Official DISNEY Cake Chatter Thread - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I called about two weeks before our trip and left a message for the chef. He gave me a call back a few days later, so I guess it was a little less than a week and a half before the trip that they were ordered.

I did also see one in the case at BW Bakery.

One cake is perfect for 2 people. ;)

I figured it was, but DH doesn't care for cake, so I wouldn't be wasting money or cake. We are probably going to get a box of pastries from France at Epcot.

I ordered a Minnie Mouse cake for my DD 1st birthday in September 2011. I sent Chef Brian a sketch 2 weeks before the trip, I ordered it 2 days before our trip. I was quoted $90 for a 6" white cake, I paid an extra $5 for fresh strawberry and bavarian cream filling. The mouse ears on top of the cake were solid chocolate. I wish they would have made them from fondant because that was too much, all we ate from that piece were the ears. The cake was beautiful, just what I wanted. It was more frosting than anything, but it tasted great. Total cost of the cake was around $118 because of the 18% gratuity they added to our party of 7. That was more than I wanted to pay for a cake, but it was her first birthday and I really wanted the memories, although she probably won't remember I will. Sadly it didn't do so well on the plane ride home, it turned all mushy.
DaphneBdayParty52.jpg
[/IMG]
can you tell me how to order a cake like this?? I would love it for my twins 1st birthday!!!

bump cause I REALLY want to order that Minnie cake for my twins forst birthday and we leave in 2 weeks!! staying at CB and want to make sure I call or email the right place to have it delivered!

bump cause I REALLY want to order that Minnie cake for my twins forst birthday and we leave in 2 weeks!! staying at CB and want to make sure I call or email the right place to have it delivered!

Based on the name of the pastry chef and on the furniture/wall decorations I'm guessing that they ordered the cake at Chef Mickeys. Hopefully alfwhoa will be back to give you that info.

Hey All! I just ordered my cake for our trip next week. I didn't want to spend much, but wanted something more than the usual. After contacting Private Dining at the Contemporary, I emailed Brian back and forth a couple times. I had to give up my dreams of beautiful fondant :rolleyes1 :rotfl: in lieu of buttercream and 2D images. But oh well. I will post a photo next week. Hoping that all goes well with the surprise. I hope I explained well enough about it being a surprise and making sure that the waitress/server/host doesn't say anything until after we get the cake. The CM that helped me on the phone seemed a little...er...tired, and perhaps was *cough* recovering from a night out? :laughing:

Its going to be a 8 inch, German chocolate, cars theme cake for my FIL, who's actual birthday is a week after we get back (when he'll be getting back surgery :sad2:). So we're doing this to cheer him up and fill him up with lots of good memories.

Best part - this is for a breakfast ADR at Whispering Canyon Cafe. And DH loves ketchup with his potatoes and eggs at breakfast - I can't wait! :woohoo: We leave Saturday!

The chocolate slippers for $15 that people order...are they hollow are solid chocolate? thanks

Well, the part where Cinderella's foot goes is hollow so they can fill it with mousse, if that's what you mean. :rotfl: But the rest of the shoe is solid. :thumbsup2

BoardWalk Bakery makes the cakes for CB, but you have to order through CB if you want it delivered. Complete ordering info can be found HERE.

I don't know the size, and that did not matter. It was a cake with flowers and they put the little princess figurines on it. Or fairies. I thought it was really cool and want to get one for my granddaughter, but now I can not find it. Thanks.

I've got a Question concerning gratuity when having a cake delivered to a restaurant.

I could have sworn I saw a post at some point saying they separate it out on the bill- basically to ensure that the proper areas get tipped- i.e. the server gets tipped for the meal and private dining gets tipped for the cake; however, this was not the case when we got our cake delivered to Chef Mickey's. Everything was all lumped into the total and we were told to tip based on the meal price. I really thought nothing of it until my friend raised a question. She is going in December and the plan is to have a cake delivered to 'Ohana...but while we were a party of 4- they are a party of 6 and the gratuity will automatically be added in. She has no problem with tipping private dining for a good cake, but if the tip money doesn't make it to private dining- it's kind of painful to think that a cake worth more than their combined meal cost is going to more than double their server's tip.

Does anyone know how this is supposed to work? I know you could make the argument that having a $150 cake delivered isn't that different from ordering a $150 bottle of wine. i.e. in both cases you ordered a premium item served by but not made by the restaurant; however, it got me to thinking about cakes you'd order from a local bakery for something like a wedding. While you'd tip the wedding venue which would inlcude gratuity for any number of things including serving the cake...you'd also tip the bakery that made the cake- which would be the greater portion of the gratuity funds allocated in your budget for the cake.

My friend is prepared to have to tip based on dinner price as well as cake costs rolled in, but I'm just curious how this is supposed to work and what other people's experiences have been.

I ordered a Toy Story themed cake for my son's 18th birthday and high school graduation. Delivered to Cali Grill on June 10th, 2010. I believe it was 8 inch, yellow cake with buttercream filling. Can't remember the flavor details from that long ago but it was spectacular and he was so surprised! Cost was $100 and design left up to CakeManBri.

Unlike some other families, our party of 10 managed to polish it off that night :rotfl:

Dakotascake.jpg

NewImage.jpg

I ordered my birthday cake from the Contemporary today!!! It is going to be a tropical themed Stitch cake. I can't wait! I have nothing but good things to say about my experience so far. They called me back quickly and Chef Brian replied to my email very fast! I will post pictures after my trip!!!!

I've got a Question concerning gratuity when having a cake delivered to a restaurant.

I could have sworn I saw a post at some point saying they separate it out on the bill- basically to ensure that the proper areas get tipped- i.e. the server gets tipped for the meal and private dining gets tipped for the cake; however, this was not the case when we got our cake delivered to Chef Mickey's. Everything was all lumped into the total and we were told to tip based on the meal price. I really thought nothing of it until my friend raised a question. She is going in December and the plan is to have a cake delivered to 'Ohana...but while we were a party of 4- they are a party of 6 and the gratuity will automatically be added in. She has no problem with tipping private dining for a good cake, but if the tip money doesn't make it to private dining- it's kind of painful to think that a cake worth more than their combined meal cost is going to more than double their server's tip.

Does anyone know how this is supposed to work? I know you could make the argument that having a $150 cake delivered isn't that different from ordering a $150 bottle of wine. i.e. in both cases you ordered a premium item served by but not made by the restaurant; however, it got me to thinking about cakes you'd order from a local bakery for something like a wedding. While you'd tip the wedding venue which would inlcude gratuity for any number of things including serving the cake...you'd also tip the bakery that made the cake- which would be the greater portion of the gratuity funds allocated in your budget for the cake.

My friend is prepared to have to tip based on dinner price as well as cake costs rolled in, but I'm just curious how this is supposed to work and what other people's experiences have been.

The cake is always added to your dinner bill, which means that if you have more than 6 people or are using the Tables In Wonderland discount card, you are automatically charged a gratuity on the full amount, including the cake. And as far as I know, none of that gratuity makes it back to the people who actually made the cake.

What to do about it is up to you. There is always the option to have a manager adjust the total—usually this occurs when a TIW diner doesn't want to leave the full 18% as the tip on the meal. But I think they bank on guests being too uncomfortable to ask for this.

Personally, I agree with you—carrying a $150 cake to the table and cutting everyone a piece is nice, but is it worth $27 extra in tip? I'd cut the dang thing myself if I knew it would save the gratuity! :rotfl:

Please help me figure this out. I thought that I read that there was a possibility of getting a peanut butter filling in a cake. One of the people that is going with me is a huge peanut butter cup fan. I wanted to go ahead and try to order a chocolate cake with a peanut butter filling with chocolate ganache.

I think I would like it to be delivered to dinner at Jiko. Anyone know if it is available there?

Animal Kingdom Lodge bakery is probably going to tell you no—only a couple of places are willing to do any fillings besides chocolate/vanilla/fruit, and AKL has not historically been one of them. So far only Grand Floridian, Contemporary and BoardWalk Bakery have been willing to make it. However, it's always worth asking Private Dining at AKL—things can change.

This list will give you a complete rundown of what flavors are offered where, plus phone numbers:

http://disneytravelbabble.com/how-to/order-cake/by-location/

Hi,:goodvibes:) Our Anniversary trip in 10 days away and I am calling the Y/B club to order my cake today. We are on f/dining so will we just be billed for the cake? I know that we are going to be filled after eating at our favorite restaurant, what if we don't have room for cake? Can they box it up for us to take back to the Poly to eat? Has anyone ever seen anyone not eat the cake when it was delivered.? I can always have the Poly send up plates and utensils for us. Thanks!:goodvibes

Hi,:goodvibes:) Our Anniversary trip in 10 days away and I am calling the Y/B club to order my cake today. We are on f/dining so will we just be billed for the cake? I know that we are going to be filled after eating at our favorite restaurant, what if we don't have room for cake? Can they box it up for us to take back to the Poly to eat? Has anyone ever seen anyone not eat the cake when it was delivered.? I can always have the Poly send up plates and utensils for us. Thanks!:goodvibes

Yep! I have a friend who had a cake at Chef Mickeys but they didn't cut it there. It was boxed up & they put it in their fridge in their room at BLT. I'm sure she said they didn't cut it for 2 days or something like that. She said it was still very tasty. Hope that helps! :goodvibes

sweetpee_1993, Thank you for the quick response. I think sitting on the balcony with a cup of coffee, enjoying my cake sounds wonderful and relaxing. I thought about just having it delivered to the room, but it didn't seem like it would be that special that way. :goodvibes thank you.:thumbsup2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter