Official Dopey 2017 Thread

New Balance releases runDisney shoes every year. This years shoes are based on attractions. Space Mountain, Haunted Mansion, Mad Tea Party, and Toy Story Mania.

There are character before, during, and after races.

Not sure what you mean by doing all the challenges in one year. If you do a challenge you get an extra medal.

I am happy to know that about shoes!! what are the prices usually? i am guessing people buy and sell them for a profit too. Are the characters the same or do they change between the before, during, and after races? Yea thats basically the answer to my question about challenges. However if you do all the races, even the ones that arent in the challenge, do you get something else?

PS you are awesome.

I have quiet a few questions about runDisney. I heard that participants have access to purchase limited edition shoes? there are characters on the track that only come out for races that you can take pictures with? can you take pictures with them after the race or are some of them only during the race?? Is there something special that you get for doing all the challenges in one year??
this is my second post, so sorry if i broke a rule. please let me know.

I'm having a little trouble dissecting exactly what info you are looking for but I'll give it my best.

-I have nothing to add in the shoe question
-There are characters out before the race in the staging area, during the race on the course, and after the race in the finish area. Some of the characters are relatively rare and do not appear in the parks that often (in my experience). The characters vary from year to year and race weekend to race weekend, so there's not a set schedule. The cast members are also not guaranteed to be out; I have passed several character locations while the cast members were on break.
-If you pass them on the course they are unlikely to be in the finish area to take a picture and they are not there all day. Most are specifically out for the race. They are there to take pictures. Most have CMs with them to take pictures with your phone/camera as well as a photopass cameraperson.
-There are several special medals you can get for running challenges at multiple locations (I.e. Coast to coast for running a race at WDW and one at DL), but no medal for running all challenges

Hope that helps.

I am happy to know that about shoes!! what are the prices usually? i am guessing people buy and sell them for a profit too. Are the characters the same or do they change between the before, during, and after races? Yea thats basically the answer to my question about challenges. However if you do all the races, even the ones that arent in the challenge, do you get something else?

PS you are awesome.
Prices vary from like $140-180. They sell older pairs at the new balance outlets for like $60

Characters are different during the races than before and after. Usually they are the same in the before and after race areas, at least for marathon weekend.

If you do something like Dopey you get 6 medals. One for each of the 4 races, plus one or goofy and dopey. You don't get an extra medal for running all the races in a calendar year though if thats what you are asking.

Prices vary from like $140-180. They sell older pairs at the new balance outlets for like $60

Characters are different during the races than before and after. Usually they are the same in the before and after race areas, at least for marathon weekend.

If you do something like Dopey you get 6 medals. One for each of the 4 races, plus one or goofy and dopey. You don't get an extra medal for running all the races in a calendar year though if thats what you are asking.

I'm having a little trouble dissecting exactly what info you are looking for but I'll give it my best.

-I have nothing to add in the shoe question
-There are characters out before the race in the staging area, during the race on the course, and after the race in the finish area. Some of the characters are relatively rare and do not appear in the parks that often (in my experience). The characters vary from year to year and race weekend to race weekend, so there's not a set schedule. The cast members are also not guaranteed to be out; I have passed several character locations while the cast members were on break.
-If you pass them on the course they are unlikely to be in the finish area to take a picture and they are not there all day. Most are specifically out for the race. They are there to take pictures. Most have CMs with them to take pictures with your phone/camera as well as a photopass cameraperson.
-There are several special medals you can get for running challenges at multiple locations (I.e. Coast to coast for running a race at WDW and one at DL), but no medal for running all challenges

thank you for all the info.

Hi everyone.
I just want to take a minute to introduce myself. I'm a little late joining this group considering that the Dopey Challenge is only 44 days away. I signed up with a friend who is now injured and unable to run. The thought of training, traveling, and running this challenge alone is a little daunting. I was glad to find this group and read all the posts.

Hi everyone.
I just want to take a minute to introduce myself. I'm a little late joining this group considering that the Dopey Challenge is only 44 days away. I signed up with a friend who is now injured and unable to run. The thought of training, traveling, and running this challenge alone is a little daunting. I was glad to find this group and read all the posts.

Welcome. We're all friends here so you don't have to worry about running alone. Also, I believe @DopeyBadger is planning on putting together a list of runners for each race with corral placement and expected pace. You're almost certain to find someone you could buddy up with during the races.

Welcome. We're all friends here so you don't have to worry about running alone. Also, I believe @DopeyBadger is planning on putting together a list of runners for each race with corral placement and expected pace. You're almost certain to find someone you could buddy up with during the races.
Great! Thanks for the reply.

Hi everyone.

:welcome:

We should be able to put that list together soon, maybe 14-21 days, dependent on corral release. Check out the Marathon 2017 thread as well as the Running Thread for lots of great information and wonderful people!

So discouraged right now... Been fighting plantar fasciitis the last 2 months and it sucks.. Been doing what I can to keep cardio and legs in shape, so lots of stationary bike etc etc.. Just this week it's started to seem to be less painful.. So I guess I'm on the right path for keeping it from getting worse, but I am not at all confident about the Dopey this year.. I've told myself to do what I can, but for goodness sake, dont hurt myself because of it. Or I guess I should say, hurt something else... :/ Still looking forward, but not as excited as I was my first dopey.. :(

Had PF a few marathons ago, unfortunately it stuck around until after the race and mileage dropped significantly.

Hope you get through this.

So discouraged right now... Been fighting plantar fasciitis the last 2 months and it sucks.. Been doing what I can to keep cardio and legs in shape, so lots of stationary bike etc etc.. Just this week it's started to seem to be less painful.. So I guess I'm on the right path for keeping it from getting worse, but I am not at all confident about the Dopey this year.. I've told myself to do what I can, but for goodness sake, dont hurt myself because of it. Or I guess I should say, hurt something else... :/ Still looking forward, but not as excited as I was my first dopey.. :(

Have you considered asking your doctor for a cortisone shot? I had a case of pf years ago that wouldn't respond to the "rest, ice, stretch" regimen of treatment. The podiatrist finally put cortisone in and I was completely fine after ~2 days and have never had a recurrence. I know they don't like to jump right into cortisone but if it's been 2 months maybe they'll be willing to go that route with your races looming.

Have you considered asking your doctor for a cortisone shot? I had a case of pf years ago that wouldn't respond to the "rest, ice, stretch" regimen of treatment. The podiatrist finally put cortisone in and I was completely fine after ~2 days and have never had a recurrence. I know they don't like to jump right into cortisone but if it's been 2 months maybe they'll be willing to go that route with your races looming.

I will look into that!! I had read about that. Guess I'm that stubborn male stereotype when it comes to Dr's :)

Okay, Dopes... It's December. I've got two more looong runs (at the end of 4-day Dopey 'simulations'. meh.), and then the taper. It finally feels like the home stretch...

So, question for the veterans (one of maybe many before we're through): I'm curious about how y'all go about reloading between each race. 5k to 10k is little more than a couple days in the parks, really, but adding up the entire thing, especially between the half and the full, is new territory. I've done other rD challenges (10k/13.1) and haven't given it much thought. This time around will, of course, be different. Thanks in advance!

For @dburg30, and anyone else dealing with or worried about injuries, good healing vibes to everyone, and let's all get through this thing!

(Also, @dburg30, are you working on getting flexibility in your calves and hamstrings? That helped my PF last year. With a month+ to go, you can still do quite a bit and be conservative about it.)

I have a more involved breakdown over on my PTR about Race Weekend plans, but Saturday is the key day for me in my experience.

We're doing a carb-heavy brunch at Captain's Grille, and then we have FP+s at Animal Kingdom for Everest and Safari. After that, it's back to Beach Club for an afternoon laying around the pool. No booze after Noon. Protein-heavy dinner at Brown Derby at 6 and then back to the hotel to watch a movie and fall asleep around 8-8:30.

My mileage from this year:
5K - 5.91 miles
10K - 12.18 miles
Half - 17.94 miles
Marathon - 44.9 miles (OOOF)

I agree with the previous poster, and can come from experience having done three dopeys. Though its important not to kill yourself after the 5k and 10k (not a good time to be doing commando park touring basically) we usually go to the parks atleast for a few hours after both races. The half is another story, its important not to sit on your but and do nothing (otherwise you get tight muscles) but you want to definitely relax. We usually get breakfast somewhere, take a nap, get up and around a little bit (we have gone to DD before), and I usually spend some quality time in the hot tub, you will definitely not be alone! Key point for those doing Dopey, TAPER! You will not gain anything in the last week, or two, in the last week there is no such thing as too little running and definitely too much running. Second, be cautious if you are not 100% sure that you can run the entire thing. Some can PR on some Dopey races, but I have always treated it as a "just finish" kind of thing. There are other races to PR on.

Jennifer

I'm curious about how y'all go about reloading between each race. 5k to 10k is little more than a couple days in the parks, really, but adding up the entire thing, especially between the half and the full, is new territory. I've done other rD challenges (10k/13.1) and haven't given it much thought. This time around will, of course, be different. Thanks in advance!

As of today, I will be going for the sextuple PR attempt (PR at all 6 distances). In 2014 (the first year), I got 5/6 (missed on HM) PRs. In 2015, I got 4/6 (missed on 5k and M) PRs. In 2016, I got 4/6 (missed on HM and M) PRs. Plans can change up until moment of race starting but that's the plan. With that said my strategy after every race.

5k - Chocolate milk and peanut butter oatmeal banana protein bar. Wear zenzah calf sleeves. Drink lots of water. Be at EPCOT at 9am. Eat lunch at AKL room. Go back to EPCOT. Eat dinner at AKL room. Bed at 6:30pm
10k - Chocolate milk and peanut butter oatmeal banana protein bar. Wear zenzah calf sleeves. Drink lots of water. Kids race OR MK in morning. Eat lunch at AKL room. Go back to MK. Eat dinner at AKL room. Bed at 6:30pm
HM - Chocolate milk and peanut butter oatmeal banana protein bar. Begin carb-loading liquid procedure using E-Fuel. Consume roughly 750 g carbs with 600 g in liquid form over the course of the entire day. Wear zenzah calf sleeves. Drink lots of water. Kids race or MK in morning. Eat lunch at AKL room. Go back to MK. Eat dinner at AKL room. Bed at 6:30pm
M - Celebrate. Chocolate milk and peanut butter oatmeal banana protein bar. Celebrate. Wear zenzah calf sleeves. Celebrate. Drink lots of water. Celebrate. Lunch at AKL room. DHS for evening. Celebrate.

My wife's rule (and I've said it before) is that I participate in 95% of all events on vacation. My running can not be an excuse to not participate in any family related activities on the family vacation. The only concession is dinner around 5pm and I could go to bed around 6:30pm. So, its the expectation that if everyone is going 100% effort during the day at the parks, that I do it too. It can be tiring, but I practice during training best I can by not relaxing at home after a long run. For instance, tomorrow morning is the following. Wake up at 4am. Run 17 miles starting at 6am. Finish around 8:30am. Go see Santa and christmas things from 10am-2pm. Go grocery shopping. Put my daughter down for a nap. Do laundry, dishes, etc. Watch Wisconsin in Big Ten Champ Football game at 7pm. Go to bed and start all over again. Simulate Dopey by doing it in training as best I can.

Marathon - 44.9 miles (OOOF)
What on earth do you do after the marathon to cover 44.9 miles in one day, take out the 26 and few extra miles for pre/post race, that's still over 16miles of park touring for a half day?woah

So, question for the veterans (one of maybe many before we're through): I'm curious about how y'all go about reloading between each race. 5k to 10k is little more than a couple days in the parks, really, but adding up the entire thing, especially between the half and the full, is new territory. I've done other rD challenges (10k/13.1) and haven't given it much thought. This time around will, of course, be different. Thanks in advance!
We, similar to DopeyBadger's plan, had chocolate milk & a protein bar right after the 5k, 10k, & half. In the parks we carried water and powerade so we kept drinking. Also we bring orange juices as that has potassium since I don't eat bananas so that was a constant refueling item too. For wine & dine we were a little smarter and had extra snacks in our bags for the parks, protein bars, apple sauce, stuff like that as sometimes disney meals are lacking on fruit/protein for me as a vegetarian at least, so leading up to and after the 5k & 10k days we never let ourselves feel empty, which I think helped a lot with pre fueling which I think I lacked a little at Dopey this year. So for us it's now bringing lots of stuff from home that I know works to keep us fueled between races.

Last edited:
What on earth do you do after the marathon to cover 44.9 miles in one day, take out the 26 and few extra miles for pre/post race, that's still over 16miles of park touring for a half day?woah

We DATW and did an Illuminations cruise. I think my Garmin picked up the boat movement because 44 seems high when my iPhone had me at 39.9 miles for the day. But either way ...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter