Official Disneyland Crime Stats - LA Times 1/9/2017

Darkbeer1

Theme Park Reporter and TV producer
Interesting new article talking about the actual crime statistics at the Resort...

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-theme-park-crime-20170109-story.html

>>The analysis found that crime rates at Southern California theme parks are dramatically lower than in their surrounding cities.

At the Disneyland Resort — composed of Disneyland, Disney California Adventure, the Downtown Disney shopping district and three hotels — the rate of violent crime was about one crime (1.41 to be exact) for every 1 million visitors in 2015. That figure is a tiny fraction of the crime rate in the city of Anaheim, according to FBI crime statistics. <<

All hotels and tourist attractions have an interest in keeping these rates low. Many will pressure or mislead guests into handling incidents, especially property crimes like theft and vandalism with their internal security. Crimes that go unreported stay out of the statistics. On travel professional boards there are occasionally stories of people who have items stolen in hotels, like bags taken off luggage carts in the lobby, where they thought they were filing a report with police but it really the hotel's security, and then when they go to make an insurance claim, no police report exists.

All hotels and tourist attractions have an interest in keeping these rates low. Many will pressure or mislead guests into handling incidents, especially property crimes like theft and vandalism with their internal security. Crimes that go unreported stay out of the statistics. On travel professional boards there are occasionally stories of people who have items stolen in hotels, like bags taken off luggage carts in the lobby, where they thought they were filing a report with police but it really the hotel's security, and then when they go to make an insurance claim, no police report exists.

I think the report refers only to violent crime. I'm sure the numbers would be higher if they included 'property crimes' like pickpocketing, pilfering, theft, and the like.

I must say that I feel extremely safe 'in the bubble'. I'm not going to be foolish, but I certainly don't feel like I need the same level of vigilance I'd have if I was walking around in a major urban area.

No,
I think the report refers only to violent crime. I'm sure the numbers would be higher if they included 'property crimes' like pickpocketing, pilfering, theft, and the like.

I must say that I feel extremely safe 'in the bubble'. I'm not going to be foolish, but I certainly don't feel like I need the same level of vigilance I'd have if I was walking around in a major urban area.

>>But even the likelihood of being a victim of a property crime, such as purse snatching or theft from a car at the parks, is a fraction of the rate in the surrounding cities.

In 2015, the Disneyland Resort had a rate of 10.3 property crimes for every 1 million visitors while Anaheim’s crime rate was higher by a factor of 2,000.<<

No, the article specifically talks about Theft, Pickpocketing, etc. But as SMD mentioned, these are the only ones officially reported to the police. Just because you reported it to Disneyland Security does not make it in the reports. And why you should always make sure you get a true police report if something like this happens, even if it is done just online or over the phone.

No,

>>But even the likelihood of being a victim of a property crime, such as purse snatching or theft from a car at the parks, is a fraction of the rate in the surrounding cities.

In 2015, the Disneyland Resort had a rate of 10.3 property crimes for every 1 million visitors while Anaheim’s crime rate was higher by a factor of 2,000.<<

No, the article specifically talks about Theft, Pickpocketing, etc. But as SMD mentioned, these are the only ones officially reported to the police. Just because you reported it to Disneyland Security does not make it in the reports. And why you should always make sure you get a true police report if something like this happens, even if it is done just online or over the phone.

If someone isn't reporting it to the actual police then that is on them. If any security guard including Disney's is making it sound like they are the police then they are breaking some pretty hefty laws. Consumers should know and exercise their rights and that includes notifying the actual police if they are the victim of a crime.

Interestingly enough, when we were there on the 29th, there had been some type of 'incident' on the Esplanade. No idea what it was but both Disney security and Anaheim PD were there. And plenty of CMs forming a loose ring around the various LEOs and what I guess were the people involved.

I wonder what Disney's policy is on calling the APD in the event of crimes or incidents. How bad does it have to get before a call is automatic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter