***** Official * July 2017 * thread! *****

4 months to go everyone.....I'm getting excited! :)

Here's a question....

My kids desperately need new swimsuits. What's on your absolutely, must buy list for your trip?

So we had to do a little change and our dates got moved up a week. We are now booked for July 14-22, 2017 at POR! My dream resort is the Poly, but for the price of Poly I can stay at POR, buy tickets for the family, and fly down, so POR it is. Now I just have to get excited about this! I know we will love the resort, but I have never stayed there so not sure what to expect!

Here's a question....
My kids desperately need new swimsuits. What's on your absolutely, must buy list for your trip?

My list (so far!):
  • New pair of Sketchers or other good slip-on walking shoes
  • Better sunglasses
  • 1-piece swimsuits for my girls (best for the waterslides)
And, while this isn't an "absolutely, must buy" thing, but I really want to create custom T-shirts for my family. We did DIY mickey-head tie-dye shirts one year and they were fabulous! But I think this time I'll hire someone else to make them, as I'm looking for something a little more professionally done. I've heard to look on Etsy, but I've actually had mixed success with previous (non-Disney) Etsy transactions. Anyone out there have specific recommendations or suggestions?

Here's a question....

Oh Wow 4 months from today for us better get our plans buttoned up a little tighter!

Looking to replace my New Balance running shoes. I switch shoes at some point during the day and depending on what park.

So we had to do a little change and our dates got moved up a week. We are now booked for July 14-22, 2017 at POR! My dream resort is the Poly, but for the price of Poly I can stay at POR, buy tickets for the family, and fly down, so POR it is. Now I just have to get excited about this! I know we will love the resort, but I have never stayed there so not sure what to expect!

I really like POR. It's a great resort! I'm sure you'll really enjoy it. :) Especially if it will save you a ton of money!

And the boat to DS is going to be great if you have plans to include that.

Here's a question....

Swimsuits for all of us, but we need them for our Spring Break trip to Arizona, so just went shopping! :teeth:
I am trying to find myself some comfy walking flip flops. I am afraid tennis shoes will over heat my feet. Going to try some Nike ones on tomorrow.

I picked POR for our last days because my kids want to go to DS and it's an easy drive or boat ride away. We stayed at PORFQ last January and loved it there, so hoping we like POR too. :goodvibes

Thanks everyone for your confidence! I know we will love it, just need to do a little more research and watch some youtube videos of POR now! I decided to start a Pre-Trip report for this trip if anyone is interested in following along with the already crazy trip!

My list (so far!):
  • New pair of Sketchers or other good slip-on walking shoes
  • Better sunglasses
  • 1-piece swimsuits for my girls (best for the waterslides)

Yes, I definitely need new running shoes and better sunglasses too!

Looking to replace my New Balance running shoes. I switch shoes at some point during the day and depending on what park.

I switch my shoes everyday. I could never wear the same pair of shoes two days in a row at DW no matter how comfortable they are.

Swimsuits for all of us, but we need them for our Spring Break trip to Arizona, so just went shopping! :teeth:
I am trying to find myself some comfy walking flip flops. I am afraid tennis shoes will over heat my feet. Going to try some Nike ones on tomorrow.

Comfy walking flip flops are a must! I need to dig out my sandals. I probably need new ones.

Bought my shoes last night not sure they were the best choice but couldn't help myself. I got the Beauty and the Beast gold and white New Balance shoes.

ETA-got the email back they are sold out, back to the hunt.

Last edited:
If anyone is looking for supportive flip flops, I always were Olukai Ohana ones - they have a bit of an arch support in them and I find I can wear them all day in the parks - they're a bit pricey but they last and are wonderful :-) Just thought I'd share.

If anyone is looking for supportive flip flops, I always were Olukai Ohana ones - they have a bit of an arch support in them and I find I can wear them all day in the parks - they're a bit pricey but they last and are wonderful :-) Just thought I'd share.

Where can you find these? Besides walking in the parks I wear them all the time in the summer and with travel ball, little league and coach pitch games I know that I am going to be waking a lot!

Where can you find these? Besides walking in the parks I wear them all the time in the summer and with travel ball, little league and coach pitch games I know that I am going to be waking a lot!
Zappos has them.

I tried on a few flip flops yesterday, went with the Skechers On The Go with Goga mat technology. They are super comfy, kind of a tennis shoe sole, and I think no slip if wet, because they kind of grip my feet. I'll test them in the months before we leave, to be sure I am happy. I have never worn anything but tennis shoes at Disney, but this is our first trip in mid summer with my heat issues, so better to have options.

As for stalking, :wave:I check multiple times a day for ROL dining. I am also checking for Star Wars dessert party, but I know those don't open until later, and I might consider Illuminations dessert party too...maybe...My kids have never seen Illuminations, I have only once, but I've read rumors it may change, so thought we should catch it this trip if we are up for it. Desserts always interest us! :goodvibes
Speaking of, I am also keeping my options open incase they offer a dessert party for ROL.

So, what is everyone's' plans for AK and the new rides?

My plan is to fp the two new rides for late morning plus fp ROL. Then I will rope drop and hit the Safari and Everest. I want to avoid the new land at rope drop cause I figure everyone will be heading there.

If the rides end up tiered, well, there goes my plan! :rotfl:

My AK plan is actually 3 seperate days - we are doing one afternoon/evening, one regular RD morning and one EMH morning - the one day we will do Sanaa lunch before we head over around 2pm - the mornings we will stay until about 1pm before heading out. I fully expect the tiering so that way we can FP the safari and 2 new pandora rides without worry. We already have RoL dining plan for our evening plans. Our morning plans will most likely involve the safari, meeting Mickey and Minnie (DD6 loves that), EE for DH - I'm not sure how big Pandora will be so I'm not sure how much time to allocate just walking around and absorbing it (we really like to do that in each park - just walk around and look around). I'm glad that there will be about a month to read about it before we actually leave!

Our plans definitely hinge on whether or not AK will become tiered once they open Pandora. And then, if they tier it, HOW they tier it (which rides are in Tiers 1 & 2). We are hoping to "save" on FP+ by booking a RoL dining package and riding Everest as single riders, and none of us care for Dinosaur, so that will help. We also have 2 days where we plan to go in for early magic hours. I'm glad we will have some time between when Pandora opens and when our trip happens, so that we can read reports and adjust accordingly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter