Oct 2017 vs May 2018

JoanneDisFan

DIS Veteran
I'm starting to plan my daughter's graduation trip to Disney World. She won't graduate until May 2018, but that gives me the time to save up the money and make the best plans. One of the options we are considering is using her fall break (she has 3 days off and would only miss 2 days)and taking her before graduation. Oct 14-21st, 2017. Our next choice is to wait till right after graduation and go. Looking at this year's graduation date as a guide I would estimate it to be May 20-27, 2018 and we would leave the day after her graduation ceremony.

Temperature and weather wise they look about the same. Price wise they look about the same, but that all depends on how much Disney raises their prices for 2018. It also looks like both those dates the only discounts would be room only with October getting a slightly better discount.

Any advice? My daughter is okay with either.

I've never been to Disney in October, so I can't comment on the weather. I do know that May was super hot when we went a few years ago. 1 plus about October that May doesn't have is the decorations. I can't wait to go during fall! However, with that said....I would go in May since that's when she's graduating. Good luck deciding!

I've been in October before, but have never been in May, at least not to Disney. So that is one benefit of May. Too bad they no longer do the Star Wars weekends or it would have been much easier to decide.

It sounds like your daughter is a senior in HS. I would do May, just so she is not having to miss school. I remember the first semester of senior year being really busy with applying to college, getting one last semester of good grades, and everything else that comes with that. If you were talking spring semester, I would say go ahead and go, but not for the fall.

Where are you from? Lots of people complain about the heat in May; however, we are from Houston and have enjoyed the comparably cooler temperatures in Orlando in early June. The weather effect largely depends on where you are coming from.

Having a HS senior, I would say October is very busy for them. College deadlines are coming up, very last testing is in October if they need one more shot at getting their SAT/ACT score higher. Also, depending on the college they may need to send in first quarter or first semester grades.

Don't forget about any dances, competitions, etc. senior year is such a hard time to plan a trip. We had a trip planned to universal in September and Dd18 had to end up flying into Orlando a day later because she wanted to take the SAT again. We were only going for 3 days to begin with!

I would say go in May after prom, after graduation, before she starts her summer job.

Or, if she's like my dd, go anytime during second semester. My dd18 is mentally DONE! She got accepted into her college, her high school uses up to first semester GPA & she's graduating in the top 10, & she told me she's not doing anymore homework! Lol.

Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter