Official DISNEY Cake Chatter Thread - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be ordering one for next month in the next couple weeks. We want ours delivered to Chef Mickey's for my DS 8th birthday. I want a fancy fondant cake. From what I have read all I need to do is call this phone number at the Contemporary Resort* — 407-824-2955. Will they provide me email so I can send them examples of what I want?

Hey all :goodvibes

I've read though a good deal of this thread and I still need a little advice. My daughters birthday is coming up on our next trip, just under 3 weeks away. Her BD dinner will be at 1900 PF and I've already spoken with Pat about 2 months ago regarding her cake. The call was very brief and she explained that they wouldnt be able to do what I wanted (cinderella slipper on pillow shaped cake) as it would take up too much time but they would put a slipper on a round cake and try to add tassels to make it look like a pillow :confused3 She wasnt interested in any of the details of how I wanted the cake, her agenda seemed more along the lines of what pre made style could she interest me in. This worries me, because Disney or not, I dont want to spend that much money on a cake that looks like I got it done at the grocery store. I guess I'm a little hesitant to go ahead with this cake that will be $125 if its not going to be what I want, which it couldnt possibly be since I spent 5 minutes on the phone with her. I guess my question is this, I've seen others who have sent in examples of what they wanted and been very pleased and then I've heard the horror stories of overpriced ugly cakes. Should I push the subject now that were getting closer, maybe send in a picture similar to what I want, or just let it go and pay too much money for a mediocre cake?

Thanks Lurkyloo!!! I just called the Yacht Club and they said they'd be able to do exactly what I was hoping for!!! :goodvibes Thank goodness!! I ordered a 8 inch cars themed cake and I can't wait to see how it turns out!! I'll be sure to post back to you guys after our trip with the pictures! I'm almost as excited about this cake as I am about our entire vacation!!
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Hooray! Can't wait to see it! :goodvibes

From what I have read all I need to do is call this phone number at the Contemporary Resort* — 407-824-2955. Will they provide me email so I can send them examples of what I want?

Yes. :thumbsup2

Hey all :goodvibes

I've read though a good deal of this thread and I still need a little advice. My daughters birthday is coming up on our next trip, just under 3 weeks away. Her BD dinner will be at 1900 PF and I've already spoken with Pat about 2 months ago regarding her cake. The call was very brief and she explained that they wouldnt be able to do what I wanted (cinderella slipper on pillow shaped cake) as it would take up too much time but they would put a slipper on a round cake and try to add tassels to make it look like a pillow :confused3 She wasnt interested in any of the details of how I wanted the cake, her agenda seemed more along the lines of what pre made style could she interest me in. This worries me, because Disney or not, I dont want to spend that much money on a cake that looks like I got it done at the grocery store. I guess I'm a little hesitant to go ahead with this cake that will be $125 if its not going to be what I want, which it couldnt possibly be since I spent 5 minutes on the phone with her. I guess my question is this, I've seen others who have sent in examples of what they wanted and been very pleased and then I've heard the horror stories of overpriced ugly cakes. Should I push the subject now that were getting closer, maybe send in a picture similar to what I want, or just let it go and pay too much money for a mediocre cake?

The Grand Floridian's fondant cakes usually look pretty good (at $125, I'm assuming her quote includes fondant)—it's the buttercream-covered ones that sometimes turn out like grocery store cakes, especially if all they have is a screen print on top. But I'd definitely call back to go over the details of the order one more time (or maybe you could pretend you're someone different altogether and get a different answer! :rotfl: ) and ask to email a picture.

We had this one made for my daughter's 16th birthday. We had it at O'hanas Oct 11. cost was $450

IMG2949.jpg
IMG2954.jpg
IMG2962.jpg

I am sorry did you say $450???:scared1: it is beautiful! but wow!

I am sorry did you say $450???:scared1: it is beautiful! but wow!

My thought exactly! It is beautiful, but that's a little too steep for me. :eek: I'll be needing a birthday cake for my Goddaughter in January and hoping to stay under the $100 mark!

yup it was $450. I thought it was steep till we ate cake for the next 5 days. It would of had fed 50 people. Only had 10 in my party and we all ate cake for the rest of the week

yup it was $450. I thought it was steep till we ate cake for the next 5 days. It would of had fed 50 people. Only had 10 in my party and we all ate cake for the rest of the week

TomD, I meant to compliment your cake! Gorgeous! I'm not all that shocked with the price. My hubby had a cake made for my 35th birthday at a local bakery in Beaumont, Texas that your cake reminded me a lot of. I should see if I can find a pic of it to post just for inspirational purposes because it really was beautiful. He paid $200 or $250 for it. The cake was amazing to look at with all the little details. The only problem was that it tasted terrible. Really bad. The cake was dry and whatever frosting was in/on that thing (under the fondant) had a wang that totally killed the whole thing. It was just bad. We had fun deconstructing it and I choked down a single piece but we didn't eat anymore of it. At the time, it was the thought and effort the hubby put into indulging me with such a wonderful surprise that made it all worthwhile. However, I'd say if you had a cake done that was as gorgeous as my 35th birthday cake AND it tasted good enough to continue eating the leftovers then $450 wasn't so terrible. Imagine spending $200+ on a cake that's practically inedible! :sad2:

A while back I saw information about a mini pirate treasure cake that could be ordered last minute at certain restaurants, but I can't find the information anymore. Does anyone know if that cake is still available and if it can still be ordered once you arrive for your reservation? It looked like an individual children's cake that came in a treasure chest with a couple of small toys.

Does anyone know if you can get that mini 2 tier wedding cake that feeds 1-2 in a less wedding-y design? We will most likely be there for my baby's 2nd birthday and I would like to have something other than a stock cake or a cupcake for her, but I really don't want anything that's going to feed a ton of people since we're only going to be there 2 more days and we don't want to have to cart around cake. Plus, I make cakes for my kids - elaborate fondant covered ones - so there is no way that I'm going to pay someone else hundreds of dollars for something I can do myself. I just want something cute for her that we can finish in one sitting. 2 adults, 2 kids, and a baby.

Does anyone know if you can get that mini 2 tier wedding cake that feeds 1-2 in a less wedding-y design? We will most likely be there for my baby's 2nd birthday and I would like to have something other than a stock cake or a cupcake for her, but I really don't want anything that's going to feed a ton of people since we're only going to be there 2 more days and we don't want to have to cart around cake. Plus, I make cakes for my kids - elaborate fondant covered ones - so there is no way that I'm going to pay someone else hundreds of dollars for something I can do myself. I just want something cute for her that we can finish in one sitting. 2 adults, 2 kids, and a baby.

Several pages back, lurkyloo posted one she ordered at CR that was pink I think and I saw one that was done with chocolate icing, just 3-4 pages back. I am pretty sure I have seen others as well, if I remember correctly someone had one done in an almost rainbow colored fondant.

If you go to the very first page, second post, there is a listing of many of the cakes in this thread, there are quite a few pictures of the mini cake and they are listed as mini cakes.

A while back I saw information about a mini pirate treasure cake that could be ordered last minute at certain restaurants, but I can't find the information anymore. Does anyone know if that cake is still available and if it can still be ordered once you arrive for your reservation? It looked like an individual children's cake that came in a treasure chest with a couple of small toys.

Unfortunately, Walt Disney World doesn't offer these anymore. Interestingly, I saw them offered at Disneyland the other day....

Does anyone know if you can get that mini 2 tier wedding cake that feeds 1-2 in a less wedding-y design?.

Yes—you can have them styled many different ways. I'd do what PrincessSuzanne suggested and look through the photos of minicakes posted in this thread. And if you still don't see any you like, you can send a sketch or a photo of another cake in to Private Dining and have them approximate it.

I had originally wanted one for my daughters 1st birthday and I asked Chef Brain if they could frost it any different to make it look more appealing to a small child and he said yes they could use different colors. I ended up ordering a custom cake since our party grew, but I would have liked to see what they would have done.

Here are some pictures of our anniversary cake, which was delivered to Narcoossee's.

IMG_4960.jpg

IMG_4955.jpg

IMG_4951.jpg

It was vanilla cake, filled with pastry cream. I talked to Pat first, then emailed pictures of what I had in mind. She called me to go over all the details, I found her really easy to work with. I think it helped that I was very clear and had a photo of what I wanted.

Just back a week ago from our very first, adult only trip. We celebrated my husband's bday (just the two of us) :goodvibes I ordered a specialty Toy Story cake for my son in June 2010 - see post 3232 and decided to leave the Toy Story Mania, which is my husband's favorite ride, design up to Brian. He knocked it out of the park last year so why not?

I sent an email and simply specified colorful, fun and special enough to contend with his famous Haunted Mansion cakes. Also, my husband's birthday was 10/19 and we left for home 10/20. I specified that the cake could not require refrigeration and mentioned that red velvet was his favorite. The response was red velvet with buttercream. No worries, we would have plenty to share with the kids because I ordered an 8 inch. (6 inch that have been made were not offered even when I mentioned it was for the two of us. Guess I should have asked.)

I opted to have the cake delivered to our BLT room while we were out for dinner. Note: We were charged 18% tip and $3 delivery fee bringing the total from $100 to $127.

I wasn't disappointed with the look of the cake, just not wowed by it. Also I provided an amount that would be my limit and that's what I was charged. There are been more and less elaborate cakes made on this forum for the same price. Just an observation...

But I digress, we cut into the cake and uh oh! Cream cheese frosting. There was no way that we could take that home because we flew and were leaving the morning of 10/20. Luckily the private dining manager had my email and did agree that it should not have been cream cheese. At any rate, the neighbors were happy when we provided them with a cake to enjoy as it was 2 adults and 3 kids :rotfl: Gotta make the best of it!

Now for the reveal:
Picture023.jpg

Picture024.jpg

Picture025.jpg

Picture026.jpg

Picture028.jpg

Here are some pictures of our anniversary cake, which was delivered to Narcoossee's.

IMG_4960.jpg

It was vanilla cake, filled with pastry cream.

Great cake! Do you mind sharing the size and the price for other DISers' future reference?

I opted to have the cake delivered to our BLT room while we were out for dinner. Note: We were charged 18% tip and $3 delivery fee bringing the total from $100 to $127.

I wasn't disappointed with the look of the cake, just not wowed by it. Also I provided an amount that would be my limit and that's what I was charged. There are been more and less elaborate cakes made on this forum for the same price. Just an observation...

Picture028.jpg

I'm not usually a fan of screen-printed white chocolate pieces on cakes, but I like the way they were incorporated on this one. And the fondant targets are so appealing! Too bad about not being able to take it home with you, though. :sad1:

IMG_4960.jpg

It was vanilla cake, filled with pastry cream. I talked to Pat first, then emailed pictures of what I had in mind. She called me to go over all the details, I found her really easy to work with. I think it helped that I was very clear and had a photo of what I wanted.

Wow ... that is an amazing cake! I am planning my mom's bday cake for our New Year's trip ... she would love your theme too, but it doesn't really fit the time of year! :upsidedow

I have been stalking this thread for a couple of months now and have decided I am deff doing a cake this year!:cool1:

My trip in december will be my sisters first trip and her birthday trip. Shes only 10 and I want to make it special.

Does anyone know if you can have a cake delivered to the Coronado springs resort since it is the only moderate with Deluxe amenities? Or would I have to get a screen print cake from a resturant. I really want my own.

P.s.- Im sorry if this question was answered.. but I really couldnt find it. :confused3

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter