Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part IV! (2012-2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
When did this change? I have ordered several times and thought she made the cakes. I was also told this by 1900 Park Fare.

Pat has never made the cakes at the GF. She works for Private Dining, not the pastry team, and acts as a middle-person who takes your order. Just like when you call Private Dining at any of the other resorts—you are not speaking directly to the pastry chefs, you are speaking to Private Dining staffers. That's why the Contemporary is such an unusual situation: They don't answer the phones, but Chefs Brian and Donald are quite accessible via email. Some of the pastry chefs at the other resorts too. The GF seems to keep theirs under lock and key, though :teeth:

Thinking of doing a surprise mini cake to be delivered to our room at the pop on our September trip. Has anyone had a good experience with being ordered and delivered there? Last year I did a cake at the Carribean but it was not what I really wanted. Thinking of something Halloween related.

I had a cake delivered to Art of Animation and it was super-easy. Just send them a detailed description and, more importantly, photos, and they'll forward all the info to BoardWalk Bakery for you. You can't call BWB directly for delivery to Pop, though—they'll say they don't do it.

Pat has never made the cakes at the GF. She works for Private Dining, not the pastry team, and acts as a middle-person who takes your order. Just like when you call Private Dining at any of the other resorts—you are not speaking directly to the pastry chefs, you are speaking to Private Dining staffers. That's why the Contemporary is such an unusual situation: They don't answer the phones, but Chefs Brian and Donald are quite accessible via email. Some of the pastry chefs at the other resorts too. The GF seems to keep theirs under lock and key, though :teeth:

Thanks for clearing this up :) I would really like to work with Chef Brian! Pat has taken several orders and has told me they don't do stuff when I know they do. One time in particular I ordered a mini cake and asked for a few red roses and yellow frosting with a Belle theme and she said they could do maybe 1 rose. It couldn't have filling either. When I got the cake it was full of little red roses and had filling. It was very cute.

Thanks for clearing this up :) I would really like to work with Chef Brian! Pat has taken several orders and has told me they don't do stuff when I know they do.

I have heard this from many other DISers, unfortunately. And when you talk to the actual pastry chefs at Disney's Fairy Tale Weddings events, they're always surprised to hear the sort of restrictions she places on cake orders.

The Contemporary's pastry team services that resort, Fort Wilderness, Wilderness Lodge and the Magic Kingdom, so dining or staying at one of those places is your ticket to working with them.

I had a cake delivered to Art of Animation and it was super-easy. Just send them a detailed description and, more importantly, photos, and they'll forward all the info to BoardWalk Bakery for you. You can't call BWB directly for delivery to Pop, though—they'll say they don't do it.

Thanks. Now to see if it fits in the budget. I had to move our trip back one week due to my husband's job so the trip is costing us more. Does anyone have any simple Halloween ideas?

Thanks. Now to see if it fits in the budget. I had to move our trip back one week due to my husband's job so the trip is costing us more. Does anyone have any simple Halloween ideas?

Nightmare Before Christmas?

I'm partial to that one...

I have no idea where it is in this thread but somewhere in here is a rapunzel tower cake that I had it's tasty too do and it was wonderful and she only charged me $35! It would have been posted about 1 year ago, if that helps.

Edit: just found it on page 82!
Just seeing this. Thanks!!

Just placed an order for a mini to be accompanied by a white chocolate monorail for my son's birthday later this month. The monorail is his favorite "ride" so can't wait to see his reaction!! Two tier vanilla mini, red buttercream frosting with yellow accents and Mickey ears on top. Plus the monorail - total cost $50. By Disney standards, I feel like I'm getting a deal! :) Will post pictures when we get back!

Checking in with a summary of our most recent order - a Haunted Mansion themed mini cake! I placed the order with the CR bakery and they delivered it to our room at WL. I ordered a vanilla cake with vanilla frosting and purple fondant, Haunted Mansion accents and a 2D image of hitchhiking ghosts. This was a surprise for our three boys, who love haunted mansion, like cake and appreciate good theming everywhere. The cost was a silly $60 plus taxes and delivery. About one year ago, I paid $68 for a 6" cake with fondant, decorated around the sides with fondant cut outs and sporting a hand-painted white chocolate 3D goofy on top. So the price of this is just silly, but it is what it is.

Before you see the photos, I'll say that this cake is not my style. I loved the very simple cakes we ordered last year - the goofy 6" in January and the mickey mini cake in August - all fondant, very clean lines, etc. Because I prefer very simple decorations, I originally envisioned just plain purple fondant with a few black dots piping the edges and the ghost 2D chocolate resting on the middle tier. Now I laugh at myself when I think about my vision for this cake, because the CR bakery produced something that was way more fun and exciting for our kids! The boys LOVED it and were very impressed! They enjoyed it WAY more than what I had in my mind, so yay for the CR bakery!

The tiny black roses on top were sugary and crunchy, the whole mess of black frosting and drapey goopy white stuff was a huge hit. The little chocolate bat was a nice touch and the hitchhiking ghost part was a fun and festive addition. This cake went faster than any other we've ordered so far. I took a few bites and it was amazing. It's that frosting to cake ratio that lurkyloo mentions - so much better in the mini cake. The fondant was outstanding as usual and the cake stayed moist for a couple days. It was by far my favorite dessert of the trip. We ate it for dessert, with breakfast and then with breakfast again the next day.

Next year, we'll stay at either BC or Poly for Marathon Weekend, and I'll miss working with the CR bakery!

View attachment 153578

View attachment 153579

The Haunted Mansion mini cake we ordered did not turn out to be simple (see my description above) but our kids loved it. :)

Subscribing to this awesome thread. Looking to order a cake for our daughter's 9th birthday this year at Disneyland.

Can anyone recommend their best option for a character breakfast at Disneyland for a 9 year old girl. We have already done Ariel's Grotto a few years ago and she loved it. Looking to do something different. Thinking about either Goofy's Kitchen or Plaza Inn for breakfast on her birthday, November 20.

Thanks!
Keola

Subscribing to this awesome thread. Looking to order a cake for our daughter's 9th birthday this year at Disneyland.

Can anyone recommend their best option for a character breakfast at Disneyland for a 9 year old girl. We have already done Ariel's Grotto a few years ago and she loved it. Looking to do something different. Thinking about either Goofy's Kitchen or Plaza Inn for breakfast on her birthday, November 20.

Thanks!
Keola

You might get more responses if you start a new thread in the restaurant forum, not just this thread. This one is mainly for cakes but I know everyone here is very nice and will also answer if they can :)

Thanks!
Keola
We had an awesome time in Surf's Up (mickey, minnie, daisy, pluto, stitch)
The interaction is incredible and characters dance with the kids.
We were there summer 2014. The restaurant was not crowded at all and mickey was amazing. :)

Thanks!
Keola

Hi! Just wanted to confirm, is this for Disneyland or Disney World?

Thanks!
Keola

I'd do Surf's Up at Paradise Pier or Goofy's Kitchen at the Disneyland Hotel. I found the food to be truly bland at Minnie's and much better at the other breakfasts. There is a (much shorter) cake on the Disneyland board as well it you're looking to order one. They don't have as many options but I think I'm still going to order one to surprise my hubby for our anniversary in August.

Thanks!
Keola

We had the Disneyland Bakery do a cake for us back in December (info is over on the Disneyland cake thread). The cake was pretty, but I was not a fan of the frosting (their buttercream tastes more like whipped cream). I also requested more customization and had some issues communicating with them and got some bad info here and there. Lurkyloo had recommended SusieCakes if we were to do another cake at Disneyland. http://disneytravelbabble.com/how-to/order-cake/#disneylandcake

So just got back from my birthday trip...hubby surprised me with this AWESOME Haunted Mansion Cake on Monday night at California Grill (HM is my FAVORITE ride) RThe cake was all chocolate, and absolutely delicious! The roses and all decals were edible! It was the smallest option he could get, and it was supposedly for 6-8 people, but could easily feed 10-12. We needed up sharing with our waiter, the couple next to us, AND we took leftovers to the bartender at the Top Of The World Lounge..LOL. It was SO beautiful and delicious....

@lurkyloo do you know if anyone has posted their experience with the cakes from CSR? Good or bad? I don't remember ever seeing anyone post but I haven't read every page of this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter