• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

off-site for universal/seaworld?

dtripli

DIS Veteran
Hi Everyone
We are planning a road trip for April. We want to do a few days in Orlando before heading to the beach. We are looking for a nice resort in close proximity to Universal as we plan to do a couple of days there and one at Sea World. It will be me, hubby and our 13 year old son. We like nice amenities ie. pools, tiki bar, fitness center, on-site restaurant etc... Looking forward to hearing back....and if it is a larger property please recommend any requests we should make to be in the center of the action, like building request and such.

Hi Everyone
We are planning a road trip for April. We want to do a few days in Orlando before heading to the beach. We are looking for a nice resort in close proximity to Universal as we plan to do a couple of days there and one at Sea World. It will be me, hubby and our 13 year old son. We like nice amenities ie. pools, tiki bar, fitness center, on-site restaurant etc... Looking forward to hearing back....and if it is a larger property please recommend any requests we should make to be in the center of the action, like building request and such.
Portofino Bay
Lowes Royal Pacific (Polyesian Theme)

If you are looking for an affordable but still very comfortable stay, there is a new Wyndham Garden Inn right by Universal that opened earlier in 2020. On the downside, it probably doesn't have the amenities you are really looking for.

Wyndham Garden Orlando Universal / I Drive | Orlando, FL Hotels (wyndhamhotels.com)

For a better hotel with plenty of amenities, a good location, and great service I highly recommend the Hyatt Regency. Prices vary pretty drastically here just depending on what is going on at the time, but you can get some pretty great rates for what they are offering.

Family Friendly Orlando Resort | Hyatt Regency Orlando

If you are looking for an affordable but still very comfortable stay, there is a new Wyndham Garden Inn right by Universal that opened earlier in 2020. On the downside, it probably doesn't have the amenities you are really looking for.

Wyndham Garden Orlando Universal / I Drive | Orlando, FL Hotels (wyndhamhotels.com)

For a better hotel with plenty of amenities, a good location, and great service I highly recommend the Hyatt Regency. Prices vary pretty drastically here just depending on what is going on at the time, but you can get some pretty great rates for what they are offering.

Family Friendly Orlando Resort | Hyatt Regency Orlando
Thank you...I'll check it out

We just did a SW stay and LOVED the Hilton Grand Vacations at SeaWorld. LOVED.

Thank you for responding, but I was looking for "off-site". I should have reiterated that in my post.

On site hotels that the pp listed at Universal offer Express Line access. Just show your room key, like an unlimited Fast Pass. In addition to the 2 listed, the Hard Rock Hotel also offers Express Line access.
Once you try it, you're instantly spoiled. JMHO but we will never visit USO without staying at one of those 3 hotels. Royal Pacific is the least expensive but I always check all 3.

On site hotels that the pp listed at Universal offer Express Line access. Just show your room key, like an unlimited Fast Pass. In addition to the 2 listed, the Hard Rock Hotel also offers Express Line access.
Once you try it, you're instantly spoiled. JMHO but we will never visit USO without staying at one of those 3 hotels. Royal Pacific is the least expensive but I always check all 3.
You also get the special boat that drops you off right in front of Universal on the City Walk. So you don't have to go through the parking lot, walkway.

You also get the special boat that drops you off right in front of Universal on the City Walk. So you don't have to go through the parking lot, walkway.
I had forgotten all about that. We usually stay at HRH or RPR and it’s a short walk from either of those. Portofino was nice but it’s the farthest of the 3.
OP, I would definitely browse around the Universal threads of the Disboards. They have a wealth of knowledge to make the most of your visit which they are happy to share.

We love Sheraton Vistana Resort. The villas are spacious and beautiful, and there are a ton of resort amenities. It's a quick and easy drive up Palm Parkway/Turkey Lake Road to Universal (or you have the option of taking the I4), and an equally easy jaunt down Vineland and International Drive to SeaWorld. In December, it took us 14 minutes from the resort to the Universal parking garage....and it's maybe 10 minutes to SW.

You could often pick up deeply discounted weeks on Skyauction, though I haven't checked their inventory since Covid became a factor. I'd try there first, though, to see if you can snag a deal.

The resort has 7 pools, 6 hot tubs, 13 tennis courts, 2 sand volleyball courts, 2 basketball courts, on-site mini golf, shuffleboard, and playgrounds in virtually every section. There are 3 poolside bars, a full service restaurant, and a marketplace that serves Starbucks coffee. There is no resort fee, and in most phases, you literally park at your door. Most villas have a view of a water feature, either a pond or a pool.

Thanks to all for your feedback. I am torn between the Sheraton Vistana Villages and Hilton Grand Vacations Sea World.... I suppose it isn't such a big difference. I am just hoping that by April all of these places will have their amenities and activities all open (due to Covid)

Thanks to all for your feedback. I am torn between the Sheraton Vistana Villages and Hilton Grand Vacations Sea World.... I suppose it isn't such a big difference. I am just hoping that by April all of these places will have their amenities and activities all open (due to Covid)
We stay at vistana.. there is a great thread on here for current info.

the location of Grand Vacations, you could literally walk to Sea World.

Vistana is much further away.

You are driving so you will have a car which makes things a lot easier and more convenient. One of my favorite resorts for that area is Westgate Lakes. Access to I-4 to get to Universal and SeaWorld is literally less than a mile down the road. Come out of the resort and turn left and the Walmart on Turkey Lake Road is only about a half mile away. Almost walking distance. Sometimes when I stay in other areas, I always take a quick trip to over to the Turkey Lake Road Walmart. It is sort of "My First Love". I have so many fond memories of that Walmart and Westgate Lakes. I suggest renting a unit from an owner. If the waterpark has been completed and is open, the owner should be able to provide their guests free passes to it. I recommend using Redweek to rent from an owner no matter which resort you choose. Good luck and have a FANTASTIC vacation!!!

I totally agree with TamaraQT. Westgate lakes is really nice, and they have done a ton of work last year. As well the location is pretty dang good, you could easily get to Universal, Sea World, Disney Springs fairly quickly.

As previous poster said, I would look at what staying on sight at Universal gives you such as Express line access... Which is really nice, and some other perks... It might make it worth it...

I'm all about running the numbers - What you need, What you want and What are really going to use while staying there... We have friends that always stay at a value, because they are a rope drop to park closing kinda family, so just showering and sleeping, and the pool is perfect for a quick swim, We have other friends that pony up for Deluxe accommodations, as they love laying buy the pool, and pool drinks, and spending only a few hours here and there in the parks... So totally how you like to vacation should come into the process...

Orange Lakes is another resort that you might want to look into, while not close to the parks (Disney is closest park, it is right on the 429 toll road and that makes it easier to get around) it does offer the amenities that you are looking for, and our friends just got a really really good rate for a week, so for them price and amenities was the deciding factor... they are AP holders at WDW, and Universal... and with a car you can get around...

Good Luck in your search...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter