• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Official 2017 Star Wars - Light Side Half Marathon Weekend (Jan 12th - 15th, 2017)

I used this to book yesterday - it's my first time using RunDisney's site to do it instead of waiting for the DLR calendar window to include January.

Does anyone know if I can use the DLR reservation page to make payments on my balance, or will it all hit my credit card 30 days out? I know I can call RunDisney but wanted to check with you fine folks too.

DL hasn't traditionally had that mucb functionality in their website. But you could call to make payments.

As for final, it doesn't look like there's anything automatic. Did a fake booking until I found this:

Final Payment info:

Final Payment is due 30 days before travel. Guests who book within 30 days of travel will pay in full at time of booking. Disney reserves the right to cancel without notice when deposit or final payment is not received by the due date. It is the responsibility of the guest to call and make final payment.

I did the 5K in 2015, this will be my first 10K here, I don't have a time to send runDisney, so I guess I'll be in the last corral. Does anyone know when that starts?

I did the 5K in 2015, this will be my first 10K here, I don't have a time to send runDisney, so I guess I'll be in the last corral. Does anyone know when that starts?

You don't need to send a time for a 10k. They put you in a corral based on the pace you selection during registration.

Awesome - did the Dopey, Castaway Challenge and Rebel Challenge earlier this year (couldn't get the Star Wars 5K in as we were returning that morning to Port Canaveral on Fantasy and racing to catch flights from MCO to SNA to make it before registration closed). We did run the Castaway 5K twice - first was the challenge run held at 7:30am on the island (two medals) and second was the standard race for non-challenge runners at 9:00am (one medal). 13 medals in 10 days - good luck on your January runs!!!

Glad to know I'm not alone in my craziness. This is what I'm doing this year! I didn't know you could run the 5K twice on CC though.

The problem here is you can't choose the type of room. If you get a regular room, you will get woken up on days you don't have a run with all the noise. I'll wait until it comes online so i can choose a room where you are not facing the finish and start.

Guess this is based on prior experience? Good to know. Would a certain tower be better to be away from the start? Despite having stayed several times at the DLH, I can never remember the different towers!

Guess this is based on prior experience? Good to know. Would a certain tower be better to be away from the start? Despite having stayed several times at the DLH, I can never remember the different towers!

You can request a certain tower but no guarantee you will get it. I don't know the names of towers either but most of the standard rooms have been in towers closest to finish and start. I have been in high floors in the main tower (where you check in) and the one next to it and you can hear it from high up as well. The building toward paradise pier hotel might be higher level rooms since they look toward california adventure which would be a park view room. You will hear the early morning music from the start and finish if you get a standard in the two buildings as they will face the finish and start line.

The only hotel that has alot of rooms with some quiet is grand california assuming you do not get a room over downtown disney or a park view where the course runs through california adventure.

Last edited:
The problem here is you can't choose the type of room. If you get a regular room, you will get woken up on days you don't have a run with all the noise. I'll wait until it comes online so i can choose a room where you are not facing the finish and start.

Ahh, I see. Is this is less of an issue at Paradise Pier, perhaps? In any event, I'm planning to stay on East Coast time since it's a short trip so I will be up early Saturday morning, music or no music. Since there is not much else to do at that hour we will be spectators - I'm packing my cowbell! Or maybe think of a really funny sign - I know I appreciated those during my last half

You can request a certain tower but no guarantee you will get it. I don't know the names of towers either but most of the standard rooms have been in towers closest to finish and start. I have been in high floors in the main tower (where you check in) and the one next to it and you can hear it from high up as well. The building toward paradise pier hotel might be higher level rooms since they look toward california adventure which would be a park view room. You will hear the early morning music from the start and finish if you get a standard in the two buildings as they will face the finish and start line.

The only hotel that has alot of rooms with some quiet is grand california assuming you do not get a room over downtown disney or a park view where the course runs through california adventure.

Thanks for the info. I figured it's best to reserve now. I can always change later.

Just checked DLH for the DL Half Marathon. It's $50 cheaper/night for the DLH in Sept!!!

Rock 'n Roll Seattle's rundisney exhibitor was offering $25 off today for SW (and Avengers and DL Half). I nearly fainted; I said to the guy "the race JUST went up for sale"... I was shocked.

Also? Annoyed.

Oh well.

Yeah! I was shocked too! My only consolation was that they didn't have the Challenge discounted. Otherwise I would have been bugged!

Rock 'n Roll Seattle's rundisney exhibitor was offering $25 off today for SW (and Avengers and DL Half). I nearly fainted; I said to the guy "the race JUST went up for sale"... I was shocked.

Also? Annoyed.

Oh well.

I was just going to post the same thing! I was so shocked they had Star Wars up there - and we were all sitting here panicking trying to get in and got charged way more. >:( I thought originally the $25 discount was to account for price increases, but dang runDisney. Just start throwing those discounts our way!

Checked the exhibitor list and it appears they wont be at any future races - so they must sign up last minute to participate(?) I'll keep my eyes peeled - still have RNR Chicago, Montreal, San Jose, St Louis, Vancouver, Los Angeles and Vegas to participate in this year (maybe San Antonio if I can get the $$ for the flight). Knowing that CA races aren't filling up as fast... if you only want to do a half marathon, then it may be the best way to sign up at a race near you.

Note to self: I really must start TRAINING for half marathons. (I have RnR Vancouver in October and then Star Wars then Princess) Oh gracious I hurt so much today after RnR.

I'd been nursing the peroneus longus tendon, babying it so I didn't hurt, but oh now I hurt everywhere else LOL.

I was the one swearing like crazy in the last mile or so, if anyone else did the Half yesterday. :) Also I swore with every other step as I made myself climb the stairs in the parking structure to get my car, because ya gotta walk it out! It was good for my legs but there were definitely some bad words! :)

With the corrals out on Disneyland Drive, those over the entrance can get noise, too.

But I talked to *several* people at Star Wars, and both employees and people staying at the Grand alike said that there was very little noise from the event. That's just anecdotal, but of course it's always going to be that, and also subjective. I sleep with earplugs and DH and DS never wake from noise (unless it's the sound of birds, then DS wakes up), so no matter where we stay we would likely not hear events outside the window. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter