October GTY watch

I never received an email last year when we were GTY. We used a travel agent so maybe they received an update?

You have to check your reservation on the disney cruise page. Sign in and go to My Reservations, then go to Reservation Summary.

Where it says Stateroom: There will be a cabin number once you are assigned one. This is what mine looks like right now. Hoping for a cabin number very soon!

Sail Date: October 12, 2013
Ship: Disney Fantasy
Stateroom: Room # GTY, Category 06B, Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom with Verandah

And no...they don't email the TAs either.

Do you really save a lot of $$$ by getting a GTY? I've never done this and would be concerned about getting a good location. Those of you who have done this, has it worked to your advantage?

Do you really save a lot of $$$ by getting a GTY? I've never done this and would be concerned about getting a good location. Those of you who have done this, has it worked to your advantage?

You save no $ by booking a GTY. You usually save $ by booking a IGT, OGT, or VGT.

And yes, with both of those type of bookings you could end up anywhere on the ship. Not our cup of tea either. :)

You save no $ by booking a GTY. You usually save $ by booking a IGT, OGT, or VGT.

And yes, with both of those type of bookings you could end up anywhere on the ship. Not our cup of tea either. :)

Ok, if you don't save any money by booking a GTY, what is the point? I thought there was a savings on the room rate.

GTY rates *are* generally lower than regular rates. Otherwise, no one would bother!

That's not true. GTY is not a rate, but a status. If DCL has let's say 12 Cat 5E cabins and 10 are booked, the Cat goes into GTY status, at the same rate or sometimes more. This guarantees that you'll get a Cat 5E or higher.

That is why people 'bother' with booking a category in GTY status - the possibility of an upgrade. Check the GTY thread - a fair number of people get a cabin in the category they book.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Originally Posted by mrssmiddy
Ok, if you don't save any money by booking a GTY, what is the point? I thought there was a savings on the room rate.
GTY rates *are* generally lower than regular rates. Otherwise, no one would bother!

Well, you kinda do save and you kinda don't. For instance, we booked a 5e GTY. When we booked, all of the rooms in that category were already taken, according to the website, so we booked at that category GTY. The price we paid was the going rate for the 5e's, so if that is what we end up getting, we won't really save any money. However, part of booking a GTY is that you are guaranteed that classification or better, so if we end up getting an upgrade, we will have paid the 5e rate for a better cabin, so then we will have saved money.

The VGT, IGT, etc. rates are last-minute discounts and are a totally different thing.

That's not true. GTY is not a rate, but a status. If DCL has let's say 12 Cat 5E cabins and 10 are booked, the Cat goes into GTY status, at the same rate or sometimes more. This guarantees that you'll get a Cat 5E or higher.

That is why people 'bother' with booking a category in GTY status - the possibility of an upgrade. Check the GTY thread - a fair number of people get a cabin in the category they book.

We've booked GTY rates twice; both times at a lower price than the category had been just prior to going into GTY "status" so I guess it varies.

For us, it's been a savings. :)

We've booked GTY rates twice; both times at a lower price than the category had been just prior to going into GTY "status" so I guess it varies.

For us, it's been a savings. :)

Excellent for you :) We booked GTY twice - once back in 2005 and once in 2011. In 2011, the GTY was the same price. Can't remember back to 2005 LOL!

You usually save $ by booking a IGT, OGT, or VGT.

Glad you said 'usually.'

Both cruises we booked opening day (-10% from moving a dummy date) that offered VGT rates later on would not have been a deal for us. June 2012 Fantasy we paid $3900 for 2A 1C in a Cat 5E and had $475 OBC ($200 from our TA & $275 from the CC OBC). The VGT rate was $4200-4300; more expensive especially when you factor in the $275 OBC loss. Now, that's just for us; a Cat 4 is more costly, so that may have been cheaper. A similar thing happened for our Dec 2012 Fantasy cruise; VGT was more costly than opening day pricing -10% from moving a dummy date.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter