***Official November 2013 - Part II*** (that's right....we're that popular!)

My mom doesn't have a lot of interests to tell you the truth. She does love the beach, but she wouldn't be able to walk out on the sand any longer. She uses a walker in the house and when I take her to stores she uses the store's EVC. She no longer has the stamina to go very far and she can barely lift up her legs so stairs are difficult and time consuming. She has stability issues too. In addition she has two fake knees, an old fracture with pins in her ankle that is disintegrating, and two torn rotator cuffs that limit her upper body strength and her ability to raise her arms up.

Self contained would definitely be nice. She doesn't want to do a cruise though which I thought would be great for her limited mobility. I thought about an all inclusive in the Caribbean, but they can run a lot of money, plus as someone pointed out to me, I may not want to take her out of the country because of her health issues (she also has auto-immune hepatitis that flares up).

East Coast, in Northern/central NJ.

I don't know how many people are in your group, but I remember reading that upgrading from the QSP to the regular DP was something like $17-$18 a day per person over 10 years old and maybe $3 and change for someone under 10. If you have a few character meals/buffets it would definitely be worth it, especially if you plan to eat breakfast in your room. Remember when you upgrade you will be getting one TS meal, but losing one of your QS meals so if you are 3 meal a day people you will still have to plan for something OOP. We are doing breakfast in the room except for on our one breakfast ADR.

What about taking your mum to a nice Bed and Breakfast? Some have really nice grounds, pools, local fairs (depending on time of year) and some serve delicious breakfasts/brunch (and even dinner). It could be picturesque, calm, relatively self contained and not a long trip. I'm a big fan of B&Bs.

As for the free dining plan plan, yes, I've placed a garden grocer order to account for one meal a day. That was going to leave 2 Quick Service Meals a day to use. The issue was I still booked 4 character/buffets and 3 table service meals. So, free dining plus $500-700 OOP.

If my math is correct, the upgrade to Regular Dining will total around $300.

The savings will be $200+.

Yes, but now you can play Disney Infinity on the PS3!!! lol I haven't played it very much since I bought to because I've been too busy, but what I have played, I love.

It is currently sitting in my basement, its a Hanukkah present for my DD. Hope she likes it. I hope they come out with my character stories, I was hoping for more "girly" ones.

I am assuming the "Mickey Mail" that includes coupons and plastic luggage tags are only mailed to people with packages. I have a room only reservation (park tickets thru UT). I have received my photopass + package and my MDE tags but no other mail with 13 days to go.

Rejoyceoverdisney I got married on York beach! Am forgetting if it was long or short sands..I think long with the gazebo? Near the nice playground? We took the kids there this summer my daughter loved it :). Nice easy beaches! The ones we sometimes go to in Long Island are so much sand you're exhausted before even getting to the water!

Ugh let me get through this week then I can get to the disney packing!!! Our cat went to rainbow bridge today, was harder than I thought so all that crafting I was going to d went out the window. This week going to finish my daughters Halloween costume, volunteer too much at the school Halloween party (don't ask) and get throu this, then I can relax and enjoy the pre trip stuff. I can't wait....we NEED this trip.

We are going with my mom, I think she will slow things down even with her ECV as well. Bt it will be ok. There are plenty of places to rest she wants to just enjoy the kids enjoying disney she says. Of course I want to get her on some rides ;).

Going to search for something's we nee do line though, does anyone know where to get wide kids sandals cheap? Well less than $40?

I am so sorry about your kitty. :hug:

It is currently sitting in my basement, its a Hanukkah present for my DD. Hope she likes it. I hope they come out with my character stories, I was hoping for more "girly" ones.
Awesome!

I am assuming the "Mickey Mail" that includes coupons and plastic luggage tags are only mailed to people with packages. I have a room only reservation (park tickets thru UT). I have received my photopass + package and my MDE tags but no other mail with 13 days to go.
Yes, we don't get Mickey Mail with our room only reservations.

Since I'm going off Disney topic, I'm going to send you a PM with some information. FYI Not all beaches are sandy type. I know we frequent York ME Long Sands and you can definite bring a wheel chair on that beach.
Check around cause not all beaches are the white hard to walk on beaches.
Some also have wooden platform areas that overlook the sandy part.

Check you PM.

Thanks, I checked it out. I'm going to add it to the list of things to run past my mom.

What about taking your mum to a nice Bed and Breakfast? Some have really nice grounds, pools, local fairs (depending on time of year) and some serve delicious breakfasts/brunch (and even dinner). It could be picturesque, calm, relatively self contained and not a long trip. I'm a big fan of B&Bs.

As for the free dining plan plan, yes, I've placed a garden grocer order to account for one meal a day. That was going to leave 2 Quick Service Meals a day to use. The issue was I still booked 4 character/buffets and 3 table service meals. So, free dining plus $500-700 OOP.

If my math is correct, the upgrade to Regular Dining will total around $300.

The savings will be $200+.

I always considered a B&B more of a romantic getaway, not a place for grandma and 3 kids. Actually the only ones I've been to were age restricted, no little kids allowed. I guess I never realized that any were family places.

Since you are already getting a grocery delivery for one meal at your resort, and you already have your ADRs booked that include Character meals, I think it is a no brainer to upgrade to the DDP.

I've never booked a room only, but I everything in my Mickey mail did have to do with the package portion of my trip, there was nothing in there that I would have gotten with a room only so maybe that is the case. Even the Mickey Luggage tags are listed as a perk of a package on the website.

I feel awful that my mom can't come, but she didn't think she could handle Disney. She has advanced Parkinson's (along with a bunch of other issues). She really can't get going until at least 10am and then she would only have a couple of hours in her before she would need a nap. She also gets stressed highly easily because she hasn't accepted her new reality yet.

We are considering a trip just for her that we do all low key things, but although she would love to see the boys at Disney, she doesn't know if she could handle it. If we do go there, we would want to stay on the Monorail line to make things easier for her (and for us to take her back to the resort to rest). We got reservations at OKW this time (booked only after FD came out so there wasn't a lot left), that is a little sprawling for her even with an EVC. She would be too nervous scooting around the resort. I wish we could afford to take a helper for her, that would be ideal.

I'm lucky that my in-laws are so young. My MIL was 16 when she got married to my FIL (he was 22). She wanted to get out of her house (new step-mother) and he needed a green card - it was a match made in heaven ;) They had my husband when she was 18 and he was 24. She is only 20 years older than me. My FIL is semi-retired, but he can still build a house from scratch and he is absolutely amazing. They leave the Disney planning entirely in my hands. Needless to say, that just makes it harder on my mom who has 15 years on my MIL.

We're all too familiar with Parkinson's Disease in my family. Both my uncle and oldest brother had it before they passed away. Currently one of my cousins (a daughter of that uncle) is living with Parkinson's. Also, one of our friends has Parkinson's and has been unable to drive for several years. With the help of his wife they are still able to live in their house but she keeps her eye out for what their options will be for future living accommodations. My husband picks up this friend twice a month to take him out to breakfast and a visit. He is still able to walk short distances with his canes and does not have the shoulder complications that your mother has. All this to say that I know that your attention and assistance in helping her to maintain as many of her previous interests and social situations is immensely appreciated.

Does your mother use the Internet for Email? If she does, & if you have a smart phone you could send Email photos to her of the kids each day. Also at EPCOT in both Innovations and at the end of the Spaceship Earth ride you can send those silly photos to her.

BTW, I was born in NJ, grew up in PA (right across the Delaware) and moved to MI when I got married at age 19. People here still laugh at the way I pronounce a few words :rotfl2:

Ugh let me get through this week then I can get to the disney packing!!! Our cat went to rainbow bridge today, was harder than I thought so all that crafting I was going to d went out the window. This week going to finish my daughters Halloween costume, volunteer too much at the school Halloween party (don't ask) and get throu this, then I can relax and enjoy the pre trip stuff. I can't wait....we NEED this trip.

We are going with my mom, I think she will slow things down even with her ECV as well. Bt it will be ok. There are plenty of places to rest she wants to just enjoy the kids enjoying disney she says. Of course I want to get her on some rides ;).

Going to search for something's we nee do line though, does anyone know where to get wide kids sandals cheap? Well less than $40?

So sorry about your cat. Xoxo:hug:

Rejoyceoverdisney I got married on York beach! Am forgetting if it was long or short sands..I think long with the gazebo? Near the nice playground? We took the kids there this summer my daughter loved it :). Nice easy beaches! The ones we sometimes go to in Long Island are so much sand you're exhausted before even getting to the water!

Gazebo and play ground was Short sands. There is an arcade, shopping and places to eat. Also is York Wild Kingdom. Nice little zoo.
Sheilby might want to google search that too. The two beach areas are connected with a short ride or bit of a walk.
That is a limited time to go. Off season is kind of extra quiet and cold.
Season is I believe end of June up through Labor day.
Sheilby, if you decide to come North, PM me and I"ll give you more options to look into if those June-Sept months are the months you are considering.

It's not Disney but when you can't get to Disney it's nice. My inlaws own a cottage up in Long Sands area.

Ok I'm gonna dance to 26 1/2 days to go here. :banana:

My nephew asked me to make him a Link hat from Legend of Zelda. He and my DS19 are going into Boston for some video game music concert of some sort. I'm so clueless. Anyway when I asked my DS about the colors of the hat and such, I added "Did you need me to make you one?" and he said "well since you asked, I'd really like one." Love how he is always worried about asking me to do something for him. He so misses that I love these little projects. The material was some I had in my stash and now the pieces are cut out and I just have to get to the sewing machine. I guess that will be tomorrow sometime as I have a church thing to go to shortly.

Distractions distractions. So glad I have them so I stop obsessing.

Yes you only get those tags with a package

I'm the opposite, my boys come to me and say, "mom, we can't get past this part in the game, can you help?" :lmao: I really haven't grown up yet.

I'm an excellent cook and baker if I do say so myself, but a horrible housewife. I am soooo disorganized and I hate cleaning. Well, I don't mind cleaning the bathroom, which is weird I know, but I think it is because there isn't a clutter problem in there, I clean it and it is done. The kitchen I scrub, but then as soon as I start cooking again it is a disaster. Plus I can't reach the top shelves and there isn't enough storage. I am the messiest cook. I can't keep my room clean either, so I feel like a hypocrite when I get on the boys.
^ditto that!

Speaking of food, what are some things you guys are going to eat or try? I think this is my list...

AoA: turf and turf burger

MK: I want one fo those orange bird cups. Do you know the ones? My grandmother brought them for us from WDW when we were kids so jazzed to get one,thgh they are super overpriced and somehow don't contain juice.

Possibly the cake cups
Definitely the grey stuff cupcake at BOG (sense a theme yet?)

Ohana: lapu lupus
That burger looks awesome, those cups make me so nostalgic <3, I am torn between strawberry or grey stuff cupcakes and am unsure about the lapu lapu. It sounds kind of amazing but I do not drink often so one drink makes me feel it, that looks a little big....

Does anyone bring their own towels for the waterparks, or just use the resorts towels? We have room in the car, but I don't want to pack if not neccessary. I was concerned they wouldn't let us take resort towels, and that when we get back and want to shower we wouldn't have towels to use. Any advice is appreciated!
We will bring towels, I asked DH and he prefers having a bigger towel for the water parks.

Ugh let me get through this week then I can get to the disney packing!!! Our cat went to rainbow bridge today, was harder than I thought
I'm sorry :(

My nephew asked me to make him a Link hat from Legend of Zelda. He and my DS19 are going into Boston for some video game music concert of some sort. I'm so clueless. Anyway when I asked my DS about the colors of the hat and such, I added "Did you need me to make you one?" and he said "well since you asked, I'd really like one." Love how he is always worried about asking me to do something for him. He so misses that I love these little projects. The material was some I had in my stash and now the pieces are cut out and I just have to get to the sewing machine. I guess that will be tomorrow sometime as I have a church thing to go to shortly.
I have no idea what that is but it sounds pretty awesome.

We're all too familiar with Parkinson's Disease in my family. Both my uncle and oldest brother had it before they passed away. Currently one of my cousins (a daughter of that uncle) is living with Parkinson's. Also, one of our friends has Parkinson's and has been unable to drive for several years. With the help of his wife they are still able to live in their house but she keeps her eye out for what their options will be for future living accommodations. My husband picks up this friend twice a month to take him out to breakfast and a visit. He is still able to walk short distances with his canes and does not have the shoulder complications that your mother has. All this to say that I know that your attention and assistance in helping her to maintain as many of her previous interests and social situations is immensely appreciated.

I feel awful that my mom can't come, but she didn't think she could handle Disney. She has advanced Parkinson's (along with a bunch of other issues). She really can't get going until at least 10am and then she would only have a couple of hours in her before she would need a nap. She also gets stressed highly easily because she hasn't accepted her new reality yet.

Unfortunately I am very familiar with Parkinson's. I was diagnosed with young onset parkinson's a little over a year ago. I am hoping that I will be able to get around like I normally do. But I have a fear I am going to have problems this trip.

Ugh let me get through this week then I can get to the disney packing!!! Our cat went to rainbow bridge today, was harder than I thought so all that crafting I was going to d went out the window.

I am so sorry about your cat.

Unfortunately I am very familiar with Parkinson's. I was diagnosed with young onset parkinson's a little over a year ago. I am hoping that I will be able to get around like I normally do. But I have a fear I am going to have problems this trip.

I will pray for the very best for you. Will you be going on a solo trip or traveling with someone? My cousin has been able to make 2 overseas trips in the last few years thanks to one of her sisters accompanying her. But I do believe the trip to the Netherlands to see the tulips in bloom this year was the last distant one she'll be able to manage.

Thanks for the condolences.

We had a picture taken on the Ferris wheel at York animal kingdom :). We hadn't been back in 7 years I don't remember, but now I know it was short sands :). I have gone to both though. Love York. My family is in Portland, Falmouth and Yarmouth.

I had no luck today looking for kids sandals, she might have to wear sneakers in Miami. She will wear them at the world for comfort but was hoping to find something for e other part of our trip. Oh well! I didn't find shoes either which is a bigger issue.

I will probably post this on a main page but will ask here first...does anyone know if the cards they give it as starters for the sorcerers of the magic kingdom game are the same? I have two packets we had last year but we never ended up playing....If we have time and want to try it should we get new cards or use those?

Onebadapple, I am sorry to hear ant your diagnosis. It's really hard being effected by health problems ata. Young age, hope you manage better than you think and have a wonderful time!

My mom doesn't have a lot of interests to tell you the truth. She does love the beach, but she wouldn't be able to walk out on the sand any longer. She uses a walker in the house and when I take her to stores she uses the store's EVC. She no longer has the stamina to go very far and she can barely lift up her legs so stairs are difficult and time consuming. She has stability issues too. In addition she has two fake knees, an old fracture with pins in her ankle that is disintegrating, and two torn rotator cuffs that limit her upper body strength and her ability to raise her arms up.

Self contained would definitely be nice. She doesn't want to do a cruise though which I thought would be great for her limited mobility. I thought about an all inclusive in the Caribbean, but they can run a lot of money, plus as someone pointed out to me, I may not want to take her out of the country because of her health issues (she also has auto-immune hepatitis that flares up).

East Coast, in Northern/central NJ.

I don't know how many people are in your group, but I remember reading that upgrading from the QSP to the regular DP was something like $17-$18 a day per person over 10 years old and maybe $3 and change for someone under 10. If you have a few character meals/buffets it would definitely be worth it, especially if you plan to eat breakfast in your room. Remember when you upgrade you will be getting one TS meal, but losing one of your QS meals so if you are 3 meal a day people you will still have to plan for something OOP. We are doing breakfast in the room except for on our one breakfast ADR.

You might want to look into but I think I saw special wheelchairs that go in the sand that you can rent in myrtle beach.

I will pray for the very best for you. Will you be going on a solo trip or traveling with someone? My cousin has been able to make 2 overseas trips in the last few years thanks to one of her sisters accompanying her. But I do believe the trip to the Netherlands to see the tulips in bloom this year was the last distant one she'll be able to manage.

Onebadapple, I am sorry to hear ant your diagnosis. It's really hard being effected by health problems ata. Young age, hope you manage better than you think and have a wonderful time!

Thanks for the well wishes. I am going with my family, my parents and my sister's family for a total of 10 of us.

Dining question:

We are signed up for Free Dining (Quick/Counter Service) for our week.
Can we upgrade this (for an additional fee of course)?
Am I making sense? It's just we have one ADR a day (a couple days two) and I'm just wondering if/how to make our trip more affordable.

You can upgrade for a fee. But as far as "being worth it" thats a family choice. We always feel its worth it . We do 2-3 sit downs a day, and about 4 signatures. The finances are not that great of a difference, but the fact i do not have to look at prices and can always have an app and dessert without thinking is worth its weight in gold.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter