October or the week after Thanksgiving

theostwalts

DIS Veteran
Here's another timing question for all of you DL experts. I have been looking at some weeks in October, but I have also seen where the week after Thanksgiving is a good week to go as well. I have been to WDW during that week, but I am new to planning a trip to DL. Would you recommend the week after Thanksgiving? Or would would another week in October (or Nov for that matter) be better?

TIA

Well, let me start off by saying that my personal choice of the two options you mentioned would be the week after Thanksgiving.

But... let me ask you -- which holiday do you prefer? Are you more of a Halloween person, or more of a Holiday Season/Christmas time person? That will largely influence my answer to you.

I love both Halloween Time and the Holidays at Disneyland Resort, but I prefer the Holidays because that season is more all-encompassing and immersive. Both parks and all 3 hotels (as well as Downtown Disney) get in on the Holiday action in some way, either with entertainment or décor or both.

Halloween Time, on the other hand, is fun -- and I recommend experiencing it at least once -- but it is very underdeveloped. The Halloween fun is basically centered in Disneyland park and not in California Adventure. And even then, the Halloween décor is mainly on Main Street and in Frontierland. Haunted Mansion Holiday (the Nightmare Before Christmas overlay of the Haunted Mansion) is available for both Halloween Time and the Holidays, so you can see it either time. Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy is exclusive to Halloween Time.

I think that the Holidays are worth seeing, because It's a Small World Holiday is fantastic and the themed decorations in each land are great. Also, shows like Viva Navidad in California Adventure are lively and joyous.

The time frame after Thanksgiving week is good because many people have finished their Thanksgiving breaks and gone back to school and work, and it is still too early for Christmas breaks. The parks will still be busy, as the holidays are popular, but the crowds shouldn't be as heavy as they would be a couple of weeks later. You might run into crowds in October at certain points too. Personally, if I am going to encounter crowds and I can only choose one season to enjoy, I am going to go for the one that offers more bang for my buck -- and that is the Holiday season (mid-Nov-Dec-early Jan.)

But if you are more of a Halloween fan, I don't think you'd be disappointed with what Disneyland park offers for that holiday. There are pumpkins above the turnstiles and along Main Street, as well as around the Hub and at the Halloween Carnival (at Big Thunder Ranch). And there is also Mickey's Halloween Party on select nights through October. MHP includes Halloween Screams fireworks -- which are great -- and a mini-parade/Cavalcade.

What your saying is Halloween or Christmas?? And all the other Dec. Celebrations?

Well, let me start off by saying that my personal choice of the two options you mentioned would be the week after Thanksgiving.

But... let me ask you -- which holiday do you prefer? Are you more of a Halloween person, or more of a Holiday Season/Christmas time person? That will largely influence my answer to you.

I love both Halloween Time and the Holidays at Disneyland Resort, but I prefer the Holidays because that season is more all-encompassing and immersive. Both parks and all 3 hotels (as well as Downtown Disney) get in on the Holiday action in some way, either with entertainment or décor or both.

Halloween Time, on the other hand, is fun -- and I recommend experiencing it at least once -- but it is very underdeveloped. The Halloween fun is basically centered in Disneyland park and not in California Adventure. And even then, the Halloween décor is mainly on Main Street and in Frontierland. Haunted Mansion Holiday (the Nightmare Before Christmas overlay of the Haunted Mansion) is available for both Halloween Time and the Holidays, so you can see it either time. Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy is exclusive to Halloween Time.

I think that the Holidays are worth seeing, because It's a Small World Holiday is fantastic and the themed decorations in each land are great. Also, shows like Viva Navidad in California Adventure are lively and joyous.

The time frame after Thanksgiving week is good because many people have finished their Thanksgiving breaks and gone back to school and work, and it is still too early for Christmas breaks. The parks will still be busy, as the holidays are popular, but the crowds shouldn't be as heavy as they would be a couple of weeks later. You might run into crowds in October at certain points too. Personally, if I am going to encounter crowds and I can only choose one season to enjoy, I am going to go for the one that offers more bang for my buck -- and that is the Holiday season (mid-Nov-Dec-early Jan.)

But if you are more of a Halloween fan, I don't think you'd be disappointed with what Disneyland park offers for that holiday. There are pumpkins above the turnstiles and along Main Street, as well as around the Hub and at the Halloween Carnival (at Big Thunder Ranch). And there is also Mickey's Halloween Party on select nights through October. MHP includes Halloween Screams fireworks -- which are great -- and a mini-parade/Cavalcade.

Hmmm.... That's hard to say. I have done both at WDW. If I had to choose at WDW I would probably rotate every year or so between Halloween and Christmas. I actually enjoy MNSSHP a little more than MVMCP because the Halloween parade seems just a little better to me. However the overall decorations at Christmas time are better.

I've never been to DL and I am wanting to go mainly for the 60th celebration but I would probably do a nightly party if one was going on during my trip.

Hmmm.... That's hard to say. I have done both at WDW. If I had to choose at WDW I would probably rotate every year or so between Halloween and Christmas. I actually enjoy MNSSHP a little more than MVMCP because the Halloween parade seems just a little better to me. However the overall decorations at Christmas time are better.

I've never been to DL and I am wanting to go mainly for the 60th celebration but I would probably do a nightly party if one was going on during my trip.

The mini-parade/Cavalcade in our Mickey's Halloween Party is nothing like Boo to You at WDW. I've never seen Boo to You, but most people who have seen both say that the two don't even compare. Boo to You is an actual parade, whereas we have a mini-parade/Character Cavalcade. No Headless Horseman. No Grave Diggers. None of that. However, our Halloween Screams fireworks are great -- assuming that those are the fireworks that are shown this year (which we don't yet know).

So far we do not have a hard ticket Christmas party -- all of the events are part of the regular seasonal entertainment. This year, the events of the 60th will replace the Christmas parade, the holiday fireworks and the holiday World of Color show. But there is still so much more to the season in general. (For Halloween Time, the hotels are not decorated, California Adventure is not decorated, etc.)

I think it really boils down to which holiday you feel like celebrating or enjoying more this year, because the 60th anniversary shows are going to carry on all year long -- until at least the end of the year and into 2016.

Also of note is that the Holiday season (which is peak season) will actually have longer hours and extended schedules for certain things on some nights, whereas October -- as popular as Halloween Time is -- will have shorter hours on certain nights (the first half of Fall is technically considered off season, even though it's busy!).

The mini-parade/Cavalcade in our Mickey's Halloween Party is nothing like Boo to You at WDW. I've never seen Boo to You, but most people who have seen both say that the two don't even compare. Boo to You is an actual parade, whereas we have a mini-parade/Character Cavalcade. No Headless Horseman. No Grave Diggers. None of that. However, our Halloween Screams fireworks are great -- assuming that those are the fireworks that are shown this year (which we don't yet know).

So far we do not have a hard ticket Christmas party -- all of the events are part of the regular seasonal entertainment. This year, the events of the 60th will replace the Christmas parade, the holiday fireworks and the holiday World of Color show. But there is still so much more to the season in general. (For Halloween Time, the hotels are not decorated, California Adventure is not decorated, etc.)

I think it really boils down to which holiday you feel like celebrating or enjoying more this year, because the 60th anniversary shows are going to carry on all year long -- until at least the end of the year and into 2016.

Also of note is that the Holiday season (which is peak season) will actually have longer hours and extended schedules for certain things on some nights, whereas October -- as popular as Halloween Time is -- will have shorter hours on certain nights (the first half of Fall is technically considered off season, even though it's busy!).

Sounds like November would be better. When you say holiday season is peak season, that makes me think of wall to wall crowds since I only have WDW peak crowds to compare to. How crowded is the week after Thanksgiving? I probably would be in the parks Monday through Friday. What would you say average wait times for attractions are around then?

Sounds like November would be better. When you say holiday season is peak season, that makes me think of wall to wall crowds since I only have WDW peak crowds to compare to. How crowded is the week after Thanksgiving? I probably would be in the parks Monday through Friday. What would you say average wait times for attractions are around then?

No, it won't be wall to wall crowds that early in December (between Christmas and New Year's is when the wall to wall fun begins!), but the holidays are popular. Halloween Time is popular, too -- even though Disneyland considers that part of Fall to be their off season, it sure doesn't seem very 'off' at times!:lmao: The 60th anniversary is drawing in lots of park guests this year too, but that hasn't even been going on for a full month yet, so it will be interesting to see how the crowds progress for the rest of the year in light of the new nighttime shows..

As I mentioned earlier, that week after Thanksgiving week -- which is around the timeframe I like to go when I do my holiday season trips -- is good because a lot of the Thanksgiving break folks have gone back to work and school, and it's too early for Christmas break.

If you go in October and want a less crowded time, I would maybe go in the week before Halloween week, or at least several days before Halloween. Earlier in the month there are various things happening that could cause crowds in the parks (school breaks, Gay Days, a Utah Educators conference, etc.).

Wait times -- I'm not sure. I've gotten in line for Haunted Mansion Holiday when it said it would be a 20-minute wait and it ended up just being 10 minutes. Other times I have gotten in line when the line was supposed to be about one hour, and it took about 45 minutes. It's a Small World Holiday may say that it has a wait of 45 minutes, but we could actually end up on the ride in 25 minutes. A lot of times the lines will move much faster than they look like they are going to move. Sometimes they are as slow as molasses, but other times the lines zip right along! :lmao:

This is so helpful for me. I am in the same boat for planning next year in 2016. We are going sometime mid sept to dec.

How is the full week before thanksgiving week in crowds?

If I had to pick...I would say week after Thanksgiving for the Christmas setup.

But, like Sherry E all but states...there isn't a bad choice. Decorations and theming are strong for both periods.

Two of rides at DLR that are far superior to their WDW versions have closures to set-up/tear-dwon from their season versions.
  • IASW closes sometime in October to prepare for IASW Holiday. IASW in DL is worth seeing, it uses the original World Fairs Pavilion, and is much nicer inside with more up to date dolls, and Disney characters. IASW Holiday is it at it's best
  • Space Mountian Closes right after Halloween to remove Ghost Galaxy.
Haunted Mansion Holiday, as noted above, opens at Halloween Time and runs all the way through New Years.

We've done both. If you're going in October, try to avoid Arizona and Utah's Fall breaks. Those bring a lot of people into the parks. I love Christmas at Disneyland more than Halloween (despite how many times we've been there in October) so I'd pick after Thanksgiving. The crowds were manageable when we went after Thanksgiving but the weather was not as good. But it's Disney. You can't go wrong either way.

How is the full week before thanksgiving week in crowds?
My favorite time of year at DLR is HalloweenTime, but the Holidays are a lot of fun as well. I've gone during the full week before Thanksgiving and it's a good time to go. The crowds were okay last year (weekdays at least), with a noticeable uptick in crowds on the weekends (Fri afternoon through Sunday). Much of the Holiday decor and activities are underway, but a few things didn't get started until later into the season (e.g., the Gingerbread house in GCH). Fireworks should be nightly (as is WoC) once the Holiday season official starts. F! will be running on the weekend only schedule until later into December (and during Thanksgiving week). It's worth noting that November 12-15 is the Avengers Half Marathon, so the parks and resort will be busy that weekend.

My favorite time of year at DLR is HalloweenTime, but the Holidays are a lot of fun as well. I've gone during the full week before Thanksgiving and it's a good time to go. The crowds were okay last year (weekdays at least), with a noticeable uptick in crowds on the weekends (Fri afternoon through Sunday). Much of the Holiday decor and activities are underway, but a few things didn't get started until later into the season (e.g., the Gingerbread house in GCH). Fireworks should be nightly (as is WoC) once the Holiday season official starts. F! will be running on the weekend only schedule until later into December (and during Thanksgiving week). It's worth noting that November 12-15 is the Avengers Half Marathon, so the parks and resort will be busy that weekend.

It would be for 2016, we would avoid race weekends for sure. Would probably fly in on a sat and stay for 6 nights.

We can go anytime Mid sept and on. Mid sept scares me after having 108 with humidity three years ago.

Sorry, missed that it was for 2016. So while the dates might change a little, the Avengers Half Marathon (assuming they have it in 2016) would likely be around the same time, which would be November 11 to 13 or there about (the first weekend ahead of the full week before Thanksgiving).

Sorry, missed that it was for 2016. So while the dates might change a little, the Avengers Half Marathon (assuming they have it in 2016) would likely be around the same time, which would be November 11 to 13 or there about (the first weekend ahead of the full week before Thanksgiving).

hmm..sounds like might rule that time out and go in October or first week of dec. My original pick was for May 2016 but our baby will be only 4 months and DH would prefer baby to be over 6 months.

hmm..sounds like might rule that time out and go in October or first week of dec. My original pick was for May 2016 but our baby will be only 4 months and DH would prefer baby to be over 6 months.

I'd go during the first week in December, unless you enjoy Halloween as a holiday more. December is not as hot and there's a lot more to see at Disneyland Resort during that time than during October.

When you say the first week in December, do you mean the first full week in December or the week that ends with the starting of December? I ask because the first weekend in December has lately been when they've had the Candelight Processional event in DL. While it doesn't pull in the crowds that the marathon weekends do, it does tend to mean that DL is impacted (larger crowds, especially on Main Street) that it would be without CP.

In terms of the Avengers Marathon weekend, it does impact the crowds in the park on Sat and Sun, especially if you're trying to drive to the park around opening. The parks were busy on Sunday (DTD was really busy on Sat), but the lines weren't awful. The crowds thinned out pretty quickly and by Monday most attractions had fairly short lines and it was pretty easy to move around the park (even with a stroller). The other benefit to mid-November is that you have a better chance of having more of a selection of the holiday merchandise. Things (some items entirely, others it's just specific sizes) do start to run out in December, so it's something to keep in mind if you're doing some holiday shopping. (I went the full week before Thanksgiving last year and then again in the second week in December and there were items no longer available and sizes that were getting hard to find.)

When you say the first week in December, do you mean the first full week in December or the week that ends with the starting of December? I ask because the first weekend in December has lately been when they've had the Candelight Processional event in DL. While it doesn't pull in the crowds that the marathon weekends do, it does tend to mean that DL is impacted (larger crowds, especially on Main Street) that it would be without CP.

In terms of the Avengers Marathon weekend, it does impact the crowds in the park on Sat and Sun, especially if you're trying to drive to the park around opening. The parks were busy on Sunday (DTD was really busy on Sat), but the lines weren't awful. The crowds thinned out pretty quickly and by Monday most attractions had fairly short lines and it was pretty easy to move around the park (even with a stroller). The other benefit to mid-November is that you have a better chance of having more of a selection of the holiday merchandise. Things (some items entirely, others it's just specific sizes) do start to run out in December, so it's something to keep in mind if you're doing some holiday shopping. (I went the full week before Thanksgiving last year and then again in the second week in December and there were items no longer available and sizes that were getting hard to find.)

Thank You.

For December it would be fly in the the sat of the first full week of dec, so a full week after thanksgiving.

Mid nov is ideal to me since Dec just gets crazy busy and heck its a few weeks sooner so less waiting to do :)

I mainly want weekdays, going to do a 5 day tickets, but thinking I will need a weekend night to do the fireworks and maybe paint the night. Not worried about F! seen it over there in the past and live close enough to WDW.

Early December is not crazy busy, for the most part. It's busy, but that can be said of almost any month at DLR these days. Early December is when I usually go for my main holiday trip (though I will pop in for a day when the season starts in mid-November), and I wouldn't go during that time if it were crazy busy. In fact, I stopped going later in December and started going earlier in the month to avoid the increasing crowds.

I mainly want weekdays, going to do a 5 day tickets, but thinking I will need a weekend night to do the fireworks and maybe paint the night. Not worried about F! seen it over there in the past and live close enough to WDW.
Like all things with Disneyland, it's hard to know for sure what will be happening from year-to-year. It's possible that things will be very different in 2016 than they have been in previous years, but assuming that 2016 is similar to previous years, fireworks should be presented nightly once the holiday season starts in mid-November. We don't know yet how things will go with the PtN, but I would guess it will also be presented nightly during the holiday season (although we don't have a "history" for that parade yet to base any decisions). WoC is also likely to be nightly. F! will probably only be presented on weekends during the periods you're considering, but it's worth noting that the DLR and WDW versions are different. While they do have some elements that are similar, they also have some very substantial differences. I like the seating arrangement at DHS a lot more, but the show at DL is better. In other words, I wouldn't rule out DL's version of F! just because you can see or have seen DHS' version.

Mid nov is ideal to me since Dec just gets crazy busy and heck its a few weeks sooner so less waiting to do :)
It depends on what you mean by crazy busy and at what point something is crazy busy to you. I do think early December weekdays are busier than mid-November weekdays, but they aren't yet approaching the really busy level that you see in mid-to-late December. Rides won't be walk-on, but the lines won't be hours long either (in most cases - RSR always seems to have hour+ lines). The only thing that was really busy in both mid-November and early-December was the parade route (we do not know if the Christmas Parade will be returning in 2016 or not). I do like the logic that going in mid-November means you'll have to wait a few weeks less for your trip! :rotfl:

Like all things with Disneyland, it's hard to know for sure what will be happening from year-to-year. It's possible that things will be very different in 2016 than they have been in previous years, but assuming that 2016 is similar to previous years, fireworks should be presented nightly once the holiday season starts in mid-November. We don't know yet how things will go with the PtN, but I would guess it will also be presented nightly during the holiday season (although we don't have a "history" for that parade yet to base any decisions). WoC is also likely to be nightly. F! will probably only be presented on weekends during the periods you're considering, but it's worth noting that the DLR and WDW versions are different. While they do have some elements that are similar, they also have some very substantial differences. I like the seating arrangement at DHS a lot more, but the show at DL is better. In other words, I wouldn't rule out DL's version of F! just because you can see or have seen DHS' version.

It depends on what you mean by crazy busy and at what point something is crazy busy to you. I do think early December weekdays are busier than mid-November weekdays, but they aren't yet approaching the really busy level that you see in mid-to-late December. Rides won't be walk-on, but the lines won't be hours long either (in most cases - RSR always seems to have hour+ lines). The only thing that was really busy in both mid-November and early-December was the parade route (we do not know if the Christmas Parade will be returning in 2016 or not). I do like the logic that going in mid-November means you'll have to wait a few weeks less for your trip! :rotfl:

We have actually seen Disneylands F! :)

We have been to DL in May, June and Mid Sept in the past.

I think crazy busy when everything is long lines I guess and hard to move around. I refuse to go to WDW in the summer, spring break and christmas week. But love mid nov there and the first week of dec isn't too bad.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter