***Official*** Pandora: The World of Avatar Information Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly, that's the beauty of this land. It has no bearing on the movie whatsoever.
Truthfully, if it or the rides were a rehash of the story of Avatar, we'd probably skip it. Truly. Disliked the move that much. But we are all excited about Pandora. Not as much as if it was based on IP we LOVE (ummm... Star Wars!!), but excited just because Disney Imagineering does great things.

ETA: And while IP is not the be all and end all, I would still expect much more excitement and higher crowd levels around the opening of SW land. IP isn't everything, but it certainly matters (hi, Harry Potter...)...

No the seats don't move out like Soarin.

Does anyone else find this completely disappointing? I'm going to stay positive, but I can't stand Star Tours - I find it so boring. I hope this doesn't compare to that ride in any way.

Craig from the Dis is a big time universal lover and highly critical of Disney. He said universal will have to respond to this. He said flight of passage is a 10/10.
I agree. For Craig to have had a positive reaction such that he did (especially if one had been watching the WDW and Universal Podcasts over the last few months where Pandora talk happened more since it was getting so close to opening) tells me even some skeptics can be amazed by Pandora.

I usually don't like spoilers, but having a bad back, I was curious to see if I could handle FoP so I watched the video. I think if the chair doesn't move too much, like Dinosaur, I can do this! I will wait to read more detailed reviews.
I am wondering how much of that beautiful detail in the queues of both rides would be missed by doing FP and single rider. I am thinking that part of my plan will have to include stand-by for both at least one time. Will be anxiously waiting for reviews!! This area looks incredible, and I don't care what it's based on! :)

Does anyone else find this completely disappointing? I'm going to stay positive, but I can't stand Star Tours - I find it so boring. I hope this doesn't compare to that ride in any way.
This is different than star tours.

I agree. For Craig to have had a positive reaction such that he did (especially if one had been watching the WDW and Universal Podcasts over the last few months where Pandora talk happened more since it was getting so close to opening) tells me even some skeptics can be amazed by Pandora.
Will have to go see it for myself, but I tend to agree that even skeptics can be amazed by Pandora. The part that seems a bit silly...at least to me, is thinking that Universal will have to respond to it. If anything, this is just Disney finally doing some long overdue catching up with what their competitor up the road has been doing for the past decade.

Will have to go see it for myself, but I tend to agree that even skeptics can be amazed by Pandora. The part that seems a bit silly...at least to me, is thinking that Universal will have to respond to it. If anything, this is just Disney finally doing some long overdue catching up with what their competitor up the road has been doing for the past decade.
I agree to a point but both parks basically bounce off each other. Harry Potter is what re-invented Universal really in the eyes of fans as it was sorta slowing down. Harry Potter (Hogsmeade) has been around since June 2010 (opening) and Harry Potter (Diagon Alley) has been around since July 2014 (opening). Now granted Diagon Alley is still under 3 years old though Hogsmeade is near 7 years old but as far as another world-building part of their park the next thing I believe on Universal's schedule is Mario related but the only information as far as opening date we've got is 2020 for the one located in Japan....which means it's probably still a while away from coming to Hollywood and Orlando--it is still supposed to come here to the U.S. but no actual date has been announced. That means that while Universal may still have rides opening up in the coming years it's not on the scale at this time with opening a new land and in the sense of world-building like Pandora is right now. I'm super excited for Mario but it's still years away at this point.

Catching up? Universal hasn't last Disney in attendance yet. Sure immersive theming is something universal has done really well but I don't know if it's catching up.

Anyways I'll end that there as this thread shouldn't be a universal vs. Disney fight. Nor should we talk about how the medias opinions aren't valid in this thread. This thread is for Pandora info.

Catching up? Universal hasn't last Disney in attendance yet. Sure immersive theming is something universal has done really well but I don't know if it's catching up.
True. I'm not sure Universal will ever match Disney's attendance numbers...at least not in my lifetime, however growth is what companies tend to pay the most attention to and that's where Disney had some catching up to do. As for immersive theming, they're both doing it extremely well and not sure that either has to play catch up to the other in that department.

I'm sure it is in this thread somewhere...any rumors on ride capacity for each ride?

Re soft openings before/between AP previews:

When will you be there? Sorry if you posted a few pages back and I don't recall.

The AP previews are May 13th-22nd. If you're there during that time frame then I'd say your best shot would be being around Pandora prior to noon time when the preview slots start. I'd say there's nearly zero chance they'll let anyone in within the 1 hour break in between slots. I'm guessing their using that 1 hour inbetween to get everyone cleared out for the next group coming in.

You never know..but like I said, if they do then early morning is likely the best bet if your trip is in between those dates

DVC previews are 9-11 on the same days as the AP previews. So Pandora is probably booked up until 8 PM, and soft openings (if any) would have to be later than that.

What time does the parking lot open? I will be attempting tomride both rides standby on 5/28 since I couldn't get a FP. I'm sure it's posted somewhere, but couldn't find via search. Thanks!

What time does the parking lot open? I will be attempting tomride both rides standby on 5/28 since I couldn't get a FP. I'm sure it's posted somewhere, but couldn't find via search. Thanks!

The parking lots technically don't close. You could show up at 2am if you wanted to

No the seats don't move out like Soarin.
Oh, then for some reason I can't see it being intense if it doesn't move
When will you be there? Sorry if you posted a few pages back and I don't recall.

The AP previews are May 13th-22nd. If you're there during that time frame then I'd say your best shot would be being around Pandora prior to noon time when the preview slots start. I'd say there's nearly zero chance they'll let anyone in within the 1 hour break in between slots. I'm guessing their using that 1 hour inbetween to get everyone cleared out for the next group coming in.

You never know..but like I said, if they do then early morning is likely the best bet if your trip is in between those dates
May 17th I believe is the day we have scheduled, I'll ask my family about early arrival and I'll be stalking this page to see if it's opened in the morning any day before

Was Pete part of the media event? I am really interested in what he thinks. I think he's gonna love it.

I'm hoping for softs in between. I have dinner reservations at like 7:30 in Disney springs the day I go to animal kingdom, and even though I had not checked the hours yet I hope they don't soft open after 8 because I'll miss that. We won't know until closer though

Watching the videos, I know you load on a pad but do those seats move out? And even though I think they do they move out into that banshee that was leaked back in february right? Hard to tell from the videos

The AP previews are May 13th-22nd. If you're there during that time frame then I'd say your best shot would be being around Pandora prior to noon time when the preview slots start. I'd say there's nearly zero chance they'll let anyone in within the 1 hour break in between slots. I'm guessing their using that 1 hour in between to get everyone cleared out for the next group coming in.

^ THIS. Pretty sure on these time slots: DVC 9-11 am, AP 12-2 pm, 3-5 pm and 6-8 pm. I agree the the one hour gap is to clear the land and be ready for next group. I just don't see them adding on to the days where previews are set. Maybe the few days between this and official opening other than media day.

I'm sure it is in this thread somewhere...any rumors on ride capacity for each ride?

Looks like less than Soarin'. Either minimally less or substantially less depending on if there are 3 or 4 floors per theater. I've only seen 3 in photos released.

Oh, then for some reason I can't see it being intense if it doesn't move

May 17th I believe is the day we have scheduled, I'll ask my family about early arrival and I'll be stalking this page to see if it's opened in the morning any day before
Oh it moves. There just isn't much to compare it too. Craig from the Dis said more intense than Soarin, less intense than forbidden journey.

This. Some of the best attractions at Disney aren't based on any IP at all....Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Caribbean, Space Mountain, Expedition Everest, etc... and others are based on IP Disney owns. Sort of odd that they felt the need to seek an 'outside IP' to latch on to when they are perfectly capable of creating amazing things on their own. This move sort of ties their fortunes to a movie franchise which hasn't even proven itself to be a franchise. I think they should have just taken the Beastly Kingdom concept and gone with it.

I think Disney has a healthy mix. My favorite ride at DLR is Indiana Jones (well, second fave after DL's POTC). IJA was similar to Avatar - and outside IP.

At WDW RnR is my favorite after EE. RnR is of course based on outside IP.

Tower of Terror? A perfectly themed ride based on outside IP too.

What about Star Tours? Yes, it is Disney IP now but for most of it's life at DHS and DL it was not.

I think Pandora is an excellent move for Disney and right when interest starts to wane Avatar 2 will come out and then Avatar 3-5 and AK will get boosted over and over.

:wizard:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter