OBC prior to embarkation?

sillecruisers

Dreaming of the Dream
I'm full of questions today, sorry! I want to use Disney gift cards for onboard credit. Can I apply them to my account now, or do I have to bring them with me and apply them at guest services on board?

I'm full of questions today, sorry! I want to use Disney gift cards for onboard credit. Can I apply them to my account now, or do I have to bring them with me and apply them at guest services on board?
You can call DCL and have them applied to your reservation and they will show up as credit on your onboard account. If you used a TA, you need to give the TA the card numbers to them, and they will then call DCL with the information.

Or you can just apply them once onboard (that's what we did). It's much easier to do it onboard, since reading the numbers off to a second party (your TA) before that information is then read off to DCL can lead to errors. We just walked up and handed them our gift cards (Guest Services is open 24/7, so it's easy to find a time with no line), they scanned them in and sent us on our way - maybe 3 minutes, tops.

Remember to keep the cards handy, in case there is any leftover OBC. It must be applied to the cards, not a cash refund.

Last edited:
Yep, you can apply them now, as Shmoo said. Just give them a ring and you can give them the numbers over the phone. Or call your TA and they can do it.

I just applied gift cards to our account two days ago. I called Disney directly and it took less than 10 minutes from start to finish. Don't waste your time onboard, just do it now!:yay:

I have done this in the past a couple of times. One time it went flawless (2009), another not so much (2012). When it went well I arrived in my room with the customary "state board credit note", the other time the monies were not on my account (intent was to prepay cabana, state board credit I was entitled to at booking was not there either). While it was finally resolved it was more of a challenge than just going down and putting money on the account after onboard. If you are able to put money on your account I would ensure that you document document document with the name of the person you speak with, the date, time, etc

If you do it prior to sailing, by calling Disney directly, you will get a confirmation email.

Have to apply at guest services not now.

Easiest way is to call DCL directly. If you use a TA, second easiest is to call (NOT in an email, it's like money) your TA and ask them. Hardest way is to go to GS onboard, unless you get lucky and there is no line. Our minutes onboard are so precious we don't want to spend them standing in line at GS ever, and for the past 4-5 cruises we have had nothing to talk to them about. But, that does work if you wish. But it is much easier to pick up the phone for a few minutes (really) at your leisure before the cruise.

Can't you use them to purchase amenities in the amenity shop online? (Same place you would purchase a fruit basket or balloons to decorate your room, etc)

You could use disneygiftcard.com and merge your cards into one. There is a limit of $1000.00 per card. There is the Disney vacation account. You can put all your gift cards into the account and apply all or part of it to your obc before the cruise.
:)

Can't you use them to purchase amenities in the amenity shop online? (Same place you would purchase a fruit basket or balloons to decorate your room, etc)

Absolutely yes! For in-room gifts or other amenities, just call the DCL (800) 601-8455 with your amenity order from the online shop and they will be happy to accept your gift card. Have fun shopping there!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter