Oakland airport to disneyland

makana

Earning My Ears
Is there a train that runs that path? Or are our choices only car or plane? Any suggestions on places to stay for the night halfway?

You could take Amtrak. That's right at the Oakland Coliseum (the new airport connector leads right there), although the only trains that stop there are the Capitol Corridor line. Other options to get you on a train or bus would be at Richmond (you can take BART there) or San Jose.

Amtrak runs a variety of trains and/or buses that can get you to Anaheim. There are many combinations, including Capitol Corridor, the San Joaquin, Coast Starlight, Pacific Surfliner, and various connecting bus services. However, what is the most practical would probably to take BART to Richmond and then a series of trains and buses. However, if you're looking to skip a hotel room, much will depend on when you arrive. Your options are pretty poor if it's late at night. There is one bus (4768) that you can take from Oakland-Jack London Square that leaves at 10 PM and arrives at Los Angeles in the morning, where you can connect to a train.

If you send a private message, maybe I can give you some more concrete answers.

So were arriving at Oakland airport around 5p on a tues, picking up car then starting our journey. Is there a suggested town about half way that we can spend the night or should we keep on going till we hit disneyland and about what time can we estimate to arrive? This trip is not until July so wondering about what time the sun sets. Thanks everyone!

So were arriving at Oakland airport around 5p on a tues, picking up car then starting our journey. Is there a suggested town about half way that we can spend the night or should we keep on going till we hit disneyland and about what time can we estimate to arrive? This trip is not until July so wondering about what time the sun sets. Thanks everyone!

Driving isn't that bad. The fastest way down is via 880/238/580/5 all the way down to Anaheim. There's not that much along the way in terms of population, but there are many roadside stops with restaurants and motels. You can probably do it with one meal/bathroom/fuel break, but it's almost 6 hours if you don't stop (and you'll probably need to refuel anyways).

I think a good place to stop would be the Harris Ranch Inn & Restaurant. It's near Coalinga, but the actual town of Coalinga is several miles off the freeway. It's kind of legendary for the stench from the nearby cattle feedlot, but once you're indoors you can't smell it. I've had steaks at the restaurant which were some of the best I've ever had. I haven't stayed at the Inn, but it seems pretty nice, although it's really just a roadside motel.

http://www.harrisranch.com/index2.php

Here's what it would look like from the Oakland Airport rental car center to Disneyland - through Harris Ranch:

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...fcgDH6XCIYhC_2Lg&oq=harris+ran&mra=ls&t=m&z=7

There are other stops along the way like Gustine, Kettleman City, Lost Hills, or Buttonwillow. Further south you're into the more populated areas of Southern California.

Megabus now has a route from the Oakland Coliseum BART station to a depot near the Honda Center in Anaheim.

Megabus now has a route from the Oakland Coliseum BART station to a depot near the Honda Center in Anaheim.

West Oakland station. Megabus is also rather unforgiving if you miss the bus (i.e. flight delay). You miss the bus you're out of luck without credit for the next one and with only online booking.

Megabus is pretty good if you can be pretty sure you'll be on time, and not too bad if you can get one of the low fares (like a $1 fare).

If it were me and I had a rental car from Oakland I would drive all the way down I-5 to DLR expecting to arrive about 1200 or 100 AM. Stop about half way in Kettleman City for gas, grub, and a potty break (McDonalds, Subway, Starbucks).

I used to drive OC to Stockton every Friday nite in the summer of 87 and Kettleman was my 1/2 way point for gas and grub. If you're too tired to push on, there is a Best Western there to catch a few winks or if you make it another 2+ hours south you can rest at Wheeler Ridge at the base of the Grapevine (the mountains between the San Joaquin Valley and LA).

Personally, if I could get thru LA traffic in one straight run at 10 or 11PM or so it would be worth the push to make it in one night. There will be lots of cars on the road in LA to OC around that time, but traffic will be moving. Once near DLR at 1200 or so you will be ready to rest at your destination and up and adam the next AM for your Disney Adventure.

Me and DH took the train from Sacramento to LA for a cruise. We enjoyed it , no driving just kick back and relax. I would even take a train all the way to San Diego.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter