Official 2016 Dopey Challenge Thread

Very awkward. I'll tell you, and anyone else who wants to hear it, the whole story at DATW :)

6 mile run in a deluge today. The trail that I run on was a river 1-3 inches deep. Crazy.

3 miles done Wednesday, 6 miles coming up this morning, and a 5k in full Darth Vader armor at the CASA Superhero Run in Austin this Sunday! Gonna be a good week training.

I'm curious is people are planning to run or walk the half marathon before the full? In my case I want to save myself for the full so I will likely walk much of the half marathon...I want to have the best chance of finishing under 4hrs if possible.

I'm doing no park time during Dopey, so my plan is to run the first three and run/walk the marathon. I have no time goal for the marathon other than finishing.

It's my first Marathon Weekend, first marathon, and first Dopey, so I'm just looking to finish and not get swept. Considering I did pretty good in full Vader armor for my 5K Sunday (16:24 pace in 80+ degree weather) I think I'm doing better than I thought training wise

I'm not running this year, but last year, I took it easy for the 5k and 10k, ran a little harder for the half, and even harder for the full since I had a very specific time I had to get. The only problems with running the full for a specific time are a) no real chance to stop and take pictures, and b) the beer stop at mile 24 isn't very long. We also hit the parks every day for a few hours. Staying at BW made that easy to do.

I'm curious is people are planning to run or walk the half marathon before the full? In my case I want to save myself for the full so I will likely walk much of the half marathon...I want to have the best chance of finishing under 4hrs if possible.

The half seems to be the race that the highest number of people take easy. I think a lot of common sense factors play into those decisions, but Jeff Galloway also flat out recommends that people walk much of the half if they are doing Dopey or Goofy. Many people who earned their way into the forward corrals walk as part of their strategy for Sunday, which make the course very congested. Not that all of the races aren't congested, but the half the last couple of years has been the worst culprit in my eyes. I had planned on taking the half easy the last couple of years but then ended up running it 85-90% capacity to get into relatively less densely packed areas of the course quicker. I will probably do the same this year. I don't think it has affected my performance too much in the marathon, but I haven't been running toward a particular target so I am not entirely sure.

One thing that has played a factor for me as well has been the consideration of getting off of my feet. Walking seems like it could be a really good strategy but, for me personally, it works slightly different muscle group and being out there for ~3 hours rather than ~2 hours doesn't appeal to me greatly. The marathon fatigues me, but foot pain (not blisters or injury, rather "you've been on your feet too long and need to sit down" pain) has been the thing I am most anxious to alleviate in my last few miles of a marathon. Don't know if this is common to others or not.

My plan is to just run based on how I feel with character stops and walks at water stops cause I can't drink while running and not go crazy in the half. If I start hurting I will probably go to a walk versus a slow jog, as sometimes a slow jog messes my knees up more than a walk & my pace is the same.

I do know walking uses different muscles so I work in walks on all my runs now at beginning and end and as well as some during too, just to get used to walking properly and not over striding on the walk. My problem is no matter what plan I have most likely I will change it that day of that race. There's no way I could walk the whole half though, that would drive me batty, unless I was injured or really hurting.

I will stop for a whole lot of pictures, but I won't walk much in any of the races. I hate the way it disrupts my focus.

I'm not saying I'm going to walk the entire half, just meant I will be taking it super easy with possibly a 10min pace or higher to avoid being wiped.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter