• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Official inaugural Tower of Terror 10 miler thread. September 29, 2012

Seriously! We got some rain this weekend that brought in a "cool" front...sort of...our temps are still in the mid-90's but the humidity dropped and I thought it was Fall on my run yesterday! It was such a nice break...I was able to up my running intervals and I even finished a little over 1 minute faster than the same distance last week. Humidity really is a pace-killer...I am so looking forward to Fall and whatever passes for "Winter" here in Texas!

Ditto for us up here in DFW! We both went running last night in the "cool" last night and it was great! Our temps were actually in the low 80s around 7 last night which we hadn't seen in months. I was able to cut nearly a minute off of my mile time compared to Sunday!

We'll be glad for the fall and pseudo-winter temps too once they finally show up! :thumbsup2

Ditto for us up here in DFW! We both went running last night in the "cool" last night and it was great! Our temps were actually in the low 80s around 7 last night which we hadn't seen in months. I was able to cut nearly a minute off of my mile time compared to Sunday!

We'll be glad for the fall and pseudo-winter temps too once they finally show up! :thumbsup2

It'll be glorious!

Hey, since you're in the DFW area...have you heard of the Tour de Fleurs 10k & 20k? Know anything about it? The BF and I were thinking about coming up to do it a couple of weeks before the ToT...since we're taking ToT slow for fun and pics, he wanted to try to find a half to do before ToT, but more for time. He's so strange ;) Anyway, that 10k was the closest we could find to a half distance for him that wasn't too far away. If we do it, I'll just do the 10k nice and easy for more of a training run while he busts his booty on the 20k. And now that I'm thinking more about it...I guess I better make sure it hasn't sold out yet...that would put a kink in his plans! :rolleyes2

Yeah, we actually have a couple of friends that are running in the 20k as well. I know that it runs the same course as the former White Rock Marathon used to - just not quite as far obviously. We've done some training runs over next to the lake and it's a pretty nice trail. The races over there are usually pretty well run too.

I'm actually going to be running the Dallas half this December and was disapointed to find out that they had changed the half course away from White Rock Lake and made it more in the downtown Dallas area. :confused3

Good luck if you guys decide to come up and run it!

AAA, I'm seeing all the posts about getting Mickey Mail and I'm wondering where ours is, then I remembered I didn't sign us up for DME yet! Off to the site yet one more time today!

DH and I have finally planned our race outfits. We are DISigning an iron on for our tech shirts and that will be it. Can't wait!

I just booked a F&WF mixology event for Friday evening and I booked my DSs 1st haircut at Harmony Barber Shop. Thinking about requesting a custom cake for our 1st night but not sure yet. I think I need to stop spending money!

Weather has been fantastic up in Western NY here for a few weeks now and I hope it stays the same! Last night did 10 1/4 mile repeats at 1:45 pace, felt really good. Supposed to be a bit hotter the next few days, but that's alright. I can't believe we are only 35 days out at this point. I am still trying to decide where I want to go for a post race meal on Sunday! I always treat myself to a nice meal after a race. I usually go to like Artist Point and get the Buffalo Steak (so delicious) but I think I want to try something a little different this time. Any suggestions?

Weather has been fantastic up in Western NY here for a few weeks now and I hope it stays the same! Last night did 10 1/4 mile repeats at 1:45 pace, felt really good. Supposed to be a bit hotter the next few days, but that's alright. I can't believe we are only 35 days out at this point. I am still trying to decide where I want to go for a post race meal on Sunday! I always treat myself to a nice meal after a race. I usually go to like Artist Point and get the Buffalo Steak (so delicious) but I think I want to try something a little different this time. Any suggestions?

I am in WNY too! Maybe we will cross paths :wave2:

Artist Point sounds delish! After the Princess 1/2 we went to Liberty Tree Tavern. All during our training we kept saying we were running towards the turkey!

Hi:goodvibes

The 10 mile will my first distance run. Any advice on what to do on race day? We will do a couple of hours at HS and then will be relaxing at the resort. Do I ice my legs? Sit in the hot tub? Obviously-not a pro runner, here!:laughing:

We've got lunch reservations at Epcot at noon and then we are planning to be back at the resort that afternoon to relax by the pool/nap in the room. Then we may grab something light at the Food Court before getting race geared up and hopping in a cab (not staying at a host resort).

The 10 mile will my first distance run. Any advice on what to do on race day? We will do a couple of hours at HS and then will be relaxing at the resort. Do I ice my legs? Sit in the hot tub? Obviously-not a pro runner, here!:laughing:

If you have done any training runs in the past at night, don't change from your routine, it is like any other run, just lots of other people will be doing it with you and there is more energy then. If not, I suggest doing a couple training runs at that time of night and learn what works best for you during the day of the race. Anyone can give you advice, but it changes from person to person and not everyone is the same. That is the best advice I can give. Personally, I will go to the expo, eat lunch at normal time, have a nice dinner at normal time around 5:30 and then relax or do what I feel is fun at the time, I'm not going to lock myself in a room to save my energy, but know not to tire yourself out though.

we don't plan any park time the day of for a night race...I know once I go through the gates, It'll be hard for me to leave and not wear myself out :) We'll go to the expo/packet pick up in the AM, lunch reservation at the Wave, then probably go hang by the pool at the hotel and relax...maybe try to catch a nap because I am not a late-night person, eat a light early-ish dinner and then get ready to go. I'm a peanut butter/bagel girl for pre race fuel, so we normally take that with us to the staging area and will eat that while we hang out and stretch before the race. Just do what you normally do for your training...just time adjusted for the night race. try to eat the same types of food that day that you know work for you on a training run day and don't do any more activity that you normally would the day before (or of) a long training run. Keep it simple and consistent with what you are already used to.

So today I ran 9 miles in 2 hours and 8 minutes... my longest run ever. I started getting some ankle pain that shot up in my calf in the first 45 mins of my run. It was a shooting pain and then my calf was rock hard until it loosened up. Then it was fine for the rest of my run. I have never had it before so i'm concerned. Any ideas what I could be?

I'm thinking about getting some calf compression sleeves to see if that may help. Does anyone have a brand they would recommend?

I am getting so nervous. I haven't been training very much. I started a new job and I've been busy with that (no excuses, I know!)
I'm praying that I finish...

lthiesfeld07 said:
I am getting so nervous. I haven't been training very much. I started a new job and I've been busy with that (no excuses, I know!)
I'm praying that I finish...

Have you thought about using Galloway? It's only three runs a week- two 45-minutes and a long run- all using the walk/run method. I'm using it for the marathon to make sure I finish!

I just did 10.5 miles in 1:30. The sun slowed me down and held me back a little but i dont care for time on this race cause of my outfit holding me back and enjoy photo ops.

DisneyRunnerChick said:
Have you thought about using Galloway? It's only three runs a week- two 45-minutes and a long run- all using the walk/run method. I'm using it for the marathon to make sure I finish!

I started this method in May and it went well for me. I need the motivation to just go for a run everyday. Unfortunately, I don't have anyone to accompany me. Thats one way to motivate me!

I went on a nice run this morning...the longest one in weeks! Did nearly 7 miles in about an hour! Felt great! Legs might be a little tired tomorrow, though! That's what I get for taking a vacation a month and a half before the race, I guess. I'll be able to go again mid-week, and might do an 8-miler :banana:!

Yay, finally got ME envelope in the mail today!!!!! Always such a fun thing to find amongst the junk in there :)

In case anyone is interested in coming together w/ other Dissers in their pace group, I started a new thread called "What's your pace group for the TOT 2012?" just to post your expected pace for the TOT 2012 (or you can PM me & I'll add it to the page 1 list w/ your name or DisName).

It might be nice for moral, mental, support etc! during the run and who knows, maybe a meet as well! For future Dis Runs it would be nice to see familar faces!:grouphug:

Tomorrow I run a hilly 14k... been careful w. water intake & what I eat, but I seem to have just sprained a finger (doing calf exercises! Slipped & slammed fingers on counter! Running is hazardous lol!), so I'm headed to bed w a nsaid, a bottle of water, cup of tea, and a bag of chocolate chips to comfort me!
- I'll go to doctor after the run tomorrow!

Ugh I am SO IMPATIENT!!! I just want my waiver!!! I want to know my bib number!! And most importantly, I want to know my corral!!!

The suspense is absolutely killing me!! :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter