OFFICIAL Disney Cake Chatter Thread - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi!! I tried searching the boards, and looked through some of this thread, but couldn't find any mention of cake at HDDR.

Is it possible to do cake or anything else special for a birthday at HDDR? We'll be there for dinner on our first night... it is our honeymoon and my fiance's birthday is the week of our wedding and is bound to get a little buried in all the prep and excitement...so I'd like to do something special for him at WDW, and the first night would be ideal.

If not, I could always have one waiting in our room at WL when we get back, I suppose.

Thanks!

Does anyone have any photo ideas of an Alice mini cake? I've only seen Mad Hatter style cakes, but I'd rather do something with Alice and the flower garden for my soon-to-be 3 year old. Thanks!

Finally getting around to post a photo for my 30th birthday cake which I had made for our vacation in early September.

Size: 8 inch

Flavor: Chocolate cake with vanilla buttercream filling covered in vanilla buttercream and then topped with fondant

Cost: $230 ($115 was the added cost to have a fully hand-painted Donald Duck white chocolate figurine rather than a gold-touched white Donald Duck - so price would have been $115 with just the gold touched Donald on top)

Location: YC/BC Private Dining - delivered directly to our BCV

Review: This was one amazing cake. The best part was the fully hand painted Donald. I assumed the white parts of the Donald (his tail, parts of his face, etc.) would not be painted but just left as white chocolate. Instead he was entirely painted, so the white parts of him were a true white instead of a cream white. Tons of attention was paid to detail - the grass around his feet was even shaded to look more realistic and the tiny sliver of tongue in his open mouth was painted red. I brought plastic food containers with me and was able to save him and bring him home with me. As for the cake itself, the pastry team did a wonderful job with the theme - I was so impressed. I also like that they took it upon themselves to add the 30 gold numbers onto the cake. The cake tasted very fresh, but it was so rich that it was difficult to eat more than a tiny slice at a time.

Sorry for the large size of the photo!

Hi!! I tried searching the boards, and looked through some of this thread, but couldn't find any mention of cake at HDDR. Is it possible to do cake or anything else special for a birthday at HDDR? We'll be there for dinner on our first night... it is our honeymoon and my fiance's birthday is the week of our wedding and is bound to get a little buried in all the prep and excitement...so I'd like to do something special for him at WDW, and the first night would be ideal. If not, I could always have one waiting in our room at WL when we get back, I suppose. Thanks!

Yes, see post 2 on the first page for the Fort Wilderness number. Since HDDR is at that resort they should be able to help you.

Review: This was one amazing cake. The best part was the fully hand painted Donald. I assumed the white parts of the Donald (his tail, parts of his face, etc.) would not be painted but just left as white chocolate. Instead he was entirely painted, so the white parts of him were a true white instead of a cream white. Tons of attention was paid to detail - the grass around his feet was even shaded to look more realistic and the tiny sliver of tongue in his open mouth was painted red.

Wow! That's the best hand-painted white chocolate figure I've seen yet!

Hi I was just wondering if anyone could give me any ideas... We will be in Disney World Jan-24 till Feb 1 and we kind of have three birthdays to celebrate. My oldest daughter turns 11 a few days before we get there, my youngest daughter turns 6 while there and I turn 35 feb 2 the day after we leave. We have reservations every night throughout our trip and CRT on my girls sixth bday. How should we go about getting cakes? I think three would be a little much and I don't want our other kids left out. I am almost thinking a mini cake (themed with the white aristocat?) if they do that and five themed cupcakes for everyone else. All at CRT. Do they do themed cupcakes? I was figuring that way no one would be left out. Any other suggestions would be great.

lurkyloo said:
You had a Disney's Fairy Tale Wedding, right? Some past brides have had better luck asking their former wedding planners for help with anniversary cake orders (though it's kinda up to whether or not s/he feels like helping you). You might reach out to yours and just ask...

I tried calling the GF number again yesterday evening at 7.20pm, my Sister and I were at the resort pool and hubby was in the room, and Pat actually picked up the phone! I didn't push the Star Wars issue. I am going with a golf theme for hubby for his Birthday. Pat quoted me $66, it will be chocolate with raspberry filling. Lurkyloo - I'll use your tip for a replica anniversary cake if/when we are here celebrating our anniversay, thanks!

mrsclark said:
Finally getting around to post a photo for my 30th birthday cake which I had made for our vacation in early September.

Flavor: Chocolate cake with vanilla buttercream filling covered in vanilla buttercream and then topped with fondant

Cost: $230 ($115 was the added cost to have a fully hand-painted Donald Duck white chocolate figurine rather than a gold-touched white Donald Duck - so price would have been $115 with just the gold touched Donald on top)

Review: This was one amazing cake. The best part was the fully hand painted Donald. I assumed the white parts of the Donald (his tail, parts of his face, etc.) would not be painted but just left as white chocolate. Instead he was entirely painted, so the white parts of him were a true white instead of a cream white. Tons of attention was paid to detail - the grass around his feet was even shaded to look more realistic and the tiny sliver of tongue in his open mouth was painted red. I brought plastic food containers with me and was able to save him and bring him home with me. As for the cake itself, the pastry team did a wonderful job with the theme - I was so impressed. I also like that they took it upon themselves to add the 30 gold numbers onto the cake. The cake tasted very fresh, but it was so rich that it was difficult to eat more than a tiny slice at a time.

Sorry for the large size of the photo!

http://s792.photobucket.com/user/mrsclark07/media/DSC00236_zps89345e49.jpg.html

Wow - love this cake. Congratulations!

That is an awesome Donald! He's my favorite of the Fab Five so it makes me smile to see such loving detail and work put into that figure of him. Wish I had the budget to splurge on something like that!

I tried calling the GF number again yesterday evening at 7.20pm, my Sister and I were at the resort pool and hubby was in the room, and Pat actually picked up the phone! I didn't push the Star Wars issue. I am going with a golf theme for hubby for his Birthday. Pat quoted me $66, it will be chocolate with raspberry filling. Lurkyloo - I'll use your tip for a replica anniversary cake if/when we are here celebrating our anniversay, thanks!

Oh good! I'm so glad you finally got to place your order! :goodvibes

Hope someone might be able to help? We've just booked a trip for November and I'm wanting to order a themed fondant cake to be delivered during our meal. I think we'll probably be booking a meal at Kona at the Poly. To get a cake delivered there is it the Contemporary that I have to email? Or should I phone first? Thanks for any help :goodvibes

Hope someone might be able to help? We've just booked a trip for November and I'm wanting to order a themed fondant cake to be delivered during our meal. I think we'll probably be booking a meal at Kona at the Poly. To get a cake delivered there is it the Contemporary that I have to email? Or should I phone first? Thanks for any help :goodvibes

No, the Grand Floridian provides cakes for the Polynesian, and they do not offer an email address for ordering cakes. Call Private Dining at the GF using the number listed in Post #2 of this thread. :thumbsup2

No, the Grand Floridian provides cakes for the Polynesian, and they do not offer an email address for ordering cakes. Call Private Dining at the GF using the number listed in Post #2 of this thread. :thumbsup2

That's great, Thank you !! :worship: :cloud9:

Do you think they'd be able to do something along the lines of it being Wilderness Lodge themed? Going to nosey on google for some ideas :)

Sure! It does help to have lots of photos, though, if you have something very specific in mind. :thumbsup2

Finally getting around to post a photo for my 30th birthday cake which I had made for our vacation in early September. Size: 8 inch Flavor: Chocolate cake with vanilla buttercream filling covered in vanilla buttercream and then topped with fondant Cost: $230 ($115 was the added cost to have a fully hand-painted Donald Duck white chocolate figurine rather than a gold-touched white Donald Duck - so price would have been $115 with just the gold touched Donald on top) Location: YC/BC Private Dining - delivered directly to our BCV Review: This was one amazing cake. The best part was the fully hand painted Donald. I assumed the white parts of the Donald (his tail, parts of his face, etc.) would not be painted but just left as white chocolate. Instead he was entirely painted, so the white parts of him were a true white instead of a cream white. Tons of attention was paid to detail - the grass around his feet was even shaded to look more realistic and the tiny sliver of tongue in his open mouth was painted red. I brought plastic food containers with me and was able to save him and bring him home with me. As for the cake itself, the pastry team did a wonderful job with the theme - I was so impressed. I also like that they took it upon themselves to add the 30 gold numbers onto the cake. The cake tasted very fresh, but it was so rich that it was difficult to eat more than a tiny slice at a time. Sorry for the large size of the photo! http://s792.photobucket.com/user/mrsclark07/media/DSC00236_zps89345e49.jpg.html
that's awesome but I got a question. I had a Minnie fully colored from the contem 2 rears ago and a full fondant 8 inch cake and it was 140. Why such a huge price increase forcthe Donald? My Minnie fully fully painted.

Jimi.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

For some reason, the Contemporary's pastry team seems to charge the least of any on property, while the Yacht & Beach Club (where the OP's Donald came from) charges the most. The Grand Floridian and BoardWalk seem to fall somewhere in the middle.

I need a cake in 19 days. I am thinking I need to order soon?
A cute mini cake for my turning 3 year old seems best and I have no where to put left overs. I want her to have a little cake since it is her bday.
Crystal Palace or H&v are my options. They are day before her bday and day of.
From reading it seems it will be easier to get a cake to CP easier then H&V. Seems I can't get a mini cake there. Thoughts?

Back from our trip and I am trying to figure out how to load a pic of our cake. I gave CR a budget of $100 they quoted $55 and I told them I wanted more I needed it to be "over the top" wilderness lodge themed with lots of hidden mickeys. I got a 6 inch vanilla with custard filling that was very much not over the top. It was plain white fondant with chip and dale on top, green grass around the bottom, no hidden mickeys anywhere after I stressed that several times. And I didn't think chip and dale was wilderness lodge themed. I was very disappointed and I asked for a banner that said "thank you daddy" on the cake and it honestly looked like a 2 year old wrote the banner. Needless to say I will not be using them anymore for our cakes, I miss Chef Brian!

Here's the pic of the previous poster's cake...

Pastry Team: The Contemporary

Price: $78

Size: 6 inches

Flavors: Vanilla cake with custard, covered in fondant

ChipDaleCake.jpg

Back from our trip and I am trying to figure out how to load a pic of our cake. I gave CR a budget of $100 they quoted $55 and I told them I wanted more I needed it to be "over the top" wilderness lodge themed with lots of hidden mickeys. I got a 6 inch vanilla with custard filling that was very much not over the top. It was plain white fondant with chip and dale on top, green grass around the bottom, no hidden mickeys anywhere after I stressed that several times. And I didn't think chip and dale was wilderness lodge themed. I was very disappointed and I asked for a banner that said "thank you daddy" on the cake and it honestly looked like a 2 year old wrote the banner. Needless to say I will not be using them anymore for our cakes, I miss Chef Brian!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter