• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

NYC for 1 day

Sadeesmom

Mouseketeer
My HS Junior & I are taking a road trip of college tours this June. After Yale on a Wednesday, we are driving to NYC for Columbia & NYU. I think we can get the two done on Thursday, and have Friday free to explore the city before meeting family in Philadelphia late Friday night. We have never been to the East coast at all before. What would you do if you only had ~24 hours in the city as a 1st timer? Any suggestions on a hotel location would also be appreciated........and this is a budget-minded trip.....

I was thinking maybe the ferry out to the Statue of Liberty when they open at 9:00, and then either a hop on/hop off tour bus or one of the sightseeing cruises - is that a mistake?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

My family just did a long weekend in NYC in February and a long weekend in Philadelphia in January. It was DD11 and DS13's first trip to either city. No we didn't do the tour bus thing. No we didn't do the Statue of Liberty in NYC....

In NYC, we stayed at a hotel in Time's Square because. It wasn't cheap, but it was worth it. Hyatt Centric - view of Times Square. Nice hotel. Great room. Anyway, we went to Macys! Then Bloomingdales. So much shopping. And the Natural History museum and Central Park. We went to the 9/11 memorial. We ate tasty cheap pizza in Hell's Kitchen. Had dinner at a Polish place in Brooklyn one night - so good. Found a good Japanese Yakiniku place too. Anyway, you don't have to get on that tour bus. Just get on the subway and explore.

Re Philadelphia, yeah, we did the Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, Museum of the American Revolution, Franklin Institute.... Very good subway system as well.

My HS Junior & I are taking a road trip of college tours this June. After Yale on a Wednesday, we are driving to NYC for Columbia & NYU. I think we can get the two done on Thursday, and have Friday free to explore the city before meeting family in Philadelphia late Friday night. We have never been to the East coast at all before. What would you do if you only had ~24 hours in the city as a 1st timer? Any suggestions on a hotel location would also be appreciated........and this is a budget-minded trip.....

I was thinking maybe the ferry out to the Statue of Liberty when they open at 9:00, and then either a hop on/hop off tour bus or one of the sightseeing cruises - is that a mistake?

https://www.timeout.com/newyork/things-to-do/cheap-new-york-bargain-events-and-things-to-do-in-nyc

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g60763-Activities-zft11309-New_York_City_New_York

https://blog.cheapism.com/cheap-or-free-things-to-do-in-nyc-14374/

What would you do if you only had ~24 hours in the city as a 1st timer? Any suggestions on a hotel location would also be appreciated........and this is a budget-minded trip.....
I would pick two things that are "must see" and take time to explore. Trying to pack in too much in a new city leaves me tired and unsatisfied. Spending more time in one or two areas in much more fun for me.

I love the Freehand on Lexington. But you can't beat the location of Paramount on W. 46

We stayed at the Pod Hotel just outside of Times Square. It actually has bunk beds, sort of like being on a cruise ship. My freshman son & I loved it and it was clean and reasonably priced. Each bunk had its own TV and charging station. We rented those LIME bikes and biked all over. It was so fun and such a great way to see the city. We went all along the river all the way down to the Statue of Liberty. Definitely go see the 9/11 Memorial and the museum is worth seeing as well, took us about 1.5 hours. We also liked seeing the city from above so the Empire State Bldg, Top of the Rock or the Edge would be cool. The Edge looked awesome.

We always stay at the Hostel International https://www.hiusa.org/find-hostels/new-york/new-york-891-amsterdam-ave Fantastic location on Central Park West just a couple blocks from the subway, cheap beds (dorms or a family room), and both food and entertainment at the hostel itself.

As for what to do in one day? It really depends on your interests. The coolest thing we've ever done in NYC was the Tenement Museum...it's an actual old tenement building, and they've fixed different apartments up to mirror different time periods. You take an interactive tour through a couple of the apartments to learn about the family that lived there at that time. But if you're not into history tours, it might bore you to tears. Somebody upthread mentioned shopping...I enjoy shopping in NYC, but to me, if I only had one day it would be a giant waste of time. So it really just depends on what you personally are into.

I do agree with the others though. Pick something to do or a neighborhood to explore, and hop on the subway. Don't waste your money on a tour bus.

I kind of like the hop on hop off bus tours, especially if you’ve never been to that city before. It gives you a really good overview in a short amount of time. When we had a 3 day layover in London, we did a bus tour the first day. It oriented us to the city. I also googled the top attractions, showed the list to my husband and kids. Each picked their top thing they wanted to see/do.

We've been to NYC several times. My DS moved there last year and we went to visit him over Thanksgiving break.

Personally, I would skip the Statue of Liberty if you only have one day. If you do go, keep in mind that you will need to make reservations ahead of time since they limit the number of tours and sometimes sell out. You can choose your departure time when you purchase tickets, and the earlier times are usually the most popular. It will take several hours to see the statue and then go over to Ellis Island. Instead, I would recommend the 9/11 Museum. It's can be a sobering experience, but really gives you insight into the gravity of what happened that day.

If you want to get the full NYC experience, you have to visit Times Square at least once. According to my DS, the locals hate Times Square but the tourists love it! Rockefeller Center is a fun area to walk around. For a great view of the city, go to either the Top of the Rock or top of the Empire State Building. Radio City Music Hall is in the Rockefeller area and they give tours that take just over an hour. The huge FAO Swartz store is right across the street. You can also take the subway up to Central Park and walk around a bit. If you want to check out the Chelsea area, consider walking the High Line where you'll get some great views. There are great restaurants everywhere. We love finding quaint little diners that usually turn out to be amazing.

Agree with most of above. The thing is, NYC has more to do than can be done in a week. What interests you?

You could do a couple of hours in the morning down in the lower part of the Island ...911 memorial, The Battery. Go back north through China Town or SOHO. Then spend the afternoon/evening in midtown ... Time Square, Rockefeller Center, United Nations, Central Park. Stroll 5th Avenue.

Use the subway or Uber for north/south trips but walk east/west. You can walk faster than ride crosstown!

I would take a walking tour. We went on one where we hopped on and off the subway and hit a bunch of different neighborhoods.

If you are downtown (9/11 memorial/museum) the Staten Island ferry is free and goes by the SOL, just need to get off at Staten Island and rebound. The high line is great, Central Park is amazing, pop into the museum of natural history. You need to map it out.

We did way too much in one day when the kids were younger. We began our day in Times Square - visited the Toys R Us story and American Girl store. Went to Rockefeller Center. Took the kids to the Museum of Natural History (Night at the Museum was their favorite movie at the time). Hung in Central Park for a bit, hit up the MOMA(it was free that night) and visited St. Patrick's. It was a crazy day to say the least. The kids were swimming at the state meet on Long Island so we took the train in and then stayed until the train back. They were exhausted but still talk about that trip almost 15 years later. We ate street food and NY pizza. When I went with my daughters lacrosse team we did lower Manhattan - 9/11 memorial, Battery Park and that area.

My son went to St. Joseph's University in Philadelphia - he loves the city and still lives there. In Philly are you going to tour any of the colleges/universities there?

2 must do's in my opinion after my trip. 9/11 memorial. There's something wrong with you if you don't shed a tear standing there. I can't describe the emotion you feel.

2nd, Junior's Cheesecake. I was blown away.

We didn't make it to Central Park, so I don't know what that's like to visit. If we ever go back, we are spending time in Central Park.

Grand Central Station I thought was fabulous. It's beautiful. In the lower level, so much to try out at lunchtime. That's where I'd go to eat lunch. We ate lunch, then visited and I was so disappointed, I wanted a sandwich from the deli down there. We ate a desert from Magnolia's or something like that. Really beautiful there.

Radio City Music Hall is in the Rockefeller area and they give tours that take just over an hour.
Ah, Radio City. The first time we visited NYC, I was a kid. And we just happened to be walking by there when I really needed to use the restroom. So we went in and asked. They said restrooms weren't open to the public, but I could use it if we were on a tour. So we bought tour tickets, and it ended up being one of the most fun things we did that trip!

Just know (1) the Statue of Liberty will eat up lots of time between the ferry and what you do out there. For me unless you can hike the entire thing, was not worth the time. (2) Statue of Liberty has a multi tiered ticket system so make sure you buy for all you want to do.

https://www.statueoflibertytickets.com/Statue-Of-Liberty-Tours/

Honestly it really depends on what your LIKES or INTERESTS are because one day is not much time, especially if you have never been there. Manhattan will blown your mind with the size of it. DO YOUR HOMEWORK and study maps, locations of your interest, transportation etc so you aren't wasting time trying to figure it out OR appear to be super touristy.

We never opted for the bus tours because we knew our way everywhere and just got our guests from place to place. Did have a midwest cousin do it though because she was alone as first timer and it worked for her.

We often took guests on the Circle Line Full Island Cruise. Really gives a great overview, close to Statute, under Brooklyn and other bridges, Hudson & East River, UN building, all major tall buildings. In June it would be a very pleasant cruise. After wards you could just head to an area of town you want to explore. You could leave cruise and walk straight to Times Square then venture over to the touristy area of St Pats, Rock Center and consider paying (prepurchase!) for the ticket to do Empire State Building. All that area is walkable and the Empire is one of the best views you will get of the entire island because so center located. Haven't done Top of Rock because I can't handle the wall system up there.

ENJOY all your touring, college and otherwise!

In Philly are you going to tour any of the colleges/universities there?
No, it's just a homemade dinner (in the midst of 2 weeks of road trip/restaurant food), sleep, and then on to Johns Hopkins University. Depending on JHU timing, I would like to take an hour or two to see some of the sites in Philadelphia (at least drive by something!), but our focus this trip is just the schools.

If you have any interest in art, the Metropolitan Museum of Art is fantastic--and lots more to see there than you could see in a day or even a week.

No, it's just a homemade dinner (in the midst of 2 weeks of road trip/restaurant food), sleep, and then on to Johns Hopkins University. Depending on JHU timing, I would like to take an hour or two to see some of the sites in Philadelphia (at least drive by something!), but our focus this trip is just the schools.
I didn't know if you were looking at Villanova or U Penn based on your other school choices. Both are beautiful schools. St. Joseph's is as well.

I agree the Statue of Liberty tour takes a long time. Instead of that I suggest visiting Battery Park then taking the Staten Island ferry (free). I also really enjoy the hop on hop off bus tours, ride on the top, see a lot of sites in relatively short amount of time. Get off near a location that has someplace else you want to visit. I really like the Hampton Inn Seaport. Rooms are tiny but they have balcony rooms with great views and lots of great restaurants close by.

Lived in NY for 30+ yrs and worked in NYC for awhile as well. That being said, do you want food or attractions?

You could do Top of the Rock which will give you awesome 360 views from Mid-town. From there, locate the A-C-E (blue) line (take the E as it is express and terminates at ground zero more or less. From there you can see One World trade as well as the memorial. Wall Street and the financial district are maybe a quick 5 - 10 minute walk away and you can see where the magic of Capitalism happens lol. Trinity church is also in that area and worth a pop-in.
From there, you can walk north to China town and do Joe's Shanghai or Hop-Ki. I recommend Joe's Shanghai and order soup dumplings. Both are real Chinese food and worth it. You will not find the generic small town America Chinese food there.
After that, take a spin up to Canal St for shopping or go to Little Italy and get some Pizza.

After that I think you can start heading back to your hotel and then Philly. You could substitute Central Park between Top of the Rock and One World Trade... but it is literally just a park. lol

Hope these are some good ideas to point you in the right direction.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter