• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Not sure $149 Disney After Hrs event is doing well... (ETA: reviews in 1st post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MickeyMinnieMom

If you ticket it, they will come... ;)
... just got an email offering it for free tomorrow night to DVC members who register in advance. They mention spots being very limited.
-------------------------
ETA: Reviews from those who HAVE ATTENDED the event:

I attended the event on April 14 so I wanted to share my experience. I went right to the event after landing in Orlando and dropping off my bags in my room. I did not get to the Magic Kingdom until 10:20 so I had to push through the crowds leaving after Wishes to get through security and check in at the turnstiles. The park was open until 11 pm so you needed to find the section of the turnstiles right in the middle for the after hours event to scan your band and get your lanyard. You basically got a lanyard when you entered listing all the attractions that were operating during the event. It also said you could get ice cream and drinks at carts throughout the park or you could buy select items at Casey's and the Main Street bakery.

My mother was already at the park when I got there so we decided to ride the attractions that were not open during the event until 11 and then switch. There was a mixture of regular guests and event guests still in the park but the regular guests started to thin out the closer it got to 11.

Overall I really enjoyed the event and could not believe how empty the park felt. Often there were more cast members working at the attractions than guests riding the attractions. We could pick our seats on every attraction, walked up to the loading at every attraction, and were told we could stay on and ride again. We enjoyed the ice cream and the only downside was that we had to finish the ice cream before going on the next attraction. It rained off and on starting around midnight but it was a light misty rain so it did not really impact the evening.

We passed other guests walking around but you definitely felt like the park was open just for you as we were the only people walking through fantasyland or adventureland at times. My mom thought it felt strange to have no other people around but I thought it was fun to walk without dodging strollers or groups of people.

We stayed until 2 am and then headed out. There were photo pass photographers out on Main Street past 2 am and you could have entered any of the attractions or grabbed one more treat until 2 am. When you left the park they had busses lined up and a cast member would direct you to the bus that would go to your resort. I don't think the monorail was still running so I am not sure how guests who parked at the ticket and transportation center were transported back there.

As for whether it was worth the $149, I think it really depends on how you choose to visit the parks and how much you want to budget for your vacation. If you don't mind staying out late and really do not like crowds, the event is perfect for you because you can go on most of the attractions at the magic kingdom with no waits and you can be very efficient with your visit because you are not spending any time in line other than walking to the loading areas.

I don't know how many people actually attended the event so I don't know if wait times will change if more people attend in the future but it really was wonderful to go on so many attractions in such a short amount of time. And I do think it's nice that you enter at 7 pm so you can have 4 additional hours in the park with your ticket.

Also, I did notice that at the Grand Floridian they put a little flyer about this event in the check in packet so I imagine all the resorts are doing that now. I will be curious to see how the other parties go.

OP here... So I am WAAAAYYY late in my response! The race weekend knocked me out, I guess, but I am now the proud owner of a GAZILLION Star Wars medals including the Kessel Run Challenge one! Running 22.4 miles over 3 days was a lot... then add the 33miles or so that we walked over 5 days!!

Anyway... I think the above post sums it up. The event was free to us as DVC members who managed to snag the tickets last minute, as I said. Others have already reported, but the park really did feel just about empty. The only comparable that I experienced was a D23 event YEARS ago where MK stayed open late, very few tickets, etc.

I obviously have no idea how many people were ultimately there in all. IF it stayed like that night, I can imagine there being a sizable enough audience to pay $149 a pop -- particularly during busier seasons. And even if they were not at their planned capacity for the event, feels to me like they could EASILY double the attendance and still have a semi-empty feel to the park.

Would I do it for $149 per person?? Don't know, but that is because: 1) we visit multiple times a year and get plenty of park days, and 2) we are early risers and planners, so always see everything we want over the course of a trip. HOWEVER... while we have visited during race weekends and other shorter trips during busier times, this August will be the FIRST TIME we take our longer trip (11 days) during such a busy time. I might consider paying this to have time in the parks with 1) LOW CROWDS and 2) LOW TEMPS in the middle of August!! Still thinking about it... :)

I was there last night with my wife and daughter. My daughter turned 12 at midnight and we had an awesome time, was great to be in the park with virtually no other guests. I managed to snap a picture of the walkway between small world and peter pan with ZERO people in the photo, its sweet. I could not care less if some people got it for free as there were no lines anyway so free tickets had no effect on our enjoyment. Only issue was that my wife and I both agreed it will be hard to come back during regular hours again :)

Other thread with a review: http://www.disboards.com/threads/4-21-after-hours-is-it-really-worth-it.3503993/
I know it's been a while, but I thought this was worth sharing, so I'm back. I haven't read any forum stuff (cuz I don't spend a lot of time reading now when I'm at the parks all week, to be honest) so there may already be opinions and experiences, etc. These just reflect my personal experience. That having been said, a lot of my friends thought the idea of this ticket was bonkers. It most definitely is not, depending on a few factors (mainly, if you are a night owl, love rides and the MK.) There are still some nights available, so perhaps a few out there might want to think about whether it's a good value for them.

Here are my basic comments and highlights...

Entering before Park Closing:
MK lines were already looking fairly good when I got to the park at 9pm. Just so that you know, you can enter in with this ticket even before 7pm if you like. (I had a regular work day, so I went back home to sleep, get ready and then run down to DSprings to get a new tiara since I planned to finally get to meet Anna and Elsa.) I jumped into Pixie Hollow to meet Tink since I was already all tiared and gussied up for photos (and because I was traveling solo, and that's not something my honey would be in to.) I decided to make it an all princess night and did Belle Storytime (sing Opera, and you are basically automatically selected to participate so you can get your photo with Belle) before Wishes. Wishes was great, I got a seat around Gaston's Tavern and relaxed. Big fireworks, but not recommended viewing if you have never seen with the castle. If you have lots of times, it was a great spot for big loud booms. Afterwards, Ariel's line dropped from 40 to 15, so I met her. She was stellar. These 3 gals would not be participating in the After Hours party so my plan was not to ride rides but to catch princesses that would close at 10:30.

Park Closing- No one but After Hours folks left:
Things died down QUICKLY and within minutes, it was just lanyard wearing folks. The amount of tickets sold are VERY, VERY limited, like shockingly so. (The Holiday parties have at least 4 x the amount of crowds if not much higher.) Even so, I wouldn't have liked it to empty out like weirdly. Instead, it was a fun loving happy group of people who I noticed basically headed straight for the free icecream. I decided to let the park quiet a tad and went had Philharmagic to myself and about 7 others. It is amazing how much better that show is without 18 million big heads and mickey ears in front of you. After that, I realize I'm already 40 mins in, I better get a move on. Its on to Cinderella and Rapunzel, Elsa and Anna. Despite the very late hours, all these ladies are just lovely. Elsa and Anna were about a 10 min wait, all the others were just as we could get around the queue. I didn't have as much time as they would have happily spent chatting with me, I had to get my photos and head out. Now to Peter Pan, walk right on, and happy happy people with me the whole time. CMs cheery, fellow guests just loving it. I really want some icecream, but it's already one hour down! So off to 7D where I unsuccessfully try to take a photo of the 10 min wait on the sign. That is really something I have never seen before. I got my back car so I was happy, no time to reride but you could have gone around and around all night if you wanted.

So much to do! Our lanyards have a list of all the offerings and attractions and I'm staring at it like "how am I going to get all this?!" I run on to Winnie the Pooh. I have to say, I haven't seen the cute games in that queue, I think it's SO fun! But again, no time to play, the line is less than 5 mins. Unfortunately, I have not been able to get the weird attraction song out from playing in my head all night long. A word of caution if you ride this late at night! LOL And then on to TeaCups which I never make time for and haven't been on since I was little! and a newly wed couple is a teacup over, they got married at Epcot Italy yesterday!

At this point, I'm sad to find out that I have missed all the HARD real scoop icecream that was available early on, as its getting closer to 1am. That's ok, I run for a Mickey bar. The only time I have is wolfing it down as I head to Space Mtn. It's time to really get cracking on these rides! lol. Space is great, walk right on (a long walk too btw) and so I ride it twice. The stars were really wild with galaxies and nebulas in there! Two is all I have time for (plus my tiara is bouncing around) so I head off to Astro Orbiter. This makes only the second time in my life I can remember riding it. But I ever only ride it at night. It was SUCH a great night with a huge full moon and no cloud cover or wind. Coming down, I decide to pop on to Buzz Spin. Fairly decent score. I like to steer myself. Grab my photos and go.

Time to get a move on! I haven't even hit Adventure or Frontier land yet and I'm less than an hour left! Again, as I'm moving through the park, everyone is super nice, including CMs. There are a LOT of upper staff (like management) plentiful around the park too. It's not a ghost town, I wouldn't have liked that, but there was plenty of room to run around with out hitting a stroller. I saw other more relaxed folks with ECVs as well. I'm sure they appreciated not being cut off constantly.

I leave Tomorrowland with a water bottle to toss in to my bag and head to Jungle Cruise. At 1:30 at night, I'm curious to see how funny my Skipper will be? Well, it was one of the best ones yet! (I'm now at Jungle Cruise obsessed person after falling in love with Trader Sams at the Poly, now I totally get it!) So kudos to our Skipper who almost was hoarse, he had been at it so long, but he was SOOO funny and enthusiastic! It was a perfect punny cruise. And on to Big Thunder, where our train is literally loading us as we walk on to it. I realize as I'm cruising around the mountain that this is the nicest night I have had. The moon is so pretty, and everyone is screaming and laughing so hard in the train having just the best time. I totally know I'm going back around again, but it's going to cut me close. I have another awesome ride and by the time I get off, its 1:57. Can I make it to Pirates? Lets run and find out!

At exactly 2:00, with NO one else in this part of the park, I run up to Pirates and I am literally the LAST guest to ride and I absolutely have no one in the boat and no one anywhere else besides CMs. None of them gave me the vibe of like "Really? It's 2 and you are STILL running to get a ride? Can we ever go home?" like NOT at ALL! They were all like "Come on in!" so cheerful and happy. I'm amazed with all the CMs. They are human after all, and there are SOOOO few tickets of this nature sold, and they are all happy as can be (at least projecting) to provide the same great service. I cannot give them enough kudos, there was not one cranky one in the bunch. And Photopass Cms EVERYWHERE.

At 2:15, I'm making my way back to the exit when I meet a bunch of people I know! And as if it's not late enough, everyone is taking photos in front of the castle Hub because NO ONE is practically left! They were laying all over Main St in front of the castle posing. Super fun! And the Photopass CMs just kept clicking away, they were all amazing.

As we head on to the Ferry, exhausted but still super pumped and excited happy, along with everyone else, I see people literally loading entire bags full of soda pops and waters. One kid had an entire BOX of Mickey Bars he took back with him, the whole box! LOL. It is REALLY unlimited! I only had time for one, but I got a Frozen Banana off of him at least. (He had plenty to share. :D) So I left still eating icecream for the road. Again, as its almost 3 at this point, but all the CMs for transport are just as pleasant as can be.

To sum up:
From 11pm-2:15am, I ended up with:
-Philharmagic
-Cinderella, Rapunzel, Anna, Elsa
-Peter Pan
-7 Dwarfs
-Winnie Pooh
-TeaCups
-Mickey Bar
-Space Mtn x 2
-Astro Orbiter
-Buzz Lightyr
-Jungle Cruise
-Big Thunder x 2
-Pirates
-Frozen Banana and Water to Go

I should mention that if I had timed it better, or if I had wanted, other attractions I wasn't even close to getting to included: Mickey Theater Photos, Tiki Room, Stitch, Tomorrowland Speedway, Barnstormer, Dumbo, Country Bears (really?), Splash Mtn (still die hards riding at night?) and many other attractions.

It is not a skeleton park by any means. That is definitely the most attractions I can ever remember doing in strictly a 3 hr period. Remember though that you CAN get in earlier than 7pm, which means I would recommend having a totally relaxing resort day with plenty of rest, getting in around dinner time, enjoying the park at sunset (my fave time), catching Celebrate & Wishes and Elec Parade (got all those as I came in) and then at closing, ride and ride and ride. It IS worth $158 including tax when you consider a 1 Day Ticket was already $117, and then I knew some that calculated that they ate over $90 worth of snacks and drinks. Not to mention having unlimited fastpasses basically, because everything was just a walk on.

In all seriousness, this ticket should absolutely be selling out. I don't think a lot of people know how really tremendously awesome a deal it is. To basically rent out Magic Kingdom for a little under half the day during hours and a few hrs after. You can ride and see everything, as fast as your feet personally can carry you. (So I do NOT recommend making a long day of it. Just make it an evening ticket and love the fact that you can meet all your princesses and ride rides.

It was definitely one of my more magical times I have ever spent in the MK!

Hope that helps!

Last edited:

Please report.. wouldnt it be awesome is seriously only a few hundred or maybe a couple thousand were there! like a ghostown

The more I think about this the more mind boggling it is.

Disney sells exorbitantly priced tickets to a special after hours event billed as an extremely low crowd event.

So people buy tickets. But not enough people, so now Disney is giving others free tickets to this highly priced, limited crowd event??? To stuff it with people??

I don't even know.... I must be too stupid to understand what's going on.

Disney sells exorbitantly priced tickets to a special after hours event billed as an extremely low crowd event.

So people buy tickets. But not enough people, so now Disney is giving others free tickets to this highly priced, limited crowd event??? To stuff it with people??

I'm just assuming that they had the event capped at "X" number of tickets and have sold way under that. So JUST THE NIGHT BEFORE they send this out with just enough spots available to get up to "X" tickets total.

If that's the case, I don't see the problem with it. Those who paid will get the experience they were promised -- a "small" crowd capped at "X" guests.

I just think they should share what "X" is...

I agree. I would be pretty hacked off if I had just plunked down big dollars for my family to attend this.

I'm just assuming that they had the event capped at "X" number of tickets and have sold way under that. So JUST THE NIGHT BEFORE they send this out with just enough spots available to get up to "X" tickets total.

If that's the case, I don't see the problem with it. Those who paid will get the experience they were promised -- a "small" crowd capped at "X" guests.

And guests who spent big dollars have no way of ever knowing if that's what happened.

I guess. I think if I were attending, which I'm not, I'd feel cheated out of an even better experience.

Though like you said, it might still be super low crowds.

And guests who spent big dollars have no way of ever knowing if that's what happened.
Of course not. That would always be true, regardless of whether they opened it up to DVC or anyone else. You'll NEVER know if they're really capping it, and if so, at what amount. I think they should share that info.

I guess if they start to sell to capacity, and people report back that the crowds are way lower, then that would be enough -- without knowing an actual number of guests they cap at... assuming they don't CHANGE that at some point... ... :rolleyes1

- I think MANY are waiting for reviews on this before handing over the money.
- Most don't want to be guinea pigs on this.
- Add that this is new and probably not widely known, we here are rare, in the general Disney market.
- I would assume the first night is not close to sold out. Other nights folks can cancel after reviews from this.
- Giving a limited number of DVC this perk is good PR from Disney.
- Getting more in is a chance for more folks to talk it up if goes well.
- No different than inviting media and others with comp tickets.

I guess if they start to sell to capacity, and people report back that the crowds are way lower, then that would be enough -- without knowing an actual number of guests they cap at... assuming they don't CHANGE that at some point... ... :rolleyes1

MK CM friend said they were told approximately 3000-4000 was the cap.

- I think MANY are waiting for reviews on this before handing over the money.
- Most don't want to be guinea pigs on this.
- Add that this is new and probably not widely known, we here are rare, in the general Disney market.
- I would assume the first night is not close to sold out. Other nights folks can cancel after reviews from this.
- Giving a limited number of DVC this perk is good PR from Disney.
- Getting more in is a chance for more folks to talk it up if goes well.
- No different than inviting media and others with comp tickets.

MK CM friend said they were told approximately 3000-4000 was the cap.

I was thinking the same thing-DVC members tend to be big Disney fans so presumably they would be good people to offer free admission to this event if they want more buzz about the event since it isn't sold out. I think a lot of people are waiting too to see how this plays out since it is a lot of money.

Wow if it really is only 3000-4000 that will seem quite empty-heck if we got invited for free (we are DVC) when we are there in May I'd seriously consider it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter