• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Nothing A Little Sangria Can't Fix! A Thanksgiving 2016 Dining Report update 3/21 MK eats

I am laughing that Disboards edited the name of the mushrooms on Ricky's burger :rotfl2::rotfl2:

I totally understand about everyone's moods being on, um, shall we say...different wavelengths?? I have SO been there with my family. I'm pretty sure that's why sangria was invented in the first place ::yes::

Your food at Yak and Yeti looks good. It may be somewhere I choose for October. I'm struggling with what to pick for meals with my mom...she is not adventurous with food, but I think with Asian inspired things like that, she'd be ok.

Looks like we felt pretty much the same about Ample Hills!

I love sangria and will pretty much order it if it's on the drink menu at a restaurant or at any stand around WDW. I've had it quite a few places around Epcot and they make a good one in the Territory Lounge over at the Wilderness Lodge. However I think this is my favorite on property sangria to date, which I tried for the first time back in Aug. Let me tell you, it took the edge off! I sat in the market and enjoyed it while the family wandered around me, coming near me every once in awhile and then walking away when I paid no attention to them. And by them I do mean the other 3 members of my party, not just 2!
That a girl, when the family is driving you nuts DRINK :drinking1 Thought of you in Key West last week when we had the best sangria I've ever had. It of course had wine, but they mixed it with brandy and cointreu and I'm not sure what else but it was amazing!

Beef and pork sausage fried in curry corn batter, served with green papaya slaw and black eyed pea salad
I love this, the sausage, this BIG sausage ;), It's nice and juicy (stop it! you're going to make me go where I went with the nuts!) and I absolutely love the corn breading on the outside. I'm also a huge fan of the slaw and ate it all. Oh and yeah, that's another sangria with my food. I figured it could only make things better!
I figured you were into big sausages :P Hope I can finally try a sausage of my own on our trip. We've yet to get to Harambe and just today Jason was requesting to eat his way through Animal Kingdom :-)

Ricky looks so incredibly weird in this picture!
He certainly doesn't look like he was enjoying himself. Where were they other 2?

Easy: cheeseburger, non-Kobe, and crispy shoestring fries.
Chris loved the fries and I'll admit, all of us except Steve like these skinny fries more than the thicker cut fries. Other than that, Chris was totally disappointed in his meal. His little old kids burger may not look much smaller than the Kobe, but it was. But it's a kids meal! Steve took a bite and said it tasted fine but Chris insisted it was steps below what he's accustomed to and deserved of :charac2:
:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2: Why do I fear this will be Casey in a few years?

Fried Wontons: Skewers of pinapple and cream cheese wontons, vanilla ice cream, honey vanilla drizzle.
This was our 2nd time having this and as some of you know it's almost dessert perfection (still don't think anything beats Narcoossee's almond-crusted cheesecake!) I'm not a fruit person but if I have to eat it, I normally pick pineapple so it's right up my alley. Cover it with sweet vanilla sauce? OK! The wontons are my favorite part other than the sauce but it's nice to have the pineapple to break it up. Also, these were some of the sweetest strawberries I've had, and that was before I rolled them in the sauce!!
AHHHHHH!!!!!!!! So good. Just a week or so before they will be mine

SO happy together, especially today :flower1::daisy:Also I do remember the magnetic personality one was Chris's :rotfl:
After your day, hope this come true

@ariane37 - I know I had previously mentioned Aldi and their wine selection. I know I mentioned the moscato...but I think I forgot to mention their Red Moscato (actually the brand is Moiselle but it's still at Aldi, so you know what I mean). I had forgotten how much I enjoyed it until this weekend. Aldi was out of the normal Moscato I get and they do have it in the Moiselle brand but I don't like it as much as the Winking Owl brand...but then I remembered I liked the Red Moscato so I grabbed a few bottles and yep, very nice. Again, nothing fancy but very comparable to grocery store wine, just at a cheaper price.

OMG guys, I had no idea the Dis censored my ......mushrooms until I started reading your responses :rotfl: Glad I didn't receive an infraction, you'd think a computer would be able to tel the difference between a type of food and when I get MAD and curse at food!!!

First off, let me say how glad I am that the Dis censored your report so I didn't have to see a curse word in the middle of another word. :rotfl2:
:cool1: totally surprised! Computers aren't as smart as they want us to think they are ;)

You know my feelings on sangria, in general, and on you getting 2 on this day! :thumbsup2
One of the best decisions I made this trip ::yes:: Keep it in mind for June!

And you may remember, Y&Y is not really a favorite of mine. I think my dad got the Kobe beef burger there and liked it. I don't really have any complaints about it but nothing stood out as great, either. Even that dessert, that I didn't like nearly as much as I thought I would. Not sure why but the place just doesn't excite me. But I'm glad you guys enjoyed it
I do remember that. You know, every place isn't for everyone :) I don't LOVE it as in I want to go every trip; we hadn't eaten there since I think 2012 or 2013 so LOTS of trips ago. If it wasn't for me trying Steve's chicken tikka masala at Harambe I don't even know if I would have booked it this trip (even though Steve requested it-my wants are more important) but I wanted to try theirs. And I'm glad I did!

Oh I SO feel you on this one...had a couple of those moments myself during our October trip! It's like fine, if nobody is going to listen I'll just be over here enjoying myself (and a delicious beverage) and you can let me know when you're ready to get with the program! Glad it's not just my family :rolleyes:
I'm glad it's not just MY family! Sometimes I think my kids are the only ones who aren't all sunshine and smiles while in Disney.

I am trying to fit Yak & Yeti into our September trip but I just don't think I can make it work. The chicken tikka masala is what I would have ordered, though

We already have quite a bit of ice cream on our agenda, but I'm hoping to check out Ample Hills. I'm more of an "ice cream purist" (rather than sundaes and lots of toppings) so it definitely appeals to me and I'm sure Sean would *love* that cotton candy flavor :)
Can there really ever be too much ice cream on the agenda :D LOL? If you're a purist then you'll probably enjoy Ample Hills, it was a nice change from getting a sundae. And even though at most places (Like Beaches and Cream and the Plaza) you can get just vanilla or chocolate, those to me are TOO plain.

The fried won tons are THE BOMB!!! I've had them twice now, and they are one of my all time favorite desserts!
They are! I knew I loved them the first time I had them but it'd been so long, I forgot how MUCH I loved them :goodvibes

Your fortunes were priceless especially after the day you had
:laughing: I know, they were just perfect considering the day, couldn't have gotten any better. Steve made me bring them home lol:jumping1:.

We are deciding between the Poly and BC for Thanksgiving this year. The pics from Ample Hills are giving the BC an edge
Being on the Boardwalk is so nice, it's really Steve's favorite area to be in. Have you stayed at the Poly? For some reason I think you have :scratchin We stayed there once and I'm glad I got the chance because I'd been wanting to, but even with the proximity to MK I prefer an Epcot resort. Besides, since you're at CR in March, I say BC for Nov :thumbsup2

I am laughing that Disboards edited the name of the mushrooms on Ricky's burger :rotfl2::rotfl2:
I never thought it would do that :laughing::laughing: Someone wrote about a soup with those same 4 letters in the name followed by onion - @pepperandchips maybe? and it didn't sensor that word!
I totally understand about everyone's moods being on, um, shall we say...different wavelengths?? I have SO been there with my family. I'm pretty sure that's why sangria was invented in the first place ::yes::
VERY nice way to put it, nicer than me :) I think they need to serve the sangria in a mommy care center next to all the baby care centers ::yes:: :drinking1
Your food at Yak and Yeti looks good. It may be somewhere I choose for October. I'm struggling with what to pick for meals with my mom...she is not adventurous with food, but I think with Asian inspired things like that, she'd be ok.
Steve's shrimp lo mein (which also comes with chicken or sans meat) and the kobe burger are pretty "normal" foods, so yes that might be a good place to bring her. What about the Plaza? Trying to think of other places that might work............what are you thinking so far? Inquiring minds who have yet to book an Oct. trip want to know!

Just joined and really enjoying it so far!
:welcome: and thank you!!

That a girl, when the family is driving you nuts DRINK
Ha! If I drank every time the family drove me nuts, I would never be sober :faint:

Thought of you in Key West last week when we had the best sangria I've ever had. It of course had wine, but they mixed it with brandy and cointreu and I'm not sure what else but it was amazing!
Well thanks! Might be a reason for us to go down there sometime :goodvibes Once we calm down from the next 3 vacations we have booked lol

I figured you were into big sausages :P
Aaaaaand another reason we're friends :thumbsup2

Hope I can finally try a sausage of my own on our trip. We've yet to get to Harambe and just today Jason was requesting to eat his way through Animal Kingdom :-)
I'll look forward to your review. I always get surprised any time you mention somewhere down there you haven't eaten, I feel like you should have eaten everywhere by now! Good luck to Jason eating (and drinking) his way around AK!

He certainly doesn't look like he was enjoying himself. Where were they other 2?
He does love EE but I can't tell if he was trying to keep his glasses from falling off or what! Chris won't ride EE yet :rolleyes: I need to show him your picture of Casey with her stuffed Yeti she got after riding it to try to bully him into trying it. I don't even remember where they were, waiting for us? Going to the bathroom? I really didn't care, I was doing what I wanted to do!

Why do I fear this will be Casey in a few years?
LOL for your sake I hope not! He's SO MUCH FUN :sad2:

That's my motto too! I may or may not have a budget line item for booze alone, and maybe a list of drinks to fill it out.
Hey! Think I might start loading up a gift card just for my drinks :thumbsup2 However when the family starts acting like this I think any budget line would go right out the window........

@ariane37 - I can't stop giggling over the mushroom censoring. I couldn't figure out why you had typed it that way!
LOL! Believe me, if I want to curse I do it! No censoring on my part! I still find it funny the computer can't tell when it's part of a bigger word but I'm glad I gave a bunch of my friends a good laugh!

@ariane37 - I know I had previously mentioned Aldi and their wine selection. I know I mentioned the moscato...but I think I forgot to mention their Red Moscato (actually the brand is Moiselle but it's still at Aldi, so you know what I mean). I had forgotten how much I enjoyed it until this weekend. Aldi was out of the normal Moscato I get and they do have it in the Moiselle brand but I don't like it as much as the Winking Owl brand...but then I remembered I liked the Red Moscato so I grabbed a few bottles and yep, very nice. Again, nothing fancy but very comparable to grocery store wine, just at a cheaper price.
OMG I keep forgetting to check for this! Going to Kohl's tomorrow which is right next to Aldi and I have to check. Good to know about the red also, I'm not picky so I'll take whatever they have!
Thanks for testing it all out for me, you're a true friend :D

Being on the Boardwalk is so nice, it's really Steve's favorite area to be in. Have you stayed at the Poly? For some reason I think you have :scratchin We stayed there once and I'm glad I got the chance because I'd been wanting to, but even with the proximity to MK I prefer an Epcot resort. Besides, since you're at CR in March, I say BC for Nov :thumbsup2

We have stayed at the Poly several times but it's been a while. We've never stayed at the BC only the BWI. We got a great discount for both but the Poly is $500.00 more for the 9 days. Kathy really loves the Poly either way I know we'll have a great time. Need to male a decision soon though I'll keep you posted.

I promise to find a moment to properly reply to your epic post but that was exactly what I thought when I saw the disboards edit! "Why does ****tinonion get a pass but the alternative spelling of shiitake does not"????

:rotfl:

Chris got the pepperoni flatbread:

Standard flatbread. He enjoyed this and ate a good amount of it; Steve and I each had a bite and it actually wasn't that bad, not as good as Pinocchio's flatbreads but not as terrible as Disney pizza in general. So overall they were happy with Pizzafari and I was more than happy, again, with Harambe Market.
My favorite QS in all of the world:yay:

Glad AK ended on a positive note!

Hello Ariane! Well, I have a confession. I've been a bad DISer. I've been reading along with your reports for a little while but have yet to make a comment. But I figured any report about big juicy sausages and **** mushrooms is worth commenting on, so here I am finally!

I've seen many reviews of Yak and Yeti, but I have never gone. My girls (including DW) are not into Asian food at all. I love a good Chicken Tikka Masala and I would love to try it there. Seeing your reviews of the burger inspired me to think that I could try it with my family. Then I would finally get to try the legendary fried wontons for dessert.

I've never been to Ample Hills, but I love Beaches & Cream, so it would be a tough choice. I do appreciate that Ample Hills are trying to be a bit creative and put homemade peanut butter cups in their ice cream.

Well, I must head over to your trip report and stop being a lurker on that one too!

I never thought it would do that :laughing::laughing: Someone wrote about a soup with those same 4 letters in the name followed by onion - @pepperandchips maybe? and it didn't sensor that word!

VERY nice way to put it, nicer than me :) I think they need to serve the sangria in a mommy care center next to all the baby care centers ::yes:: :drinking1

Steve's shrimp lo mein (which also comes with chicken or sans meat) and the kobe burger are pretty "normal" foods, so yes that might be a good place to bring her. What about the Plaza? Trying to think of other places that might work............what are you thinking so far? Inquiring minds who have yet to book an Oct. trip want to know!

Serving sangria at the baby care centers would be a game changer!

Sooo...for October, right now the only things on the 'definite' list are Ohana and Cinderella's Royal Table.
'Maybe' places are Sci Fi, Minnie's Holiday Dine, Chef Mickey's

I have no idea what flight I'll be able to get, but on arrival day I'd like to do something fun near our resort. I was thinking Chef Mickey (or maybe even The Wave) or Cali Grill, but then I realized she'd balk at the menu at CG. I don't know, I guess she could surprise me.
I do feel like my mom will be a little more adventurous without my stepdad around (he's awesome, but can be grumpy and uncomfortable with unfamiliar things - like food!), so I want to book places that will give her the chance to branch out if she wants to, but also have choices that make her feel more comfortable.

This is one area where May's trip with MIL will be easier. For that one, I know she wants Sanaa (but I'm not making a res there, I figure we can get one day of. She wants bread service!) and I have booked Boma breakfast, Hollywood and Vine lunch, BOG dinner, and an Akershus breakfast. Oh, and a Wishes dessert party. I also plan to take her to Nomad lounge. We're going to try and wing it a little more. The only thing she's requested is to meet Belle and the Beast, so I've got that covered!

I promise to find a moment to properly reply to your epic post but that was exactly what I thought when I saw the disboards edit! "Why does ****tinonion get a pass but the alternative spelling of shiitake does not"????

:rotfl:
LOL! I realized I originally spelled shiitake wrong, so that's why it probably got censored at first, but still it's in the middle of a longer word! No idea why your soup sometimes gets a pass and sometimes doesn't, but I think every once in awhile we should randomly type it in our posts and count up how many passes we get and how many censors :P

Hello Ariane! Well, I have a confession. I've been a bad DISer. I've been reading along with your reports for a little while but have yet to make a comment. But I figured any report about big juicy sausages and **** mushrooms is worth commenting on, so here I am finally!
Well I'll give you a pass and instead of reprimanding you, I'll say :welcome: and thank you for commenting :)I'm glad you're enjoying the humor!

I've seen many reviews of Yak and Yeti, but I have never gone. My girls (including DW) are not into Asian food at all. I love a good Chicken Tikka Masala and I would love to try it there. Seeing your reviews of the burger inspired me to think that I could try it with my family. Then I would finally get to try the legendary fried wontons for dessert.
Ooh, I hope you get to try it. I'm trying to remember without checking the menu again whether there's anything else that's non-Asian, but Ricky absolutely loved the Kobe burger so maybe you can sell DW and the girls on that!

Well, I must head over to your trip report and stop being a lurker on that one too!
I saw you over there :thumbsup2

Sooo...for October, right now the only things on the 'definite' list are Ohana and Cinderella's Royal Table.
'Maybe' places are Sci Fi, Minnie's Holiday Dine, Chef Mickey's
Those all sound pretty "safe" for someone who isn't adventurous. Are you doing 'Ohana for breakfast or dinner?

I have no idea what flight I'll be able to get, but on arrival day I'd like to do something fun near our resort. I was thinking Chef Mickey (or maybe even The Wave) or Cali Grill, but then I realized she'd balk at the menu at CG. I don't know, I guess she could surprise me.
Yeah the Wave is probably good! Have you shown her any menus online?

This is one area where May's trip with MIL will be easier. For that one, I know she wants Sanaa (but I'm not making a res there, I figure we can get one day of. She wants bread service!) and I have booked Boma breakfast, Hollywood and Vine lunch, BOG dinner, and an Akershus breakfast. Oh, and a Wishes dessert party.
Um, I thought you were only booking Akershus and BOG for May :rotfl2: That didn't last long! I'm pretty sure I remember now you mentioning booking the dessert party. I agree you should be able to get Sanaa day of, it's never been full when we're there and it's one that I always see availability at when I'm looking last minute.

Those all sound pretty "safe" for someone who isn't adventurous. Are you doing 'Ohana for breakfast or dinner?

Yeah the Wave is probably good! Have you shown her any menus online?

Um, I thought you were only booking Akershus and BOG for May :rotfl2: That didn't last long! I'm pretty sure I remember now you mentioning booking the dessert party. I agree you should be able to get Sanaa day of, it's never been full when we're there and it's one that I always see availability at when I'm looking last minute.

Well, first of all, I see I made a mistake and typed Hollywood and Vine when I meant Hollywood Brown Derby! I was thinking about H&V for October with my mom for the characters in costume, and mistyped. Too many trips messing with my head!!

Yeah...I did add a few more outside of Akershus and BOG for May...:rolleyes1 I couldn't leave well enough alone and I kept worrying about things. I have problems!! I thought lunch at Brown Derby would be a nice break at DHS, and I added Boma because she says she will "just not be able to function without breakfast right away", and figured it'd be a nice way to kick off our first morning. I added the dessert party on a whim a couple weeks ago to manipulate her into staying "late" for Wishes. She thinks she's going to be going to bed at 6pm. She'll be 60 in June...she's killing me with all of this "I'm old" business when she's not old AT ALL.

Sorry!! I tend to ramble on the subject of MIL!! Everything just always has to be so dramatic with her, and I'm not like that.

And for October...Ohana dinner, definitely. My mom will like it, I'm 99% positive. And possibly Ohana breakfast on our departure day, depending on flight time. I figured it would be a good way to finish things off, and convenient since we'll be staying at the Poly. I have not shown her any menus online. She was supposed to come visit in January but didn't, and I was going to talk about it with her then. I thought it would be easier and less overwhelming with me guiding her through things and keeping it kind of edited, and not letting her loose on her own, but I think it's about time to tell her about allears and let her check things out!

Between the Cherry Berry lemonade and the tikka masala I am second guessing my AK reservations now. Or maybe its just because I'm reading this while eating lunch. :laughing: Everything all looks so good!

Hey Ariane I'm here and completely enjoying myself! I had some deja vu and thought 'hey didn't you already read and comment on this?!' but no that was your TR! haha! Anyway, those chicken nuggets at Columbia Harbor House are RIGHT up DH's alley! did your room at the Beach Club have a microwave?

And oh my goodness all those drinks look so good. :cloud9:

Between the Cherry Berry lemonade and the tikka masala I am second guessing my AK reservations now. Or maybe its just because I'm reading this while eating lunch. :laughing: Everything all looks so good!
LOL it's very dangerous reading dining reports when hungry or eating non-fancy food! What are your current AK reservations?

Enjoying your report very much!
Hello there and :thanks: I hope to get another update done real soon, I was actually down in Florida all last week for a training :)

Hey Ariane I'm here and completely enjoying myself! I had some deja vu and thought 'hey didn't you already read and comment on this?!' but no that was your TR! haha!
It's hard when the same person (like me)has multiple reports going at once, so thank you for coming over here, too!

Anyway, those chicken nuggets at Columbia Harbor House are RIGHT up DH's alley! did your room at the Beach Club have a microwave?
Disney chicken nuggets are 100x better than chicken nuggets anywhere else :thumbsup2 And yes, we had a microwave. We rented points though so we were in the villas.

And oh my goodness all those drinks look so good.
One of my favorite things about Disney are all the :drinking1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter