to be MUCH busier.

I still haven't done Spiderman: the guys did again this trip, and I seriously contemplated it.....but couldn't muster the nerve. Next time, I hope :).

I prefer to think it was just Gina's mad planning skills...

I do like to think that it was a combination of ridiculously good luck and my amazing planning talents :teeth:. Probably more of the former, though, and less of the latter :rotfl:.

Great updates Gina. It's great when crowds are so manageable. So much better than in July!

It's definitely nice to finally be able to travel when the elementary and secondary school students are still in school. If there is any consolation to having your kids grow up and bid their childhoods adieu, this is it ::yes::.

lovely morning, I love the blue skies too

Wishing you those same blue skies for your trip, my friend! Not long for you now!! :banana: Do pop in with a hello and live update from time to time while you are enjoying amazing Orlando. Have tons of fun on your vacation!!

@bankr63 ... did you see that your freesmileys.org website is down? :badpc: I had hoped maybe it was just having some temporary technical difficulties, but it's been several days now. I'm gutted :sad1:.

Last edited:

The Simpsons ride gets to me too, and I'm he same as your boys.. No coaster is too high, too fast, or has too many loops. Idk what it is, I'm fine on FJ and the Despicable Me ride :confused3

The Simpsons ride gets to me too, and I'm he same as your boys.. No coaster is too high, too fast, or has too many loops. Idk what it is, I'm fine on FJ and the Despicable Me ride :confused3

I agree with the Simpsons ride too...kills my stomach. Even though I had no problems when it was the Back to the Future ride. Odd, i know:)

I can't believe you haven't done Spider-Man, I only went on Gringotts last year at your bidding after getting the low down from you as to how bad or good it was! Now I have done Spider-Man, though last time the graphics broke down a few times. That's your goal for October now ,,

@bankr63 ... did you see that your freesmiles.org website is down? :badpc: I had hoped maybe it was just having some temporary technical difficulties, but it's been several days now. I'm gutted :sad1:.

Whaaaa?

It's been there for years!

My God Gina, you broke it!! :duck:

Sorry, haven't been commenting much of late. I'm currently always stuck about 3 pages behind, and hate commenting until I can get fully caught up. We've been so wrapped up with the getting Puff setup and on the road (Muskoka last w/e, Saranac Lake next w/e). Maybe I can get caught up over the weekend, but I am running the 5K for Ottawa Race Weekend as a fundraiser for Huntington Disease. As soon as May hits, there never seems to be any down time until September!

FJ and DM bother Steve just a bit. He's definitely more of a coaster guy than a motion simulator one. He has finally conquered his fear of Cat in the Hat, though......I am so proud of him! :teeth:

I'm completely amused by the woman standing on the side wearing a shirt that says sideshow. She most certainly is the sideshow.

She was very nice :goodvibes. She had been happily waving at guests as they walked by until we stopped for pictures, then I think we made her nervous LOL.

Well, that's the uniform of the employees in the Springfield area.... "Sideshow" as in "Sideshow Bob"....? :P

Someone else is a fellow Simpsons fan! :thumbsup2

I agree with the Simpsons ride too...kills my stomach. Even though I had no problems when it was the Back to the Future ride. Odd, i know:)

Is the physical ride the same as it was when it was Back to the Future? Just a different video on the screen? We never did get to experience Back to the Future.....that was before our first taste of the Universal parks.

I can't believe you haven't done Spider-Man, I only went on Gringotts last year at your bidding after getting the low down from you as to how bad or good it was! Now I have done Spider-Man, though last time the graphics broke down a few times. That's your goal for October now ,,

No Universal for us in October, sadly. Ah heck, I can't even be sad about it....we have so much other great stuff in the plans! Two Discovery Cove Days, two SeaWorld days (for their Halloween Spooktacular), two Aquatica days, to MNSSHP's (one with the Hallowishes Dessert Party), Oktoberfest at Celebration, Capone's Dinner Show, Pirates Dinner Adventure, and more. I couldn't squeeze in a day at Universal if I tried!! :rotfl:

Whaaaa?

It's been there for years!

My God Gina, you broke it!! :duck:

Sorry, haven't been commenting much of late. I'm currently always stuck about 3 pages behind, and hate commenting until I can get fully caught up. We've been so wrapped up with the getting Puff setup and on the road (Muskoka last w/e, Saranac Lake next w/e). Maybe I can get caught up over the weekend, but I am running the 5K for Ottawa Race Weekend as a fundraiser for Huntington Disease. As soon as May hits, there never seems to be any down time until September!

Good luck on the race, my friend! Bring lots of water, it sounds like its going to be a hot weekend for running. Assuming, of course, you are getting the hot and muggy weather that we are a couple of hours south of you. I had to cave and put my central air conditioning on yesterday.....in MAY!! :crazy2:

Tuesday, April 26th: more Universal

The wait time for Hogwarts Express, posted on the outside of Kings Cross Station, listed 10 minutes……not bad, we all thought :thumbsup2. Once we scanned our tickets and made our way into the queue, though, we had doubts of the 10 minute wait expectation: in fact, we doubted there would be any wait at all :confused3.

It was one, continuous, non-stop stroll right through the queue, through Platform 9 ¾, and up to the loading area. We didn’t pause even ONCE…..we had timed our boarding just perfectly! :banana:

We took some crowd photos…..just to prove it was crazy empty:

Needless to say, we were all in high spirits as we waited for our train to arrive….especially this girl :teeth::

We barely had time to snap a few photos when this came chugging into the station: ALL ABOARD!

The three of us had a car all to ourselves, which was so cool for Jake’s first Hogwarts Express experience. I’m not a huge fan of being close to strangers at the best of times, and the train cars are pretty ‘cozy’, so it was nice to have room to spread out, get comfortable, and just soak up all the good things about the ride. Before we knew it, we were pulling into Hogsmeade Station and emerging back into the Florida sunshine :sunny:. And guess what? We found where all the people were:

Woah! :scared1: Tons of bodies all squooshed in together :crowded:. The crowds did thin a tiny bit as we made our way into Hogsmeade, but it still felt much busier than Diagon Alley.

The wait for Dragon Challenge was only 10 minutes (quite surprising considering the volume of visitors), so the boys were happy to hand off their loose items to me and enjoy a spin on this coaster. This wasn’t the first time riding….even Jake had experienced in way back on his last visit in 2012…but some things are worth repeating ::yes::.

I waited for them in the open-air, covered seating area next to the Dragon Challenge entrance. The sun was SUPER strong so it was nice to get into the shade for a bit. Once they reconnected with me after their ride, I forced them into an obligatory photo…..and Jake was sure they would be trampled by the masses before I got an acceptable shot. As a result, he was sporting his Just Take The Dang Picture Please face :rolleyes::

Trust me, he was happier than he looked :p.

We poked around a bit around Hogsmeade, checking out some of the awesome little details, but eventually we had enough of all those bodies and decided to move on. I asked the guys if they wanted to hop back on the Hogwarts Express and return to Universal, and they agreed (so much park yet to enjoy!)…..but not before they made one stop. I was told to follow them, and we immediately headed off toward Jurassic Park.

River Adventure was sitting at a 25 minute wait (not surprising given the full sun and high heat of the day….we were headed to the high 80’s or low 90’s by mid-afternoon) but the boys weren’t interested in that right now, anyway. Onward we went, through Jurassic Park, through Toon Lagoon, and right on to Marvel Super Hero Island….well, almost.

You can just guess what’s coming, can’t you? :rolleyes1

Steve had a one track mind: there were minions, there was a sledgehammer, and there was a man-card at stake :snooty:. We had to wait while a few other folks tried to win their ladies the big prize, but though a couple came close (the low 90’s on the counter) each of them left empty-handed. That was a good sign…..a motivator for my Steve, who would obviously wanted to flex those YMCA-raised muscles and out-swing his competition. He paid the attendant the $6 fee, handed us his glasses and hat, grabbed the hammer and …..

DING! :jumping1:

It took all three swings to find the “sweet spot” on the target (which, as he whispered to a very fun fellow who was among those who tried unsuccessfully right before him and then stayed to watch him play, was not dead centre, but at the one o’clock placement) but that last attempt was golden. Another minion for my every-growing collection! :cheer2:

Jake, of course, was not to be outdone. While the sledge hammer game was not his game of choice, basketball most definitely was: and guess what was skillfully located right next to the sledge hammer game? He had already eyed the prize he wanted: the Crominion, one of the few minions I didn’t yet have in my collection. Not only was his male pride on the line…..he had to at least equal his father’s efforts, after all ;)…...he also had the chance to delight his mom with a new and rare minion stuffie.

Yeah, baby! :woohoo: I never doubted it for a minute!

With two new Minion friends in tow, the guys quickly decided they had worked up an appetite. Rather than wait until we returned to the Studios to dine, we opted to try something new at this park instead:

Lunch at Thunder Falls Terrace is next.

The wait time for Hogwarts Express, posted on the outside of Kings Cross Station, listed 10 minutes……not bad, we all thought :thumbsup2. Once we scanned our tickets and made our way into the queue, though, we had doubts of the 10 minute wait expectation: in fact, we doubted there would be any wait at all :confused3.

Wow that's even emptier than it was in September!

And guess what? We found where all the people were:

http://s1156.photobucket.com/user/G...016_0102orlandoapril0080_zpsplsn2ue2.jpg.html

That's hilarious I guess that's where everyone was haha :D

Steve had a one track mind: there were minions, there was a sledgehammer, and there was a man-card at stake :snooty:. We had to wait while a few other folks tried to win their ladies the big prize, but though a couple came close (the low 90’s on the counter) each of them left empty-handed. That was a good sign…..a motivator for my Steve, who would obviously wanted to flex those YMCA-raised muscles and out-swing his competition. He paid the attendant the $6 fee, handed us his glasses and hat, grabbed the hammer and …..

DING! :jumping1:

It took all three swings to find the “sweet spot” on the target (which, as he whispered to a very fun fellow who was among those who tried unsuccessfully right before him and then stayed to watch him play, was not dead centre, but at the one o’clock placement) but that last attempt was golden. Another minion for my every-growing collection! :cheer2:

Jake, of course, was not to be outdone. While the sledge hammer game was not his game of choice, basketball most definitely was: and guess what was skillfully located right next to the sledge hammer game? He had already eyed the prize he wanted: the Crominion, one of the few minions I didn’t yet have in my collection. Not only was his male pride on the line…..he had to at least equal his father’s efforts, after all ;)…...he also had the chance to delight his mom with a new and rare minion stuffie.

http://s1156.photobucket.com/user/G...016_0102orlandoapril0087_zpslpwgpk8w.jpg.html

My boyfriend is the same way with those games if he doesn't win he has to try again later, this trip he's determined to get it. He did win at the Renaissance Fair though so I guess that softens the blow. :rolleyes:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter