October 2015 PTR: a “Halloweenie” and her Fearless Companion conquer their first HHN!

I had to laugh when I read that your DH big part of the trip is planning the meals. My DH is the same! He also enjoys his desserts on vacation, there are many times we haven't tried a new resturant because he didn't like their dessert selections!! :rotfl2:
My mouth is watering after seeing the pic of the cheese cake, oh I could go for a slice of that baby with a hot cup of coffee now!!

We are big dessert lovers while on vacation, too (for the most part, we try to minimize our indulgences on a day-to-day basis at home.....but on when on holiday, we splurge with no regrets!!). No cheesecake for me, though :sick: ... I've never developed a taste for that stuff. I detest cream cheese in general. My dad was the same....he always used to tell us as kids "if God meant us to eat sour milk, he would have soured it in the cow" (and yes, he considered cream cheese to be soured dairy!!).

Yeah, we go early and get out early, Aug 4 is start date and May 22 is end date, so it's kind of nice because most are still in school til mid June and vacation spots are not quite as busy. :) In SC where I grew up we didn't go until Labor Day either and got out early to mid June, so it's a change for sure. I bet that is bittersweet, my oldest is going to 10th grade this fall, I am like how in the world did she grow up soo fast?? I will definitely cry when she goes off to college.

Bummer about the exchange rate, maybe it'll change for the better once it's closer to time!? That's a ways off, let's think positive LOL :) Since my hubbys family is Canadian, we keep wanting to make a trip up, they live in the Sarnia area I believe. He has of course been up, but not in 15 years and the kids and I have never been. I want to visit his family and of course make a trip to Niagara Falls etc. One day!

I need to check that site out! I don't think you'll be too horribly bad in Oct, esp compared to say Summer. Hopefully it'll be pleasant! Ha, I don't know that I am creative, I found the designs on facebook groups for the cameo lol and I used Peace, Love and Happiness a lot in school, so it popped in my head to do bananas. Those designs were done on freezer paper, made stencils, I just ironed it on and painted the colors I wanted :) Simple to do!

With our dollar so low, now would be a fantastic time for you to make that visit to Niagara Falls! (Christmas is also a fun time to go.....so cool to see the ice formations made by the frozen mist). Its a wonderful place for a family vacation, somewhere we usually go at least once a year. Your girls would have a blast! If you ever do decide to make the trek north, Great Wolf Lodge is a great place to stay.

I'm not expecting the exchange rate to improve in the short term, unfortunately. One of the benefits of working for two financial planners is that I tend to get a bit of an inside scoop as to the why's of what's happening in the market (and what is forecast to occur....not that they are always right, but they're often pretty darn close). Things look like they might get even worse before they get better.....so we're preparing for that as much as possible. At worst....we'll be happily surprised if it doesn't get as bad as they suggest it might.

I have to take my kids to Niagara Falls at some point. What else is fun to do around there? I haven't been there in years!

I have to take my kids to Niagara Falls at some point. What else is fun to do around there? I haven't been there in years!

Oh, there's so much to do!! ::yes::

As far as Falls attractions go, both the US and Canadian sides are worth spending some time at. On the American side, the Cave of the Winds is my #1 suggestion (and in fact, its my favourite Falls attraction of them all.....so freaking amazing!). The Maid of the Mist boat ride is a must-do for a first time visitor, too. And I love the Observation Tower....its not really an "attraction" but a great (albiet windy) place for some stunning views of the Falls and Niagara River. There's a little cone-shaped kiosk called Twist of the Mist that's just outside the State Park property that's a super place to go for some tasty ice cream. Just down the river is a restaurant called the Silo which we love.....it was featured on Man v. Food. Delicious vittles, huge portions, and again, a sparkling view of the Niagara River from the outdoor seating area.

There is also a small aquarium (the Niagara Aquarium) on the US side of the Falls. Its pretty tiny but worth a visit once, if you're into marine life.

A short drive from Niagara Falls is a little town called Lockport. They have a neat little boat tour through some underground caves. There's also a relaxing cruise down the Erie Canal where you can see the locks.

On the Canadian side, our favourite attractions are:

- The Maid of the Mist (now called Hornblower Cruises)
- Journey Behind the Falls
- The Butterfly Conservatory
- The Spanish Aerocar

(all of which are Niagara Parks Commission attractions, along with the Whitewater Walk, the Floral Showhouse, and Niagara's Fury.....we have done them all but the last one)

We also have really, really enjoyed

- Great Wolf Lodge
- Bird Kingdom
- Greg Frewin
- Niagara Skywheel
- Fireworks over the Falls (free)
- a multitude of Clifton Hill attractions (Dinosaur golf, Madame Tussaud's, Movieland Wax Museum, etc.....there's always a multi-attraction pass that you can buy where you get 4 or 5 different cheesy things to do for a discounted price)
- The Festival of Lights (Christmas time only)

Definitely skip Marineland. Its just sad, sad, sad. If you have ever been to Seaworld you would be woefully disappointed.

Here's a few of our videos from some old trips that show a smidgen of what Niagara has to offer:

http://tripwow.tripadvisor.com/tripwow/ta-01ff-fcfe-38c4?ln

http://tripwow.tripadvisor.com/tripwow/ta-020c-fae4-3d2d?ln

http://tripwow.tripadvisor.com/tripwow/ta-020f-9b00-5cca?ln

http://tripwow.tripadvisor.com/tripwow/ta-021f-e9f6-2e2c?ln

Last edited:
We are big dessert lovers while on vacation, too (for the most part, we try to minimize our indulgences on a day-to-day basis at home.....but on when on holiday, we splurge with no regrets!!). No cheesecake for me, though :sick: ... I've never developed a taste for that stuff. I detest cream cheese in general. My dad was the same....he always used to tell us as kids "if God meant us to eat sour milk, he would have soured it in the cow" (and yes, he considered cream cheese to be soured dairy!!).

Funny thing is at home we hardly ever indulge with desserts after dinner?? But on vacation we throw caution to the wind and enjoy a desert after dinner. Maybe overindulge! :rotfl2:But with all the walking at WDW and Universal we walk it off.

I know how you feel about cream cheese, I dislike puddings or jello. To me it's like eating baby food! I guess it's the texture, because I can give or take ice cream and it has to be hard ice cream with something mixed in it not plain.

What your father said about eating sour milk is hilarious!! :rotfl2: No sour cream for you or your dad either.....

hope you hit Millers Ale House, you'll like it.

we did niagra falls about 4 years back.
the canadian side is so much more lovely than the american side.
big difference when you are looking over on the other side.

maid of the mist is a given to do for visiting that area.
we really enjoyed it.

Oh, there's so much to do!! ::yes::

As far as Falls attractions go, both the US and Canadian sides are worth spending some time at. On the American side, the Cave of the Winds is my #1 suggestion (and in fact, its my favourite Falls attraction of them all.....so freaking amazing!). The Maid of the Mist boat ride is a must-do for a first time visitor, too. And I love the Observation Tower....its not really an "attraction" but a great (albiet windy) place for some stunning views of the Falls and Niagara River. There's a little cone-shaped kiosk called Twist of the Mist that's just outside the State Park property that's a super place to go for some tasty ice cream. Just down the river is a restaurant called the Silo which we love.....it was featured on Man v. Food. Delicious vittles, huge portions, and again, a sparkling view of the Niagara River from the outdoor seating area.

There is also a small aquarium (the Niagara Aquarium) on the US side of the Falls. Its pretty tiny but worth a visit once, if you're into marine life.

A short drive from Niagara Falls is a little town called Lockport. They have a neat little boat tour through some underground caves. There's also a relaxing cruise down the Erie Canal where you can see the locks.

On the Canadian side, our favourite attractions are:

- The Maid of the Mist (now called Hornblower Cruises)
- Journey Behind the Falls
- The Butterfly Conservatory
- The Spanish Aerocar

(all of which are Niagara Parks Commission attractions, along with the Whitewater Walk, the Floral Showhouse, and Niagara's Fury.....we have done them all but the last one)

We also have really, really enjoyed

- Great Wolf Lodge
- Bird Kingdom
- Greg Frewin
- Niagara Skywheel
- Fireworks over the Falls (free)
- a multitude of Clifton Hill attractions (Dinosaur golf, Madame Tussaud's, Movieland Wax Museum, etc.....there's always a multi-attraction pass that you can buy where you get 4 or 5 different cheesy things to do for a discounted price)
- The Festival of Lights (Christmas time only)

Definitely skip Marineland. Its just sad, sad, sad. If you have ever been to Seaworld you would be woefully disappointed.

Here's a few of our videos from some old trips that show a smidgen of what Niagara has to offer:

http://tripwow.tripadvisor.com/tripwow/ta-01ff-fcfe-38c4?ln

http://tripwow.tripadvisor.com/tripwow/ta-020c-fae4-3d2d?ln

http://tripwow.tripadvisor.com/tripwow/ta-020f-9b00-5cca?ln

http://tripwow.tripadvisor.com/tripwow/ta-021f-e9f6-2e2c?ln

Thanks Gina! Definitely something to keep in mind for next summer. And looks like there are tons of other fun things to do, I think the kids would like it now. There is nothing like standing near those falls, they are just amazing!

Thanks Gina! Definitely something to keep in mind for next summer. And looks like there are tons of other fun things to do, I think the kids would like it now. There is nothing like standing near those falls, they are just amazing!

Amen, sister! :thumbsup2

But with all the walking at WDW and Universal we walk it off.

That's what we tell ourselves, too! :teeth: And don't forget all the swimming in the resort pools, too. That counts for something as well, right? ;)
What your father said about eating sour milk is hilarious!! :rotfl2: No sour cream for you or your dad either.....

Dear God, no!! :scared: Same goes for cottage cheese, blue cheese, and feta cheese. Yes, we had (have?) a lot of food hang ups :laughing: .

hope you hit Millers Ale House, you'll like it.

we did niagra falls about 4 years back.
the canadian side is so much more lovely than the american side.
big difference when you are looking over on the other side.

maid of the mist is a given to do for visiting that area.
we really enjoyed it.

We LOVED Millers Ale House :love: . Steve has made me promise we'll go back on Prime Rib Night. He's still talking about that meal two and half months later!!

So....what have we covered so far? Getting there, accommodations, dining? Some of this might be redundant (considering our last trip in May), but let's talk attractions.

With annual passes in hand, this is going to be primarily a Universal trip once again. With some new stuff thrown in for good measure....after all, its a family rule that each vacation needs to include at least a few new experiences :).

Our Premier Annual Passes mean we will have free reign of both parks for our entire vacation, which is awesome. Parking is also free, so we can do a few hours here and a couple hours there if we decide we don't want to spend a full day (due to weather, tiredness, crowds, or what have you).

We still have some items on our Universal to-do list to conquer, so this will be far from a repeat of May's getaway. Aside from a few new dining experiences discussed above (Mythos, Hot Dog Heaven, Thunder Falls), we've pledged to try Hot Butterbeer (just so we can say we've tried every form) and a Fishy Green Ale. There are a few rides we didn't experience on the last trip (Disaster and Twister to name two....though I'm not sure if the latter will be closed for the announced refurb by mid October) and there's a selection of rides that I'm going to give a go for the first time (Spiderman, as Steve has assured me that I will live to tell the story, and Popeye & Bluto's Bilge Rat Bargers on a day right before we are planning to leave the park so I'm not walking around for hours soaking wet). I still have to meet Gru (if I have to track him down with the help of Guest Services, I will!!) and I want to catch the Cinematic Spectacular (as well as Diagon Alley at night....I can't wait to see the Dragon breathe his fire in the dark!). Of course, we're also doing a full evening at Halloween Horror Nights on Wednesdayn October 14th. We've booked an RIP tour to ensure we get to see every house and every scare zone, as well as the Bill & Ted show, over the course of that single night. It was much more expensive for those tour tickets than I had expected :crazy2: (thank heavens our HHN admission tickets were a free perk of the Premier AP's) but I think it will turn out to be a good value considering our limited opportunity to experience that special event. I am sure, as we walk past the hoards of people waiting in the regular and Express lines, we'll pat ourselves on the back for not cheaping out on the tour.

Outside of Universal, I have purchased tickets for CSI: The Experience through Livingsocial and World of Chocolate Museum & Cafe tickets via Groupon. The plan is to use those on our final day before heading to the airport, as we don't have to drop off our rental vehicle until 3:30 p.m. We figure we'll check out of the resort, enjoy a nice breakfast somewhere, do CSI (they open at 10 am), have lunch, visit World of Chocolate, and then make the pilgrimage to MCO. Both are attractions we have wanted to visit (Steve has wanted to do CSI for years, and World of Chocolate has been on my radar since it opened......a musuem that's totally dedicated to chocolate, what's not to love? :love:). I would also not be averse to picking up a mini golf Groupon for the trip if any of the local courses extend a good discounted offer between now and our departure date.....there's one for Lost Caverns on Groupon right now, but alas the offer ends just 8 days before we arrive :headache:.

And finally.....there's the surrey bikes at the Vistana, along with some time at the resort (enjoying the recreational amenities and whatever special events happen to be running at the time). We're foregoing a day at the beach to just kick back and relax at the Vistana, and that's soooo appealing. We really need to do that more often when we're on holidays.

In the midst of it all, I sincerely hope that we'll get the chance to meet a few of the other Disers who are also travelling during that time period, even if only for a few moments to say hello in person. There's at least a few regular posters who have vacation dates that co-incide with ours :thumbsup2.

It's too early for me to see what the crowd levels are projected to be according to Touringplans (I don't have a membership, so I can only see the information that's extended to the general public.....so that data is still about a month off). Orlando Informer, however, notes Saturday 10/10, Sunday 10/11, and Monday 10/12 as "moderate", Tuesday 10/13 and Wednesday 10/14 as "slow", Thursday 10/15 "moderate" and Friday 10/16 and Saturday 10/17 as "busy". Definitely a chance from the crowd projections on th first week of May, when most days were "slow" and none were "busy". I am thinking our after-4 pm Express with our AP's will come in much handier this time!

I have also taken a look at our preliminary cost figures. Let me tell ya, I think I need a drink :rolleyes2 .

Adding it all up.......

Ø Buffalo park & fly hotel: $ 123.99 ($151.88 CDN)

Ø Trip insurance (medical & general): $ 0.00 (free with my Visa)

Ø Roundtrip, direct flights (Jetblue): $903.00 ($1,156.06 CDN) (includes round trip upgrades to Even More Space seating)

Ø Car rental: $161.49

Ø Fuel for rental car: $50.00 (estimated)

Ø Vistana Accommodations (yearly maintenenace fees on our 2 bedroom, 2 bath villa) $906.88 ($1,036.20 CDN)

Ø Food, tips and misc. supplies: $1,000.00 (estimated)

Ø Universal Premier Annual Passes: $0.00 (free – paid @ May 2015 trip)

Ø Universal Photoconnect Annual Pass: $ 0.00 (free – paid @ May 2015 trip)

Ø World of Chocolate Groupons: $16.00 ($19.74 CDN)

Ø CSI The Experience Livingsocial Vouchers $24.00 ($30.06 CDN)

Ø Halloween Horror Nights RIP Tour $307.00 ($377.06 CDN)

Ø “Other” $ 250.00 (estimated)

GRAND TOTAL: $3,530.87..............$207.91 per person, per day: 8 nights, 9 days total

:faint: It is more than I thought. Not outrageous, but still more than I had expected.....especially when Universal is essentially "free".

Now, it could turn out to be very less expensive than what's listed. I doubt we will spend $1000 on food, drinks and snacks, but I like to estimate high (I would rather have left-over funds to put toward the next trip than to be feeling guilty for having another butterbeer). The $250 for other may or may not be spent, but again....I like that buffer in case we have an unexpected opportunity for a neat experience or a unique purchase. The car rental may also go down further, and we might not use $50 in gas (particularly with no trips planned to the coast).

All prices include tax, and the cost with the exchange factored in is also listed. So thankful I paid our Vistana fees when the dollar was so much higher!

Great list of to-dos! I think the tour will be very worth it once you are there.

Your price isn't that bad for all of the things you are doing. It is always a bit shocking when you add it up though :scared:

Hi Gina! We're leaving for the Tennessee mountains tomorrow. Of course, last night my trusty old mini-van (100K+ miles) had the Check Engine light come on and started idling rough. I think I fixed it, but decided to bite the bullet and rent a small SUV. I got a decent deal, and it's probably better to beat the heck out of a rental than my vehicle! It's like the old joke: What's the best off-road vehicle? A rental car!

Whoo, I hope I do not average that per day. Most expensive is my hotels. Airfare is 1/3 of yours, and no hotel needed night before. My rental is 20 dollars less, so a little more expensive for almost 2 less days. I need to keep checking for discounts. None for Orlando so far.

I too like renting a car, even though I have to pay the parking fee at the hotel. I will definitely eat some meals outside the resort.

Great update.

In the midst of it all, I sincerely hope that we'll get the chance to meet a few of the other Disers who are also travelling during that time period, even if only for a few moments to say hello in person. There's at least a few regular posters who have vacation dates that co-incide with ours :thumbsup2.

It's too early for me to see what the crowd levels are projected to be according to Touringplans (I don't have a membership, so I can only see the information that's extended to the general public.....so that data is still about a month off). Orlando Informer, however, notes Saturday 10/10, Sunday 10/11, and Monday 10/12 as "moderate", Tuesday 10/13 and Wednesday 10/14 as "slow", Thursday 10/15 "moderate" and Friday 10/16 and Saturday 10/17 as "busy". Definitely a chance from the crowd projections on th first week of May, when most days were "slow" and none were "busy". I am thinking our after-4 pm Express with our AP's will come in much handier this time!

you better have me on your list of a quick meet and greet..
i'll be there for 13 days and will be at hhn on the 14th for sure.
i plan on 6 nights for hhn this year.

did you apply your ap for the tour discount when you booked?
i did for the private RIP tour i booked for the 9th and there was a computer glitch realized by the TM after the fact.
i did get the credit of about $200 back on my cc quickly.
whew !
i always request the ap discount on anything i do at the darkside.
i know the private tour allows the ap discount and at one time the public rip tours did also.

i don't buy that crowd listing your read on OI.
this will be my 10th year going over the columbus day weekend and i see crowds growing each year.
i usually start my stay at the darkside around the 2nd or 3rd of october and leave for home around the 16th of the month.

yes, the 16th and 17th will be very busy in the parks....
saturday the 10th and the sunday, 11th, is more than moderate crowds the past 2 years.
with many having monday off work for columbus day, it brings in a lot of locals, especially if the weather is ideal.
last year on columbus day, the park was full of tour groups......i'll leave it at that....

the tuesday that followed was moderate and the wednesday was slow.
thursday was definetly moderate as many do the weeknights knowing that coming weekend will be packed.

wednesday has been only hhn nights from the middle of the month to the end.
this year wednesday is in the line up for hhn for the entire month.

last year i did that wednesday and saw all the houses, bill/ted show, rhps and walked thru the scare zones all done by 10:15.
lightest crowd i experienced last year for hhn...

hell week will bring in more crowds that week you (and i) will be there.
that makes me feel wed, thurs could have more crowds this year on hhn
that weekend will be busy, OI has that one correct!

i think after the second week of hhn going on, we will hear and read more about the crowd levels.
the 14th has an earlier than the rest of the week closing.
makes me lean towards it not being a crowded night for hhn.

you should have gone for the thursday rip tour instead of wednesday if my thoughts are right.

i always buy the monthly hhn pass with express.
i don't have long lines to deal with and can cover everything in the parks.

when i break it down, it's more in line of what i would pay for 3 nights with express.
really 2.75 nights.....
the ap discount this year for tickets and hhn season pass isn't as great as it was 2 years ago but it does take the sting out of the price for me.

are you doing the day tour for hhn?
(unmasking the horror tours)
it is well worth it and you are in a small group and allowed to take pictures, videos and get more detailed info from the tour guide.

Yep, walking and swimming burns all the calories we consumed enjoying our treats at Walt Disney World and Universal!! That's our story and we're sticking to it! :rolleyes1
Oh I sure have a food hangup also with puddings and jello! :rotfl2:

you better have me on your list of a quick meet and greet..
i'll be there for 13 days and will be at hhn on the 14th for sure.
i plan on 6 nights for hhn this year.

Absolutely!! :) I wouldn't miss it!!

did you apply your ap for the tour discount when you booked?
i did for the private RIP tour i booked for the 9th and there was a computer glitch realized by the TM after the fact.
i did get the credit of about $200 back on my cc quickly.
whew !
i always request the ap discount on anything i do at the darkside.
i know the private tour allows the ap discount and at one time the public rip tours did also.

Yep, we got the AP discount :thumbsup2 . Regular tour price was $159.99 if I remember correctly. I think we saved 10% with our AP, because the price was reduced to $140-something.

i don't buy that crowd listing your read on OI.
this will be my 10th year going over the columbus day weekend and i see crowds growing each year.
i usually start my stay at the darkside around the 2nd or 3rd of october and leave for home around the 16th of the month.

yes, the 16th and 17th will be very busy in the parks....
saturday the 10th and the sunday, 11th, is more than moderate crowds the past 2 years.
with many having monday off work for columbus day, it brings in a lot of locals, especially if the weather is ideal.
last year on columbus day, the park was full of tour groups......i'll leave it at that....

the tuesday that followed was moderate and the wednesday was slow.
thursday was definetly moderate as many do the weeknights knowing that coming weekend will be packed.

wednesday has been only hhn nights from the middle of the month to the end.
this year wednesday is in the line up for hhn for the entire month.

last year i did that wednesday and saw all the houses, bill/ted show, rhps and walked thru the scare zones all done by 10:15.
lightest crowd i experienced last year for hhn...

hell week will bring in more crowds that week you (and i) will be there.
that makes me feel wed, thurs could have more crowds this year on hhn
that weekend will be busy, OI has that one correct!

i think after the second week of hhn going on, we will hear and read more about the crowd levels.
the 14th has an earlier than the rest of the week closing.
makes me lean towards it not being a crowded night for hhn.

Yep, we're expecting it to be much more crowded than our May trip. Thank goodness we have the after-4 Express....I think there will be some days we will be very grateful for that!! I will be interested to see how the Tourinplans projections compare to OI :scratchin.

you should have gone for the thursday rip tour instead of wednesday if my thoughts are right.

i always buy the monthly hhn pass with express.
i don't have long lines to deal with and can cover everything in the parks.

when i break it down, it's more in line of what i would pay for 3 nights with express.
really 2.75 nights.....
the ap discount this year for tickets and hhn season pass isn't as great as it was 2 years ago but it does take the sting out of the price for me.

Our actual HHN tickets were free with our Premier AP's, so all we had to buy was the RIP tour. We opted for the Wednesday night tour versus the Thursday one due to cost.....Thursday was $20 pp more than Wednesday, plus taxes. If our dollar was closer to par, it wouldn't have been as big an issue, but we paid $70 in exchange as it was :crazy2: .

are you doing the day tour for hhn?
(unmasking the horror tours)
it is well worth it and you are in a small group and allowed to take pictures, videos and get more detailed info from the tour guide.

No day tour for us....unfortunately, its just not in the budget. Something for us to look forward to on a future trip! :goodvibes

Great list of to-dos! I think the tour will be very worth it once you are there.

Your price isn't that bad for all of the things you are doing. It is always a bit shocking when you add it up though :scared:

Just the reassurance I needed!! I showed Steve the numbers, and he wasn't horrified either. I think its just my frugal side fighting with my frivolous side.....like the little devil and angel on your shoulder :rotfl: .

Hi Gina! We're leaving for the Tennessee mountains tomorrow. Of course, last night my trusty old mini-van (100K+ miles) had the Check Engine light come on and started idling rough. I think I fixed it, but decided to bite the bullet and rent a small SUV. I got a decent deal, and it's probably better to beat the heck out of a rental than my vehicle! It's like the old joke: What's the best off-road vehicle? A rental car!

Happy travels to you, my friend! I hope you and the kiddos have an amazing time! :thumbsup2 I look forward to hearing about your adventures when you return.

Good call on the SUV rental.....peace of mind on a road trip is essential. Fingers crossed you have an uneventful commute and gorgeous whether while you're there!

Whoo, I hope I do not average that per day. Most expensive is my hotels. Airfare is 1/3 of yours, and no hotel needed night before. My rental is 20 dollars less, so a little more expensive for almost 2 less days. I need to keep checking for discounts. None for Orlando so far.

I too like renting a car, even though I have to pay the parking fee at the hotel. I will definitely eat some meals outside the resort.

Great update.

Airfare is always a killer for us. Even worse if we fly from Toronto....the taxes on flying from Canada are ridiculous. Of course, now the exchange is awful so we're damned if we do and damned if we don't :headache: .

We don't mind springing for the park and fly hotel, as its not that much more expensive than the cost of parking for the week at the airport and it means we can stretch our vacation out an extra day. I'm greedy :teeth: ....no matter how long they are, vacations are never quite long enough!!

With our dollar so low, now would be a fantastic time for you to make that visit to Niagara Falls! (Christmas is also a fun time to go.....so cool to see the ice formations made by the frozen mist). Its a wonderful place for a family vacation, somewhere we usually go at least once a year. Your girls would have a blast! If you ever do decide to make the trek north, Great Wolf Lodge is a great place to stay.

I'm not expecting the exchange rate to improve in the short term, unfortunately. One of the benefits of working for two financial planners is that I tend to get a bit of an inside scoop as to the why's of what's happening in the market (and what is forecast to occur....not that they are always right, but they're often pretty darn close). Things look like they might get even worse before they get better.....so we're preparing for that as much as possible. At worst....we'll be happily surprised if it doesn't get as bad as they suggest it might.

I really hope we can travel up that way in the next year or so, it will take some arranging because that's a long drive but I think much cheaper than 5 airline tickets! So many things to do and see! Bummer about the exchange rate :( I know you'll still have a great trip even if you can't do everything and I bet you end up scaling back on some stuff without really realizing and then you'll have a little more for your next trip! :)

So....what have we covered so far? Getting there, accommodations, dining? Some of this might be redundant (considering our last trip in May), but let's talk attractions.

With annual passes in hand, this is going to be primarily a Universal trip once again. With some new stuff thrown in for good measure....after all, its a family rule that each vacation needs to include at least a few new experiences :).

Our Premier Annual Passes mean we will have free reign of both parks for our entire vacation, which is awesome. Parking is also free, so we can do a few hours here and a couple hours there if we decide we don't want to spend a full day (due to weather, tiredness, crowds, or what have you).

We still have some items on our Universal to-do list to conquer, so this will be far from a repeat of May's getaway. Aside from a few new dining experiences discussed above (Mythos, Hot Dog Heaven, Thunder Falls), we've pledged to try Hot Butterbeer (just so we can say we've tried every form) and a Fishy Green Ale. There are a few rides we didn't experience on the last trip (Disaster and Twister to name two....though I'm not sure if the latter will be closed for the announced refurb by mid October) and there's a selection of rides that I'm going to give a go for the first time (Spiderman, as Steve has assured me that I will live to tell the story, and Popeye & Bluto's Bilge Rat Bargers on a day right before we are planning to leave the park so I'm not walking around for hours soaking wet). I still have to meet Gru (if I have to track him down with the help of Guest Services, I will!!) and I want to catch the Cinematic Spectacular (as well as Diagon Alley at night....I can't wait to see the Dragon breathe his fire in the dark!). Of course, we're also doing a full evening at Halloween Horror Nights on Wednesdayn October 14th. We've booked an RIP tour to ensure we get to see every house and every scare zone, as well as the Bill & Ted show, over the course of that single night. It was much more expensive for those tour tickets than I had expected :crazy2: (thank heavens our HHN admission tickets were a free perk of the Premier AP's) but I think it will turn out to be a good value considering our limited opportunity to experience that special event. I am sure, as we walk past the hoards of people waiting in the regular and Express lines, we'll pat ourselves on the back for not cheaping out on the tour.

Outside of Universal, I have purchased tickets for CSI: The Experience through Livingsocial and World of Chocolate Museum & Cafe tickets via Groupon. The plan is to use those on our final day before heading to the airport, as we don't have to drop off our rental vehicle until 3:30 p.m. We figure we'll check out of the resort, enjoy a nice breakfast somewhere, do CSI (they open at 10 am), have lunch, visit World of Chocolate, and then make the pilgrimage to MCO. Both are attractions we have wanted to visit (Steve has wanted to do CSI for years, and World of Chocolate has been on my radar since it opened......a musuem that's totally dedicated to chocolate, what's not to love? :love:). I would also not be averse to picking up a mini golf Groupon for the trip if any of the local courses extend a good discounted offer between now and our departure date.....there's one for Lost Caverns on Groupon right now, but alas the offer ends just 8 days before we arrive :headache:.

And finally.....there's the surrey bikes at the Vistana, along with some time at the resort (enjoying the recreational amenities and whatever special events happen to be running at the time). We're foregoing a day at the beach to just kick back and relax at the Vistana, and that's soooo appealing. We really need to do that more often when we're on holidays.

Spiderman wasn't too bad, do you not like spins or 3d? It is a little more intense than I was expecting but still fun :)

World of Chocolate? CSI?? Um I must google this! lol Sounds like a lot of fun and unique things planned for this trip! I was telling hubby the other day, when we go back, we're going to add a few days, we'll probably stay at one of the onsites for a night or two to get express/ee and then move over to FIL timeshare for the other 7 nights. This way we can break our park days up a little more, make sure we get all the rides we want done PLUS have some time to check out other things around Orlando, like eye. We saw it multiple times going to USO, so the kids are wanting to check it out. I love that you guys add something new each trip, what a great way to make new memories!

Bummer about the exchange rate :( I know you'll still have a great trip even if you can't do everything and I bet you end up scaling back on some stuff without really realizing and then you'll have a little more for your next trip! :)

That's actually what usually happens anyway ::yes::. When I budget for our vacations, I always tend to over-budget (intentionally, though....if we want something extra, or to splurge and order the most expensive entree on the menu, I don't want to feel guilty about doing so). That means there's almost always money left over as a healthy kick-start to the piggie bank for the next trip.

Spiderman wasn't too bad, do you not like spins or 3d? It is a little more intense than I was expecting but still fun :)

World of Chocolate? CSI?? Um I must google this! lol Sounds like a lot of fun and unique things planned for this trip! I was telling hubby the other day, when we go back, we're going to add a few days, we'll probably stay at one of the onsites for a night or two to get express/ee and then move over to FIL timeshare for the other 7 nights. This way we can break our park days up a little more, make sure we get all the rides we want done PLUS have some time to check out other things around Orlando, like eye. We saw it multiple times going to USO, so the kids are wanting to check it out. I love that you guys add something new each trip, what a great way to make new memories!

I'm okay with boh spinning and 3D, as long as its not too violent (its drops that freak me out). I did Minion Mayhem with no problems, and Escape from Gringotts......I am wondering if Spiderman is any more intense than those?

Our list of attractions we have conquered is getting pretty long. As of May 2015, these are the places we have been so far:

Ø Magic Kingdom
Ø Epcot
Ø Hollywood Studios
Ø Animal Kingdom
Ø Blizzard Beach
Ø Typhoon Lagoon
Ø Downtown Disney
Ø Universal Studios
Ø Islands of Adventure
Ø CityWalk
Ø Seaworld
Ø Aquatica
Ø Discovery Cove
Ø Showcase of Citrus
Ø Gatorland
Ø Wild Willy’s Airboats
Ø Titanic: The Experience
Ø Outta Control Dinner Show
Ø ICE! at Gaylord Palms
Ø Cocoa Beach
Ø Gator Golf
Ø Volcano Island Mini Golf
Ø Hawaiian Rumble Mini Golf
Ø Pirates Cove Mini Golf (2 locations)
Ø Congo River Mini Golf (2 locations)
Ø Mighty Jungle Mini Golf
Ø Haunting of Ghostly Greens Mini Golf
Ø Kissimmee Go-Karts
Ø Orlando Magic Game (Amway Center)
Ø Premium Outlets (Vineland)
Ø Premium Outlets (International Dr.)
Ø Lake Buena Vista Factory Outlets
Ø Nike Clearance Store & Nike Outlet (both in Kissimmee)
Ø Ron Jon Surf Shop (Cocoa Beach)
Ø Daytona Beach
Ø Ripley’s Believe It Or Not Museum
Ø Makaio Watersports – Jet Skiing (Lakes Minneola & Minnehaha)
Ø Orlando Eye
Ø Skeletons: Animals Unveiled

CSI: The Experience and World of Chocolate will be added to the list as of our October vacation. In December, some of the new places we'll be visiting are Wild Florida, Fun Spot America, Sea Life Aquarium, Madame Tussaud's Wax Musuem, and the "Now Snowing" events at Celebration (in addition to a few repeats, like the Eye, mini golf and Gatorland).

Wow! You've done a lot of attractions! Love reading your TR's and PTR's. Spider-Man is a great ride and you should give it a shot. Fun Spot on I drive is a cool little park. I took my son and nephew last year and we had a good time. I'm a sucker for wooden roller coasters and the one they have is a lot of fun. Good to hear you aren't going in the summer as there is no shaded areas and it is hot! I guess we will eventually check out aquatica and discovery cove one day. Those didn't exist when I lived in Orlando. I've swam with dolphins while living in Panama City beach when it was still legal to feed them, although swimming with dolphins would be cool for my kids since they have never experienced.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter