Official Cake Chatter Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which Disney bakery has the best?

Had done a fondant cake with buttercream for our 1900 Park Fare dinner in November - loved the cake, but wasn't thrilled with the buttercreme.
Is the buttercreme from the CR bakery any better? Just curious. Ordering a cake for our WCC dinner, wondered how the buttercreme will be? Similar to GF's bakery, or totally different? Regardless, have already contacted Brian about the cake and definitely are doing it... but am hoping we'll like the buttercreme better than GF!

We're not going to bother with fondant this time - though pretty, none of us cared for it at all. Have only had it twice, once from GF bakery and once from our trip to Carlo's Bakery (Cake Boss) - never time did we care for it (though Carlo's had a great buttercreme!)

I'm new to this thread but have read around some. Am I correct in my understanding that the only place you can pick up a cake from is the Boardwalk Bakery? Is there any possibility of picking one up from the Contemporary? That would be so much more convenient.

Thanks!

I want to have a cake delivered to a room at Saragota Springs. Can that be done? If so what sort of cake for 2 16 year old girls and a 16 year old boy?

ok, need ideas for first bday cake. I used one on here for my bday cake. We are driving down staying at bwv we will be driving on my sons 1st bday, will arrive the day after. I'm going to order from BW bakery and pick up and bring back to our room. We have had the mickey head from CM (hated it...YUCKY) and mine was one on here that someone had for their anniversary from YC. It is white fondant with mickey heads stamped in silver. flowers on top w/white choc mickey in middle and happy 25th anniversary. Mine was purple/gold colors.

Ideas?? It's hard cuz he isn't into any characters, yet.

We're surprising our dd in Sept for her birthday and are looking to have dinner at Akershus. I would love to hear your experiences with cakes that you have ordered at Epcot, including pictures, and prices. Thanks!princess:

I would like to know this too because we are taking my DFIL to Le Cellier to celebrate his retirement and would like to know about ordering a cake for him.

I have had cake made by Epcot and was basically a grocery store-style cake covered in whipped cream icing. I can't post pictures b/c it was ordered by someone else and I don't want to hurt their feelings. However, someone posted about getting a similar cake just a page or two back from this page and they seemed to like it. So I think it just depends on your preference.

My husband and I will be staying there next month for our 5th anniversary and I would love to have a mini wedding cake delivered to our anniversary dinner. Can anyone tell me where to call to order this? When I booked our ADR I was given the option to order an 8" "celebration cake" but that's not what I'm looking for. I looked through several pages of posts but couldn't find the info I'm seeking. Thanks!

Where is your anniversary dinner? If it's at CR, GF, BW or YC & BC you can call Private Dining at that resort and ask to speak with a pastry chef about it. If it's at a park, it's not possible to order a mini wedding cake, unfortunately.

Had done a fondant cake with buttercream for our 1900 Park Fare dinner in November - loved the cake, but wasn't thrilled with the buttercreme.
Is the buttercreme from the CR bakery any better?

I've had GF and CR buttercream and it all tasted the same to me. I'm sure Disney has universal recipes - the chocolate cake all tastes the same too!

I'm new to this thread but have read around some. Am I correct in my understanding that the only place you can pick up a cake from is the Boardwalk Bakery? Is there any possibility of picking one up from the Contemporary? That would be so much more convenient.

Only the BoardWalk Bakery offers pickup. The other resort bakeries do not have storefronts. You could try talking to Private Dining at the Contemporary to see if they'd deliver a cake to the Contempo Cafe for you to pick up...

I want to have a cake delivered to a room at Saragota Springs. Can that be done? If so what sort of cake for 2 16 year old girls and a 16 year old boy?

I called a few months ago and they said they could only have the cake delivered to the restaurant there (Artist's Palate?), not the rooms.... You might just call and ask, though.

Where is your anniversary dinner? If it's at CR, GF, BW or YC & BC you can call Private Dining at that resort and ask to speak with a pastry chef about it. If it's at a park, it's not possible to order a mini wedding cake, unfortunately.

Aww, bummer! Our dinner will be in Epcot, so looks like the mini wedding cake idea is out. :sad2: Thanks for the info!

My good news, I will be at CG for my 22nd wedding anniversary. I found a cake on this thread, that I REALLY wanted to surprise my husband with. I sent it to Poly. Concierge (we are staying CL during our stay) and asked if they could take care of this for me. They are so awesome! They sent it to the baker at CR and they are getting back to me with the price. It was so wonderfully easy.

I love the cake gallery.

Unfortunately I think most of the cakes and cost details are particular to those experiences. It's great that every cake is unique but I wish the pricing were somewhat predictable.

That is probably what the cake hotline will attempt, some uniformity in cake requests and pricing. I just called them and they gave me the new rule "No customization on anything smaller than a 10 inch cake. 45 dollars for the cake and 30 dollars or more for the customization."

I am going to call the Boardwalk bakery chefs tomorrow so see what they say because the person on the phone there today said "All cake orders go through dining at the cake hotline except for custom cakes like the mad hatter 2 tier cakes, for which you talk to the chefs." Maybe that is a chance at getting a smaller custom cake.

Because a 10 inch cake for two adults and two little kids is huge, even if I am willing to pop out that kind of price tag.

I just can't get the standard 21 dollar cake because my 2 year old (turning 3 on our trip) MUST have a pink cake. Sounds silly to some but it's very important to her and will remain a highlight of our whole trip.

I have a feeling I will end up ordering a 10 inch pink cake if necessary. I hope if I do that, it will be pretty. Because although the pricing is becoming standardized, the decorations are not. Clearly from the gallery, I see that some chefs put out little effort, where others went over the top to make incredible, special cakes.

Good luck to everyone trying to arrange for that special cake! :cutie:

That is a beautiful cake and you got a great price! I hope my order turns out this good. I think I will not ask for fondant and instead ask for a personalized pink mermaid cake. Maybe that will bring me to a better price point. Thanks for posting your photos.

hi - I am hoping to get a Happy Holidays themed cake for my two little boys to celebrate the start of our first ever Christmas at WDW. We are staying at BLT and will be eating our first evening meal at 1900 Park Fare - would it be better to request the cake to arrive to the room in BLT or to our dinner table at GF?

Many thanks for any info!:thumbsup2

If we have a cake at our dinner @ 1900 park fare, Can they deliver it back to our room after. There is only 4 of us, so we're gonna have a lot of cake left over.. and we plan to go see spectromagic after dinner and didn't really feel like carrying a huge cake to MK with us!

Just wondering,

Thanks!

If we have a cake at our dinner @ 1900 park fare, Can they deliver it back to our room after. There is only 4 of us, so we're gonna have a lot of cake left over.. and we plan to go see spectromagic after dinner and didn't really feel like carrying a huge cake to MK with us!

Just wondering,

Thanks!

From everything that I've read on here the answer is no. They will box the cake up for you but won't store it or deliver it later.

Just wondering,

Thanks!

We had our cake at California Grill at the Contemporary in September. They held the cake for us while we went to the MK. We came back, watched Wishes from the observation tower, picked up the cake and went back to our hotel.

Just wondering,

Thanks!

We had our cake at California Grill at the Contemporary in September. They held the cake for us while we went to the MK. We came back, watched Wishes from the observation tower, picked up the cake and went back to our hotel.

We had a cake at Ohana's and they boxed it up for us and told us to go to the front desk and they could send back to our resort for us. We were going to have to take the monorail to MK and then a bus to our resort. I don't know if they would still do this b/c this was a few yrs ago. They put it in the bell service fridge and dilivered it the next day b/c it was late when we left.

I ordered my cake just now after weeks of research on the cake threads and internet.

45 dollars for a 10 inch Pink birthday cake that says Happy Birthday Julia.
Chocolate cake with chocolate cream stuff.
For pick up at Boardwalk Bakery.

We will be adding our own cake topper, a miniature Ariel snow globe.

What I would like to say about this is that the same cake was about to cost me 75 bucks.

---First I called the cake hotline. I said I had to get a PINK cake because that is what my little daughter has dreamed up in her imagination. She will be turning 3 years old. This is her first time to WDW. The cake is a big deal to us, a symbol of her birthday and the trip and our family saying farewell to the baby years. It can't be the standard white cake. It has to be Pink!

The cake hotline told me any customization requires a 10 inch cake. The cake is 45 dollars and any customization, such as different frosting or decorations or personalization, would be 30 dollars additional, bringing the cake to 75. I said I'd think about it and call back.

Then I called the Boardwalk Bakery directly, by calling the Boardwalk Hotel and asking to be transfered to the Bakery. I spoke with somebody who said that all cakes should be ordered through the cake hotline, unless you want a mad hatter cake or special cake, for which you speak to the pastry chefs. She gave me his number and said call at 7:30 on Sunday. I got an answering machine but left a nice message.

Chef Keith called me back. I explained the occasion and my need for a PINK cake. I said, "maybe with some swirls or writing but not a ton of specialty decorations." I didn't want those cut outs at all but I didn't want to put down their merchandise. I explained I would bring a small snow globe for the middle of the cake. I said I wasn't sure what cake I could afford but that I heard good things about the Boardwalk Bakery cakes.

Chef Keith said he could do a pink cake for 45 dollars.

I was thrilled with that answer and figure whatever else the cake is besides pink, that would be a bonus. I felt better knowing I had spoken with somebody who makes cakes, even if he doesn't end up making this cake himself. It's just nicer to talk to the bakery instead of the cake hotline, which seems to be like a secretary service, not a baker.

Chef Keith said he would have to let "private dining" call me back to complete the order.

They called minutes later and said "So you want a basic vanilla cake and he is just going to tint the frosting pink for you..."

Part of me wanted to say No no this is a special cake for my daughter with beautiful swirly pink frosting and writing and ...." But I didn't. I just said "Yep!" Because she is just taking the order. She isn't making the cake.

I have hope that the cake will be fine. I certainly didn't need a 10 inch cake for my family but I knew from all the posts on the cake thread that I had to stick to my priorities here and let the chips fall where they may.

I didn't want to insist on the most fancy cake possible, with a high price, still not knowing for sure what it would look like or taste like.

I certainly hope the cake hotline system evolves. I guess the bottom line is that cakes are either standard or special, but not very often standard AND special.

From reading so, so many posts on the cake thread and looking over the gallery so many times that I recognize the cakes, I can see that to get what you want, you have to chat with the bakery, not just the cake hotline.

Now... I wait... and cross my fingers that the cake is cute.

I will post a photo after our trip.
princess:

Just wanted to post that I had a great experience with the GF bakery! I was very worried that the cake would not come out like I wanted or be wrong or something horrible, but it was fantastic! DBF and I ate at Narcoossee's on Valentine's Day and the cake was not only what I asked for, but amazing! It was so beautiful and it tasted good too! I could tell it had been in the refrigerator, but being a little bit cold actually made it taste really good. I also have to say that it is a week later, we are home, and we are still eating the cake! We didn't have a fridge in our room, but I wrapped the box in a towel to keep it fresh. We brought it home yesterday, stuck it in the fridge, and it's still good and very fresh!

I will post pics soon, as the pictures I took did not come out well, so I will have to get DBF to e-mail me the ones he took on his phone. Just wanted to share our great experience!

Ok I'm new here so be gentle with me haha!

We are going a couple weeks before DD 4th bday, and want to let her know that her "friends" at DW are thinking of her :)

We have rezzies at CP for breakfast, Jungle Donald for breakfast and CRT for lunch. The CRT is on our last day, and I was truly thinking of doing something there since it is sort of the most "magical" - what can I get? There are only 3 of us, and frankly, she would be happy with a cupcake haha - so we just want some special attention on her without spending $75 dollars or anything out of the world....

Oh and the last 3 days we WILL be on property at Wilderness Lodge if that helps?

help? advice?

Vester

Ok I'm new here so be gentle with me haha!

We are going a couple weeks before DD 4th bday, and want to let her know that her "friends" at DW are thinking of her :)

We have rezzies at CP for breakfast, Jungle Donald for breakfast and CRT for lunch. The CRT is on our last day, and I was truly thinking of doing something there since it is sort of the most "magical" - what can I get? There are only 3 of us, and frankly, she would be happy with a cupcake haha - so we just want some special attention on her without spending $75 dollars or anything out of the world....

Oh and the last 3 days we WILL be on property at Wilderness Lodge if that helps?

help? advice?

Vester

What about the slipper at CRT. It costs about $20.. so it won't break the bank. I know there are a few pics of it earlier on in the thread. I'll go see if I can find a picture for you.:goodvibes

EDIT:: here is a picture of the slipper... taken from this thread
http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=31173316&postcount=232

Just wondering,

Thanks!

We were there December, two months ago. We had dinner at 1900 park faire, and wanted to return to MK for Ev. Magic hrs. We were staying at YC, so returning to the resort was not really an option.

They boxed the cake up for us and we carried it to bell services where it was stored in the fridge, until we could return to the GF later that night to pick up the cake. DH returned around 1:30 that morning when we left MK and picked up the cake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter