Not to be missed Christmas activities???

3littlecuties

DIS Veteran
We are planning our first Christmas time Disney visit for the week before Christmas. So excited to see the parks decorated for the holidays! We are planning to do MVMCP one evening. I just stumbled upon the Candlelight Processional at Epcot. I still need to research that more. Do we need tickets???

Anyway, it got me wondering what other activities are only at Christmas that we should try to see! Our dining window opens in a couple of weeks so I want to have a general idea of our plans before then.

Thanks!

We had our first Christmas visit last year, 12/16 - 12/23. The trip report is in my signature if you're interested!

My favorite things were the holidays around the world speakers in the World Showcase. We did the dining package for Candlelight Processional, but I wouldn't do that again. We didn't find value in it, but for some guests it will be worth it. If we were there during that time again and wanted to see it, we'd stand in the back of the theater and watch from there. BUT if the narrator is someone you really want to see, the dining package would be valuable.

One thing that really surprised me was the decorations at Hollywood Studios. They were gorgeous and so festive. It "snows" on Hollywood Blvd like it does on Main Street in MK during the Christmas party at the end of the night.

If you like characters, several are in special outfits for the holidays...and the week before Christmas they start appearing at resorts too! Check your resort schedule. We met Mickey and Minnie in outfits I'd never seen before in the Beach Club lobby.

We also enjoyed MVMCP quite a bit. It was a sold out party but crowds seemed low to us (others will vehemently disagree with my opinion, however! It's all so subjective.)

I really suggest taking the time to visit all of the deluxe resorts during your visit - they all look so beautiful! (and don't forget Swan/Dolphin! They are beautiful at holiday time!)

Have fun planning and have a wonderful trip!!

I agree with the hotels. Not just the deluxe ones but all of them. All the hotels get a bit of decorations, if you have a day to waste that might be an option. I also believe that last year they had a show at Disney Springs with drones. Not sure if they will be doing that again. And if you can, try to snag some gingerbread the Grand, its sold from a gingerbread house, there is also the pepermint sticks they make onsite.

You will be staying at one of my favorite decorated Resorts for the season Animal Kingdom Villas.
When you walk in the entrance way of AK it is awe inspiringly gorgeous.
Check-out the Christmas/ Seasonal movies under the stars. We packed a few bags of microwave popcorn with us and filled up on the hot chocolate at Mara.
Check out the listed Resort activities for AK,,when we were there we
baked cookies at Boma ,saw the animals using night time vision googles, made medallion rubbings in the main lobby, enjoyed making marshmallow s'mores and
listened to the storytellers, it was a great place to stay during the holidays.
Keep an eye out here for updates on Resort schedule activities.
Kenny/Pirate does a great job.
http://www.kennythepirate.com/resor...animal-kingdom-lodge-resort-recreation-guide/

Disney Springs has some lovely decorations and I am betting this year will be special with all the new stores/Restaurants opening.
Last year they had a "Christmas Tree Trail",,"Stitch's Holiday Gift Hunt"I am not sure if they will be done again this year.

Epcot usually has its Story Tellers Around The World which is great fun for the family to learn a bit about other cultures and celebrations.
We bought a few new Christmas tree decorations in Epcot.

I packed stockings for my family with small treats/trinkets/gifts.

Pack some Santa hats/Elf hats for your group and some neon glow sticks, for the Once Upon A Christmastime Parade.

Have a great time planning
Hugs Mel

Last edited:

You don't need tickets for the candlelight processional but it is highly recommended if you don't want to wait in the standby line for hours with the possibility of not getting in. To get tickets you can book a candlelight processional dining package. If you are on the dining plan it will cost 2 table service credits. You will receive your tickets after you pay for your meal. You will still have a line to wait in for those that booked the dining package but you are guaranteed a seat and the wait won't be as long as doing standby. They perform three shows each night. If you want to be sure it will be completely dark pick either the 2nd or the last show. We always did the last show because of when we chose to eat dinner. The packages for candlelight don't come out until the end of this month to sometime in July even. Most people pick their date to book based on the narrator for that night. Narrators are subject to change though right up until the day of the show.

Tip: if you want to fit in all of the holiday storytellers look at a times guide as soon as you can and plan accordingly. You can usually do a search and find one online so that you can plan your meals accordingly as well. You most likely want to plan on breaking it up into two different days because of how they are timed.

Also, don't forget to go inside the American Adventure, they decorate inside, last time we were there in 2014 they had a gingerbread display set up.

Last year Hollywood Studios had a new show for the holidays as well, I don't know if it will be back this year or not but keep an eye out for any announcements.

Last edited:
Basically for the CP there are 3 shows a night. There is a standby line which I have heard people start getting in line at 11 am if a popular narrator but the only way to guarantee a seat is to buy a dining package. It is a set fee but cost is determined by the restaurant and which meal it is. If a dinner at Chefs for example you get to choose one appetizer, one entree, and one dessert plus a
non alcoholic drink. Packages usually are available the beginning of July and you pick your meal and show time. When you get your check you are handed stickers with your show time on it and go to the dining package line. We also enjoy Holidays Around the World at Epcot.

We really like the MVMCP. We don't do the character meets but love the parade, snow on Main Street, shows, and fireworks plus go on some rides. They also have party shirts and other things at certain of the shops. Last year they changed the snacks to a different variety of cookies and drinks plus other snacks at the different locations so tried to get to a majority of them.

Also we take time to visit the deluxe resorts - GF, WL, CR, AKL, BC, YC, and BW. In Dec we stayed at YC for the first time so also went to see the decorations at the Swan and Dolphin. On that same trip we had the first show of the night at HDDR and afterwords walked around the nearby campsites to see the decorations which we had never done before but really enjoyed. Last year at DS they had the Christmas Tree Trail and drone show which we liked as well.

Definitely check out the Christmas Tree Trail at Disney Springs!

One evening we did a sleigh ride at Fort Wilderness that took us around the RV and campsites to see everyone's Christmas lights. It was a lot of fun, then we watched the Christmas party fireworks from the marina/beach at Fort Wilderness.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter