Official Wine and Dine 2016 thread

So I just got the email with the prices on it and now I'm really torn, it's only $70 more for the half but you get the gift card and party ticket. I've run several WDW 10k races but that's kind of been it for me. I never really thought I would do a longer distance for 2 reasons....one, I get bored, my music can only take me so far. Two, which is the bigger one is...time to train. I barely squeeze in the time to train for the 10k, which basically involves 2, short runs during the week of 2-3 miles and 1 long run on the weekend of 6-7 miles. So how much more time do I need to invest to really train for the half? Oh and I'm pretty slow, I do about a 13 min/mile but I don't know I could keep that pace for 7 more miles since I've never really tried.

You can totally do a half! I've done quite a few halfs (halves? :)) and one full - I used to train like a madwoman and would still end up disappointed in my time, not to mention worn down and burned out. These days I pretty much do the bare minimum training to prevent injury and not be totally miserable by the finish: 1-2 short runs per week, short HIIT workouts and lots of walking on off days, and long runs maxing out between 8 and 10 miles (2:1 minute run/walk intervals). Of course every body will handle training differently but that's what's worked for me! Good luck!

Has anybody seen anything about the potential field size for the 1/2 this year? I know the thought has seemed to be that there will be an increase with the move to a morning race.

How large are the 10k fields, usually?

I think that for Princess weekend there were about 12,000 running the 10K and 18,000 running the half.

Last edited:
Ok I need advice. Our flights are already booked. We get into Orlando at 4pm Saturday. Would I even have time to pick up my bib, etc?

I heard quite a few things when I called them a couple of weeks ago - almost nothing was correct. I'm not expecting an AP email (I didn't even get the regular email, and I have gotten things from them before - nothing in my spam folder, but whatever).

When I train for a half, ideally I like to max out at a 12-mile long run. Some training plans have you max out at a 10-mile long run - it all depends on what training plan you use.

Maybe google around and check out some half marathon training plans to see what, if anything, is doable for your schedule. The Galloway plan, for example, has you do two 30-minute runs per week, with 1 long run that increases every other weekend (the weekends where it doesn't increase, you step back to 3 miles). He has you max out at a long run of 14 miles. I used this plan for the 2011 Princess Half (my first half) and even though I crapped out on the 14-miler, I still finished the race. :)

If you train, you CAN do it...but it's like you said, you have to be able to actually commit to the training (and WANT to commit to the training), and I think you're smart to realize that now. :)

I max out at 12mi as well... I think it's more psychological than anything else... makes me feel better to get that close to the half in my training! I like this one... http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51312/Half-Marathon-Novice-2-Training-Program

When my training hasn't been... let's say STELLAR, I've managed it with just two of the shorter runs in the week plus the long run. That wouldn't be too much time beyond what you are currently spending. My disclaimer: I am NOT a fast runner, and my goal is to stay fit, have fun, and run these races with family and ENJOY!! If I wanted to train for a better time, etc., I wouldn't drop any of the training days in the attached -- certainly not ADVOCATING that you drop any, just sharing that I have done it (out of time pressures or injuries), and managed a 5K, followed by 10K the next day, followed by a half the day after in DL and WDW.

Ariel is right. It's good to examine the training before you commit. If you've done several 10k's with the plan you described, I think you've got a pretty solid foundation to build on. It really comes down to just slowly adding a bit each week to that long run. And don't worry about the speed! You've got a 3 m/m buffer there, which is plenty. As far as the boredom goes... not much you can do about that! Although one method that I use on long drives is to listen to one of my favorite movies. You don't need to see it since you know it well and it really passes the time.

And ditto the above: The Jeff Galloway and Hal Higdon plans are among the most popular, for good reason.

That's the exact plan I would use for myself as well...Higdon's plans are so funny because even his Novice 1 plan is 4 days per week of running, which is probably a lot for most "novice" runners. I think the suggestion of dropping out the Wednesday run is a good one for @NicoleLarson, it sounds like that makes the plan more realistic for her schedule.

Thank you all so much for the tips and encouraging words. I'm going to have to really look over everything and see what I think is truly doable. I work full time and my DH goes to school in the evening and we have 2 small kids so that's why my schedule is so limited but I might be able to make it work. One day, I know I want to do a half, I just need to put my mind to it!

The redirect to the rD site.

Where it lists the races... those will become links.
So do you even need to be logged in to get to that page? Just as with the annual passholders, it seems that if you know the url to that page you can just go to it and get the link to register. Seems like a terrible set up, and no wonder people have been able to cheat the system.

Ok I need advice. Our flights are already booked. We get into Orlando at 4pm Saturday. Would I even have time to pick up my bib, etc?
I don't think that will work. According to the event guide from Princess weekend this year, the expo closed at 4 on Saturday. I think it's the same for all race weekends.

Last edited:
If you look at the schedule for the Start Wars Half Marathon weekend which has a similar race schedule, the expo closes at 4:00 PM on Saturday.

I'm guessing not. With other WDW races weekends that have a Sunday half, they've had the expo open until 4 or 5 on Saturday.

In the past they have had "emergency pick-up" the morning of the race. So assuming they still do that you could get your bib that morning. I think they mail you your shirt but I'm not sure...also not sure what that would do to your corral placement.

And other option...change your flight. :guilty:

The redirect to the rD site.

Where it lists the races... those will become links.

So do you even need to be logged in to get to that page? Just as with the annual passholders, it seems that if you know the url to that page you can just go to it and get the link to register. Seems like a terrible set up, and no wonder people have been able to cheat the system.

I don't think that will work. According to the event guide from Princess weekend this year, the expo closed at 4 on Saturday. I think it's the same for all race weekends.

You might want to delete the link as anyone can use it now. I know they may check if someone Is really dvc but again they may not. Not trying to sound rude hopefully, I just know sharing the AP link is frowned on too as it then opens it for anybody to use

Last edited:
You might want to delete the link as anyone can use it now. I know they may check if someone Is really dvc but again they may not. Not trying to sound rude hopefully, I just know sharing the AP link is frowned on too as it then opens it for anybody to use
My recollection is that it cannot be used unless you sign in to your DVC account, but I just changed it in the ones I could... Can't change it in posts where others have quoted.

Last edited:
Did anyone else get an e-mail with a special registration link?

My recollection is that it cannot be used unless you sign in to your DVC account, but I just changed it in the ones I could... Can't change it in posts where others have quoted.
That is my recollection as well. That a sign-in is required. But I think even without the link, I answered the question well enough so it's not necessary.

That is my recollection as well. That a sign-in is required. But I think even without the link, I answered the question well enough so it's not necessary.
Agreed -- and I removed just in case in your response to my question. Appreciate it! :)

I'm guessing not. With other WDW races weekends that have a Sunday half, they've had the expo open until 4 or 5 on Saturday.

In the past they have had "emergency pick-up" the morning of the race. So assuming they still do that you could get your bib that morning. I think they mail you your shirt but I'm not sure...also not sure what that would do to your corral placement.

And other option...change your flight. :guilty:

Exactly right and they still do it. Very non-publicized. 'Information' tent. All the unpicked-up bibs will be there.

Don't forget your ID and your waiver (they'll have blank ones if you do)

Brian

There have been reports from past races that RunDisney has cancelled registration of people who used the early registration links , but did not have an AP or were not DVC members.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter