Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part IV! (2012-2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the cake that I ordered. It was from the Contemporary Bakery being delivered to BOG on 9/1/16. At the time I was told they are no longer doing 3D cakes. I asked for a Wishes themed cake with fireworks and Mickey balloons. I was not thrilled with the decorations (my DD thought I made it – I do bake and decorate cakes and I could have done this - not the castle though) – I felt it could have been done nicer for the price. I didn’t want fondant so I knew that it wouldn’t look as nice without it but I felt this was very simple. The “fireworks” stuck in the middle of the cake was not from the bakery – I bought it on Etsy because I wanted the cake to be 3D and look special. Without it – it was very plain. Even the waiter at Be Our Guest said that the cake looked really flat – and when I gave him the centerpiece that I brought – he was happy and said it would look much nicer. I wish I could have gotten a nicer 3D design but the cake was delicious. We ate it for the next 2 days and it still was delicious.

It was a 10” chocolate cake with peanut butter filling and buttercream frosting. It was $104. We were a party of 11 and only 10 ate cake because one had an allergy. We ended up with half the cake left and we cut nice size pieces. So they definitely serve more than they say since these cakes are so tall. I will say what was nice of the bakery was that I requested a dairy free cupcake for the friend that has allergies and they shipped the cupcake with the cake. I really appreciated that. I would definitely order a cake again since it was so tasty but not expect anything looking that special without fondant.

IMG_3984_zps1alw6ssw.jpg

IMG_3989_zpsehjogmu8.jpg

Here is the inside of cake.
IMG_3991_zpszo2fmnin.jpg

Wonderful thread! We plan to eat at Chef Mickey's for ODS's 13th birthday next year and while I hadn't planned to get a cake, I think I've changed my mind. :)

Does anyone have any pics of a Goofy cake? I think we'll look at an 8-incher; there are six of us.

My honeymoon is three days from now! So I wanted to order a mini cake that looks like our wedding cake.

So, I called Pat, and I just ordered my mini-cake at the Grand Floridian for our first dinner at Citricos on the 11th. Gluten free vanilla (I didn't know whether that one or chocolate would be better).

It's a mini cake, and I asked if they could recreate our wedding cake design and the lady on the phone said no, because they don't use fondant. So I was a bit disappointed about that. I've seen photos of recreations of other couples' wedding cakes that Disney has done.

When Disney does wedding cake re-creations, it's usually a 6-inch cake covered in fondant. While they may be able to cover a 1-tier mini cake in fondant for you in order to replicate the design of your cake, if you asked for a 2-tier mini cake, they won't use fondant. The only pastry team that seems to be willing to cover 2-tier mini cakes in fondant is the Contemporary's, and even then they will warn you that the small surface area makes it difficult to accurately replicate most designs.

Mini cake.

Hmmm - I almost wonder then if I should order one of these cakes from Boardwalk instead. We have dinner at Yachtsman one night. I was hoping to do it our first night there when we eat at GF at Citricos - but I want it to look like our wedding cake.

Honestly, pretty much any Deluxe resort besides the Grand Floridian is going to be more open to customizing what you want. It's a shame. Sometimes if you tell the Private Dining contact for the GF that you had a Disney wedding, she unbends a bit, but usually your options there are inexplicably limited (considering the range and creativity of the GF pastry team).

Honestly, pretty much any Deluxe resort besides the Grand Floridian is going to be more open to customizing what you want. It's a shame. Sometimes if you tell the Private Dining contact for the GF that you had a Disney wedding, she unbends a bit, but usually your options there are inexplicably limited (considering the range and creativity of the GF pastry team).

Do you happen to know if they charge a fee if I cancel the cake at GF?

When Disney does wedding cake re-creations, it's usually a 6-inch cake covered in fondant. While they may be able to cover a 1-tier mini cake in fondant for you in order to replicate the design of your cake, if you asked for a 2-tier mini cake, they won't use fondant. The only pastry team that seems to be willing to cover 2-tier mini cakes in fondant is the Contemporary's, and even then they will warn you that the small surface area makes it difficult to accurately replicate most designs.
I had a fondant covered mini at GF - Pat actually suggested the fondant! This was last December.
image.jpeg

Ordered my DS surprise birthday cake! They said they couldn't do what I was looking for with the Bmx bike theme but I'm ok with what I ended up ordering. It was cheaper to go this way and when we get home I'm going to have his bike cake made.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter