• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

October 2015 PTR: a “Halloweenie” and her Fearless Companion conquer their first HHN!

Eek, sorry to hear about Sweetie. Yeah, young love does not always work out. At least it happened now and not during the holidays.

Almost there, wahoo!

Don't think me awful for saying this, but.....the break up is a good thing. The writing on the wall has been there since last spring, and it needed to happen. While we fully accepted Sweetie into our family (as we would anyone who Jake takes a shine to), she wouldn't have been our pick for a long-term partner for him. And we really wanted him to have his last year of college to be a college guy, without being tied down or having to miss out on special events because it was upsetting to a girlfriend. They are both very young and have their whole lives and futures ahead of them. I think, being unattached, it will allow Jake to consider many more different options once he wraps up his final year in the spring. So being purely selfish and looking at things ONLY from the perspective of Jake's mom, I am not at all unhappy. I am empathetic to both sides though, just in case you think I'm totally heartless.

Of course, the ending came with a little drama (hard to avoid when feelings are involved), but things have quieted down. I honestly think that the fact that she knows she's missing out on another much-anticipated Orlando vacation made the whole situation even harder than it would have been on its own. She's feeling the burn emotionally and losing financially to boot.

Well of course you look at things only from the perspective of being Jake's mama ;) I know what you mean though, it's always hard to watch people go through rough times, no matter what you think of the ultimate outcome, especially when it involves your child. That's too bad on the Orlando trip getting tangled up in it, but if things were rocky anyway it's best it ended way before the trip and not right before (or on it). Glad things have quieted down.

You don't sound awful at all Gina. I was going to reply earlier today that I get it because dd is also not with the person I see for her, but that he's a nice enough guy and that dh and I were just letting it play out because we had no strong objections. We were just sort of "meh" about the whole thing. I didn't post because I ended up getting sidetracked.
Then Dd texted me a half hour ago that boyfriend came to visit her at school this weekend and they broke up this afternoon.:eek:
How's that for timing..we were just talking about this in your thread today!!!!!!
I suppose the writing has been on the wall for awhile here too, but I wasn't expecting it quite this soon after she left. In fact, I kind of worried she would just stay in the relationship out of habit even though it isn't really good for her. We'll see if it's permanent though she's thinking it is.
Luckily he wasn't booked on any trips with us. I always thought that was so sweet of you to bring sweetie. We've brought dd's best friend before but my dh would have rathered die than bring the boyfriend on vacation I think.:rolleyes1
Dd seems ok right now. I think this is just the beginning of a very rough patch for her even though she initiated the break up. This parenting of young adults is not for the squeamish~!

Eek, sorry to hear about Sweetie. Yeah, young love does not always work out. At least it happened now and not during the holidays.

Almost there, wahoo!

Have you started packing yet, Lynne? I was almost tempted to get out the suitcases this weekend and start getting things organized. Good thing it was so nice outside....I fought the urge and went for a walk instead (well, two walks actually!!).

Well of course you look at things only from the perspective of being Jake's mama ;) I know what you mean though, it's always hard to watch people go through rough times, no matter what you think of the ultimate outcome, especially when it involves your child. That's too bad on the Orlando trip getting tangled up in it, but if things were rocky anyway it's best it ended way before the trip and not right before (or on it). Glad things have quieted down.

Amen to having it dissolve now rather than later. Always thankful for small blessings :) .

You don't sound awful at all Gina. I was going to reply earlier today that I get it because dd is also not with the person I see for her, but that he's a nice enough guy and that dh and I were just letting it play out because we had no strong objections. We were just sort of "meh" about the whole thing. I didn't post because I ended up getting sidetracked.
Then Dd texted me a half hour ago that boyfriend came to visit her at school this weekend and they broke up this afternoon.:eek:
How's that for timing..we were just talking about this in your thread today!!!!!!
I suppose the writing has been on the wall for awhile here too, but I wasn't expecting it quite this soon after she left. In fact, I kind of worried she would just stay in the relationship out of habit even though it isn't really good for her. We'll see if it's permanent though she's thinking it is.
Luckily he wasn't booked on any trips with us. I always thought that was so sweet of you to bring sweetie. We've brought dd's best friend before but my dh would have rathered die than bring the boyfriend on vacation I think.:rolleyes1
Dd seems ok right now. I think this is just the beginning of a very rough patch for her even though she initiated the break up. This parenting of young adults is not for the squeamish~!

Oh pigletto, that's so tough....especially when your DD is away at school. I bet she feels very far away right now. Hugs to you both.....this is one of those times that can't be easy for either of you :hug: .

I agree wholeheartedly.....its tough stuff to watch your kids deal with the intense emotions that their relationships bring on. I have said to Steve more than once over the past few weeks that we didn't appreciate the terrible two's nearly enough ;) . The good thing is, these kinds of experiences make them better people in the end. Some of the best lessons come out of the hardest moments. I like to think its all for the best (and its sounds like the same is true for your DD....a mom's intuition is generally right).

I wish we were in India, or one of the countries that still regularly practice arranged marriages. Your DD could marry my Jake :teeth: . Think of the grand Orlando family vacations we could plan if that were the case!!! :rotfl2::rotfl:

LOL:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

Now that cheered me up.:rotfl:

I think you are completely right. There's no stopping the hard lessons. You just have to let them happen and be there for support. I think in the long run it sounds like they'll both come out of this ok.

Now back to your trip planning! Are you getting scared for Halloween Horror nights?:scared1:

LOL:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

Now that cheered me up.:rotfl:

I think you are completely right. There's no stopping the hard lessons. You just have to let them happen and be there for support. I think in the long run it sounds like they'll both come out of this ok.

Now back to your trip planning! Are you getting scared for Halloween Horror nights?:scared1:

Lord almighty, I'm absolutely terrified for HHN. I wonder every day why I thought it was a good idea!!

I've been watching tons of HHN videos (walk throughs of the houses and scare zones, overviews of the events) trying to prepare myself as much as I can. I've watched The Purge, The Purge 2, Insidious, Sinister, The Conjuring, and now Ouija (we're watching the last one right now, actually!!) to get myself hardened and ready....but its not working. I'm still a 'fraidy cat :rotfl2: .

Hahahahahaha... you've given yourself horror homework.:rotfl::rotfl:
You are doing better than me. I don't know if I could even watch the movies.:eek:

I'm not a clown fan either. The things we do for our loved ones!

Not packed yet. I do it last minute. Not an early flight, so plenty of time. No dog to give me a sad face either. Kids seem ok with it, and DH is always good about it. So, I'm ready!

Ahh, the your kid dating. I'll be that mom soon. :crazy2:

Sing John Denver now, -- I'm leaving on a jet plane......

my fav pool @ SV, took us while to find it our 1st trip lol.

I have never offered to take my DSs significant others along on a trip until they were hitched, young love can be so capricious. Is your DS still looking forward to the trip?

Yay! You're there! I guess then I can say....."Welcome Home" :) .

So glad you are happy with your villa in the Fountains. I simply adore that section of the resort :cloud9: . I hope you guys have an awesome vacation, and that the rest of your time at SVR is fantabulous!

If you have a minute, could you check on something for me? Just wondering what day of the week they're having the Gatorland visit these days. Curious if it has changed since August. I do love me some gators :teeth: .

Hi Gina. The gator show is Wednesdays at 2pm at the Super pool. Sorry to hear of the break up. Sometimes things happen for a reason and this seems to be one of those times!!

Hahahahahaha... you've given yourself horror homework.:rotfl::rotfl:
You are doing better than me. I don't know if I could even watch the movies.:eek:

I could not go to HHN! Even when I run across a picture I get freaked out.

Sheesh you two!!! I was looking for a little "hey, you'll be fine, it won't seem near as scary as you're thinking it might be" kind of reassurance.....not the validation that my feelings of dread are justified :eek:. Some moral support you guys are :rotfl2: .

I just hope our RIP tour guide makes a few stops for bathroom breaks along the way. I am thinking this won't be the time to test the volume of my bladder :rolleyes1 .

I'm not a clown fan either. The things we do for our loved ones!

Not packed yet. I do it last minute. Not an early flight, so plenty of time. No dog to give me a sad face either. Kids seem ok with it, and DH is always good about it. So, I'm ready!

Ahh, the your kid dating. I'll be that mom soon. :crazy2:

Sing John Denver now, -- I'm leaving on a jet plane......

I had to look up the John Denver song....I saw the lyrics and immediately thought Chantal Kreviazuk.....:) .

my fav pool @ SV, took us while to find it our 1st trip lol.

I have never offered to take my DSs significant others along on a trip until they were hitched, young love can be so capricious. Is your DS still looking forward to the trip?

It's my favourite pool too. Love, love the music from the Tiki Bar playing away in the background (and the steel drummer that sometimes comes to play his island-inspired tunes). I cannot wait to spend some time poolside.

Jake is looking forward to the trip even more than before, I think ::yes:: . We have a great time together, the three of us. And Christmas is set to be a very relaxing, go-with-the-flow, non-parks trip.....a perfect break after his first semester concludes. He much prefers those kinds of getaways versus the commando vacations. I see multiple days of sleeping until 11 in his future.

Hi Gina. The gator show is Wednesdays at 2pm at the Super pool. Sorry to hear of the break up. Sometimes things happen for a reason and this seems to be one of those times!!

Thanks for that info!! I doubt we'll be able to squeeze it into the October trip (that's our HHN day) but I want to see if I can work it into the plans for December.

The break-up is absolutely a positive move. In fact, he told me on Friday that he wishes now he had done it long ago. Hindsight is 20/20.

Hope you guys are having a fabulous time, and that the weather is favourable!! :sunny:

Sheesh you two!!! I was looking for a little "hey, you'll be fine, it won't seem near as scary as you're thinking it might be" kind of reassurance.....not the validation that my feelings of dread are justified :eek:. Some moral support you guys are :rotfl2: .

I just hope our RIP tour guide makes a few stops for bathroom breaks along the way. I am thinking this won't be the time to test the volume of my bladder :rolleyes1 .

LOL! Sorry about that! :)

young love hits hard. Sometimes i think it's more difficult watch kids go thru things when they are adults.

all clowns are scary imo = a good thing lol.

suggest watching "It" for this guy

th
pennywise:thumbsup2

LOL! Sorry about that! :)

LOL....I will forgive you.....this time ;). In the future, feel free to lie to me. I like living in my bubble :rotfl2: .

young love hits hard. Sometimes i think it's more difficult watch kids go thru things when they are adults.

all clowns are scary imo = a good thing lol.

suggest watching "It" for this guy

th
pennywise:thumbsup2

That picture alone kind of creeps me out :eek: . I'm with you.....there's just something wrong about clowns in general. How they ended up to be the centerpiece of children's birthday parties, I will never ever understand.

LOL....I will forgive you.....this time ;). In the future, feel free to lie to me. I like living in my bubble :rotfl2: .

That picture alone kind of creeps me out :eek: . I'm with you.....there's just something wrong about clowns in general. How they ended up to be the centerpiece of children's birthday parties, I will never ever understand.

wait until you meet Jack @ HHN lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter