Observed Covid Test for DCL - Recommendations

jeffporfirio

Mouseketeer
Hello.
Can anyone recommend an observed Covid Test service using the Health Canada tests (green boxes)?
DCL is requiring Covid testing (on the passenger's dime) for sailings after July 30th.
There a bunch of options from a Google serach, with prices from CAD20 to 50, but was wondering if anyone had any recommendations?
Thanks

We are going on a RCCL cruise and also need to test before embarkation. Since we’re going to Disneyland before the cruise, we chose to test remotely. We’ve booked through Lifecenters (dot ca) as they were recommended by other Canadians on a cruise forum. We test on Jyly 27th so can’t speak about the experience yet, but it looks good from the comments :)

Last edited:

Our experience with Switch Health was great. They’ll send you the test rather than use the green box ones, but at $35 CAD per test and 24/7 service I thought it was a fair price.

We were die hard SWITCH fans, but used Life Centres yesterday for our Monday sailing (recommended by someone else on these boards). $20 for first person, $5 for each additional person (up to 4 total), then it’s starts over. Use any of the free tests that are available at pharmacies in BC. Our family of 5 cost $55 ($20+$5+$5+$5+&20). Super easy and lovely telehealth rep. Had certificates emailed to us within 30 minutes. Loaded them to Safe Passages and were cleared to sail by midnight last night.

We were die hard SWITCH fans, but used Life Centres yesterday for our Monday sailing (recommended by someone else on these boards). $20 for first person, $5 for each additional person (up to 4 total), then it’s starts over. Use any of the free tests that are available at pharmacies in BC. Our family of 5 cost $55 ($20+$5+$5+$5+&20). Super easy and lovely telehealth rep. Had certificates emailed to us within 30 minutes. Loaded them to Safe Passages and were cleared to sail by midnight last night.
Thanks for your review … we are a party of 7 cruising in January .. if testing is still in place I think we will try them! I have so many free tests still.

Can we use the free green boxes to get safe passage with DCL or does it have to be PCR tests ? Very curious as booked DCL Wish for March 2023 and been reading a lot of stuff that has made my head spin.

Can we use the free green boxes to get safe passage with DCL or does it have to be PCR tests ? Very curious as booked DCL Wish for March 2023 and been reading a lot of stuff that has made my head spin.
Yes you can. We used the free boxes of green tests with Life Centers before taking our Disney Wonder cruise last week, no issue. Let's hope by March 2023 testing is a thing of the past :dancer:

Yes you can. We used the free boxes of green tests with Life Centers before taking our Disney Wonder cruise last week, no issue. Let's hope by March 2023 testing is a thing of the past :dancer:
We just booked with Life Centers for our cruise this week. They are so much cheaper. I am glad to see they were accepted with no problem :)

YIPEE!! We sail October 9, and soooo happy! While we sail RCCL, we don't have to test anymore for cruises departing the USA 9 days or less if vaccinated. Unvaccinated can still sail with a test, either a proctored test OR a At home test ( like the free one from the government) will be acceptable up to 3 days prior to sailing. this saves us soooo much stress! I am so happy the protocols changed :)

I cruise Friday. Alaska. I'll be giving Lifecenters a try. Booked 2 people for $25. (We have the Rapid Response tests) …I wish testing had been lifted, but at the same time, I’m happy it hasn’t been yet because I really don’t want to get Covid (again) before my Disney trip in 2 1/2 weeks.

Quick question about Lifecentres about timing. Do they stay on the call the whole time (swabbing and the 15 minute wait time) and then look at the tests via webcam or do they just watch the swabbing and you upload pics of the tests after the 15 minutes? Just trying to figure out timing as the appointment only says 15 minutes for 4 people and I figure just the ID verification and swabbing, etc. could take that long.

TIA

Quick question about Lifecentres about timing. Do they stay on the call the whole time (swabbing and the 15 minute wait time) and then look at the tests via webcam or do they just watch the swabbing and you upload pics of the tests after the 15 minutes? Just trying to figure out timing as the appointment only says 15 minutes for 4 people and I figure just the ID verification and swabbing, etc. could take that long.

TIA
So they watch you swab and put the stuff in the tester, etc. Then they mute the call and watch the test but you can walk away, you just need to have your phone or computer on that call for the 15 minutes. Once the time is up they will end the call and email you the results right away.

[So they watch you swab and put the stuff in the tester, etc. Then they mute the call and watch the test but you can walk away, you just need to have your phone or computer on that call for the 15 minutes. Once the time is up they will end the call and email you the results right away.]

Ok, cool. Thanks! We test tomorrow so just getting prepared.

ETA, whoops messed up the quote

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter