• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Official Car rental September 2013...advice please

westcoastgal

Mouseketeer
We are traveling from Toronto to Orlando direct on September 21 and landing at about 1:10pm. Staying at Wyndham Bonnet Creek and returning Sept 29 in the evening. Since the WBC now charges $5 per person per round trip for it's park shuttles, and we have 2 children (age 3 and 4), we are renting a car.
I have been looking into rentals from Orlando Airport and they are quite expensive. I have tried Costco, Visa discounts, Aeroplan discounts, online coupon codes, etc., I think I need to wait closer to the date and watch for decreases, and that is fine.
I have a couple of questions for you veterans.

1) Companies like Sixt and Fox seem to be much cheaper than Alamo, Avis, etc., Has anyone used any of these other companies? I googled Sixt and it seems they are European and well established in Europe but smaller and newer here. The others, I have no clue about except I have heard of Enterprise but not used them.

2) It is much cheaper to rent our car off the airport property and we are willing to do this except,the shuttles to our resort seem to run in the $80 price range, negating much savings. Anyone know of a reliable and economical shuttle to get from the airport to WBC?

3) Is there a Hertz at the airport? If not, would it be cheaper as it's not onsite at MCO and how do you get to offsite car rental places? Do they pick you up or a shuttle?

4) Can I rent a car offsite and return it to MCO?

5)Is there a sticky with current car rental discount codes or coupons?

Thanks so much everyone and any advice would be appreciated. If anyone else is traveling in September, 2013, I'd love to know where you are renting a car and any coupons or discount codes. I am thinking of joining the free membership programs of some car rental companies but am not sure if it's worth it or which ones to join to help save money.

First off you are looking WAY too early for a car. The closer your trip gets the better the rates. Just take a look at some of the other threads such at the Jan 2013 rental thread. When that thread was started many many months ago folks were shooked at the rates. But as you read further as their trip got closer the rates dropped A LOT.

Hertz is one of the most expensive companies to rent from

Yes you can rent from and offsite location and return it to MCO without paying a one way drop off fee.

I never book my car until the Tue before my trip. thats because on Tues is when the rental companies release their last minute car specials that are good for my rental car dates which is usually the following week. My last 5 trips including the one I took 3 weeks ago I did this trick and got a mid size from Dollar for 9 days for $126. The other trips I got a mid size for just under $100 from Alamo.

I'm traveling in early Sept and have a car reserved already..thru Priceline, but not on a bid. It's high but still a bit lower than the regular cost when booking with each car rental company.
BUT...I'm sure I'll be able to find a better deal much closer to my travel time. And if not? I've already booked a car for a price I can live with...sort of.

I agree w/ Shelly. Best to start watching a month before. What I generally do is reserve something right now that has a price I'm happy with. Mousesavers usually has some codes to help get the cost down a bit but I find that the Entertainment Book codes are typically the best. I use those to get the best deal right now by shopping all of the major rental agencies. Then, once my trip gets closer, I'll start looking again. I've even had it where the price drops every day up until the day before our trip.

Doesn't look like there are many other September 2013 Car Rental Threads going...wouldn't hurt to turn this into the "official" one eh?

We're going Sept. 21 - Oct. 5...no rental booked yet...that's on the weekend to-do list. ;)

We now have an 'official' Sept 2013 rental thread!!!! Carryon folks.

September! Yay! I'll be watching too. As others have said, I've gotten my best deals starting about 30 days before the trip. Besides the discounts found here, try www.mousesavers.com for codes and look at www.carrentalsavers.com AAA used to be competitive but I don't find that to be true any longer. My friend also has used a site (I had never heard about previously) www.carrental8.com and liked what she secured for pricing.
Ain't planning fun? pixiedust:

What do you guys know about the following and how much do these charges really add to the car rental? My gf says she rented a car last year and her actual charges were almost double the quote she had obtained. I am not interested in paying $600 for a week's rental if I am getting $300 quotes now. To be honest, even $400 is too much.

International Drivers: Beginning in January 1, 2013, Florida law requires all drivers from abroad — including Canadian and British tourists — possess an international driver's permit in addition to their regular license. Millions of international visitors drive in Florida each year, and state legislators thought the international driving permit — a standardized document that translates the license details into 10 different languages — would help law officers interpret foreign licenses. The permit seems notably more important for visitors from locations such as Quebec and Brazil where English is likely not the language of their credentials. The new law, however, applies to any non-resident and to those renting cars as well, although it is unclear whether car rental agencies would ask for the permit. The Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles has said it is looking to “clarify the law” so that English-language licenses would be acceptable. The next legislative session begins in March, and the soonest any change might happen would be July 1, 2013. Canadians can pick up an IDP at a local CAA office for $25, plus the cost of passport photos. It’s valid for one year.
Update: The Florida Highway Patrol will no longer be enforcing a state law requiring Canadian drivers to carry an international driving permit along with their drivers license. The CAA is working to find out whether the same applies to local police forces. If not, it’s possible Canadian drivers could be arrested for driving without a valid license. Also, there remains concerns about insurance coverage in Florida since for the time being the law states that without an international driver’s permit Canadians do not have a valid driver’s license. We’ve heard conflicting signals from the industry on whether they’d honor policies or not,” said CAA spokesperson Ian Jack. “In the interim, Insurance Bureau of Canada, strongly discourages any insurer from using the amended Florida statute as a reason to deny coverage on the basis that the non–resident driver was not authorized to operate a motor vehicle in the state of Florida.” As to whether car rental agencies would require the international driving permit, Budget car rental as said the permit would be required along with the driver’s license to rent a vehicle in Florida, while both Hertz and Enterprise in Orlando have said that only a valid Canadian license would be required for car rental.

I'm not leaving anything to chance...I'll be going in and paying to get my international license. Seems like a bit of a money grab but let's think worst case scenario here:

1. You get pulled over for speeding and the cop is having a bad day. Could be night in jail if things go REALLY sideways

2. You get into an accident and don't have a "valid" drivers license. Your insurance could be null and void.

To me it seems like a pretty cheap price to pay to ensure that I'm covered off.

The International License for Canadians has been revoked. This legislation is meant for drivers from countries that have a license not in English. Some things to remember when getting your quote and actually picking up your car: they will try to get you to buy their insurance. You may already be covered, check with your car insurance at home or on the credit card you use to pay for the rental. I never get the additional insurance from the rental company. That's usually about $25 per day! I just rented in November 2012 and paid exactly what the quote was, no hidden charges after the fact either.

I was looking for rentals for my next trip starting September 29th and for one week the best I got so far was through RBC rewards at $159 for one week. I'll be looking closer to the date for even better deals, there are great tips on this thread!

We have decided to book a trip for September and now need a car, the rates are insane. I did find a decent rate with National using a KLM code 8572130, $248 for a mid size. Not great, but I could live with it.

We went last October and got a good rate with Alamo 2 or 3 days before we left. I had ordered a couple GC through airmiles for national but they didn't work with the KLM code. I am hopping to find a better code that I can use the GC's with.

I have an Entertainment book and plan on joining every loyalty program, trying the different codes and coupons, my Visa and Aeroplan discount as well as a coupon I have from Hertz for renting before. I don't know if MC has any promos or where else I should check?
I will post results once I have a chance to go through this.

I know that everyone says wait until about a month or even a week or two to book a rental car - I am sorry but I found a better price in in February for the first week of April than what is going out now - it was with Dollar City Specials,which the price I have is even lowering that what is being offered now.

So my opinion is - book the first good rate you find and keeping looking up until the last minute. Yes, you may have to cancel a few reservations but what does it hurt if you can find the best price available.

I know that everyone says wait until about a month or even a week or two to book a rental car - I am sorry but I found a better price in in February for the first week of April than what is going out now - it was with Dollar City Specials,which the price I have is even lowering that what is being offered now.

So my opinion is - book the first good rate you find and keeping looking up until the last minute. Yes, you may have to cancel a few reservations but what does it hurt if you can find the best price available.

I always book pretty much as soon as I know I will be needing a rental. BUT...I then continue checking all my other options. I never prepay...that way I don't lose anything if/when a better rate comes along. Sometimes, I've found a much better rate closer to my rental date. Others times, the rate I originally booked was the lowest one I ever found.

I always book pretty much as soon as I know I will be needing a rental. BUT...I then continue checking all my other options. I never prepay...that way I don't lose anything if/when a better rate comes along. Sometimes, I've found a much better rate closer to my rental date. Others times, the rate I originally booked was the lowest one I ever found.

100% true.
Book the best rate you find & check for better rates.
Never book a prepaid rate early.

With the entertainment book, I am getting a "pay now" rate of $295.92 for 9 days. This means me picking up the car at 2pm on September 21st and dropping it off at 5pm on September 29th. Although it's only a 3 hour difference, it seems to charge me for 9 days. The price is with Budget and not bad for 9 days but I am wary of the pay now and locking myself in. I will keep looking. By the way, it's a Nissan Ultima Coupe.

I was checking my rate today and it has dropped to $217 for a midsize with National. We are renting for 7 days and using the KLM code. I am happy with this rate. It would be great if we could get a little less, but this is a pretty good deal.

Do I need to be flying on KLM touse this code? With it, my price for midsize for 9 days (even though it is 8 days 3 hours) is $279.50.

Do I need to be flying on KLM touse this code? With it, my price for midsize for 9 days (even though it is 8 days 3 hours) is $279.50.

No you don't. I did sign up for their free Flying Blue frequent flyer card.

Are you a National member? If not you should join. Mousesavers has a link for a free membership. If you are a national member you collect your bags and head straight to the garage and choose your car from the aisle, (if you rented a mid size you choose from the Emerald aisle we usually end up with a SUV or a minivan), and drive to the exit kiosk. They check your info and send you on your way. We have never been asked to give membership cards or coupons, I always have them though just in case. I love renting with National they are so easy and we have always paid the price quoted on our reservation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter